Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multichannel processing Audiobus / iRig PRO Duo

Hello,
I’m looking for following solution:
In Live production - no recording - I need to connect guitar and microphone simultaneously via iRig Pro Duo (or another device) to iPad, then process each channel separately, one amplifier and Vocalive effects for voice and another amp and effects for guitar, and then send it out to the speaker. According IK Multimedia support iRig Pro Duo and Amplitube for iPad solve the thing.

1. Does somebody here have some experience with this solution?
  2. Is there any way how to use two different apps for parallel processing using Audiobus?
  3. Is there another “mobile” device on the market similar to iRig Pro Duo you could recommend? (As I understand there are some problems with battery live or suitable Power charger for iRig PRo Duo.

Thanks a lot for your opinions.

Ivan

Comments

• there are various options to setup different processings on both input channels
    (the method suggested by IK among them)
    but you don't mention output... if all can be mixed into a 2 channel output, it's easy (standard)
    even if you don't want to record, you might consider a recording app just as a host to improve signal alignement (in case that matters)

to be honest I wouldn't overestimate the small form factor of the IK device
    after all, with cabling, powersupply etc there isn't much 'pocketsize' left anyway
    a more bulky interface might be easier to handle
    and of course there's the question of required audio quality

cheers, Tom

• edited July 2016

Thank you Tom,

What a problem do you see with output? I think that I can use outputs on iRig PRO DUO (preferably) or Jack on iPad (where I expect worse quality). But maybe I've forgotten something?

The pocket size isn’t crucial for me. The reason I’m considering iRig PRO Duo is :
    1. Possibility to connect 2 inputs to iPad. I have some experience with using PC with Cubase and VST plugins and external USB Audio card for my purpose. And I also use JamUp and BiasFX apps with one guitar input. But I don’t have any idea how to get 2 inputs into iPad and process them independently (which apps to use). I’ve found many Audio interfaces which should work with iPAd, but I don’t know, how to connect them. Does that mean that I can connect every USB Audio card to iPAd via USB to Lighting connection kit? Is the quality good? And which app to use ? Is Audiobus by itself able to send one input for example to Vocalive and another to BiasFX?

1. Another reason for iRig is 200 Eur software bundle (until end of July) and battery power possibility which I appreciate from time to time. But it also isn’t the most important

I would be happy for every another idea.

Thanks

Ivan

• the input side of the equation is really easy, you can do what you want with Audiobus
    (and some other setups, too)
    I mentioned 'output' because I don't know if the processed signals may go to different amps or channels of a mixing console.
    IOS standard is 1 stereo-output (which is perfectly ok for most applications)
    INTERNALLY the guitar app's output and the vocal processing output are 2 stereo pairs
    you may handle the raw signals, too (for recording without effects etc)
    that's effectively 6 channels from 2 sources, no problem
    but all 'output' is mixed to the main stereo output of IOS

in case you need the output separated, then an additional app AND an interface with multiple outputs are required
    (unlikely, but I mention it just for completeness)

the software bundle is a favorite argument of companies like IK, it's kind of cheating
    noone pays that (imaginary price)
    imh ears they are not comparable to JamUp/BIAS
    (I have Amplitube on the PC myself, got it by 'bonus points' of their shop, tried once, never used again)

an interface decision is mostly influenced by the quality of microphone and instrument input
    for some recordings you may want top quality, for live applications it's less crucial...

cheers, Tom

• The two most common paths:

1. Audiobus with the multi-lane in-app purchase. That will allow you to set up multiple signal chains inside of Audiobus with separate hardware inputs, effects, and (if you want) outputs for each chain.
    2. Kymatica's AUM app. This works really well with Audiobus but AB isn't actually required to use it.
  • Thanks for tips. I've found out that my Yamaga MG 10-XU can be connected to iPad via USB to ligtning cable. I've ordered it and I'll try Audiobus with multi-lane in-app purchase. I hope it should work.
    Thanks
    Ivan