Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Another Gadget wishlist

I hope it's not too redondant, I've been playing with Gadget (a lot) for a week and I find myself writing more than ever.
This is what I miss so far, focusing on the piano roll.

• Basic note editing scripts (invert, reverse, divide, multiply, transpositions, octave up/down, ...).
    Thesys, Modstep, Step Poly Arp, Arpeggionome have some very good ideas in that matter. I miss this a lot.

• An option to automatically duplicate the content of a 4 / 8 bars into 16 (rather than adding measures and copy parts manually every time you just want to add 16 modulation to shorter scenes).

• Loop mode in piano roll + start point in piano roll.
    This would allow a better workflow for working on longer chord progressions. You could loop a 4 bar measure and focus on entering events for that specific part. (Modstep handles that well by deactivating certain portions of a clip). This would also allow some nice polyrhythmic fun when changing loop size.

• Select all button.

• Quantize switch for after recording.

• Random notes and random timing features.

• In the piano roll, it would be nice if clicking a note would highlight the row, to know where to place new notes.
    In the same way it would be nice to hear the note you enter in the piano roll (switchable).

• Individual swing per clip or per track.

• Midi export per clip rather than the whole session export.

• Midi clip import.

Non piano roll wishes:

• - Renaming scenes + re-arranging scenes order with simple drag and drop or up/down arrows for handling song structure. Edit: you can do this already, I just missed those.

• Launch individual clips (rather than the only option to launch whole scenes)

• And midi out + audio tracks of course.

Comments

• Scenes are easy to rename, press function and tap in the far left colun and rename in the pop-up.

Long-tap and drag to re-arrange scenes.

The rest of the ideas are good and some fairly often requested over at the Korg forums.

• Thanks a lot @Samu
    Long-tap and drag to re-arrange scenes especially will help me a lot, sorry I missed that. Nice to find out.

I'm new here and I figure probably most of this ideas have been discussed already but there are some functions I miss so bad when composing. Some are obvious for a sequencer. It's kind of frustrating even though the beauty of Gadget is the simplicity, there are some basic DAW functions I can't help wishing were here :)

• normalize in bilbao/abu be nice since i often forget to normalize samples in Audioshare & I'm lazy.

• @stelvio said:
    Thanks a lot @Samu
    Long-tap and drag to re-arrange scenes especially will help me a lot, sorry I missed that. Nice to find out.

I'm new here and I figure probably most of this ideas have been discussed already but there are some functions I miss so bad when composing. Some are obvious for a sequencer. It's kind of frustrating even though the beauty of Gadget is the simplicity, there are some basic DAW functions I can't help wishing were here :)

Welcome to these rooms @Stelvio. Some good thoughts in your list.

• @stelvio said:

You're Welcome!

Gadget has its share of 'wish it had this and that arghhhh' and some hidden things lurking behind long-presses and quick-swipes(for fine adjustment of values etc.). While many of the ideas around Gadget are or have been discussed it's always refreshing to re-visit those ideas and improve on them as time goes by.

I've been feeding most my ideas and refining them overtime in new posts to Korg at the Gadget forums in hope of that some of them might even get implemented :D
    https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/community/topics/200037165-Korg-Gadget

Don't know if the Korg Twitter feed would be a better way to feed the ideas as it seems to be a bit more active than the forum?! (Maybe just tweet the forum-topics to @korg_iapps?).

• edited July 2016

Thanks. :) I will try that.
    In my wildest dreams I imagine Korg implementing expressive midi so that you could record polyphonic pitch modulations (per note) via keyboards like Animoog, Ondes, Synthcaster, TC-Data, Noise or the Seaboard / Linnstrument kind of expressive midi controllers. Or Gadget could have its own forward thinking keyboard. I'm Dreaming. But there's no sequencer I know that handles expressive midi well, this would go in the direction of modulating everything Gadget already has.

• edited July 2016

OT but running into a weird issue now and I'm not sure there's a point starting a thread: in Gadget LE I could launch scenes even if they didn't reach the end (bypassing quantize sort of). I did that by tapping a scene twice. But in Gadget now I can't. If I double tap it keeps on waiting the end of the scene before launching another one.

Any clue?

edit: my "Midi Sync In/Ext/Auto" option is greyed out in the pref, the BPM is also the same for all songs, could it be related?

• Is Link on?

• @stelvio said:
    OT but running into a weird issue now and I'm not sure there's a point starting a thread: in Gadget LE I could launch scenes even if they didn't reach the end (bypassing quantize sort of). I did that by tapping a scene twice. But in Gadget now I can't. If I double tap it keeps on waiting the end of the scene before launching another one.

Any clue?

edit: my "Midi Sync In/Ext/Auto" option is greyed out in the pref, the BPM is also the same for all songs, could it be related?

You have link enabled. Disable it to get back that functionality.

• Oh thank god it's back thank you guys. I've looked hard in the prefs I promise. Much love.

• I have an little wish with Korg Gadget...

Would'nt it be nice to have the insert effects button also to be shown in the screenshot below...?

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    I have an little wish with Korg Gadget...

Would'nt it be nice to have the insert effects button also to be shown in the screenshot below...?

Yepp, I find it kind of strange that the channel-strip with ifx button wasn't included as standard edit view...

• @stelvio said:
    I hope it's not too redondant, I've been playing with Gadget (a lot) for a week and I find myself writing more than ever.

• Basic note editing scripts (invert, reverse, divide, multiply, transpositions, octave up/down, ...).
      Thesys, Modstep, Step Poly Arp, Arpeggionome have some very good ideas in that matter. I miss this a lot.

• An option to automatically duplicate the content of a 4 / 8 bars into 16 (rather than adding measures and copy parts manually every time you just want to add 16 modulation to shorter scenes).

This would allow a better workflow for working on longer chord progressions. You could loop a 4 bar measure and focus on entering events for that specific part. (Modstep handles that well by deactivating certain portions of a clip). This would also allow some nice polyrhythmic fun when changing loop size.

• Select all button.

• In the piano roll, it would be nice if clicking a note would highlight the row, to know where to place new notes.
      In the same way it would be nice to hear the note you enter in the piano roll (switchable).

• Midi clip import.

Non piano roll wishes:

• - Renaming scenes + re-arranging scenes order with simple drag and drop or up/down arrows for handling song structure. Edit: you can do this already, I just missed those.

This has probably been mentioned but I find it difficult to enter a precise tempo. A pop-up to enter it would be nice. And variable tempo?

Plus everything else mentioned in this and other threads. B)

• Generally it's a quite tedious task to precisely set values in Gadget...
    So yes a gesture like 'double tap' on a value could bring up an optional dialogue with option to enter a value or reset to default value. Some places in Gadget use 'Long-Tap' to reset a value to it's defaults but it's not consistent across the app...

Overall it's quite handy to 'quick-swipe' up or down on a value to do the final adjustment after 'tap-drag up&downing' the value close enough.

Also I've noticed the that leaving the knob-motion set to 'circular' instead if 'linear' makes it a bit easier to make precise adjustments.

Gadget can be improved forever that's for sure :D

• @anickt said:

@stelvio said:

• Select all button.

• Midi clip import.

Non piano roll wishes:

This has probably been mentioned but I find it difficult to enter a precise tempo. A pop-up to enter it would be nice. And variable tempo?

In the tempo window there are four invisible buttons above and below the whole number and decimal number. Tap them to increment and decrement the numbers, respectively.

Peace \/
    chisel316

• @Samu said:
    Generally it's a quite tedious task to precisely set values in Gadget...
    So yes a gesture like 'double tap' on a value could bring up an optional dialogue with option to enter a value or reset to default value. Some places in Gadget use 'Long-Tap' to reset a value to it's defaults but it's not consistent across the app...

Overall it's quite handy to 'quick-swipe' up or down on a value to do the final adjustment after 'tap-drag up&downing' the value close enough.

Also I've noticed the that leaving the knob-motion set to 'circular' instead if 'linear' makes it a bit easier to make precise adjustments.

Gadget can be improved forever that's for sure :D

You're right. Circular is much better. I see that quick swiping the tempo is a little better. Thanks

• @Samu said:

I had it set to 'linear' but you're right, 'circular' is smoother/less jumpy. Gonna leave it at 'circular' now.
    Quick swipe is indeed the best way to do single increments.
    Thanks for the tips Samu!

@chisel316 said:
    In the tempo window there are four invisible buttons above and below the whole number and decimal number. Tap them to increment and decrement the numbers, respectively.

Thank you too :)

• @chisel316 said:

Thanks for this!

I guess it's too time to start a 'Not so obvious stuff in Gadet' thread :)
    There is quite a lot of 'didn't think about it that way' things in Gadget...

• @chisel316 said:

@anickt said:

@stelvio said:

• Select all button.

• Midi clip import.

Non piano roll wishes:

Peace \/
    chisel316

I see... Need a stylus for that. My fingers get in the way. LOL

• @Samu said:

I was thinking the same, lots of Japanese Easter eggs in the app

• @R_2 said:

@Samu said:

I was thinking the same, lots of Japanese Easter eggs in the app

I was thinking more 'How to do it...' things...
    But easter eggs are always nice...

Kamata has the game-mode when holding down the yellow button for a few seconds :D
    (It actually alters the wave form while a song is playing, good way to create random waves).

• @Samu Yeah, i meant 'how to do', but they feel like Easter eggs because Korg doesn't really tell us about them. So we discover them :)

• If I could have one new feature added, it would be to double click on a control to set it back to its default value.

• @chisel316 said:
    If I could have one new feature added, it would be to double click on a control to set it back to its default value.

Some parameters in some Gadgets (not all) can be set to their default values by a long tap...
    It's not consistent behaviour in all the Gadgets though which is a shame.

• @Samu said:

@chisel316 said:
    If I could have one new feature added, it would be to double click on a control to set it back to its default value.

Some parameters in some Gadgets (not all) can be set to their default values by a long tap...

Thanks for the tip.

Peace \/
    chisel316

• @stelvio said:

If I understand correctly, the option is already here : when you long tap on the '+' to add measure to a sequence, then you are prompted to duplicate the existing measures... You can even select the ones to copy.
    Peace.

• Awesome! Thanks @ElGregoLoco @Samu for the hidden features, this helps a lot :)

• @ElGregoLoco said:

@stelvio said:

If I understand correctly, the option is already here : when you long tap on the '+' to add measure to a sequence, then you are prompted to duplicate the existing measures... You can even select the ones to copy.
    Peace.

Always forget about this. Thanks for the nudge....

• @Samu said:

@chisel316 said:

Hey Samu, could you give us a couple of examples of where long tap works? I'm aware of the new one on undo but that's all.

Thanks

• I'm having a hard time working with other apps (soundprism, arepegggionome, chordion, chordpolyapp...) when writing in Gadget. I created a template with an audible signal telling me in which region I'm recording onto but it's still a very sketchy solution. Sadly Gadget doesn't seem to have launch scene, record or pause buttons in the Audiobus dock.

If someone came up with a good workflow to switch between apps / record chords generated in other apps I'd be curious to hear.