Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

looking for a configuration... without a USB hub as the center of it

Hi,
I have a technical question, and I look for some advice on one issue : I have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 plugged directly to my iPad Pro, using Scarlett 's USB port. I want to be able to connect my 4 midi controllers (I did before, with a powered USB hub, it worked, but now I don't want to plug my iPad and my Scarlett on the the same USB hub, and if you are a Scarlett user you probably understand why).
So I'd like to know if there's a device which I could plug on the Scarlett midi DIN port, and on which I could plug all my midi controllers (which are all in USB, that's the whole problem, if they were not I would have a lots of solutions).
A kind of midi hub / dispatch but with the exact opposite specifications that you find on such kind of device : meaning, a midi DIN as an input (to plug on my Scarlett midi out port) and 3,4 or 5 midi out, but in USB (to plug my midi controllers).
I spent a lot of time on the web looking for such a device, and other solutions, but so far I didn't find something satisfying. And I don't want to by another audio interface, like the IConnectivity, which would solve my problem but not my budget.
Thank you for your attention and your help,
best regards.

Comments

• You might be able to get something like an iConnectivity MIO to connect up to your powered hub, which would convert the USB connection to MIDI DIN - though you'd lose the ability to address your MIDI controllers by device.

• @rad3d said:
    You might be able to get something like an iConnectivity MIO to connect up to your powered hub, which would convert the USB connection to MIDI DIN - though you'd lose the ability to address your MIDI controllers by device.

Yes, it would, but, and it's my fault for being very confusing when I write about technical subjects in English, it's the exact opposite that I would need. I would need a MIO, but with a midi DIN as an input and a USB (B) as output(s). And ideally, a device I could plugged to the Scarlett midi DIN out port and which would provide several USB out ports (a hub basically) would be perfect.
    But so far, when I google DIN / USB adapter, it only shows me little adapter for cars, in order to plug some USB device on it, to charge it. But I doubt one of these adapter could work for midi. In this case, DIN is just a "format", but there's no midi involved....

• It still sounds like the iConnectivity midi+ devices are a possible solution. You would still require a usb hub to route the single usb host port to the midi devices, though.

I have a similar set up (I just purchased a Focusrite interface) and have been planning to experiment with the best way to configure my studio. In my case, the route would look like the following:

iPad 4 connected to Focusrite for recording and serving as a basic midi controller over USB. MIDI DIN out of the Scarlett into a MIDI DIN into my iConnectMIDI4+. From there, a Korg MS-20 mini and Arturia Microbrute connected through a powered USB hub connected to the iCM4+ USB host port. A Mutable Instruments Shruthi and Ambika would be connected to MIDI DIN outs.

In addition, I also route my inputs through the iCM4+. A Kurzweil Midiboard is connected to one of the MIDI DIN in ports directly on the iCM4+ and an M-audio keystation is connected to the powered USB hub mentioned previously.

As someone mentioned above, the setup is severely limited when it comes to using the iPad as a controller or a synth. I could route a MIDI DIN out from the iCM4+ back to the iPad to get some control, but for now I have two Bluetooth devices that I can use to control it. I also lose a lot of the benefit of the iCM4+ in that I only have one channel of MIDI between my iPad and all of the other devices.

• edited May 2016

@cyril777 said:

@rad3d said:
    You might be able to get something like an iConnectivity MIO to connect up to your powered hub, which would convert the USB connection to MIDI DIN - though you'd lose the ability to address your MIDI controllers by device.

Yes, it would, but, and it's my fault for being very confusing when I write about technical subjects in English, it's the exact opposite that I would need. I would need a MIO, but with a midi DIN as an input and a USB (B) as output(s). And ideally, a device I could plugged to the Scarlett midi DIN out port and which would provide several USB out ports (a hub basically) would be perfect.
    But so far, when I google DIN / USB adapter, it only shows me little adapter for cars, in order to plug some USB device on it, to charge it. But I doubt one of these adapter could work for midi. In this case, DIN is just a "format", but there's no midi involved....

I think you could possibly hook the MIO to a basic powered hub using a USB A to A female Adapter
    http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5145&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmpW6BRCf5sXp59_U_ssBEiQAGCV9GktxaQHAA1-WORbSz4qF0E_QhdO3T0Ei0cNpdiCsxCMaAv_T8P8HAQ

Then plug the din connectors from the MIO to the Focusrite DINs.

I definitely understand what you're trying to accomplish, but I'll also say that I'm not 100% sure this would work. If I get some time today, I'll try to validate using my MIO and the DIN ports on my ICA4.

• @cyril777 what kind of problems are you experiencing with your 6i6? My Scarlett 2i4 has been crashing non stop with audiobus into Auria pro. I'm also centered in my usb hub attached to my keyboard.

• @DrFunkyFingers said:
    @cyril777 what kind of problems are you experiencing with your 6i6? My Scarlett 2i4 has been crashing non stop with audiobus into Auria pro. I'm also centered in my usb hub attached to my keyboard.

Hi,
    I don't know if your a recent Scarlett user, or maybe a recent iPad user, but since iOS 9 , all the Scarlett series has been touched with a severe latency issue, and other diseagrements, like a high buzzing sound when closing apps. And it was particularly severe when using Audiobus.
    In my case, I this problem happened to me when I bought an iPad Pro. Before that, my configuration was an iPad Air 1 and my 6i6 both plugged to a powered USB hub, on which was plugged my 3 midi controllers (simple ones, an Arturia MiniLab, Novation miniKey and Korg nanokontrol 2). And it worked fine, never had any troubles.
    Even when iOS 9 was released and I had problems with my iPad Pro, it still worked fine if I used my iPad Air instead of my iPad Pro (both with the same iOS version).
    But with iOS 9.3.2, it seems things are better, as long as your Scarlett is plugged directly to your iPad. If you still use a USB hub between your iPad and your Scarlett, the latency issue comes back, not so often than before the update, but still, in particular with Audiobus.
    You should read this tread :
    http://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13827

• @cyril777 I greatly appreciate the input. So would you agree that the initial problem lies within Focusrite's compatibility with the iPad Pro? The Scarlett 2i4 cannot be powered via cck alone, and does not have an external power supply. Experiences vary from person to person but from what I've been reading I have to concur this an issue with Focusrite.

• So would you agree that the initial problem lies within Focusrite's compatibility with the iPad Pro? ............ I have to concur this an issue with Focusrite.

Well, this was my conclusion, since the problem happened when I bought an iPad Pro and use it with my 6i6, and when I put back my iPad Air (with the same iOS version), it was fine. And when I used my iPad Pro with my Apogee Duet, no troubles at all. So yes, my conclusion was it was Focusrite who was to blame, and not Apple like I red on forums relating this issue.
    But I had the chance to talk to a technician from Focusrite (after 2 emails with laconic answers), who took the time to explain the problem in its differents factors. Now my opinion is more "tempered"...
    Here's the email, I think this will interest every users who are concerned...

Ben Dandy (Focusrite )
    12 Apr, 11:53
    Hi Cyril,

Thanks for your email.

Let me first say I completely understand why you are frustrated with the issue. As an iOS 9.2 & 9.2 user myself I know the effect this issue has had on your work.

Please let me explain where we are with this issue.

While both ourselves and yourself have seen that the issue does not occur with all audio interfaces, we have managed to re-create this exact problem with Focusrite, Mackie and PreSonus interfaces and so have come to the conclusion that while a significant number of our customer base have been affected, this issue is not unique to Focusrite interfaces. 

It is because of this that we originally raised this as a bug case with Apple to notify them that our interfaces we also affected. Over the last few months our test team have been in close communication with Apple and we were hoping to see our findings would have contributed to the issue being resolved in iOS 9.3. Unfortunately, as you have found, there has been no change to the situation in their update. 

While we have a number of users including yourself added to our bug case, no notifications were sent out after the release of iOS 9.3 because this did not resolve the issue - we will only send out information once we have seen a positive step in the issue being fixed.   

In terms of returning your interface, this will be completely at the dealers discretion as there is no fault with device itself. If you rely on an interface to work on iOS 9.2 & iOS 9.3 and have found a different make and model to do so, from a personal viewpoint I would suggest looking towards this option but I must stress that becuase the issue you are experiencing does not lie the Scarlett 6i6, the decision of whether you can return this will purely depend on the dealers terms and conditions. However, if the item is still under warranty, this may be worth enquiring into. 

Please let me know your thoughts on this issue, I'd be more than happy to discuss this further should you wish. 
    Best Regards,
    Ben Dandy // Focusrite & Novation Technical Support

• DIN is just the style of connector. If you add MIDI to the search, you should find plenty of solutions...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=midi din to usb adapter