Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GADGET QUESTIONS

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@SpookyZoo said:
Hey @brice Thanks. For me the biggest hurdle with Gadget is how best to get Midi data into the app so that it is in synch.

This is big topic with a really broad range of ways to tackle it. Different apps (Pro Midi, ModStep etc) midi controllers(keyboards, Virtual Midi apps etc), synch methods(Midi Clock, Link etc).

It would be great to see a post on how you go about this. If you're interested that is. :)

Link is your friend when it comes to this :).

I didn't want to derail @brice 's excellent Gadget Sidechain thread so I've branched it out here.

I really want to like Gadget but every session leaves me with questions and hurdles.

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 I've even wished that all your Gadget posts here were collected and available as a downloadable PDF

Q1 So may I ask how you would tackle the above?

Q2 Is there a way for Gadget to have a minimum velocity when played from a midi keyboard? Gadget is the only app where the velocity range makes my inputted data sound bad. I did set up a minimum velocity preset in Midiflow for this but that's an extra step I would be keen to leave out.

More questions to come. ;)

Comments

• I was having trouble with keyboard velocity as well. After each take, I went down to automation and drew a smooth curve for all the notes. After that it sounded much better.

• edited July 2016

My current interest is: how's Gadget working with Cubasis when it comes to adding guitars, vocals and other stuff? How do you guys and gals do this? Thx in advance.

• edited July 2016

Q3 I have 4 Gadgets open and they're all listening/recording to the midi input. How can we target a single gadget?

Q4 How do you swop a channel's Gadget? Didn't we use to be able to swipe between them?

Thanks in advance

• edited July 2016

Q3 - there is a midi switch on each channel strip, deselect all but one and only that channel should be responding to incoming midi data.

Q4 - use the Function button in the mixer view and the little gadget icon at the top of each channel is marked as Change - selecting that allows you to change the gadget on that channel.

• edited July 2016

Thanks @PhilW Much Appreciated.

The default 'All' label for that Midi button certainly threw me.

Good tip @ion677 cheers.

• @cabo said:
    My current interest is: how's Gadget working with Cubasis when it comes to adding guitars, vocals and other stuff? How do you guys and gals do this? Thx in advance.

Bilboa imports samples up to 5 secs. Abu Dubai allows 10 second long imports. It's somewhat limiting - but you can do it.

• edited July 2016

@Halftone said:

@cabo said:

Bilboa imports samples up to 5 secs. Abu Dubai allows 10 second long imports. It's somewhat limiting - but you can do it.

thanks, but I meant the other way round, using Gadget sketches in Cubasis to add full vocal lines and guitars that suit the song I'm aiming for

cause that's what I usually do, sing and play, and then try to build a complete song arrangement around that

• @cabo said:

cause that's what I usually, do, sing and play, and then try to build a complete song arrangement around that

I prefer to work this way as well, but I believe Gadget is currently optimized to work in a way where you finish the instrumental part first then import into Cubasis for vocals and other audio tracks.

This would be a reason for long time request for audio tracks in Gadget, upon release of Gadget 1.0 Korg did in fact promise this...but it's been a long time coming :)

As it stands Ruismaker by @brambos has now convinced me that a great suit of tightly focused AU "Gadgets" in Cubasis may be a better goal for me to aim for. Just need more AU's like that.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Q3 I have 4 Gadgets open and they're all listening/recording to the midi input. How can we target a single gadget?

Q4 How do you swop a channel's Gadget? Didn't we use to be able to swipe between them?

Thanks in advance

Q4 you can swop gadgets with arrows on both sides of track name at top of page when in single gadget view.

• @sirdavidabraham said:
    This would be a reason for long time request for audio tracks in Gadget, upon release of Gadget 1.0 Korg did in fact promise this...but it's been a long time coming :)

I wish they never had (THEY wish they never had I suspect)....I've spent far too long here imagining how good and cool that would be when I should just get on with getting on...

• @mgmg4871 said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Thanks in advance

Q4 you can swop gadgets with arrows on both sides of track name at top of page when in single gadget view.

Hey thanks. However this swops between tracks rather than swopping out one Gadget for another. Good tip to list here nontheless.

• Q4: function > change in the mixer view

or tap the scene name at the top of the screen when you are in Piano roll view

• Q2 - no idea about velocity really. Gadget will just accept whatever velocity value it's sent I think. You could try changing the velocity sensitivity on your hardware keyboard if it lets you.

• Q1:

Recording midi into Gadget is great fun but needs some setting up.

One tip is to create lots and lots of 16 bar scenes, and run Gadget through them all while recording external midi in. This allows you to record way more than 16 bars. You can then choose the best bits from your performance.

My favourite apps for recording midi in include:

• StepPolyArp (link)
    • Thumbjam (link)
    • sound prism (link?)
    • Guitarism
    • Animoog keyboard
    • Magellen touch pads
    • ModStep (link)
    • TC Data
    • Poly
    • DrumJam (link)
    • Fingertip midi
    • Infinite Looper

There's not much to it. For the ones that are time based set both Gadget and the other app running in sync, then hit record in Gadget and start playing the midi in.

It's up to you if you turn quantise on or not in Gadget.

If the midi notes of your performance aren't quite in sync then you can always correct that by moving them in the piano roll of Gadget later.

• Q? -- did we loose the ability to double tap in the piano roll to advance the play-head? It doesn't work for me anymore. Maybe I missed something but it was there before the update.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@mgmg4871 said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Thanks in advance

Hey thanks. However this swops between tracks rather than swopping out one Gadget for another. Good tip to list here nontheless.

Sorry, read question wrong. You're welcome.

• Does Module have to be installed to use the Gadgets that it bequeaths? I am working with limited disk space here.

• @rhcball said:
    Does Module have to be installed to use the Gadgets that it bequeaths? I am working with limited disk space here.

Yes. although i don't think gadget actually takes any extra space later even though it says it needs 1gb more.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@rhcball said:
    Does Module have to be installed to use the Gadgets that it bequeaths? I am working with limited disk space here.

Yes. although i don't think gadget actually takes any extra space later even though it says it needs 1gb more.

are you sure you can't uninstall module afterwards? I thought you could.

But I also think you're right - about the space too. I think Module and Gadget share all their samples.

• @TozBourne said:
    Q? -- did we loose the ability to double tap in the piano roll to advance the play-head? It doesn't work for me anymore. Maybe I missed something but it was there before the update.

Gadget still starts play from the bar double-tapped in the time-line for me. iOS 9.3.1.

• Thanks Matt!
    This should be it's own thread. I for one thought about soing this but your step by step guide qith tips really fot me going. Im sure there are many others that wpuld benefit from this guide IMHO.

I really wish one could load up midi drum clips/patterns into Gadget to use at anytime and any song without having to record then again via midi in.

Thanks!

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Q1:

One tip is to create lots and lots of 16 bar scenes, and run Gadget through them all while recording external midi in. This allows you to record way more than 16 bars. You can then choose the best bits from your performance.

• StepPolyArp (link)
    • Thumbjam (link)
    • sound prism (link?)
    • Guitarism
    • Animoog keyboard
    • Magellen touch pads
    • ModStep (link)
    • TC Data
    • Poly
    • DrumJam (link)
    • Fingertip midi
    • Infinite Looper

There's not much to it. For the ones that are time based set both Gadget and the other app running in sync, then hit record in Gadget and start playing the midi in.

If the midi notes of your performance aren't quite in sync then you can always correct that by moving them in the piano roll of Gadget later.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Q1:

• StepPolyArp (link)
    • Thumbjam (link)
    • sound prism (link?)
    • Guitarism
    • Animoog keyboard
    • Magellen touch pads
    • ModStep (link)
    • TC Data
    • Poly
    • DrumJam (link)
    • Fingertip midi
    • Infinite Looper

Have you tried recording Fugue Machine in Gadget? It is my favorite next to Thumbjam.

• edited July 2016

Hey @Matt_Fletcher_2000 Thanks for the tips. Appreciated! I hope to be trying a few of these out tonight.

edit: D'oh, found the below by tapping on the preset name.
    An iM1 question... Anybody able to direct me to the iAP section? I've just lost 5 minutes searching. Feeling like a newbie, I've not had any time to play the past few months and I've forgotten everything!! ;/

• edited July 2016

(could be me)
    the iaps are hidden in the program / sounds list at the top (tap on 'store') .. yeah, the presets

• @cabo said:

@Halftone said:

@cabo said:

thanks, but I meant the other way round, using Gadget sketches in Cubasis to add full vocal lines and guitars that suit the song I'm aiming for

cause that's what I usually do, sing and play, and then try to build a complete song arrangement around that

I'm not sure about Cubasis, but what works for me with Auria Pro is to load Gadget as an AudioBus input, with Auria in the output. An audio track with the Gadget output shows up in Auria. You can use the AudioBus side bar to control transport in both apps, with Link keeping the tempos in sync. Works great, though it would be nice if Gadget had multi outs.

• edited July 2016

GADGET QUESTIONS...

Q5 - Is it possible to erase notes from just 1 bar of a 4 bar section using the 'clear notes' function or do the notes have to be 'selected' first.

Q6 - I'm sure Gadget finally got an undo function. Where is that hiding?

Wasn't hiding, was it.

Thanks

• Q5 - Is it possible to erase notes from just 1 bar of a 4 bar section using the 'clear notes' function or do the notes have to be 'selected' first.

The notes have to be selected first.

Footer of the Edit page. It only shows up after you edit some notes (in other words when there is something to undo). Long press it to bring up an undo history. B)

• @wim said:

@cabo said:

@Halftone said:

@cabo said:

I'm not sure about Cubasis, but what works for me with Auria Pro is to load Gadget as an AudioBus input, with Auria in the output. An audio track with the Gadget output shows up in Auria. You can use the AudioBus side bar to control transport in both apps, with Link keeping the tempos in sync. Works great, though it would be nice if Gadget had multi outs.

was thinking it might work like that somehow, will give it a try in Cubasis, thx, wim

now with the natural sounding new drum and bass gadgets I thought it could make a good combo using both apps together, since now I just stayed inside Gadget when playing with it

• Yes, they work beautifully. The first thing I did when I got them was to whip up a very convincing 12 bar blues backing track to jam over for fun. Unfortunately that ended up costing me another $20 because then I just had to get Module so I could add keyboards. Sigh. :#

• @wim said:

Q5 - Is it possible to erase notes from just 1 bar of a 4 bar section using the 'clear notes' function or do the notes have to be 'selected' first.

The notes have to be selected first.

Footer of the Edit page. It only shows up after you edit some notes (in other words when there is something to undo). Long press it to bring up an undo history. B)

Thanks - I never knew about the long press!!