Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

EasyBeats 3 about to drop

EasyBeats has been on my iPad for a long time, one of my first drumming apps, but its pretty basic and has mostly just gathered dust. The new release, version 3, is apparently coming out Thursday, and is certainly upping the ante:

• All New Theme-able User Interface
  • New zoomable pattern editor
  • Effects complete with recordable automation
  • Now supports up to 64 Steps per bar
  • MIDI Clock Sync
  • WiST Support
  • AudioBus Support
  • Share via Email, SMS, Facebook & Twitter

Demo video here:

The automation and grid effects seem easy to use, I wonder if this will be usable in the AB effects slot... Looks like the price will be $1.99 at release, probably.

Comments

• Very big step forward. I used to have lots of fun with this app - seems I need to revisit :-)

• Kind of strange that they want you to buy pro 2 version for 1.99 and then when 3 comes out you'll get another 60 % off of 3. What good will 2 be to me?

• strange? That's straight up nonsense

• I have the original app, but don't really use it. I don't know if this new version will be enough to make me stop using DM1 or not....I kind of doubt it...

• Easybeats 3 is available in UK App Store now for £1.49. ($1.99?)

• Now in US for $1.99

• Not bad for $1.99.

• edited March 2014

• Shame you can't chop up drum loops and spread em onto the pads :(

• Maybe Audioshare might work with this :-)

• Like it...a lot! But it lacks some pretty basic features like ACP and chop :(

• edited July 2013

Their website easybeats.net does mention that it has cropping and ACP

"Sample cropping, Choke Groups, Adjustable Step Count, Adjustable Swing, MIDI Clock Sync, WAV Export, AudioCopy, WiST, AudioBus."

Is that not the case?
    Does it have only Ac and AP?????

• It has sample cropping, and I'm thinking it only has Audiocopy....meaning you can copy out your sequence. I've found both of those features

• Any comments on the number and quality of samples included? Typical 808 & hip hop presets or is there anything interesting and quality? I know EasyBeats 2 had a user community where you could import and share presets from other people, not sure if that is here yet for EB 3, and if it's there how good it is? A lot of the user presets in EB 2 were junky.

• edited July 2013

It has audio copy and paste, and is AB supported. The community is still there but not much content yet.
    Update: I think JMSexton is right. It only has Audiocopy. Audio paste in description only refers to within the app.

• edited July 2013

Sent the developer an email asking for audio paste. This iTunes nonsense really detracts from an otherwise well done app.

• I think Audiobus support makes it usable even without audio paste.

• So how are the samples?

• edited March 2014

• How is it with sync'ing to DAWs such as Auria, Cubasis, or Meteor?

• Last night it was on sale for 1.99! I got it, but haven't checked it out yet.

• @Simon -Thank you. Haven't read dischord yet this morning.

• Not bad for $1.99 Can you apply effects to separate sounds?

• Effects can be automated across different patterns but they are global not individual for each sample.

• edited March 2014

• edited July 2013

two questions for those that have it.

1) does it have MIDI support? (can i plug in my MPK mini and bang out on pads?)

2) any kind chop lab type feature where i can import drum samples and place them across the app's pads?

• Be darned if I can find any midi settings.
    For now samples must be import through iTunes.

• This is one of the best groove box-drum machine type apps out especially when audio paste into
    The pads arrive and it does have midi clock sync I mailed the Dev to ask about this and this was
    His reply.

EB3 is a midi clock client only and as yet doesn't have a interface to indicate that. You won't find it appearing as a client anywhere because it just listens to the default midi session. At the moment it will listen to the midi clock when ever its audio system is active.

Easybeats will stop its audio system when you exit to the home screen or enter another app (to save battery and properly suspend itself). It will keep its audio system running under one of two conditons. Either a beat is playing when you exit, or you are connected to AudioBus. If you are using AudioBus just enable EasyBeats as an input and it will listen to MIDI sync. If you are not just make sure a beat is playing when you exit the app and it that will force the audio system to continue. You can then use an app that supports Midi Clock out to stop start playback and adjust tempo.

I've so far tested this with a couple of apps that support Midi Clock out (mainly Loopy) both with and without AudioBus. I have also tested with the iRig Midi interface connected to a computer running Ableton live. Works great, but I do need to add more user interface feedback as to what is happening.

Whether you are using an app or a separate interface as the master just make sure you are sending out Midi clock to the default session. On most apps this usually appears as "Network Session".

I hope that helps get you on the right track.

• I agree with you, easy beats is one of the most interesting drum machines out there. We hope the development get the right way...

• edited July 2013

so it has midi clock sync but does not support devices via MIDI IN?

can you record drum sequences un-quantized?