Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone seen this yet?

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-IS202-LIST?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CNaJn9OkgrgCFVBp7Aod9AwALw

It's basically a Behringer knockoff of the Alesis IO Dock

I wonder if I can get it to work with my ipad mini.

Comments

• A behringer disposable knockoff that costs as much as the original Alesis? No thanks.

• I was waiting for this but settled for the Akai EIE instead. I'm glad I did. You're kinda stuck with landscape orientation with the Behringer, and I agree, a knockoff at same price as Iodock doesn't make good business sense. I would say that the knobs on the front are more convenient than the hidden knobs on the Iodock. Also there were so many issues with the Iodock when it hit the market, I would wait a while for this one.

• mgmg4871,
    Right now I have a camera kit plugged into a powered usb hub, and into my iPad mini.
    If I had a USB class compliant audio interface, could I just plug it into another port on my hub, and use it along with my midi interface? I only have 1 USB audio interface (it's actually midi as well) but it doesn't work when I try this, I'm assuming because it's not class-compliant?

If so, I would probably lean that way, instead of this Behringer Dock.
    Now if they made one specifically for the mini, it might be different.

• If the iRig-Midi had an audio-out that would be my choice.
    All I really need is a Midi-in, an audio out, and the ability to charge the ipad, in as small a footprint as possible.

• @keeverw If that's all you need you should maybe look at the Griffin Studio Connect.

• I have looked at that. And I really do like the look of it. They are about to come out with a new one with a lightning connector as well. I just wish there was something a little less bulky than even that. My ipad case has a stand built in, so I don't need a dock like that. Just a dongle-style interface would be better for me.

Do you know about using an audio interface and a midi interface together into a USB hub like I'm talking about, if it would work?

• Someone on this forum was doing exactly that.

• Sweet.

I just hate to buy an interface and find out it doesn't work.

I guess if I go with something like this I should be ok, right?
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iTrackSolo

• I was looking for the post where I read it, but I can't find it.

• edited June 2013

Found this though.

Its not a problem. You can connect both the NanoPad and Zoom H4 to the iPad using a powered hub. Do beats on the nanopad, monitor and record audio through the H4.

The key point is that both usb devices have to be class compliant, i.e. driverless.

• That's the hard thing for me so far, finding out which ones are class compliant or not.
    That info is not readily available from what I've seen.

• @Keeverw here is a good place to start for audio interfaces.

http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

If it works with Auria, it will be class compliant. Their list also states whether a powered hub is necessary. Scroll thru the list for interfaces with 2 to 4 inputs. Loopy's forum has examples of people using audio and MIDI interfaces together on a USB hub, usually with MIDI foot pedals.
    forum.loopyapp.com

• @Hmtx Beware some of the info on Auria about audio interfaces is incorrect. I know the Akai EIE does not need a powered hub. I use it everyday.

• I think I am leaning hard toward either the Behringer dock or the Alesis at this point.
    They are the only ones that charge the ipad, offer all the IO I need, and don't take up too much room.

I hope once I get a good interface for audio like that, it will improve the sound I'm getting out of my ipad. I practiced with the worship team last night, using my ipad keyboard rig for the first time (I had been using Reason on my laptop prior to that), and I really wasn't terribly satisfied with the piano sounds I was getting. I was using the IAP piano pack in Sampletank. iGrand sounds better to me, but it's too glitchy for me.

• That Auria site says the Behringer UCA202 will work, and I like how small it is.
    I'm already using a powered hub for my Axiom keyboard controller, so that's no biggie.
    My powered hub is about the same size as this interface, and I have used really strong velcro to attach the hub to the top of my keyboard. I could do the same for this interface.

But I wonder if it would sound any better than the headphone jack on the ipad?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA202/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=audio&utm_term=uca202&adpos=1o2&creative=14165653081&device=c&network=g&matchtype=b&gclid=CK-kxsLhhLgCFbNj7AodNh8AGw