Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Minimum bandwidth for Link ?

Hello,
Is there a minimum bandwidth for using Link between 3 Ipads ? Each running multiple apps using Link...
I wonder if I could use something like this and never be worried of ANY lag
https://www.hypershop.com/collections/storage/products/iusbport2
Or, if at a certain point I would have to use an Airport Extreme ??? (just for Link, to have an adhoc network on stage...)
Thanks

Comments

• I think latency would be a bigger concern than bandwidth. I don't know specifics, but they shouldn't be hard to find. I think the bandwidth requirements are rather light, and an adhoc wifi network should be up for it. I doubt the latency would be a showstopper either, but I'm not 100% on that.

• I would be completely amazed if bandwidth was an issue. Latency is the enemy. An ad-hoc network, or a portable access point, like a HooToo TravelMate should handle it just fine.

Look at it this way, sound takes 1ms to travel a foot. Ping times are likely to be easily less than 5 ms. So that's about as long as it takes the sound to travel the distance of a stage monitor to you. I don't think that's going to cause serious havoc with what is essentially a fancy click track.

• I use link with my iPhone and two iPads without using wifi or ethernet. Just connect through bluetooth if you can!

• Setup the midi control center if you have a mac and enable the session and once you link up you should have access to the session on your version of Ableton and iOS devices.

• edited June 2016

@TheMaestro said:
    I use link with my iPhone and two iPads without using wifi or ethernet. Just connect through bluetooth if you can!

How come ? You just shut wifi, but still allow bluetooth and the connection is done automatically between al devices ?

In the troubleshooting link here, they talk about wifi only, ports that must be opened ...
    https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/link-troubleshooting/

@TheMaestro said:
    Setup the midi control center if you have a mac and enable the session and once you link up you should have access to the session on your version of Ableton and iOS devices.

Hmm ok but what's the point of doing that ?
    I'll check that, but I need Link to be installed on my Mac, and I don't have Abbleton Link..
    Can Link be installed as a package ?

• Well I used this technique as I didn't want the internet to be connected while running recording sessions ect... Now that bluetooth has gotten so much quicker it is actually more efficient to run a jam session this way, or network session. Look into bluetooth PAN. You don't need to be connected to the internet on any device. Just go to settings and connect to your mac via bluetooth under the iOS settings. Then on your mac go to midi and audio. Open up a network IAC bus driver which allows apple to configure the devices. You must have an app open that is transmitting midi information such as AUM which is what I use 100 percent of the time because it will route midi instantly to your session. Make sure that you have an app that is capable of transmitting simple midi data OUT, and acts as a host otherwise it won't show up. I do have the cheap intro version of Ableton on sale and it is really cool to do all linking wirelessly through bluetooth. If you have any more questions let me know. @ crony

• And no they don't sell "Link" as a product it is bundled within the software DAW. I had abelton 8 which came with one of my old ass keyboards which blew up when I tried to use a vacuum cleaners charger (which technically is compatible) blew up my device. I logged on and still had some sort of voucher and said why not. It is very convenient. The intro version is all I need.

• @TheMaestro very interesting ! I'll test that but...This is only possible with a Mac involved, right ?
    What if you want to setup this with Ipads only ?...I guess you can't...
    But I'll test that as if it avoids a wifi local router, and if it's faster with more efficiency about latency, why wouldn't use my mac for it...

• No this works with any bluetooth enabled computer i believe.

• @crony apple just does things a lot easier obviously since it's their hardware, but if you own a fairly new windows laptop or pc with a new bluetooth chip you should be set. You can even purchase a bluetooth hub on amazon i believe.

• I'm 100% Apple for music now...Mac book air, and Ipads only...

• Same :D I used to be like no way I will ever get a macbook then I started doing this everyday of my life and went to school for recording engineering and I was impressed with the ones at school. I ended up getting some money for a scholarship and bought a macbook pro. So glad I did that. No comparison to my old POS 'gaming' laptop"

• When I said "only with a Mac" I meant, only with a laptop...
    I'm using only Ipads for this setup...

• edited June 2016

I'm using Pc's at work, I like them, use to build my own Pc for 20 years, so I like them.
    But at job, on a project, I had to have one Mac...So after 2 years, I must say, it's quite cool for IOS and music, nice for Mac even if USB, Itunes, and some of the restrictions bugs me...
    Robustness alo convinced me...

• Well they can send each other midi information as well. Look into Apollo Midi over Bluetooth if you haven't already.

• My macbook pro is a laptop and it a monster. Built for audio design and recording specifically. If you have a mac with bluetooth you can do bluetooth PAN i believe @crony

• edited June 2016

That's for midi, okay, and it seems MidiFlow is a much more complete solution, Apollo is good for the midi connection, but then I'll have to remap, so as Midiflow has bluetooth, I do't see the point, for me, of using Apollo.

But how to force bluetooth to Link in that case ?...

• Once you have two devices on the same network linked either bluetooth (apollo) or wifi you can force a link. Do you own AUM?

• Apollo acts as another midi host which is recognized under the keyboard that comes with AUM standalone app. Once you route everything and turn everything to green you will have a link I am going to test this right now and explain it better as it is 5:31 A.M i will be right back

• I bought myself a cheap rechargeable wireless router that creates a Link network anywhere I go to jam with multiple devices. No internet connected. Works like a charm--no bandwidth or latency issues whatsoever.

• LUKE we are on the same wavelength I was just about to say this exact same thing. I have been looking at those. I was looking at a bluetooth one I believe.

• HooToo's TripMates work well also.