Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

First complete production. Please give honest opinion.

edited July 2013 in Creations

I used Beatmaker 2, Sampletank, and of course Audiobus. I also used the essential pack that was releases a few weeks back. I get a lot of info from a lot of the users on this forum. This is by far the most active music forum for ios and I've learned a lot of about music in general aside from ios production.

I'm just starting out so I have a lot to learn so I love any criticism. I do different types of hip hop and some r&b. Please let me know what you think of this track and what you think I could do to improve it.

Comments

• nice beat, good fills. If it's meant as a beat for people to spit on, you may have to EQ a little of the low mids to make room for vocals.

• Thanks for that tip. I've never had anyone spit on any of my tracks so I haven't come across that issue yet. Never thought about it until you mentioned it. Anything else you can think of?

• @Wario954

This is my take. You have created a good vibe just using Beatmaker and Sampletank. You can augment your palette of sounds by using other apps not necessarily those used by everyone else. Experiment with other apps and sounds to develop your own "voice".

The track sounds like a typical hip hop groove. However, I think you need to make this track stand out; make it unique. Layer sounds for some original textures or use your own samples for a "what's that?" moment.

Harmonically, it feels like the track needs a contrasting section; it needs to go somewhere before it comes back to a resolution. The fades and segues are ok and could have been used as pivot points to a modulation or to some kind of middle 8. I know you are writing in a hip hop mode but don't be afraid to bring something new into the mix.

Length of track: 5 minutes plus. Now that's way too long. Try to say what you want to say within 3 minutes. That is, everything worth saying has to be said with those first three minutes. Then you can expand on the cool bits.

My production chops were enhanced when I started to listen to diffrent genres. So I'd recommend this kind of approach as it will lead to versatility and "new" vibes. Listening to the same genre could lead to "duplicating" what other producers have done and prevent you from creating and developing your own style. My advise is: try not to get lost in the crowd; stand out.

Good first arrangement and production and kudos for having the courage to let others review your production. That tells me you have an open mind which is essential for today's ever changing music landscape. Hope this was useful :-)

• I enjoyed it, the production quality was really nice overall. I agree that it was a little long, at least as it is with no lyrics or other melodic direction/bridge/solo to add variety. But it was a good beat and I thought it had a lot of nice layering.

• When the filter affects the whole track, how about having something new come in there? Also, a variation on the the main sequence might be nice too. The basic production is fine, but it needs what Frank Zappa used to call "eyebrows" (his way of saying "expression").

• First I just want to say thanks to you guys for even listening let alone giving me some tips. Sorry for the late reply.

@frankiejay

Thanks a lot for breaking everything down for me. Listening to other genres and using my own samples are tips I have received or read about before but you definitely brought it home with your comment.

You mentioned modulating and moving to a middle eight? Are you saying maybe change the key or add 8 bars of sounds that are different from the main section of the beat?

@periurban

The idea for the filter sounds great. Do you think I should keep that sound filtered as well or leave it dry or try both and keep whatever sounds good?

@jessie_ohio

I appreciate that. I definitely will be mindful of the length going forward. If someone ends up putting lyrics on it I can always extend it then.

Also, I noticed you all agree it needs some kind of contrasting section but could you give me an idea of a change I could use or maybe a song I could reference. I tried a little variation during the verses with the drums and instruments (or at least thought I did) but it didn't come across as enough so an example from you guys would help tremendously.

One more thing, did the mix sound ok?

• @Wario954 - some tips. This track is in A minor tonality. In other words, we are in the key of C major. Are you with me? Ask yourself, what other chords are in this key? D minor, F major, G major, E minor etc. So some strong cool changes could be G major, F major or you can basically use all the chords in the key of C major or its relative minor, A minor. These are just suggestions that could enhance the track.

Another way of looking at this is to use colours: you need some reds and greens on a track that is all blue. Hope this helps.

• edited July 2013

For what it's worth, presuming this is a hip hop beat for someone to rap over, I don't really agree with FrankieJay's feedback or that the track needs 'eyebrows' (though I love that phrase). I think @FrankieJay's feedback is great and thoughtful but not necessarily appropriate for a hip hop beat. Keep it simple and leave room for an MC to do their thing. If you wind up working with someone and they have different parts you can change up the beat to match it but at this point, I think it's pretty solid.

• I really enjoyed this! I can see this track going in many directions. But I definitely hear a female singer on this!

• Thanks again for the suggestions. I see where both @syrupcore and @frankiejay are coming from. I was always under the assumption to make hip hop beats that are not too busy because they can take away from the vocals. At the same time some changes if used properly can enhance the instrumental. I just have to figure out when each is needed.

I swear I've received these same tips but the way you guys explained it really opened my eyes. It's greatly appreciated.

@daath7

I'm happy you enjoyed it. You seeing kind of a vision for it was great to hear. That's something I struggle with now.