Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can I use multiple instance of the same app in Audiobus?

I doubt this has not been asked before so I guess the forum search is just not that great.

Can I use multiple instances of the same app in Audiobus and send them to a single DAW app.

Comments

• @azlo said:
    I doubt this has not been asked before so I guess the forum search is just not that great.

Can I use multiple instances of the same app in Audiobus and send them to a single DAW app.

No.

• edited June 2016

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@azlo said:

No.

and yes: depends on the app, three that I know of have multiple audio outs, AUM, thumbjam, modstep.

Modstep allows you 8 instances that can be used with its AUx functionality (8 midi sequence-able slots for an AUx instrument sent through AB to yer DAW tracks or) use the 8 outs for the onboard synth and sampler,

Thumjam has 8 instrument outs and 3 other outs, main, loop, and main instrument. AUM has 8 out ports. An AUM user can suggest some fun with that functionality (AUM doesn't have its own instruments but it is an AUx host...some fun to be had there).

There are several other instrument apps that offer two AB outs, gen, and instrument, but not as useful as full on multiple audio outs. (Multiple audio outs is a commonplace in VSTi, and an oft-requested but rarely-added feature in iOS)

• Ah well, freezing tracks it is. Thanks for the replies.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@azlo said:

No.

and yes: depends on the app, three that I know of have multiple audio outs, AUM, thumbjam, modstep.

Modstep allows you 8 instances that can be used with its AUx functionality (8 midi sequence-able slots for an AUx instrument sent through AB to yer DAW tracks or) use the 8 outs for the onboard synth and sampler,

Thumjam has 8 instrument outs and 3 other outs, main, loop, and main instrument. AUM has 8 out ports. An AUM user can suggest some fun with that functionality (AUM doesn't have its own instruments but it is an AUx host...some fun to be had there).

There are several other instrument apps that offer two AB outs, gen, and instrument, but not as useful as full on multiple audio outs. (Multiple audio outs is a commonplace in VSTi, and an oft-requested but rarely-added feature in iOS)

The question wasn't if apps had multi outs. He literally said multiple instances. Which is something Only Au's can do.

• No, however... If an app has both an iPad and a separate iPhone version, you can use both on the iPad at the same time. Note, not a universal app, but one that has different versions for each of the iPad and iPhone.

• @gonekrazy3000 AUX's , not Au's ;)

• @crony said:
    @gonekrazy3000 AUX's , not Au's ;)

tomato, onion. same difference :p

• Same as glitch, no glitch... :smiley:

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@azlo said:

No.

The question wasn't if apps had multi outs. He literally said multiple instances. Which is something Only Au's can do.

My bad - Only AUs have multiple iterations its true, and for the AB part of his question only an AU host like AUM and Modstep will get those AUs through AB into a DAW that doesn't support AU like Auria Pro etal.

• My bad - Only AUs have multiple iterations its true, and for the AB part of his question only an AU host like AUM and Modstep will get those AUs through AB into a DAW that doesn't support AU like Auria Pro etal.

Excellent. Thanks for the info. Didn't know that about AUs.

• Just checking out Modstep, since you mention it, looks like what I'm after - sequencing other apps and external gear. Would you recommend it then?