Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Retronyms Hook Overview Tutorial

I have been beta testing Hook for about 2-3 weeks and so I figured I would make a few videos for it.

This first one is just a general overview of how the app works. Not sure if it shows anything new but hope it helps.

I have a couple more coming and will add to this thread once complete.

Part 2

Part 3

Comments

• does hook have an option to change the size of clips on the clip screen so that you can make them larger or smaller and have more clips in view?

• I would really like a clip mute page, with at least motion sequencing capability since its not a midi squencer so that the mutes could be recorded

• @kobamoto Not that I am aware of. You can just scroll around. It has 12x12 grid. Maybe a zoom function could be added. I can send that request in and ask if that is possible.

• cool, cause sometimes you want that monome grid size vibe and sometimes you want an mpc vibe as well as some other vibes in-between. this app and Remixlive or launchpad is going to make a nice combo

• I'm guessing hook should be hitting the App Store tonight, assuming "Thursday" means "you can get it Thursday".

Congrats @Retronyms!

• edited July 2016

Yeah..... I want that!

Thanks..

Edit... WICKED..

• Tell me, does it do this? I've got, say, 90 seconds of some crazy lady talking about wanting to join a circus. Let's assume it's an MP3. Can I quickly slice that into 90 equal clips? And then — could I possibly export them from Hook to, say, the modstep sampler?

• @ExAsperis99 not sure this is the app your looking for. You can't exactly export individual audio files. And the slice loop function is to take the audio clip and put slice markers in it, in order for it to loop at different tempos. Essentially.

Would be cool to find an app that could do what you are asking. impc pro can take a sample and chop it to pads equally, up to 64, I think. No real export options for the individual chops but you could play and sequence the 64 pads. iMPC has one of the better sequencers on iOS In my opinion.

• Quick demo song I put together with Hook.

• edited July 2016

alas. Yes I think you're right. I've got iMPC in that role, but the exporting is a problem. But how can I get these well sliced samples into a daw? How can I play them into a track? AUM?
    Found the answer, which is yes.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/4956/impc-pro-iaa-node-support-through-cubasis

• Thanks for the tutorials, very informative, did you know you loose sound in video 2 @10:40?

Also wish you spoke a bit louder, (small detail)...

• @soundklinik Yea I forgot about that. I only have my iPhone to record videos with and with 2GB of free space I can capture about 11 minutes of footage. The last minute or so is going over flux which I cover in video 3.

I am also working on improving the quality of my videos. I will make sure my voice is louder in the next ones.

Thanks for watching.

• Is it possible to record in a phrase whilst playing other loops?

• No Apple Music support?

If they only support Spotify it's a deal breaker for me. I use Apple Music and since they opened up the possibility for apps to use songs this summer I've been hoping for some of the DJ apps to implement it like they have with Spotify.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    alas. Yes I think you're right. I've got iMPC in that role, but the exporting is a problem. But how can I get these well sliced samples into a daw? How can I play them into a track? AUM?
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/4956/impc-pro-iaa-node-support-through-cubasis

I believe that in impc pro you can Audiocopy each of the slides one by one (after you have assigned them to pads I think). It takes a while though. So not ideal.

You could try BeatTwirl. It's pretty broken (not undated for ages) but it does auto detect slices at different sensitivities and then batch export them all to its iTunes folder (so you'd need a computer to grab them). But then you'd have slices of different lengths of course.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I believe that in impc pro you can Audiocopy each of the slides one by one (after you have assigned them to pads I think). It takes a while though. So not ideal.

You could try BeatTwirl. It's pretty broken (not undated for ages) but it does auto detect slices at different sensitivities and then batch export them all to its iTunes folder (so you'd need a computer to grab them). But then you'd have slices of different lengths of course.

Actually - just use BlocsWave if you want equal length slices. Assign to pads and then batch export all the pads as separate wav files. Works really nicely.

• Interesting video. A bit quiet, as others have said, but informative. I've gone from thinking this was a toy to halfway believing I could find it useful, IF the developers fix the bugs and add AudioBus, etc. One to keep an eye on.

• edited July 2016

@DaveMagoo said:
    Is it possible to record in a phrase whilst playing other loops?

Unfortunately no, when I tried, the sequencer stops and let's you record audio into a clip that you trim and slice. Only start and end can be edited.

I am using the free phone version on iPad.
    QUESTION: Is there a way to resize the blocks so They all fit (6 tracks horizontally) in view?

BUT, it has some nice features like running IAA fx, the wet/dry can be adjusted per track and I recorded a loop and imported it into Audioshare no problem...

• @soundklinik said:

@DaveMagoo said:
    Is it possible to record in a phrase whilst playing other loops?

Unfortunately no, when I tried, the sequencer stops and let's you record audio into a clip that you trim and slice. Only start and end can be edited.

I am using the free phone version on iPad.
    QUESTION: Is there a way to resize the blocks so They all fit (6 tracks horizontally) in view?

BUT, it has some nice features like running IAA fx, the wet/dry can be adjusted per track and I recorded a loop and imported it into Audioshare no problem...

I was told they will implement this possibly in the next update. It was their #1 request.

• Can someone please explain whether Hook or iMPC pro would allow me to:

1. EASILY import recorded material (um, "loops") so that I can arrange them in song form (i.e., A-A-B-A); and
    2. Play that song form automatically, so that I don't have to push something to get from "A" to "B"...

Also, what is the BASIC difference between these apps? They seem quite similar and are from the same developer. iMPC is double the price of Hook.

Thanks!