Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Will anything ever replace Ableton on ios?

Warning: This is a venting post.

I've been trying for a few years now, ever since the beginning of this forum to find workaround after workaround for what are very simple tasks to do on Ableton. It just aint happening. Yes, with Ableton link, there are more options and several new apps have features that come close but the process is still fragmented and it's that one thing about of a workflow list of maybe 10 steps that end up killing that creative flow and I have to go back to engineer mode to come up with another workaround.

Einstein said doing the same thing over and over expecting different results was the definition of insanity so I'm going to take a break from ios now and revisit my old version of Ableton from a decade ago which still is vastly superior to many current apps.

Comments

• Cough, live was pretty primitive until 5.2 or something...

• Look for a release on July 21st for the closest thing to Ableton...."Hook", by Retronyms...for iPhone/iPad.

• Nothing fully I guess?!

I've had Ableton Live Lite and kept it update (9.6.2 at the moment) since it became 'free' with Gadget and sure it has some good things but mostly it's a very 'unsparing app' with a dated UI that for me doesn't inspire creativity at all...

I'm thankful we have the options to choose what tools to use.
    I chose Renoise and Logic Pro X on the Laptop and Gadget + Cubasis on the iPad among other awesome instruments and apps that I can use as 'sound-sources' to the apps I use on the Laptop.

• edited July 2016

well, not everyone is a kind of DJ/live performer
    for production of tracks I find Ableton pretty boring and restricting - if you're not the 4 to the floor kind of guy
    so... don't need any replacement
    I'm quite happy with all the stuff that's available to tape down ideas
    at the end of the day the stuff ends in the most simple and outdated looking mulitrack audio editor...
    (hardly dare to call it a DAW in todays sense, though it probably was the first one on PC... )
    SAW-Studio may look laughable - but: it gets the job done
    http://www.sawstudio.com/products_sawstudio.htm
    click at your own risk >:)

cheers, Tom

• edited July 2016

@gjcyrus
    I know exactly what you mean.
    Wanting Live on portable touch screen is the reason I got Bitwig on Surface pro

Closest to Ableton on iOS for me is Modstep + Cubasis... Modstep has 8 iOS audio outs that track into Cubasis...Modstep being the clip launch page of Live, Cubasis the timeline page...

• For me the answer is no. When it comes to tasks like editing audio that require fine control I still find a mouse to be much more effective than a touchscreen. Then there's all of the efficiencies of the self contained midi and audio ecosystems of computer DAWs. Things like Midi and audio routing that are still a PITA in iOS are non issues in computer DAWs. I've come to accept that this is just how things are rather than wishing I could replace my computer with an iPad.

• edited July 2016

that's exactly what I meant by 'job done'
    ever tried to cut sample accurate for an hour or more ?
    shure you don't need it, if you only play dice with sample loops... but frankly... that's too boring for me

cheers, Tom

• I already replaced Ableton Live with Su___x, Cubasis, Gadget, etc..
    Bought the full Suite edition and almost never use it, keep meaning to put it up for sale because I'm so much happier working with all the fantastic apps on iOS.

• Why people always speaks of Sunvox like it is Voldemort?

• edited July 2016

@theconnactic said:
    Why people always speaks of Sunvox like it is Voldemort?

I have no problem saying Sunvox. Sunvox really is a cool app for what it is... just don't say S#nv@x three times and you're fine.

• I recently got my mits on Ableton Live Suite and absolutely love it for it's flexibility and ability to feed my creative spirit. The depth and power of the app is something Modstep is attempting to do, so as far as what might be Live like on iOS, Modstep is the answer. Honestly, it comes down to flexibility and availability of sonic tweaking features. I think ModStep is doing a good job of trying to take the platform there...so it will be cool to see how it evolves over the next year or two.

That being said, since getting Live, I've only remotely touched my iPad Pro for music making. I find myself mostly laying down patterns and sequences in Gadget and bringing the Midi over to Live for further refinement and instrumentation. I love the Gadget>Live scene, and hope that they will offer export to Live Midi in a future update.

• iOS certainly has not replaced Logic Pro for me, but I never expected it to. I got the iPad for its advantages - quick to access, comfortable and mobile, and the touch surface makes all the difference for some applications. Incredibly cheap apps affording a very wide range of possibilities. I adapt my workflow to it, not the other way around. It's not the answer to everything, just another set of tools.

• @echoopera said:
    I recently got my mits on Ableton Live Suite and absolutely love it for it's flexibility and ability to feed my creative spirit. The depth and power of the app is something Modstep is attempting to do, so as far as what might be Live like on iOS, Modstep is the answer. Honestly, it comes down to flexibility and availability of sonic tweaking features. I think ModStep is doing a good job of trying to take the platform there...so it will be cool to see how it evolves over the next year or two.

That being said, since getting Live, I've only remotely touched my iPad Pro for music making. I find myself mostly laying down patterns and sequences in Gadget and bringing the Midi over to Live for further refinement and instrumentation. I love the Gadget>Live scene, and hope that they will offer export to Live Midi in a future update.

A 100 times this. Ableton Suite is amazing. Specially with some of those amazing M4L plugins out there. I mostly export my projects for final tuning in ableton. Mod step is definitely the closest I've seen to ableton on IOS. I'm hoping they eventually make add audio tracks and a timeline view to basically BE Ableton on iOS lol.

• I've used Live (Standard) primarily for the Simpler and Sampler, both of which I think are great. I bought the Novation Launchpad (mini) and Launchcontrol, thinking that I would get into the clip launching thing, but it didn't suit what I was trying to do. I really should do more with it...

• @Igneous1 said:
    I've used Live (Standard) primarily for the Simpler and Sampler, both of which I think are great. I bought the Novation Launchpad (mini) and Launchcontrol, thinking that I would get into the clip launching thing, but it didn't suit what I was trying to do. I really should do more with it...

The clip mode is really great for me...it just fits the way I think...and it is what I love about Modstep and Gadget on iOS.

• I am still waiting for something pro to fill in the multitrack audio editing void on ios- I like Hokusai - but I seriously need something like Soundforge or Wavelab-