Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUFX Push side-chain gated compression effect tutorial

2»

Comments

• @Kaikoo2 said:
    @zarv ,

I wasn't running well with Pro G might be that DM2 playing on real time kicks. I will try more to see differences between pre recorded kicks sound. Pro G is high grade stuff. I should not judge it by my own experiences.

Thanks, I've looked at Auria store, and, imo, the prices of pro g and other plugs are far from enticing. Buying just several (and Auria ofc) you'll end up near the price of Logic, what looks to me going a bit too far. I prefer apps more specialized and less pricey (AUM eg) which are also nearer to the immediacy that ought to be essential in any mobile use (my opinion, too)

• @Zarv,

This time with pre-recorded DM2. It is successfully wonderful. The tune has much variations on, because Pro G has the sophistication to do this kind if stuff. I show you photos here. Yes, this things is a labor of love. Yes, that is why it is professional grade.

• I have Animoog on Pro G and PSP Echo with, far more too awesome the tune.

• Great tute. I've used Push before but alway feel it's a little bit out of my control. I'm starting to tame this beast. I'd never used the noise gate before.

One thing that annoys me when I'm using Push is that I can never get it to really force the source hard down to zero. I usually do my best then click on the Pump button. But it never seems to really mute the source when the compressor is triggered. While I was following your tutorial I gave the Pump button another go, hoping it would give me extra 'pump' but then I realised, for the first time, that it looks like you need to reduce the compression ratio to get pump working properly. Reduce the ratio and the graph line turns into an upside down U. Once you do this the pump really gets to work and you can force the source sound right down.

Thanks Kaikoo
    (I'd like to see a tute for designing patches on Sunrizer if anyone has the inclination. Always seemed like a dark art to me)

• edited June 2016

@Richtowns said:
    Great tute. I've used Push before but alway feel it's a little bit out of my control. I'm starting to tame this beast. I'd never used the noise gate before.

One thing that annoys me when I'm using Push is that I can never get it to really force the source hard down to zero. I usually do my best then click on the Pump button. But it never seems to really mute the source when the compressor is triggered. While I was following your tutorial I gave the Pump button another go, hoping it would give me extra 'pump' but then I realised, for the first time, that it looks like you need to reduce the compression ratio to get pump working properly. Reduce the ratio and the graph line turns into an upside down U. Once you do this the pump really gets to work and you can force the source sound right down.

Thanks Kaikoo
    (I'd like to see a tute for designing patches on Sunrizer if anyone has the inclination. Always seemed like a dark art to me)

Yes, Ratio can be any number. I guess 4:1 to 10 to 1 considered to be normal. My that Pro G photo, I give it 14:1. Will try that pump later, thank you.

• edited June 2016

@Kaikoo2 said:
    I have Animoog on Pro G and PSP Echo with, far more too awesome the tune.

Is it possible to hear it? (SC of what you like best).

I appreciate your accuracy in stating your opinion, and yes, FabFilter has a high reputation, well deserved. What I said in my comment above was motivated by myself thinking that iPad ought to be a sleek and immediate tool in production. So, if you want something like Ableton, and do not have your studio available, any iBook is able to run it (surely the Lite version). The price (and dimensions) of an iPad Pro 12" and a iBook are similar, and if you get an inexpensive keyboard like M-Audio 32, you have Ignite (well, ok...) and Live Lite for free. Get a copy of Computer Magazine and you have a huge heap of plugins, top notch and free. I do not even call in the Linux world, or the widely used (not by me) couple Win+FL; both are even cheaper.
    The main advantages of mobile music production are, or ought to be, immediacy of use and lower prices. Without these ones I do not see great advantage in using it. That's why I love inordinately Figure, iKaossilator, Gadget, Elastic and the like. You run them even on an iPhone, and, if you are good at it, you can produce good music, of a kind really original and characteristic of the tool. Something similar happened for the photos. No pro would give up his/her huge lenses for a smartphone (like Deadmou5 shows his huge studio on the tube, not his tablet), but mobile photo is already an art in itself, and you do not need to be a pro for trying and do it. Heavier apps do not go towards this direction, IMHO.
    Sorry for the TL;DR :)

• edited June 2016

@Kaikoo2 said:
    @Zarv,

This time with pre-recorded DM2. It is successfully wonderful. The tune has much variations on, because Pro G has the sophistication to do this kind if stuff. I show you photos here. Yes, this things is a labor of love. Yes, that is why it is professional grade.

Afaik it is uncommon (though surely feasible) to use side chaining with a live guide. Even DJ use recorded tracks to duck other tracks. When you have a MIDI track that yo want to use to guide SC, you do it via a send-return bus, or, even better, using it after freezing. AUFX has a look ahead function, that could be useful in a live environment.

I'd like to add that I tried the tutorial with DM2 and Z3TA+ (with HOLD on for a continuous, arpeggiated bass) and all worked like a charm. There is also a PUMP button in AUFX (bottom center) that works very well to obtain effects à la Guetta (use a very low threshold, short attack and release). To be not too subtle, I used the 06 Percussive Hard preset and the S-C Filter, with a range of 49-19k Hz, cuz I did not solo the kick. The DM2 preset was one of mine.

• edited June 2016

@zarv ,

Here you go...

Animoog default sound on Pro G with PSP Echo and a bit of reverb with Pro L mixing.

Don't laugh if no good :D

• edited June 2016

@Kaikoo2 said:
    @zarv ,

Here you go...

Animoog default sound on Pro G with PSP Echo and a bit of reverb with Pro L mixing.

Don't laugh if no good :D

Easy, nothing to laugh at :smile: and u'r right: the ducking is there and good.
    Let me say that your hint above about Prism is real gold!
    I'm just now trying AUFX in Auria, as an insert (Key on the track that guides and EFX on the one ducked), and it works. I've not yet seen if the params can be automated, that would be awesome indeed.

Automation is not feasible for IAA insert :(
    But the same method works well in Cubasis too, and I have to try to automate by means of a send-return setting (i.e. sending the track to be ducked to a bus with AUFX:PUSH).

• @Kaikoo2 said:
    ...I am happy to say that one of the Euro Trance tune composed by Anthony Elvis from the producer of A.I.R studio is awesome. Unfortunately, that Auria Pro G youtube video no longer be found.

Here perhaps?
    https://youtu.be/WFhOCgaIRhY

• @Kaikoo2 said:
    ...I am happy to say that one of the Euro Trance tune composed by Anthony Elvis from the producer of A.I.R studio is awesome. Unfortunately, that Auria Pro G youtube video no longer be found.

Here perhaps?
    https://youtu.be/WFhOCgaIRhY