Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sidechaining in Gadget: How and Why

2»

Comments

• Props for taking the time to put this together

• @brice. Fantastic post, you should be writing manuals for apps. I didn't think of using the sidechain to create rhythmic patterns, great idea!

• Side chaining noise or record scratches or other 'textures' to create a rhythm is something I want to try.

• @mrufino1 said:
    @brice. Fantastic post, you should be writing manuals for apps. I didn't think of using the sidechain to create rhythmic patterns, great idea!

Thank you for your vote of confidence. Glad you enjoyed the post. Though I can't take any credit for using sidechaining as a rhythmic effect. That's been going on long before my time. I'm just a messenger.

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Side chaining noise or record scratches or other 'textures' to create a rhythm is something I want to try.

Definitely! Was playing around with some of those factory vinyl sample in Bilbao earlier; some interesting results. Also, try applying 2 sidechain effects on one channel. Same source and with different sources. More interesting results, though very extreme ducking going on.

• @brice said:

@mrufino1 said:
    @brice. Fantastic post, you should be writing manuals for apps. I didn't think of using the sidechain to create rhythmic patterns, great idea!

Thank you for your vote of confidence. Glad you enjoyed the post. Though I can't take any credit for using sidechaining as a rhythmic effect. That's been going on long before my time. I'm just a messenger.

While that may be true, you still reminded me so I thank you. Side chaining while mixing to duck a sound is something I understand, but that's usually a problem solver or a pumping effect for my bad electronic music. But I started a new tune tonight using a rhythmic idea, maybe it'll be less bad electronic music. We shall see...

• continues to randomly use compression without understanding it or trying to learn about it at all

• @rhcball said:
    continues to randomly use compression without understanding it or trying to learn about it at all

This was my alcohol strategy for a good few decades...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@rhcball said:
    continues to randomly use compression without understanding it or trying to learn about it at all

A couple DUIs forced me into an undesired education/rehabilitation process, not sure if there's a government-mandated equivalent for understanding audio processing. Would be kinda cool though if the county sheriff knocked down my door cuz the bass drum was coming in way too loud, drag me off to producer school...

• @rhcball said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@rhcball said:

A couple DUIs forced me into an undesired education/rehabilitation process, not sure if there's a government-mandated equivalent for understanding audio processing. Would be kinda cool though if the county sheriff knocked down my door cuz the bass drum was coming in way too loud, drag me off to producer school...

This is a good idea. I spent three weeks in ICU and three months in rehab and learned nothing about mixing anything more than butane.

• R_2R_2
    edited July 2016

This awesome explanation from @brice deserves another bump (for those who missed it) :)

• I think this thread should potentially be a sticky on the forum. The information provided here doesn't just apply to Gadget. Anyone who is mystified by compression would be served well by giving this a quick read. Incredibly well written. Kudos.

• @rhcball said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@rhcball said:

It really is coming down to this isn't it? There's been so many good albums (in terms of ideas) over the last 15 years that I can't listen to because they are compressed all to shit and sound terrible. Something has to be done.

• Thanks for the tutorial, i really needed that.