Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WTF Do Those Knobs Do? Sector

edited July 2016 in Creations

This time (audio only) I look at the MAP; SEQ and WRP buttons of Sector.

…don’t forget to fave, retweet, subscribe, send it about and generally publicise it, and the others. Ta.

Comments

• I use sector very regularly, so I'm looking forward to seeing what chaos you can wrangle out of it. Thanks very much.

• edited July 2016

Terrific. I still find it a bit confusing (how are you reducing the probability per sector? I can probably figure it out but not immediately obvious*), but you get a few concepts over that were like multiple lightbulbs.

Sector is an app which from the start says: This is fantastic, but (in some weird sub-Meyers-Briggs way) makes my limited spatial understanding freeze in place.

Compounded perhaps by the function labeling (RND: Round? Random? Ronaldo?) which has allowed me to 'get' one or two at a time and then forget them again by the next time and thus there rarely has been.

Thanks very much for this. Like this what-the-fuckery series plenty.

Added: Brilliant using the five words. Key bit of teaching design there...

*Yes, remember now :)

Word of the day: Bespokize.

• Nice tutorial, everything clearly explained. It's also worth noting the process of importing a sample. For example including the bpm in the title ('example 120bpm') allows the app to work with it more effectively with regard to tempo, rate locking and the sectors and beat value parameters.

I'd be interested to learn more about how you use Sector creatively, beyond it's basic operation.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I still find it a bit confusing (how are you reducing the probability per sector? I can probably figure it out but not immediately obvious*)

When you select a sector, you can lower the connection probability with other sectors by sliding toward the center of the cercle (outside of it, on the waveform,; you should see a colored bar and the proportion camenbert move)

You can create and enhance the connections by sliding away from the center

I hope I'm clear enough, the manual on the kymatica website is pretty easy to read

Sector is maybe my favorite iPad only app ;)

• As before, these aren’t really tutorials, there’s already excellent reviews out there from the usual people who review stuff, and a lot of those constitute good tutorials also. All I’m ever going to be doing with WTFknobs is looking at a few specific knobs/buttons/controls, only, and going deeply into those. It’ll be an area of a synth that is prone to misunderstanding or worse, just glossing over and pretending to understand, but never fully knowing why a thing does certain stuff, etc. I’m not interested in explaining all of the features (in fact I have to remember to stop explaining things outside what I’m focusing on, or I’d be there all day) and for basic usage, check with the manual or someone else’s tutorial — I recommend everyone else.

• @pierre said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I still find it a bit confusing (how are you reducing the probability per sector? I can probably figure it out but not immediately obvious*)

When you select a sector, you can lower the connection probability with other sectors by sliding toward the center of the cercle (outside of it, on the waveform,; you should see a colored bar and the proportion camenbert move)

You can create and enhance the connections by sliding away from the center

I hope I'm clear enough, the manual on the kymatica website is pretty easy to read

Sector is maybe my favorite iPad only app ;)

Indeed. @JohnnyGoodyear , don’t think about it as ‘the probability per sector’, think about it as ‘the probability of the subsequent sector’. The Map is a Markov-chain generator, and a markov chain is a memory-less process, unaffected by prior activity that got you to where you are now (in the same way that previous lotteries have no connection whatsoever with whether your numbers come up this week) — it is only the link between where we are now and where we go next. Hence, a ‘chain’. In that way, what you’re affecting is the balance of probability between what possibles there are to choose from next. From any selected sector, which you have to assume will be “the one we’re on” at some stage, if you raise the arc-shaped slider of another sector inward or outward (or, yes, could be the same sector, to loop back to itself) then you’ll change the balance of likelihood of that other sector being chosen as the subsequent sector from the selected one. Doing that slidey-thing on another sector than the selected one creates a directed arrow between the selected sector and that candidate sector.

• edited July 2016

@u0421793 Thank you. Odd beasts, we humans, with our funny learning natures and memories. Markov for me (until now) has always been the Bulgarian dissident killed in London by an umbrella-as-poison-delivery-system.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @u0421793 Thank you. Odd beasts, we humans, with our funny learning natures and memories. Markov for me (until now) has always been the Bulgarian dissident killed in London by an umbrella-as-poison-delivery-system.

Now we’re not in the EEC, we can probably get away with that sort of thing a lot more.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Aagggghh. I came here to spend the twilight of my day catching up on ios music chat, but I've just emerged from a 20 minute 'knowledge worm' of reading about Bulgarian communists and Danish spies.

Cheers. :confused:

• I learned some things! successful weekend!
    Good payoff at the end too...enjoyed that.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Aagggghh. I came here to spend the twilight of my day catching up on ios music chat, but I've just emerged from a 20 minute 'knowledge worm' of reading about Bulgarian communists and Danish spies.

Cheers. :confused:

My pleasure Colonel :)

• Nice video. I forget how amazing and deep sector is sometimes