Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modulating FLUX:FX with Modstep - Solved! (Modstep Template)

Hello all.
I've been working on this today for obvious reasons (reason no.1: it's awesome).

FLUX:FX is amazing, but the MIDI implementation is weak and the documentation confusing. Who knows why they chose to give all the info in an odd and misleading combination of hexadecimal and decimal.

Have got everything working now:

Getting it connected seems to have no logic, but it worked to set Modstep as the output and set FLUX:FX to listen to all MIDI channels. I'm planning eventually to have FLUX:FX on a separate dedicated iPad, doing that it should work to just send all the information to that iPad and let FLUX:FX hear everything.

These are the relevant controls that I figured out:

Touchpad 'X' Control: CC1
Touchpad 'Y' Control: CC2
Touchpad 'Touch Down': C#-1
Touchpad 'Touch Up': D-1
Preset Selection 1-6: C1 to F1
Effects Blocks 1-5: C2 to E2
Input Level: CC3
Output Level: CC7
FX Blend: CC4
Sequencer Start/Stop: G2

This is everything that I feel is useful for performance. There are a few other misc controls existing including 'record' button for sequencer and a tap tempo which is redundant when using automated tempo from Modstep.

Getting the effect blocks on/off to work previously didn't work, but on saving and reloading the next day it worked immediately on pressing play. I previously tried literally every note that Modstep is capable of putting out but on reboot it worked after simply accusing the the given hexadecimal translated to correct note numbers.

Hope this is useful!
Oscar

Comments

• Sounds brilliant... And a lot of work.

Might flux's sequencing capabilities be a workaround? (I've been embracing workarounds lately. Much more productive.)

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Sounds brilliant... And a lot of work.

Might flux's sequencing capabilities be a workaround? (I've been embracing workarounds lately. Much more productive.)

It'll be worthwhile for fully sequenced effects changes and modulations!

I'm sure the sequencer can add even more functionality (especially as it's MIDI controllable) but definitely not comparable to Modstep control.

• Anybody feel like Flux somewhere took an audio-quality dive over the last few iOS updates? I swear I used to get much better sounding stuff from the glitch/reverse effects but something changed, very possibly something in my brain.

• @rhcball I've not been using the more crazy effects recently, so not noticed that. I love the sounds from it in general though. I'm still holding out hope for an update with proper MIDI implementation one day. It's even promised in the manual!

• When I booted my progress up this morning the effects blocks inexplicably worked! So I've got all parameters working. I'll share Modstep template when I get the chance to edit and post it.

• I'm not sure exactly how to share a Modstep template but the performance info above is all correct and complete now.

• I Think you Can share it with iTunes. This is The only way, i think. Copy from ITunes to Dropbox or so. Thanks!

• @OscarSouth said:
    I'm not sure exactly how to share a Modstep template but the performance info above is all correct and complete now.

use ifunbox.
    goto modstep=>sandbox=>(whatever folder you saved it in)=>save to pc.
    an alternative is just save the entire template folder using itunes onto your pc.

• Will try it with FLUX:FX play . If it works it would be great!
    Thanks @OscarSouth

• @OscarSouth - thanks for this! Very useful info.
    And apologies for our confusing documentation.

• @NOIISE said:
    @OscarSouth - thanks for this! Very useful info.
    And apologies for our confusing documentation.

Any chances for LINK or more advanced Audiobus remote controls?

• @RustiK what would you like to see as extra in the audiobus remote controls?

• I can't think of too many extra things inside the app that'd be useful for AB:R myself. Effects blocks on/off and touch down/up would be obvious choices from my perspective, but AB:R is going to start getting crowded very quickly after adding those things. Nobody likes an overcrowded Audiobus Remote!