Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moodscaper got an update and is now universal

Plus plenty of other neat additions

moodscaper by Rob Jackson
https://appsto.re/de/jHu5ab.i

Comments

• @Nathan Moodscaper still has IAA support and the developer has said there will be more development of the app.

• I'm quite impressed actually that Rob, who afaik is developing this alone, delivered so many updates already. I remember seeing the prototype on his youtube channel before release just a few months ago. Moodscaper already has evolved a lot since then and to my understanding Rob still has lots of ideas that he wants to implement.

• IAA host sync with menu bar

• Hi Folks. Thanks for the interest and understanding. I’m quite a fan of “release early / release often” in software to tighten the feedback loop between myself and the people who have invested in the app. There are a ton of things I want to add, but it’s also really interesting hearing how users would like to see the app evolve, and moodscaper has gone in directions I hadn’t anticipated because of that. I think that's great! :smile:

V1.0 was released March 29th and was originally planned as an iPhone only background music generator app that could also be noodled with a little bit. By far the two big things that were requested were a means of recording audio and an iPad version, so IAA and a universal version was my focus these last few weeks. The additional effects and extra sample keypad was something I thought would be fun in a performance context and I needed to do “something” with all that extra screen space :) MIDI out and Link now seem to be the current top requests so they’re next on my list. AB does still come up, but not as often, now I’ve added IAA. I’m not ignoring AB though, so that, and just about everything else that gets suggested, gets added to an ever-growing list. However…

As noted by Grace (thankyou) it is just me, and I have a regular day job so moodscaper is a weekends and evenings thing for me. So, I can only do one thing at a time, and I have to prioritize according to what I think folks would like to see first – release those things, then think about what’s next. Hope this makes sense. -Rob

• @moodscaper said:
    Hi Folks. Thanks for the interest and understanding. I’m quite a fan of “release early / release often” in software to tighten the feedback loop between myself and the people who have invested in the app. There are a ton of things I want to add, but it’s also really interesting hearing how users would like to see the app evolve, and moodscaper has gone in directions I hadn’t anticipated because of that. I think that's great! :smile:

V1.0 was released March 29th and was originally planned as an iPhone only background music generator app that could also be noodled with a little bit. By far the two big things that were requested were a means of recording audio and an iPad version, so IAA and a universal version was my focus these last few weeks. The additional effects and extra sample keypad was something I thought would be fun in a performance context and I needed to do “something” with all that extra screen space :) MIDI out and Link now seem to be the current top requests so they’re next on my list. AB does still come up, but not as often, now I’ve added IAA. I’m not ignoring AB though, so that, and just about everything else that gets suggested, gets added to an ever-growing list. However…

As noted by Grace (thankyou) it is just me, and I have a regular day job so moodscaper is a weekends and evenings thing for me. So, I can only do one thing at a time, and I have to prioritize according to what I think folks would like to see first – release those things, then think about what’s next. Hope this makes sense. -Rob

Appreciate the app, the effort, and the feedback.

• edited June 2016

I was going to ask, how does one know what the key is that moodscaper is playing in? So you can play other synths along with it, or after the fact in a recording? Then, at the end of this video, it appears that my question is answered? These are the listed scales for each mood:

EFABD is Dark mood
    EF#ABC# is Light mood
    EGADC is Spacey mood

So............how does this help me know what key I can play my keyboard in? Or.... does it not really matter? Can I just pick a key and role with it? I don't want to make anything too off key sounding. Especially with such a nice sounding app :).

• :smile: Hi there's a section in the manual on this too relating to chords / keys. Hope this helps:

The chord voice generates (hopefully) pleasing chords based on the root note of the keys in that position. For added harmonic interest, some notes are included outside the pentatonic scale for the current mood. The base chords that moodscaper uses for each mood are as follows:

• Light:E-F#m-A-B-C#m
    • Dark:Em-F-A-Bm-Dm
    • Space:Em-G-Am-C-D

Looking at these chords, you can see that light mood could also be considered suitable for a piece based in F#m with a pentatonic minor scale. And space, can be used for a piece in the key of A minor. If you’re playing along with other instruments, the full minor scale works well in space mode too, with the following notes: E F# G A B C D - which is the relative major G scale.

• I'm really liking this app, it's great for getting things going. AU compatibility would be fantastic for live sessions in AUM without leaving the app. Any chance of a link to the manual rather than the iTunes sharing route?

• Hi Captain - an AU / UI is definitely on the list - I think that would be cool too. And I hear you on the manual front - a dedicated website is also planned. In the meantime, ping me an email (rob at music4sport dot com) or message me via the moodscaper Facebook page and I'll send you the .pdf. Cheers, -Rob

• edited June 2016

@moodscaper,

I do not have a computer.

How to access the PDF user manual online? Thank you.

• edited June 2016

See post above, FB message or email - replace the "at" with @ and the "dot com" with .com :-)

• @moodscaper said:
    See post above, FB message or email - replace the "at" with @ and the "dot com" with .com :-)

I do not have FB account, [email protected] just link to your facebook.

Too tired with your game.

• edited June 2016

that's an email address - sorry for the confusion. if you send an email I will reply with a .pdf manual. also, it's common practice not to post valid email addresses on forums to avoid automated spammers. thanks.

Manual should also be accessible via this link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16314118/moodscaper.pdf

• Ok, got it, thanks again.

You can have free WorldPress website to promote Moodscaper. So a link to manual will be easier. Cheers.

• @moodscaper thanks for posting the manual, I be just read all th.e way through it and put some of it into practice. I'm not generally a fan of generative music apps but this is actually a pretty deep and satisfying instrument, so thanks for creating it.

• thanks guys - I'm gonna take a look at word press thanks, as web dev isn't really my thing, and as you now know, I'm a bit of a one-man-band with limited time :-) lack of a dedicated website is not good, and I do feel a bit bad trying to support my users here on the AB forum :-/

• @moodscaper said:
    thanks guys - I'm gonna take a look at word press thanks, as web dev isn't really my thing, and as you now know, I'm a bit of a one-man-band with limited time :-) lack of a dedicated website is not good, and I do feel a bit bad trying to support my users here on the AB forum :-/

We appreciate your effort -AND your app!

• edited June 2016

@moodscaper said:
    thanks guys - I'm gonna take a look at word press thanks, as web dev isn't really my thing, and as you now know, I'm a bit of a one-man-band with limited time :-) lack of a dedicated website is not good, and I do feel a bit bad trying to support my users here on the AB forum :-/

Success paradigm; want what the market wants! :)

• Have to chime in. This app is evolving beautifully. I bought in early and just love the sounds and scapes you can get from this app. It was good in the beginning and keeps getting better.

Thanks to the dev for the very sweet sounds and efforts to evolve. Much appreciated. :)

• edited June 2016

thanks guys :-)

• Hi Nathan - absolutely! I'm overwhelmed by the enthusiasm and ideas - in a good way :)

Think I mentioned AudioBus support on another thread a while back, and it's on my radar for sure. Basically I'm waiting for TAAE2 to become available as my understanding is that it's more Swift-friendly. Sadly, I don't have the spare time to get involve with Beta testing. AU is also on the radar (adding IAA kinda paved the way for that) along with MIDI out and Link - those are the big things I think - lots of other stuff too. You're not the same Nathan that mentioned Dropbox support on an App Store review by any chance? I didn't really understand what the idea was there.

• I'm finding this to be a very interesting app. I haven't played with it enough to really delve into it's potentiality yet, but my initial reaction was that the sound palette could be somewhat more varied. The string type sound (s) seems to be prevalent throughout. I'm curious to try it with some of my own drone sounds.

I shall spend more time with and perusing the manual (which appears to be required reading) soonest.

• The sounds are kinda my "signature" synthy string sounds, so they are intrinsically "samey" I guess. I think MIDI out is an easier way to go for sound variation rather than trying to grow the app into a fully-fledged sampler instrument - plenty good ones out there already. I think combining MIDI out and the generative side of things could be interesting, with say the 5 voices going to separate channels. Having said that... if there's more interest in the sample-side of things, then I'll invest time in that too. The left hand custom sound section is in some ways an experiment, to see if existing users like it and make use of it. If they do, then I can open up the "instrument" side and the generative rules for custom scales and so on. Lots of ideas - too little time! :)

• +1 for Midi Out with 5 separate channels! And thank you @moodscaper for this very nice app!

• @Harro said:
    +1 for Midi Out with 5 separate channels! And thank you @moodscaper for this very nice app!

Double +1

• @audiblevideo said:

@Harro said:
    +1 for Midi Out with 5 separate channels! And thank you @moodscaper for this very nice app!

Double +1

Triple +1

• edited June 2016

Thanks guys - I can't wait to add MIDI out too :) There's going to be a small v1.8 update that I plan to submit this weekend, then my focus will be on MIDI out for v2.0, then Link. I'll probably release MIDI out first as that's going to be fairly straightforward. Link looks a bit more tricky so could take some time. Plus Abelton have some pretty tight guidelines on how you should support it, UI and so on. I guess that's fair enough.

• The more time I spend with this app, the more I get from it. For me, IAA recording into Audioshare does the job.

This is a unique app - somewhat cryptic perhaps, but yields some great results.

• I like this app.