Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FM essentials, free Yamaha synth

Comments

• @mgmg4871 said:

>

I've tried with the old MX49 and it's a no go...

I have ver 1.01 samu. Is there a update to version 2 or is it another keyboard?

It's aparently a 're-release' of the MX line with a new firmware and some colourful options, blue, white and black.
    The D/A is supposed to be new and improved too.
    (There is a separate web-page at Yamaha for the 'new' version).

Don't know if Yamaha is going to release a firmware-update for the old MX line.
    I guess it all depends on how much has changed on the inside...

• @Samu said:

@mgmg4871 said:

>

It's aparently a 're-release' of the MX line with a new firmware and some colourful options, blue, white and black.

Many Thanks.

• @mgmg4871 said:

@Samu said:

@mgmg4871 said:

>

Many Thanks.

I spoke to the guy at zzounds where I purchased the mx. He said there is a ver 2, that was out of stock. That would have been good info at time of purchase which I did via telephone. So I am returning this one, and waiting for ver 2, which should be in stock in a week.

• @mgmg4871 said:

>

I spoke to the guy at zzounds where I purchased the mx. He said there is a ver 2, that was out of stock. That would have been good info at time of purchase which I did via telephone. So I am returning this one, and waiting for ver 2, which should be in stock in a week.

Glad you got it sorted out...
    The "Out of Stock" comment is a classic as version 2 is so 'new' it's hardly available anywhere :D
    (Last time I checked here in Sweden I got end of October as preliminary delivery date for version 2).

• @Samu said:

@mgmg4871 said:

>

Glad you got it sorted out...
    The "Out of Stock" comment is a classic as version 2 is so 'new' it's hardly available anywhere :D
    (Last time I checked here in Sweden I got end of October as preliminary delivery date for version 2).

Other than the ability to unlock fm essential, im not finding much info on other features. Do you have a link? Thanks

• @mgmg4871 said:

Other than the ability to unlock fm essential, im not finding much info on other features. Do you have a link? Thanks

It was an 'unofficial' post from a Yamaha rep. on one of the many Yamaha related forums, I'll see if I can dig it out again. Safari doesn't 'cache' all forum posts so it's not in my browser history :(

• Thanks DeVlaeminck. I dont see any other added features here that are not in version 1.

• Now I am thinking it might be simple to unlock the app if it recognizes MX49 by midi sysex. (a simple sysex send and return)
    Some midi sniffing would be handy but unfortunately Ι don't have an MX.
    Hope I gave someone an idea.... ;)

• @Korakios said:
    Now I am thinking it might be simple to unlock the app if it recognizes MX49 by midi sysex. (a simple sysex send and return)

That would be one way to do it...
    That's why I 'speculate' that an app from a company Yamaha has bought might be able to unlock it too :)

• @Samu said:

@Korakios said:
    Now I am thinking it might be simple to unlock the app if it recognizes MX49 by midi sysex. (a simple sysex send and return)

That would be one way to do it...
    That's why I 'speculate' that an app from a company Yamaha has bought might be able to unlock it too :)

This has been the most unfortunate roll-out for what appears to be a great synth.

• edited August 2016

Guys, only the new ones are class compliant.. The MX/49 Bk/blu.. So far as I know this is your problem here.. Unless there are special drivers for the older models.. I was just in the music store today, Sam Ash.. These just came in last week..If you'll notice only the Blk/blu models advertise the FM essentials synth.

• Spoke to a guy at Yamaha today. He said version 2 had a hardware update for the USB to work with iPad. He said there would be no firmware update for older model.

• He also said it allows functionality with FM Essentials and Cubasis, audio and midi.

• @mgmg4871 said:
    He also said it allows functionality with FM Essentials and Cubasis, audio and midi.

That makes sense since there is already and AudioUnit-Extenion in the FM Essentials app that is useable in Cubasis and the keyboard will most likely unlock that one too :)

• @mgmg4871 said:
    He also said it allows functionality with FM Essentials and Cubasis, audio and midi.

I guess it would be cubasis le though

• edited August 2016

@BiancaNeve said:

@mgmg4871 said:

I guess it would be cubasis le though

Ooops, I need to do some reading :)
    http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/mobile_apps/cubasis_le/feature_comparison.html

• edited August 2016

FM Essentials as an AU doesn't seem to like iOS 10 at the moment...glitch city when I add a second instance.

All other AU seem fine so it's conceivable that when iOS10 ships FM Essentials will be unusable as an AU even after unlocking.

• Has anyone on the planet unlocked this yet? :p

• Just bought the new Yamaha MX 49 BK w total iOS integration.

• AND a RAV battery pack to boot!

• @Telstar5 said:
    Just bought the new Yamaha MX 49 BK w total iOS integration.

How did the unlocking work? And is the synth still unlocked after you disconnect?

• What actual synth architecture is the MX mk2? Is it actually AWM2, or more than that (or not even that)?

• Is it just me or is everyone else thinking that it'd be superb if Primal Audio would add individual feedback control and modulation to each operator (and while at it, make it stop starting up on the same preset patch each time I open it!)?

• @u0421793 said:
    Is it just me or is everyone else thinking that it'd be superb if Primal Audio would add individual feedback control and modulation to each operator (and while at it, make it stop starting up on the same preset patch each time I open it!)?

Nope, you're not alone :)
    I somehow feel Primal Audio's focus is on the Reason side of things...

• @Korakios said:

This would be worth to try... We need an MX 49/61 V2 owner who is willing to check the sysex response on the following sysex requests FM Essential seems to send out:

1. Identity request: F0 7E 00 06 01 F7
    2. Bulk dump request: F0 43 nn 7F 17 0E 00 02 F7 , where nn = 21, 22, ..., 2F
    3. Parameter request: F0 43 30 7F 17 0E 00 02 F7 and F0 43 30 7F 17 36 00 41 F7

This could be done e.g. with MIDI-OX on Windows by connecting via USB to the MX.

• Plug to hardware synth and is unlocking forever. I have unlocked in local store

Pl> @sirdavidabraham said:

@Telstar5 said:

How did the unlocking work? And is the synth still unlocked after you disconnect?

@sirdavidabraham said:

@Telstar5 said:

• @foxal said:
    Plug to hardware synth and is unlocking forever. I have unlocked in local store

I've done that as well...

If my iPad would 'dive' I can only hope the stores still carry the MX so it can be unlocked again :)
    (I would be happy to pay IAP for 'unlock' and to be able to use multiple instances as AUv3. Currently all AUv3 instances share the same sound. I call it a bug but it's apparently designed to work like that).

• edited September 2017

I called AU problem a bug too. No? Pity :( Anyway, we have 2 instances - IAA and AU

• @Samu said:
    apparently designed to work like that

I'm totally stealing that line for the next time someone reports a bug to me.

"Naww.. it's designed to work like that!" :D