Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Electro-Harmonix eh?
    Interesting

• From the manual... For iOS: Audiobus and inter-app audio capabilities :)

• Sounds amazing, but can't see any mention of IAA, AudioBus or AU-X :(

• @Samu said:
    Sounds amazing, but can't see any mention of IAA, AudioBus or AU-X :(

Mentioned here:
    http://www.ehx.com/assets/instructions/mini-synthesizer-app.pdf

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:

@Samu said:
    Sounds amazing, but can't see any mention of IAA, AudioBus or AU-X :(

Mentioned here:
    http://www.ehx.com/assets/instructions/mini-synthesizer-app.pdf

Thanks, so for an appoholic like me it's 'christmas' time this and the 'tape-echo' mentioned in another thread.
    I'm a sucker for retro-stuff :D

• @Redo1 said:
    Electro-Harmonix eh?
    Interesting

Very!

• CC mapping out of the box. Woot.

• Anyone know who developed this?

• @syrupcore said:
    Anyone know who developed this?

Electro-Harmonix

• @hacked_to_pieces said:

@syrupcore said:

Electro-Harmonix

EH brought an iOS developer on in-house?

• Insta crash when you touch the keyboard!! iPad Air, 8.4.1

• @Tickletiger said:
    Insta crash when you touch the keyboard!! iPad Air, 8.4.1

Working fine on Air 2 9.3.2

• @syrupcore said:

@hacked_to_pieces said:

@syrupcore said:

Electro-Harmonix

EH brought an iOS developer on in-house?

Oh sorry I don't know any personal details about the actual person(s) writing or porting the code.

• AudioBus now listing this as compatible. Loving the Strawberry Fields but if the demo.

• How much?

• edited July 2016

Separate iPhone version for 2.99 U.S.

EHX is a big time guitar effects developer, this came out of nowhere for me!

Wait, does CoreMIDI work? Virtual MIDI?

• @Trueyorky said:
    From the manual... For iOS: Audiobus and inter-app audio capabilities :)

I'm wary of these IAA claims that go hand-in-hand with Audiobus. The IAA that comes with Audiobus support is just a tiny subset of the standard and shouldn't be advertised as IAA support. Be careful! Confirm that the app actually can be sequenced via piano roll and has a transport and listens and obeys the
    Host's transport instructions. If Proper IAA support is important to you, be wary and confirm these things before each and every purchase, or you WILL get burned!

• Seems to be lacking a lot of synth basics like waveform choices, proper envelopes, lfo, etc. nice to see EH branching out into this, but I think I'll probably pass on this one.

• @PhilW said:
    Seems to be lacking a lot of synth basics like waveform choices, proper envelopes, lfo, etc. nice to see EH branching out into this, but I think I'll probably pass on this one.

I think the idea is that it's a virtual remake of their gadget from 1980, which looks as much like a Korg Monotron as it does full-featured analog synth.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/eh_minisynth.php

• At 1:35 is exactly "Sunday Afternoon in the Park" (Van Halen):

• It's sort of surprising that pitch tracking wasn't included but they may still be flirting with all of this, not wanting to yet flirt with possible inroads to pedal sales. EH makes great stuff. Really glad to see them on iOS!

• edited July 2016

Watched the video and answered some of my own questions - they claim it does have "Virtual MIDI" to allow you to "plug in an external keyboard or MIDI guitar". (Isn't that actually CoreMIDI? Either a lot of people misuse those terms, or I do!)

Also worth pointing out that the reverb here is supposedly a virtual version of their proprietary Holy Grail Reverb, which was a staple of effect pedal reverbs for years. Heck, they could have sold just a Holy Grail FX app for 4.99 and gotten some attention. (are we going to see a Big Muff fuzz app, for example?)

• How bout a whole suite of their pedals in app form?

• @Tritonman said:
    How bout a whole suite of their pedals in app form?

Yes please.

• Their looper pedals have been catching my eye lately . Been thing of picking one up.

• They sold me with the Holy Grail inclusion. As far as MIDI goes..... :|

• @StormJH1 said:
    Heck, they could have sold just a Holy Grail FX app for 4.99

^ what I'm hoping.

• Pretty sweet sound and fun hooking sliders up to MIDI LFO's.

• YES BUT HOW IS IT?

• Pulled the trigger on the iPhone version. Only a handful of presets, but they are surprisingly varied. Definitely has a warm analog feel to it. Reverb was quite nice as well. MIDI out may not be ready yet, but MIDI In (such as plugging in a keyboard) worked just fine. Keep in mind that EHX is basically completely new to apps and this is a new app.

It's not going to go head to head with some of the great iOS synths we already have, but it's reasonably priced and offers a neat recreation of a vintage piece of hardware.