Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there a transposing ios app?

So.... scenario:

Playing guitar in the Worship band at Church. The song is in a certain Key, and the lead singer can't do it in that Key, cuz their el stupido or something..... So on the fly I need to transpose a song. Is there an app that does that? Does Guitar Capo? I couldn't find the specific function, it's got a nice Capo feature though.

I like https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/matt_maher/lord_i_need_you_ver2_crd.htm it's got a nifty button arrow thing that I click and BOOM. Key change! I sometimes just need to figure out how to play the changed chord, but I've got apps for that ;).

I'm not always connected to wi-fi, well pretty much never unless at work, so ya, there's that.

Comments

• What are you trying to transpose? The actual audio signal coming through your guitar? Or a chord chart?

• OnSong can transpose chord charts. They have to be in the right format to work properly. I do not think it works with PDFs

• @Hmtx said:
    What are you trying to transpose? The actual audio signal coming through your guitar? Or a chord chart?

Ya, jsut basically A chord chart, or a song. Not while playing, but before I play :). I know there are plenty of sites that do it, just need something on my ipad or ipod to have handy. Thanks, I'll re-download onsong and see if it has what I need.

• Wow, onsong is 20.00. I almost think I got it for like 2.99 or free? glad I did when I did.

• Ok, ya this is what I needed. Thank you @Hmtx !

http://onsongapp.com/docs/features/capo/

Difficult Keys
    OnSong is designed to maintain the designated key of a song at all costs. This is important to know because changing the capo of the song will not transpose the song. Instead, it combines the transposition with the capo itself. Let's take a song written in D-flat as an example.

You have a song that is written in D-flat because your pianist is fancy like that.
    You want to be able to play the song, but sadly you don't have fingers like E.T.
    Figuring you can play the song with C chord forms instead, you apply a capo to your guitar on the first fret.
    In OnSong, you simply slide the capo slider in the Style Preferences Menu to the first fret so it knows where you put your capo.
    OnSong now maintains the key of D-flat, but displays chords in the key of C so you can play along with everyone else.
    In this case, we didn't transpose the song at all, but just wanted to be able to play the song in the key that it is written. OnSong modulates the chords in the song down to maintain the key - essentially reversing the transposition that the capo applies.

Transposing With Capo
    What if we want to use the capo slider to transpose the slider? What you'll need to do is adjust the key and the capo. Lets say that you have a song in the key of C and want to transpose to D. With a capo, you'd place the capo on the second fret. In OnSong, adjust the capo from zero to the 2 position and then drag the transpose slider to the D key.

This underscores that transposition in OnSong is one step, and then capo is applied on top of that transposition. The order of operations are:

The song is written and declared in a specific key.
    If the song's key is not declared, the key is determined using another detection method
    Tranposition is then applied to the original key. If the original key was the key of A and we want to play the song in the key of D, OnSong would transpose up by five (5) half steps to bring the song to the key of D.
    Now when we want to play with a capo so we can play in the key of C. Set the capo to 2. OnSong then modulates the chords that are rendered down two (2) half steps to the key of C.
    Toggling Capo

• Don't use an app. Take the time to learn your instrument or higher a teacher.
    It's pretty easy to transpose on a guitar, really. Just count semitones and move your fingers up or down. Or switch shapes and move across. Much easier than it sounds. Pay for a couple of lessons and you'll have it.

• @TedBPhx said:
    Don't use an app. Take the time to learn your instrument or higher a teacher.
    It's pretty easy to transpose on a guitar, really. Just count semitones and move your fingers up or down. Or switch shapes and move across. Much easier than it sounds. Pay for a couple of lessons and you'll have it.

I understand how to transpose, but. My brain doesn't work that quick at it if it's anything other than standard chords. As soon as a G/B or F#4/D is thrown in there, no can do. I know I can simplify the Chords, but I like the variation of the different non standard chords.

Thanks for the advice/input!

• I'm not an amazing guitar player, which might explain it, but I've definitely run into situations on guitar where transposing required changing or simplifying the music some because the way the original was played was dependent on neck position + open strings or hitting a no-longer-reachable harmonic or something like that.

• edited July 2016

Ted, I'm very somewhat proficient at the technique you describe, 3 steps up or down is no problem. More than that it becomes an extra task that can max out my "CPU" and I start to glitch, :D . Things like missing a chord, mess up the vocals or a fill, etc. I would rather not make myself do the extra calculations constantly.

High5, don't feel bad for needing the charts transposed. A "weekly gig" anywhere with a new set list each week can be demanding and has nothing to do with learning your instrument or needing a teacher.

• I'll confess to using the transpose function in iRealPro

• I also use Chord! to help me find a fingering I can play.

• I wish I could transpose /transport Marty Friedman's or Alex Skolnick's fingers onto my own, just for playing. lol ;)

• Transposing up though... hardware capo works for most things, no?

• @syrupcore said:
    Transposing up though... hardware capo works for most things, no?

indeed it does

• edited August 2016

Try this transposing app for iPhone and iPad called Chordmatic: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chordmatic-chord-transposer/id1099475271?mt=8

You enter your chords on the chord keyboard. Chordmatic autodetects your original key, and then you pick a new key or capo position. You can enter complex chords like inversions. You don't have to be on wifi for it to work.