Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Slave AUM to Loopy

I've been trying to achieve this in order to resolve effectrix and Turnado conflict in Audiobus where effectrix sequencer stops responding as soon as Turnado is plugged in. My thinking was to have Turnado in Audiobus and effectrix in AUM. The problem is that effectrix starts when I press start in AUM but I can't now get AUM to respond to loopy in order for the effectrix to start rolling.

Oh dear

Comments

• I've just mapped the same hardware button that starts loopy to AUM transport but this way I need to change AUM's bpm manually which isn't ideal.

• ...and before you suggest to slave loopy to AUM, that is not possible as I have all songs saved in loopy with respective bpms etc.

• Why not just use LINK between Loopy and AUM? Loopy will load your songs at their saved tempos, and adjust all LINK-enabled apps to that tempo too.

I just tried to replicate this setup using LINK. I can open a Loopy track and it sets all LINK apps to my Loopy tempo. I have to start Loopy and AUM separately, and Effectrix starts rolling when I hit play in AUM. Maybe you need Effectrix to start at the exact same moment that you start Loopy?

• @gburks said:
    Why not just use LINK between Loopy and AUM? Loopy will load your songs at their saved tempos, and adjust all LINK-enabled apps to that tempo too.

I just tried to replicate this setup using LINK. I can open a Loopy track and it sets all LINK apps to my Loopy tempo. I have to start Loopy and AUM separately, and Effectrix starts rolling when I hit play in AUM. Maybe you need Effectrix to start at the exact same moment that you start Loopy?

I've just tried it and yes, it works but I can't cope with the delay it takes loopy to start at when it waits for the beginning of the bar. I need an instant start for when I play with a drummer.

I've just tried to swap them and have effectrix in Audiobus and Turnado in AUM and it works but now I can't seem to make Turnado to detect the sync from loopy, it seems to only read AUM's tempo. Annoying.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll keep searching....

• Loopy should instant start if your other Link apps aren't already playing. But AUM won't instant start with it, so Effectrix won't instant start.

• @gburks said:
    Loopy should instant start if your other Link apps aren't already playing. But AUM won't instant start with it, so Effectrix won't instant start.

Exactly. And when I jam with a drummer I often stop the whole session on the 3rd beat and restart on the one which with link is tricky unless it's all played to a click, which at times it isn't.

• Have you looked at "Midibus" ?

• @hacked_to_pieces said:
    Have you looked at "Midibus" ?

Nope but I'm trying to avoid involving extra apps. There's 2 reasons. First, because I'm already using about 10 apps in this set up. Second, I'm cruising at about 98% ram, don't want to choke it ;)

• @supadom

Kaikoo2 came up with a method using midiflow. But he left the forum a few days ago (Long story)

Here's what he pm'ed me before leaving

Thank you for stimulating my interest again to Lemur. Very very thank you.

For a feedback to, I think reChorder from artunmuted is the best chord playing keyboard. I don't go spreading more to forum. Want to share with you my experience with reChorder and midiflow.

This two combined is how I newly found a way to arp to Gadget or directly to control Gadget playhead.

So if you with these, I will tell you further how it is done in simple way to play chord or chord melody progression to Gadget.

You can ask me later privately.

Cheers, Kai

Ya, fully control of Gadget playhead, just one key to record Gadget sequencer without annoying gap.

• @supadom said:

@gburks said:
    Loopy should instant start if your other Link apps aren't already playing. But AUM won't instant start with it, so Effectrix won't instant start.

Exactly. And when I jam with a drummer I often stop the whole session on the 3rd beat and restart on the one which with link is tricky unless it's all played to a click, which at times it isn't.

If you aren't using a click in this scenario (or some other "break loop"), in my experience, you are swimming upstream.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

@gburks said:

If you aren't using a click in this scenario (or some other "break loop"), in my experience, you are swimming upstream.

Nah, you're being pessimistic ;)

That's what I did with my last drummer (still play with him though). The guy I jam with at the moment prefers a decent monitor. I can't blame him as I'd go nuts if I had to play non stop to a click and taking extra care getting on stage sound right is paramount anyway.

I always make sure there is a rhythmical element he can latch onto. No problem.

• Cool, keep him happy!

• edited August 2016

ups, wrong post.

• Ok. I'm back to testing Audiobus and AUM pairing. I used to use minimix for sending click track to the drummer but realised if I used AUM instead I might be able to use AUM metronome routed to a separate out and have extra stuff like filter to put on Samplr (2 pigeons etc).

Well, it is all working beautifully with Link. My problem is that sometimes either for the dramatic effect or because one of the apps is not reading tempo correctly or the drummer got his 1 in the wrong place I restart the session while the whole thing is rolling.

With link I cannot do this because it is always running so I can't be the master and commander of the 'one'. Does anyone know a way of slaving AUM transport without Link and without the need of using an extra app?

• edited January 2017

I ditched loopyHD for GTL/GB combo. Exporting the songs need some work but the workflow and possibilities of GTL make it worth. Linking with AUM is straightforward.
    If you use the separated sends from loopyHD then maybe it doesn't suits to you (GTL has internal fx which make more than I need in live environment) so until AB3 or LoopyMP arrives and due your "saturated" devices my best advice is try to simplify the most you can.

Sometimes we try to do amazing things in performance side which nobody in the crowd notice. At last... It's all about te music, right?

• Are you using the launchpad app as part of your set up?
    I ask because I use that as my central start/stop...it will allow you to send both link and MIDI clock (with the IAP)...and it sends midi start/stop.....so any apps that can use MIDI clock I set to instead of link so I got start stop on them all from Launchpad....as I'm using a physical launchpad too it means I got a nice big button for doing the start/stop.

Are you using loopy to record while you are playing or is everything already looped up...if it is prerecorded then you could possibly use LP instead of loopy.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    I ditched loopyHD for GTL/GB combo. Exporting the songs need some work but the workflow and possibilities of GTL make it worth. Linking with AUM is straightforward.
    If you use the separated sends from loopyHD then maybe it doesn't suits to you (GTL has internal fx which make more than I need in live environment) so until AB3 or LoopyMP arrives and due your "saturated" devices my best advice is try to simplify the most you can.

Sometimes we try to do amazing things in performance side which nobody in the crowd notice. At last... It's all about te music, right?

Not sure about simplify. What I do definitely benefits from effects such turnado and ToneStack so I don't think GTL effects would cover that territory. Yes you are right, many things we do are unnoticed during a live performance but believe me, turnado definitely turns heads.

I see GTL more as a guy with a guitar kind of looper (nothing wrong with that). I'd consider switching but I doubt midi side of things is as developed as in loopy.

You did give me an idea though. Maybe I can try slaving everything to AUM. Mmmmm...

• edited January 2017

... and after testing seems I found why the magic isn't happens @supadom!

MMC stands for MIDI Machine Control. Its designed for controlling the transport on tape and multitrack machines. If the multi-track was the MMC master, you press "play" on the multitrack, the sequencer will start. Or in the example below, if you make the sequencer the MMC master, pressing play will start the multi-track. MMC really just controls the transport and sends a locate point--not the timing; its just a switch that says "Go here, then start, stop, rewind, fast forward". What you do to complete the picture is send MTC from the MMC slave.

SMPTE (Society of Motion Pictures and Television Engineers) is still in use in Film and Video today and is embedded right into digital video so no tape tracks are required. In the days of tape recorders, we used SMPTE and striped it on the last track of the tape recorder. On playback, a standard audio cable took the output to a MIDI interface and controlled the sequencer from it.

MTC stands for MIDI Time Code. Its a series midi messages that tells other devices what time it is at any given moment in hours, minutes, seconds and frames. MTC is simply understood as a conversion of SMPTE timecode that goes down a MIDI cable. It is sent in quarter frame intervals as MIDI system exclusive data.

MIDI Clock is yet another option, not to be confused with MTC, though they are similar. Originally, MIDI clock sync was just a bunch of blips that told devices when to start, stop, continue and follow the tempo of the master device. This is perfect for making synths and samplers synchronize their LFOs, and effects delay time. It also passes tempo which is important when syncing arpeggiators, drum loops and other time based sounds.

tweakheadz.com/sync-mmc-mtc-smpte/

So it seems AUM only slaves its transport to MMC and loopy only sends Midi Clock...

If
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Machine_Control

And
    http://www.midiflow.com/documentation/#controller-remapping-special-controllers-message

Then @supadom = :smiley:

so maybe midiflow can read MC and convert it to MMC?

Do you have another MMC source that you can link AUM? Do you know about bomebox?

• edited January 2017

https://www.bome.com/bome/images/bomebox_overview.jpg

MIDI Translator Pro in a Box
    The BomeBox can run basic or complex mapping and scripts on the MIDI data in realtime: load and execute MIDI Translator Pro project files for all your MIDI needs.

https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox

• @supadom
    If I am understanding you correctly, then sometimes during a performance, things get a little off. So you restart the loopy session and you want everything to sync back up with Loopy. Basically get everything back to 1. and since loopy is your hub, you already have things mapped and song tempos set.

I just did a few tests. I could not get AUM to receive loopy's clock until I put it in an audiobus slot. I turned of link in AUM. I have loopy sending midi clock to AUM or virtual.

I also midi mapped a pad to restart loopy session. The same pad I Midi mapped to toggle play on AUM. If you double tap(since AUM play is a toggle) the pad, Loopy will go through its restart sync thing and AUM will stop and start its play head. Maybe try something like that if you have an extra pad or button you can spare.

• @supadom said:
    Ok. I'm back to testing Audiobus and AUM pairing. I used to use minimix for sending click track to the drummer but realised if I used AUM instead I might be able to use AUM metronome routed to a separate out and have extra stuff like filter to put on Samplr (2 pigeons etc).

Well, it is all working beautifully with Link. My problem is that sometimes either for the dramatic effect or because one of the apps is not reading tempo correctly or the drummer got his 1 in the wrong place I restart the session while the whole thing is rolling.

With link I cannot do this because it is always running so I can't be the master and commander of the 'one'. Does anyone know a way of slaving AUM transport without Link and without the need of using an extra app?

Does your drummer have an iPhone or iPad? In my setup, we use Link and the drummer uses his own iPad just for the click track. It's constantly rolling along as I control the BPM and start/stops on my iPad. I could be missing something important in your setup, however.

• @gmslayton said:
    @supadom
    If I am understanding you correctly, then sometimes during a performance, things get a little off. So you restart the loopy session and you want everything to sync back up with Loopy. Basically get everything back to 1. and since loopy is your hub, you already have things mapped and song tempos set.

I just did a few tests. I could not get AUM to receive loopy's clock until I put it in an audiobus slot. I turned of link in AUM. I have loopy sending midi clock to AUM or virtual.

I also midi mapped a pad to restart loopy session. The same pad I Midi mapped to toggle play on AUM. If you double tap(since AUM play is a toggle) the pad, Loopy will go through its restart sync thing and AUM will stop and start its play head. Maybe try something like that if you have an extra pad or button you can spare.

I may be wrong ,but Loopy recordings ,made on the fly during the season ,would be gone.
    I think it would be better to have AUM as master and loopy as slave within IAA. The downside is that AUM can't map midi to tap tempo. Link is great but needs a way to restart counting.

• @Korakios Loopy has a restart session binding option that will kind of resync everything without resetting or deleting the on the fly loops. Its different than a session reset, which deletes everything.

• @gmslayton said:
    @Korakios Loopy has a restart session binding option that will kind of resync everything without resetting or deleting the on the fly loops. Its different than a session reset, which deletes everything.

I found it, thanks :) . I was hoping it would reset Link too but at least I learned something new!

• edited October 2017

@supadom Did you managed it finally? Something that you want to share with us? :wink:

• @Dubbylabby said:
    @supadom Did you managed it finally? Something that you want to share with us? :wink:

Nah, AUM doesn't do slave. I can totally understand that as it most likely means loads more coding and then product support.

I'm all about syncing to circuit right now ;)
    That definitely works

• External groovebox are amazing clic masters!

Do you have some performance record? I will be very happy to see what are you doing with all those stuff bruh :wink:

• @Dubbylabby said:
    External groovebox are amazing clic masters!

Do you have some performance record? I will be very happy to see what are you doing with all those stuff bruh :wink:

Yes they are! I wish I’d know that earlier. I’m still compiling a sound set for circuit but I’m also very close to make a short vid. :}

• Great! Tag me when you upload it please :blush: