Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jam up question

edited December 2012 in Support and Feedback

Having trouble when I try to record a second track with a different amp/effect setting. When I try to record the second track the output sound is the sound from the first track. Please help :) thanks!

Comments

• Whoops, wrong section sorry. I am using MT DAW btw.

• That's maybe because you didn't arm the second track. The first one should still be playing if you didn't mute it.

• Thanks for the reply Sebastian but yeah, I've been doing that.

• I'm sorry, but I'm not completely following what you're saying. Are you saying that the effect for the guitar is the same as the effect you were using on the first track despite the fact that you changed it in JamUp?

• Now I'm confused again.

• Yeah,sorry. I recorded track one with a twin reverb amp, then I go to record track 2 with a matchless and distortion but the tone I am getting is the twin reverb tone, even after dialing up the matchless setting.

• That's pretty wild. I have to think that's a bug. I've never experienced anything like that (of course I know that doesn't mean anything really, but just saying). I'm going to try to replicate it now.

• I think I might have duplicated this. I did just what you said and started track one with a clean amp and a little reverb. Wrapped that up and went into MT and disarmed track one, created a new track, armed it, selected jamup as source. Then I navigated back to Jamup via Audiobus and swapped out for a new hi gain preset. As soon as I strummed I realized it wasn't the high gain setting. Upon further investigation though, I've realized it was just a dry signal and not the original setting I had on track one. Maybe that part is different from what you're seeing, but I'm definitely seeing an issue around this. An interesting few notes, when I ejected Jamup from Audiobus immediately the high gain amp popped into the headphones. I then added it back into Audiobus (without closing it down) and I got the dry signal again. I ejected again and this time I shut down the app. I then added it back via audiobus and only then was I able to record my new track with the new setting. Is that sort of what you're seeing too?

• That's exactly my experience boone51. Just checked again. It is a dry signal, you are right. Thanks. Maybe a bug? Have to say Audiobus is such a great thing, thank you Sebastian and Michael for creating this.

• In MT DAW, you need to be sure the source you're monitoring and recording is jamup and not the mic input. Could that be what you're experiencing?

• edited December 2012

Nope, I made sure that the source selected was JamUp (second one down with jamup logo next to it actually). I did A LOT more testing last night and found various setups that *would work fine the first time through. The one I had the most consistent success with was changing the preset in Jampup before switching over to MT. Then I would hear the new tone, use AB to switch over to MT, arm the new track (and could still hear new tone). MT would then automatically disarm the first track (feel like this was important) When I did it this way (as opposed to coming into MT first and arming new track then going back to Jamup and swapping out effect) it seemed to work every time. I sort of looked at it as if Audiobus really wanted to handle everything and when I was opening up MT I was sort of inserting myself into the process. One of these three apps didn't like me doing that I guess.

• Cheers boone51! Will check this later. Thanks again.

• edited December 2012

I had some similar weirdness with JamUp, too, in trying to change patches in MT DAW. My workaround (and once I figured this out after about 25 minutes of swearing, it went quickly) was to leave JamUp's input on one track (say, T1), record the track, and then cut-and-paste the track in MT to an empty track (T2). I then deleted the original on T1 (since it was copied on a new track T2) and recorded the next guitar patch onto T1. When that was done, I copied the new guitar to a third track and deleted it from T1, freeing that track for more recording. Hope that helps someone work through this issue.

Other than that minor issue, Audiobus worked very well - completely impressed!

• edited December 2012

JamUp right now reacts to MIDI start messages by disabling something in its chain - sometimes the amp but I've heard of other modules as well. The guys who make it (PositiveGrid) are looking into it but you won't see any updates in the next days (21st - 28th) because the App Store is shut down for developers - can't release updates.

• Thanks, Sebastian. It's definitely not unusable at the moment, but an update will be welcome whenever it lands.

• Had a similar thing happen with JamUp and Loopy. When I went back into JamUp I didn't notice it at first but the amp had been moved (up) out of the (yellow) signal path thing. Similar to cutting effects on or off.

Had me scratching my head for sure.

• Pretty sure this was happening before audiobus, fwiw.