Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio interface needed to record iPhone into iPad?

Hey guys, I am definitely a newb and I am done trying to figure this out on my own: I want to record or stream in audio from my iPhone 6s Plus into my iPad Pro. Ideally playing my phone like an instrument through effects on my iPad and recording in one of my daw's. NOT WIRELESSLY--I thought the newest camera adapter was the solution.

Do I need an audio interface too? I fully plan on using fl studio, audacity, and sound forge on my pc and would like to have the freedom to run the aforementioned workflow wit my two iOS devices or plug both phone and iPad into the same audio interface to record both simultaneously on my desktop.

I have done some research but would love your collective advice. I have an iOS app addiction. Now I need to combine my two "instruments" and record them.

I love this forum, btw. I check in half a dozen times a day. Thanks for your help! And thanks for all the great info this place offers.

Comments

• Oh--and I have a 200 dollar budget for an interface. Preferably less---but like I said--I'm an addict

• Iconnect audio. I think the 2+ is $199. Connects to both devices at once and audio can go between them.

• Thanks, man. I was also looking at the presonus itwo. Sorry if this thread is annoying. I know the ways of forums in general. I resist the urge to start threads. Clearly, I could use some advice. It is much appreciated.

• Line 6 Sonic Port VX - it's much more than just a stereo 1/4" input. It's a condenser mic, a sound card for your headphones, and a stereo field mic as well. Take one of these with an iPad/iPhone just about anywhere and record vocals, guitars, coyotes, whatever – right on the spot. Doesn't even need power.

Plus if you plug it into your iPad and download mobile POD, you get their entire guitar/FX sim enchilada gratis :sunglasses:

• edited May 2016

I cannot vouch for the iConnectivity gear. As cool as it is in concept lots of people have reported issues with it (you can search this forum for them).

If you just want to record audio from your phone then a powered camera connection kit from Apple (should be around 40 bucks) and this Behringer interface (30 bucks) do exactly what you want them to do without breaking the bank. If you don't have it yet, get the right cable for it, too.

• I also use beheringer uca 222. Working good

• edited May 2016

No issue at all using an iConnectAUDIO2+ to route from one iDevice to another IME. However, doing so is not officially supported. Check my blog article for details - specifically the section: "Connecting two iPads".

It is officially supported and works well and hassle-free with the iConnectAUDIO4+.

http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/the_iconnectaudio2___a_review/

• I also used both the iConnectAUDIO2+ and 4+ together in a live performance setup recently without any hassles at all. A good number of folks experience no issues at all with the iConnectivity gear. A sticking point for some seems to be the iConfig app, but, again, in general I experience few issues with it, even on a mini.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/13463/gig-couple-of-ipad-musicans-are-performing

• edited May 2016

I have an ica4+ maybe i have to check it again,(i told me to do but, since now....)... but after 1year not working without crackles, issues here config terror there, (apple take a big part) i lost complete my joy to the card it holds my books really great and i use the behringer uca and it just works direct in the cck....@musicinclusive you do works for iconnect???

• @Sebastian said:
    I cannot vouch for the iConnectivity gear. As cool as it is in concept lots of people have reported issues with it (you can search this forum for them).

-

@MusicInclusive said:
    I also used both the iConnectAUDIO2+ and 4+ together in a live performance setup recently without any hassles at all. A good number of folks experience no issues at all with the iConnectivity gear. A sticking point for some seems to be the iConfig app, but, again, in general I experience few issues with it, even on a mini.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/13463/gig-couple-of-ipad-musicans-are-performing

I gig regularly with the ICA4, and have another in my studio.

Once we got past Apple's IOS9 bug, I've had no real problems with it - and still feel it sits in it's own category when you need run multiple IOS devices (or IOS/PC) and share audio and midi between them.

Yes - iConfig software/app isn't perfect and could really benefit from better UI - but it's not that hard to get necessary audio/midi routing in place.

• Thanks guys. You'll all get credits on my Another Green World pt 2 liner notes lol.

• Same here with ica4+. No problems at all since the ios9 update.

I used to do it in the analog domain. Just used a Blue Digital Mikey and plugged the headphone out of the iPad into the stereo line in on the BDM. Worked great. Can probably get one of those used for a song at this point.

• Yes, the iconnect stuff is the best, because it keeps the audio digital between the devices, no unnecessary D-A/A-D conversion.

If you are recording on a computer, you could use studiomux, and organize the routing to and from the ithings in the DAW. No extra hardware to buy.

• This solution is free

https://audre.io/

• Studiomux sucks, very bad on 6S+, actually audreio sucks as well. Free of the truth they claim for.

• @eustressor :: How's the audio quality on the condensor mic w the line 6?

• @Telstar5 said:
    @eustressor :: How's the audio quality on the condensor mic w the line 6?

LOL, the mic is the only part I haven't tried out yet. I really should, but I already have a nice Audio-Technica condensor mic set up with a gobo shield and everything. I'll give the Sonic Port's a go soon and report back :sweat_smile:

• Not that you asked @Telstar5 but the quality on the digital Mikey is a solid 'OK' in my book. Won't replace your nice condensers or anything but works just fine for field capture. Sounds a little less detailed than one of the zoom handy recorders (which sound quite good to my ears) but a hundred times better than the iPhone mic and will certainly capture band practice a whole lot better than a pair of 57s!