Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SKRAM --- updaaaaaaaaaaaaateeeeeee !

Comments

• Yep! You cannot build a house in a day, out of Lego!...... It takes time. :)

• @cblomert said:
    Calm down a bit everyone :)
    skram has been released not even 3 months ago - which is not a lot of time at all when developing such an app - and especially not if you are integrating big features like IAA support, AB, Link, midi and others that were asked for. It's just a lot of work, and the smaller the team the longer it takes. It's unfair to compare them to the Blocs team

I think the issue is that they're bundling the connectivity in with other stuff - possibly IAP devices and content , which is delaying the update .

• @cblomert said:
    skram has been released not even 3 months ago - which is not a lot of time at all when developing such an app - and especially not if you are integrating big features like IAA support, AB, Link, midi and others that were asked for. It's just a lot of work, and the smaller the team the longer it takes. It's unfair to compare them to the Blocs team (they have way way more resources and coders) and it's even more unfair to bring up the word 'Scam'.

These guys have been around for a very long time, and i sincerely doubt that they would go into hiding now after bringing out their baby that they have worked on for years, not a few months.

I remember that a lot of you bought it as an investment into the apps future and the developer - if that was the case then please give them the chance to fulfil it before you start smacking them.

+1 I trust their code is better thought out than their Communications strategy, but in the end it's the code they should be judged by.

• @cblomert said:
    skram has been released not even 3 months ago - which is not a lot of time at all when developing such an app - and especially not if you are integrating big features like IAA support, AB, Link, midi and others that were asked for. It's just a lot of work, and the smaller the team the longer it takes. It's unfair to compare them to the Blocs team (they have way way more resources and coders) and it's even more unfair to bring up the word 'Scam'.

My post was a play on words...scram, scam, Liine etc....of course they are not scammers.
    And I apologise for that, sincerely.

Releasing an app that chokes, no AB etc...3 months later still nada?...no fix?...

Anyway off to watch Sweeden-Ireland football

• @soundklinik said:

No SPOLIERS! I am recording all three games today to put on Big Boy and see me through the flights from Austin to Amsterdam tomorrow :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@soundklinik said:

No SPOLIERS! I am recording all three games today to put on Big Boy and see me through the flights from Austin to Amsterdam tomorrow :)

No spoilers, but go in your basement right now, with iPad and headphones
    So Zlatan is famous even in USA?
    When he left PSG, he said: "I came as a King and left as a Legend"

• edited June 2016

@liine_nick said:
    It's actually really inspiring to see how much you guys care! Really sorry it's taken so long, we've really been pushing this forward as fast as our resources can deliver. We're a small but very motivated team. :)

At the moment, we have a release candidate ready that does include some of the goodies you've been asking for. Final round of testing before submitting, hopefully no showstopper bugs pop up in the new features.

@liine_nick Can you say that if things go well with the testing there will be an update in a month or so?

I think the only thing Liine may be guilty of is not meeting the expectation of what many users think is an appropriate amount of time in which to do updates and/or for not providing a timeline for the release of their updates/upgrades. "Soon and we're doing our best" without quantifiable dates is not enough for many people.

I can appreciate how it can be harder for a smaller development team doing a new app to come up with such specific scheduling information. I have been happy with the quality and consistency of the Lemur app so hopefully the fleshed out Skram will measure up as well.

At the same time the shelf life for functional bug free music creation app usage on a given device and iOS version can be relatively short like dog years where three months is experienced as three years. Many are concerned an app which doesn't have the features they desire for their music work flow may not acquire them before the app and/or device becomes outdated due to the relentless ratcheted development march of Apple devices and iOS updates.

Given the variation among developers, it's been my belief that if you really want an app with IAA and/or Audiobus support you should probably wait until the app is released or updated with those features unless the developer has a consistent track record of doing so.

• @InfoCheck said:

Given the variation among developers, it's been my belief that if you really want an app with IAA and/or Audiobus support you should probably wait until the app is released or updated with those features unless the developer has a consistent track record of doing so.

That's usually my mantra , after some bad experiences in the past ( R ) , but the SKRAM dev was responsive and suggested it'd be supported so I dropped my guard and bought the app in the belief it'd be added soon . It hasn't been , and as you've said three months is a long time in app world .

As Roger Daltry once said , ' I won't get fooled again '

• I do not understand why all the attention is fixed on skraam , 3 months is not so long when comparing to other application less "toy" such as Beathawk, geoshred, Thor which need years to get an update . We won't be Daft Punk , Kanye West or NIN with Skram i guess. I am in bad faith because I do not own it but it doesnt look like revolutionary for the moment, no?

• @soundklinik said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@soundklinik said:

Only problem is we don't have a basement in Austin :)

• @cblomert said:

These guys have been around for a very long time, and i sincerely doubt that they would go into hiding now after bringing out their baby that they have worked on for years, not a few months.

I remember that a lot of you bought it as an investment into the apps future and the developer - if that was the case then please give them the chance to fulfil it before you start smacking them.

My thoughts as well. I'm willing to bet that everyone commenting in this thread has between 50-100 other iOS music apps that they can be using while we wait for an update. At the moment, I also doubt that Skram is an "essential" piece in the puzzle, like a DAW for instance.

The developer was very upfront about the release being just the start of features to come. I think most of us knew that at the time of purchase.

This lynch mob mentality of this forum is irritating at best.

• @Seangarland said:
    >
    This lynch mob mentality of this forum is irritating at best.

When concerns over an app are raised on this forum , Ive noticed members drift into two main camps :

Camp A - dev friendly , happy to live with whatever issues or limitations are being discussed - though they're not always purchasers of the app

Camp B - disgruntled customers or potential customers , voicing concerns or dissatisfaction

Which seems perfectly normal to me - we're all different , and react to disappointing purchases based on our needs and personalities .

But then there's a flashpoint , after 6 or so pages Camp A will criticise members in Camp B for holding ( in their eyes ) , a negative opinion . So the focus jumps from discussing an external purchase , to personal comments about other members .

Just something I've noticed . I think for the harmony of the forum , those in Camp B ( and there's no fixed membership of each , we all drift between the two ) should stick to discussing the product in question , rather than comments about other members .

Peace :))

• @carol said:

Just something I've noticed . I think for the harmony of the forum , those in Camp B ( and there's no fixed membership of each , we all drift between the two ) should stick to discussing the product in question , rather than comments about other members .

Peace :))

One other 'fun' fact is that once a persons 'favourite' apps are bashed on for lack of functionality or other issues those persons tend to take that critique as 'personal insult' which in turns up the heat a lot.

Apps become almost like a 'religion' in a bad sense as it starts to divide people and the rule of thumb is that the easiest way to make 'enemies' is to discuss either religion or politics, mix both and it's chaos :D

Peace Out! Sorry for hijacking the thread with a non-topic post...

• edited June 2016

I am a CASIO CZ hooligan , i could Kill for this one :) (Honestly this forum is really quiet and organised compared to the video games' s forum) .For trance and acid Stuff , What is the best option If i had to choose only one ? Skram , Caustic , Rebirth , Xenon, Pulse code Rythm studio ? Rebirth and Caustic are so tempting ....

• edited June 2016

@Samu said:

One other 'fun' fact is that once a persons 'favourite' apps are bashed on for lack of functionality or other issues those persons tend to take that critique as 'personal insult' which in turns up the heat a lot.

Apps become almost like a 'religion' in a bad sense as it starts to divide people and the rule of thumb is that the easiest way to make 'enemies' is to discuss either religion or politics, mix both and it's chaos :D

Oh I can see that , definitely ! I am a massive fan of apps like aum and Moog 15 and get upset when I see them criticised . But I don't take it as a personal insult or feel the need to make personal comments about a member for having a different point of view to mine . Likewise you don't see those in Camp B calling an apps supporters ' fan boys ' or 'sycophants ' for bigging up an app that they're having problems with .

There are more harmonious ways to support an app you think is being unfairly criticised : big it up , challenge any comments you feel are negative , promote features you think are good about it or unique . If the comments are targetting the developers lack of commitment then challenge that with an opposing point of view .

Challenge the comments made , not the person who made them . It gets messy otherwise , and after all we're all ios fanboys really, just some more frustrated than others ;))

• It's a 4 quid app for fekks sake, the level of (it has to be said) whinging from some quarters is completely out of proportion, in my view. As has been said, the Dev was upfront about things when it came out, there's no 'scam' as such.

If it's not happening, just move on to another app.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@soundklinik said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@soundklinik said:

Only problem is we don't have a basement in Austin :)

Is there a basement in the Alamo?

• @grego68 said:
    I am a CASIO CZ hooligan , i could Kill for this one :) (Honestly this forum is really quiet and organised compared to the video games' s forum) .For trance and acid Stuff , What is the best option If i had to choose only one ? Skram , Caustic , Rebirth , Xenon, Pulse code Rythm studio ? Rebirth and Caustic are so tempting ....

I came for the riot, but then was distracted by this perfectly reasonable question which will inevitably be answered by the sonic equivalent of 'it depends' with the only conclusion being to add them all to the list. If it weren't for maintaining the list I might actually, like, open and learn how to use one of the apps I already own, heh.

Seriously though, I think this app still has good odds of coming along. The team working on it seems like the type that has some serious design chops in the UI department but is having some major WTF moments trying to get the backend code that makes noise to do it a the right time, every time. It's that last part that can be really tricky. Just because they had Link working in a test case doesn't mean it's not still wonky, or worse some other things that used to work now mysteriously don't. I trust they're still working on it. Easy for me to say though, as I won't buy until it's universal :P However if you already bought it for features it doesn't have, I do think it's one of the better bets in the that category. The only way to not be wrong about timelines in software dev is to not have them. They do seem earnest, which in software is about as good as it gets. Anyone who says they know how long something is going to take or how hard it's going to be to fix a bug is already done.

• I don't have a dog in this (skram) fight, but personally I'm in full support of any developer that has the balls to create a "groove box/daw lite" type app. The way things are going, these things are starting to feel like instruments in their own right, in a way desktop daws don't. What is left out is almost as important as what is included in these things. I think this genre has a bright future ahead of it.

• @Nathan said:

@srcer said:
    They do seem earnest, which in software is about as good as it gets.<

>

Respectfully, this is untrue. We see a good number of developers who are earnest and deliver. I would hope that the makers of Skram join them soon.

Please clarify, are you saying the Skram developers are liars until they deliver or is it more of a case of you prefer how some other developers have created and updated apps?

• Finally i bought it this morning and now i know Why people are impatient ...Those new features Will indeed transform skram in a full groovebox .I love the variations and fluctuations of the devices's sounds .

• @grego68 said:

Finally i bought it this morning and now i know Why people are impatient ...Those new features Will indeed transform skram in a full groovebox .I love the variations and fluctuations of the devices's sounds .

I don't see any mention of basic connectivity there, which is what I'm waiting for . I suspect adding Audiobus and IAA are being being held up by the focus on getting new IAP content out :((

• @Nathan said:

@InfoCheck said:
    Please clarify, are you saying the Skram developers are liars until they deliver or is it more of a case of you prefer how some other developers have created and updated apps?

>

Perhaps English is not your first language? What I said should have been clear to any native speaker. Simply put, being earnest is not 'about as good as it gets' As we have seen, with Novation and other developers, it is entirely possible to be earnest and deliver the goods in a timely fashion.

As i mentioned before: it is unfair to compare a small team like Liine to a company like Novation. I always felt this community had a heart for indie devs, this is the moment it should be showing ;)

@carol
    these are inside the app since version 1 - at which point they did not plan for connectivity like IAA/AB etc. It was only after your feedback that they shifted plans - still: as far as i know, these connectivity features are the first that will be published in an update.

• edited June 2016

@cblomert said:

@Nathan said:

@InfoCheck said:

>

Perhaps English is not your first language? What I said should have been clear to any native speaker. Simply put, being earnest is not 'about as good as it gets' As we have seen, with Novation and other developers, it is entirely possible to be earnest and deliver the goods in a timely fashion.

As i mentioned before: it is unfair to compare a small team like Liine to a company like Novation. I always felt this community had a heart for indie devs, this is the moment it should be showing ;)

@carol
    these are inside the app since version 1 - at which point they did not plan for connectivity like IAA/AB etc. It was only after your feedback that they shifted plans - still: as far as i know, these connectivity features are the first that will be published in an update.

The page the screen grab is taken from is promoting *more * devices , features and widgets on their ' coming soon ' page which is what my post was responding to . No mention anywhere of promised connectivity improvements .

I haven't got an issue with people bigging up the app and promoting the new features they're advertising , just adding some balance and pointing out the essentials I'm still waiting for ;))

• That's what i meant: the coming soon page is not their current actual coming soon, these screens are outdated. To change them you have to do an update to the app, which you are all waiting for ;)

• @Nathan said:

@InfoCheck said:

>

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I wasn't sure if you were suggesting Skram was engaged in deceptive practices with how they've developed and marketed Skram.

There are many people on the Audiobus forum who are from all over the world. A willingness to accommodate them seems reasonable especially as English is the primary language used here.

• Ah but they can't make any money adding Audiobus. But I imagine widgets will be separate IAPs

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Ah but they can't make any money adding Audiobus. But I imagine widgets will be separate IAPs

Developers can't charge directly for adding Audiobus functionality but for many people Audiobus is a necessary and critical part of their music work flow so they will not buy apps without Audiobus support.

• Ffs. Instead of whining go make some music. Stop insulting some hardworking guys(FYI Nicholas Bougayev is a pretty busy musician and musicology, Richie Hawtin is just Richie Hawtin, and so on for all the members of Liine https://liine.net/en/company/about-liine/), if you do an investment without any interest nor knowledge about the company you are investing on, in my opinion, once the product isn't broke(and Skram is not) all the promises made by the developer of said product to the investor have to be considered as gifts on the already sold product.

• edited June 2016

@Nathan said:

@cblomert said:
    I always felt this community had a heart for indie devs, this is the moment it should be showing ;)

This community was all over Skram. Supportive from day one and in many cases buying something that connected to NOTHING, on faith. Okay, it may be that brilliant things are in the pipeline, in which case Skram's standing here and elsewhere is very likely to improve in leaps and bounds. But had they just added AudioBus, as a priority it would've gone down very well and encouraged patience.

Heh, actualy I think the current wait encourages patience. Getting what you want right away doesn't. ;)

As for connecting to 'NOTHING', I plugged it into my DAW and recorded up a nice little jam just fine. "Life, uh, finds a way."