Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midiot Chronicles: Auria Pro Edition

So I've had Auria Pro on my iPad for several weeks, but it has been almost too intimidating to open up. There's ModStep to fiddle with, Blocs Wave, Cubasis, etc.

But I know that Auria Pro is the future.

Here's my dumb question:
Unless an instrument is an AU instrument (like iSem or Animoog), it must be "played" within Auria Pro.

For those other synths — Nanologue, Sunrizer, etc.

Do I have to use the sideways keyboard??

Comments

• @ExAsperis99 said:

The sideways keyboard isn't meant to be played, it's just there as a notation reference.

The way to record MIDI into Auria is to use an app that supports MIDI out, unfortunately not all iOS synths can do that, but many do. If you are tryingto record a synth that doesn't have MIDI out, then the solution os to use another app as a controller, such as MIDI Studio Pro, or Firo, or SoundPRism, Geo Synth, ChordPolyPad etc

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    So I've had Auria Pro on my iPad for several weeks, but it has been almost too intimidating to open up. There's ModStep to fiddle with, Blocs Wave, Cubasis, etc.

Here's my dumb question:
    Unless an instrument is an AU instrument (like iSem or Animoog), it must be "played" within Auria Pro.

There are many other apps that you can get nicer versions of the "sideways" keyboard.  Maybe you just need more info?
     When we discuss MIDI compatibility on the iPad or iPhone, we’re talking about a fundamental change in the way that you make connections that can send and receive event data.  MIDI initially involved networking devices through MIDI input and output ports through the use of a special five pin connector and occasionally some type of interface – whether you were connecting two synthesizers or a computer and a sound source, you had to make a physical connection.  Since each iOS music app is a self contained piece of software, you can’t make physical connections within the device; instead, you need to route the event data through virtual connections.  Once you enable MIDI, the software within each app makes the connections around the specifications that you set.  Even when you’re using an accessory like the iRig MIDI or the MIDI mobilizer to connect your iPad or iPhone to an external synth, you’re still making a “virtual” connection; through an adapter, you’re connecting a MIDI cable to your iOS device, but you’re routing the signal to the app through Virtual MIDI.  The “virtual” piece of the puzzle is the the fact that you’re not plugging into wire into specific pieces of hardware; instead you’re assigning connections within specific apps themselves.
     When you’re dealing with MIDI on an iOS device, there’s two terms that tend to float around – Virtual MIDI and Core MIDI. They both accomplish the same task – sending event data from one place to another – but they serve different pieces of the signal chain.  Core MIDI is a feature integrated into the iOS by Apple that allows any class-compliant USB MIDI controller to communicate with Core MIDI compatible apps.  That means that an external USB keyboard can be plugged into an iPad using the camera connection kit and trigger a Core MIDI compatible app like Sunrizer Synth.  Virtual MIDI on the other hand, is built into specific apps, providing the ports and connection protocols that allow you to use one app to trigger sounds in another app.  Virtual MIDI uses the Core MIDI feature to make the connections, but the actual ports and process that you go through involves Virtual MIDI.  You might use a combination of Virtual MIDI and Core MIDI to trigger both external and internal synthesizers from an iOS app, sending signals to different destinations on different MIDI channels.  Apps may be compatible with Core MIDI and not Virtual MIDI; they might support both, or they might not be compatible with either type of MIDI connection.  It’s important to remember that we are talking about two different things when we discuss Core MIDI and Virtual MIDI, since they accomplish different types of connections.
     Core MIDI preceded Virtual MIDI, but we didn’t always have the luxury of Core MIDI built into the Apple iOS.  In fact, it arrived on iOS devices fairly late, becoming a system wide API as a part of the iOS 4.2 update in 2010.  This was a bit of a surprise; Mac OSX has long integrated Core MIDI into its operating system, making MIDI connections on desktop music production a viable proposition.  The first few waves of iPhones and even the first iPad didn’t have Core MIDI capabilities, but folks were still determined to use their iPads and iPhones together with external devices.  Both Akai and Line 6 created Software Developer Kits for the Akai Connect and MIDI Mobilizer respectively, allowing developers to write compatibilities for these interfaces into their apps.  When a developer integrated these SDKs into their apps though, they were only making them compatible with that specific hardware.  That was the difference that arose with the arrival of Core MIDI – a developer could integrate Core MIDI into their app and any class compliant MIDI hardware device could work with it.  As you can imagine, this was a huge step forward that made MIDI an accessible tool for any iOS user.
     Virtual MIDI opens up a variety of music creation possibilities that significantly multiply the amount of power found in each individual music app.  A vast array of potential sits in the ability to trigger iOS synthesizers through the use of the many unique and inspiring controllers made possible by the touchscreen.  For example, you could use SoundPrism Pro to tap out an interesting chord progression that would be played using a lush pad patch on Sunrizer SynthArpeggionome Pro that you could then playback through some cutting edge patches in Animoog.  You might even put together a complete song in Genome MIDI Sequencer, MIDI Pattern Sequencer, or Koushion MIDI Step Sequencer that could be simultaneously triggering a number of iOS synth apps during song playback.  The possibilities are extensive when you look at the ever expanding collection of iOS sequencer, synthesizers, and more – connecting apps through Virtual MIDI means that you’re going to be making more interesting and intricate music.
      As the world of iOS music has advanced, the number of contexts where you can apply Virtual MIDI has also expanded.  Live performance is a prime area of application for Virtual MIDI; the rise of high quality iOS synths combined with the number of inventive controllers hitting the App Store means that performers have new tools to shape sound.  If they want to apply these tools on stage, they need to connect them through Virtual MIDI and send the output to an amplifier – the results could be truly inspirational.  With the advent of Audiobus, this also means that we can now input music through a controller and trigger audio in a synth app that can then be recorded on an iOS DAW.  This can lead to some pretty innovative stuff on the home recording front, opening up a whole new process for creating electronic music solely on an iPad or iPhone.  It’s certainly a huge step forward for electronic musicians, making a number of musical desires a reality in both live performance and studio work.
     Not all music apps are created equally, and as a result, not every music app takes advantage of the possibilities inherent with Virtual MIDI.  Developers need to write Virtual MIDI into their app in order to makes these connections.  Although there has been quite a bit of collaboration around the development of Virtual MIDI, in reality, its still a bit of a new technology.  On that token, its quite possible to encounter issues around Virtual MIDI compatibility between apps, largely due to the way that its implemented within the development.  Fortunately, when most developers make the leap into a major feature like Virtual MIDI, they generally work at it until they get it right.  For the few issues that you’ll encounter with certain apps, you’re going to find rock solid Virtual MIDI implementation in some apps like SoundPrism Pro, Sunrizer Synth, Genome MIDI Sequencer, Animoog, Arpeggionome Pro, and more.  It’s important to remember that this is a feature that won’t be found in all apps though, so you will probably want to make sure that a synth or sequencer app is Virtual MIDI compatible before your buy it – you can find a list of those apps on our Virtual MIDI Resource List.
     Virtual MIDI can sometimes be a bit difficult to grasp – much of what happens is behind the scenes, so sometimes the actual process is intangible.  The results are certainly worth the study though, so take the time to digest the whole idea of what Virtual MIDI is and what it can do.  We’ll be back soon in the next part of the tutorial with some specific examples of making Virtual MIDI connections between a number of popular apps.

• edited May 2016

@richardyot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

The sideways keyboard isn't meant to be played, it's just there as a notation reference.

Of course. Thank you. Doh!

The way to record MIDI into Auria is to use an app that supports MIDI out, unfortunately not all iOS synths can do that, but many do. If you are tryingto record a synth that doesn't have MIDI out, then the solution os to use another app as a controller, such as MIDI Studio Pro, or Firo, or SoundPRism, Geo Synth, ChordPolyPad etc

And...how will I know if an app supports midi out? I told you these were dumb questions.

Which midi controller do you recommend? I was looking at ChordPolyPad; is that very flexible? And does that mean I can use ChordPolyPad in several tracks in Auria Pro, each one attached to a different synth that doesn't support midi out on its own?

• App must have core midi"virtual" midi.

You can use any app if it is MIDI ready.

It is based on that and the channel number more than the names of the app.

If you want a traditional "piano" style that will work. Many will.

However, if you are looking for a chord player, look at Navichord as well.

You know you can use the keyboard of the actual apps you are using?

You just need to adjust ---say Isem or ANimoog's MIDI IN source and channel along with the reciprocal setting adjustments of the desired outcome app.

• ChordPolyPad is very flexible, however I don't know if you can play multiple synths with it at once - I only ever play one synth at a time.

• @RustiK said:
    App must have core midi"virtual" midi.

You can use any app if it is MIDI ready.

It is based on that and the channel number more than the names of the app.

If you want a traditional "piano" style that will work. Many will.

However, if you are looking for a chord player, look at Navichord as well.

You know you can use the keyboard of the actual apps you are using?

You just need to adjust ---say Isem or ANimoog's MIDI IN source and channel along with the reciprocal setting adjustments of the desired outcome app.

I thought I wasn't able to use those app keyboards?
    I used the iSem keyboard fine, but I thought it was because it was an AU extension? > @richardyot said:

ChordPolyPad is very flexible, however I don't know if you can play multiple synths with it at once - I only ever play one synth at a time.

@richardyot said:
    ChordPolyPad is very flexible, however I don't know if you can play multiple synths with it at once - I only ever play one synth at a time.

I'm so in the weeds here I can't tell if you're being droll or I'm just being dense. I mean can several tracks in Auria Pro have ChordPolyPad as the instrument, if each track is CPP playing a different synth. And not at the same time....

:)

• @RustiK said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Here's my dumb question:

There are many other apps that you can get nicer versions of the "sideways" keyboard.  Maybe you just need more info?
     When we discuss MIDI compatibility on the iPad or iPhone, we’re talking about a fundamental change in the way that you make connections that can send and receive event data.  MIDI initially involved networking devices through MIDI input and output ports through the use of a special five pin connector and occasionally some type of interface – whether you were connecting two synthesizers or a computer and a sound source, you had to make a physical connection.  Since each iOS music app is a self contained piece of software, you can’t make physical connections within the device; instead, you need to route the event data through virtual connections.  Once you enable MIDI, the software within each app makes the connections around the specifications that you set.  Even when you’re using an accessory like the iRig MIDI or the MIDI mobilizer to connect your iPad or iPhone to an external synth, you’re still making a “virtual” connection; through an adapter, you’re connecting a MIDI cable to your iOS device, but you’re routing the signal to the app through Virtual MIDI.  The “virtual” piece of the puzzle is the the fact that you’re not plugging into wire into specific pieces of hardware; instead you’re assigning connections within specific apps themselves.
     When you’re dealing with MIDI on an iOS device, there’s two terms that tend to float around – Virtual MIDI and Core MIDI. They both accomplish the same task – sending event data from one place to another – but they serve different pieces of the signal chain.  Core MIDI is a feature integrated into the iOS by Apple that allows any class-compliant USB MIDI controller to communicate with Core MIDI compatible apps.  That means that an external USB keyboard can be plugged into an iPad using the camera connection kit and trigger a Core MIDI compatible app like Sunrizer Synth.  Virtual MIDI on the other hand, is built into specific apps, providing the ports and connection protocols that allow you to use one app to trigger sounds in another app.  Virtual MIDI uses the Core MIDI feature to make the connections, but the actual ports and process that you go through involves Virtual MIDI.  You might use a combination of Virtual MIDI and Core MIDI to trigger both external and internal synthesizers from an iOS app, sending signals to different destinations on different MIDI channels.  Apps may be compatible with Core MIDI and not Virtual MIDI; they might support both, or they might not be compatible with either type of MIDI connection.  It’s important to remember that we are talking about two different things when we discuss Core MIDI and Virtual MIDI, since they accomplish different types of connections.
     Core MIDI preceded Virtual MIDI, but we didn’t always have the luxury of Core MIDI built into the Apple iOS.  In fact, it arrived on iOS devices fairly late, becoming a system wide API as a part of the iOS 4.2 update in 2010.  This was a bit of a surprise; Mac OSX has long integrated Core MIDI into its operating system, making MIDI connections on desktop music production a viable proposition.  The first few waves of iPhones and even the first iPad didn’t have Core MIDI capabilities, but folks were still determined to use their iPads and iPhones together with external devices.  Both Akai and Line 6 created Software Developer Kits for the Akai Connect and MIDI Mobilizer respectively, allowing developers to write compatibilities for these interfaces into their apps.  When a developer integrated these SDKs into their apps though, they were only making them compatible with that specific hardware.  That was the difference that arose with the arrival of Core MIDI – a developer could integrate Core MIDI into their app and any class compliant MIDI hardware device could work with it.  As you can imagine, this was a huge step forward that made MIDI an accessible tool for any iOS user.
     Virtual MIDI opens up a variety of music creation possibilities that significantly multiply the amount of power found in each individual music app.  A vast array of potential sits in the ability to trigger iOS synthesizers through the use of the many unique and inspiring controllers made possible by the touchscreen.  For example, you could use SoundPrism Pro to tap out an interesting chord progression that would be played using a lush pad patch on Sunrizer SynthArpeggionome Pro that you could then playback through some cutting edge patches in Animoog.  You might even put together a complete song in Genome MIDI Sequencer, MIDI Pattern Sequencer, or Koushion MIDI Step Sequencer that could be simultaneously triggering a number of iOS synth apps during song playback.  The possibilities are extensive when you look at the ever expanding collection of iOS sequencer, synthesizers, and more – connecting apps through Virtual MIDI means that you’re going to be making more interesting and intricate music.
      As the world of iOS music has advanced, the number of contexts where you can apply Virtual MIDI has also expanded.  Live performance is a prime area of application for Virtual MIDI; the rise of high quality iOS synths combined with the number of inventive controllers hitting the App Store means that performers have new tools to shape sound.  If they want to apply these tools on stage, they need to connect them through Virtual MIDI and send the output to an amplifier – the results could be truly inspirational.  With the advent of Audiobus, this also means that we can now input music through a controller and trigger audio in a synth app that can then be recorded on an iOS DAW.  This can lead to some pretty innovative stuff on the home recording front, opening up a whole new process for creating electronic music solely on an iPad or iPhone.  It’s certainly a huge step forward for electronic musicians, making a number of musical desires a reality in both live performance and studio work.
     Not all music apps are created equally, and as a result, not every music app takes advantage of the possibilities inherent with Virtual MIDI.  Developers need to write Virtual MIDI into their app in order to makes these connections.  Although there has been quite a bit of collaboration around the development of Virtual MIDI, in reality, its still a bit of a new technology.  On that token, its quite possible to encounter issues around Virtual MIDI compatibility between apps, largely due to the way that its implemented within the development.  Fortunately, when most developers make the leap into a major feature like Virtual MIDI, they generally work at it until they get it right.  For the few issues that you’ll encounter with certain apps, you’re going to find rock solid Virtual MIDI implementation in some apps like SoundPrism Pro, Sunrizer Synth, Genome MIDI Sequencer, Animoog, Arpeggionome Pro, and more.  It’s important to remember that this is a feature that won’t be found in all apps though, so you will probably want to make sure that a synth or sequencer app is Virtual MIDI compatible before your buy it – you can find a list of those apps on our Virtual MIDI Resource List.
     Virtual MIDI can sometimes be a bit difficult to grasp – much of what happens is behind the scenes, so sometimes the actual process is intangible.  The results are certainly worth the study though, so take the time to digest the whole idea of what Virtual MIDI is and what it can do.  We’ll be back soon in the next part of the tutorial with some specific examples of making Virtual MIDI connections between a number of popular apps.

Holy cow you just chose my new tattoo.

This helps immensely. Thank you.

• Not to hijack the thread further but yes you can have each pad in CPP set up to send out on a different MIDI channel.

• It would be impossible to hijack such an unfocused thread!

I really wanted to solve this myself, but I'm incapable, it seems.

So I have Navichord open. I want to use it to control Nanologue.

So in a midi track in Auria Pro, I choose NAVICHORD as the instrument.
    In the PORT menu in the channel strip, I've chose Channel 3; the input is NAVICHORD VIRTUAL OUT.
    The output is NANOLOGUE.

Is this correct so far?

In Navichord, the Midi in is AURIA PRO. The output is NANOLOGUE (or should it be Navichord Virtual Out?). In Navichord I can also choose output channels for chord voices and Keyboard. (Chose channel 3 for Keyboard.)

Nanologue's only option is Enable Midi In, which I have done.

I should be able to hit record in Auria, jump to Navichord and play.

I can hear sound, but no midi notes record. Should I just quit?

• Auria's lack of a proper midi controller is the reason I use Cubasis. App switching is a real pain while recording on ios, and a lack of controller in the daw completely breaks my workflow. It makes no sense why they they didn't include one.

• So maybe you're just meant to always use an external midi keyboard? How else do you manipulate the TINY TINY keys of the FabFilter Twin?

• wimwim
    edited May 2016

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I should be able to hit record in Auria, jump to Navichord and play.

I can hear sound, but no midi notes record. Should I just quit?

You did a bunch of stuff up there that you didn't need to, but I think the thing you might have missed is you also have to hit "Play" in Auria Pro after you hit Record.

@ExAsperis99 said:
    So maybe you're just meant to always use an external midi keyboard? How else do you manipulate the TINY TINY keys of the FabFilter Twin?

Not at all. You can use other apps like Navichord. Here's a simplified example:

1 Open up Navichord. It does not need to be loaded into AuriaPro.
    2 In settings, disable Audio
    3 In the MIDI settings

• Enable MIDI
    • Disable all MIDI inputs - you don't need them
    • Turn on Enable Chord Voices
    • Set all the channels to 1
    • Set Output to Navichord Virtual Out
      4 Open up Auria Pro and start a new project (so we don't have anything else confusing things)
      5 Add a MIDI track and set the instrument to a FabFilter Twin preset
      6 In the FX settings for the channel under PORT:

• Channel = 1

• Input = Navichord Virtual Out
    • Output = Off
      7 Arm the Track
      8 Switch over to Navichord and play something to verify that you hear FabFilter Twin playing.
      9 In Auria Pro, hit record then play
      10 Flip over to NaviChord and play
      11 Flip back to Auria Pro and hit stop. You should now have recorded notes in the FabFilter Twin channel.

If that works out for you then there are ways to make flipping back and forth and starting and stopping recording easier. But things got so jumbled in your first attempt with Nanolog, it's probably best to try it this way and then add on top of that.

Hope it helps...

• edited May 2016

That does it, thank you helping the fumble in the dark. It is the process similar for using A external synthesizer? Can I use Navichord to play Animoog? Or even Nanologue? (I love that dopey synth.)

• Great instructions @wim, thanks.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    That does it, thank you helping the fumble in the dark. It is the process similar for using A next ternal synthesizer? Can I use Navichord to play Animoog?

Yes, any synth that can be background audio enabled or can be loaded into another host like AudioBus, AUM, or Auria Pro can be controlled this way.

You can load NaviChord into the host if it makes it simpler to switch over to it. For instance, load NaviChord and Auria Pro both into AudioBus, so that you can make use of AudioBus's app switching and transport controls. In that way you can do what I described without flipping back and forth. You can enable record and hit play for Auria Pro directly from the AudioBus sidebar in Navichord. You just need to remember to arm the track in Auria Pro

• edited May 2016

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Can I use Navichord to play Animoog?

100% sure, yes. Or I pay refund to you by Paypal.

• ChordPolyPad can be sequenced and recorded on Auria's multi midi channels at the same time. Feel free to purchase it. The best chord playing midi app in iOS.

• @markk said:
    Great instructions @wim, thanks.

Heh. If @Kaikoo2 did it, it would have screenshots. ;)

• @wim said:

@markk said:
    Great instructions @wim, thanks.

Heh. If @Kaikoo2 did it, it would have screenshots. ;)

Nope, only my guesswork. I am lurking here to see the traffic .

• @Kaikoo2 said:
    ChordPolyPad can be sequenced and recorded on Auria's multi midi channels at the same time. Feel free to purchase it. The best chord playing midi app in iOS.

Just waiting for the Memorial Day sale, comrade. With fingers crossed.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Kaikoo2 said:
    ChordPolyPad can be sequenced and recorded on Auria's multi midi channels at the same time. Feel free to purchase it. The best chord playing midi app in iOS.

Just waiting for the Memorial Day sale, comrade. With fingers crossed.

Hardly a sale on CPP. Should email dev to see how that going.

• This is my first "holiday" as an iPad musicmaker. Don't ruin, uh, "Christmas"! Everything on sale and all Moog apps bundled for free.

• edited May 2016

@ExAsperis99 said:
    This is my first "holiday" as an iPad musicmaker. Don't ruin, uh, "Christmas"! Everything on sale and all Moog apps bundled for free.

All Gods bless you on CPP Christmas sale. But probabilities are on low side.

• Every day is Christmas at these price guv'nor.....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Every day is Christmas at these price guv'nor.....

You come back to see meeting here, Mr. Audiobus Forum president! :)

• @wim said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    That does it, thank you helping the fumble in the dark. It is the process similar for using A next ternal synthesizer? Can I use Navichord to play Animoog?

Yes, any synth that can be background audio enabled or can be loaded into another host like AudioBus, AUM, or Auria Pro can be controlled this way.

You can load NaviChord into the host if it makes it simpler to switch over to it. For instance, load NaviChord and Auria Pro both into AudioBus, so that you can make use of AudioBus's app switching and transport controls. In that way you can do what I described without flipping back and forth. You can enable record and hit play for Auria Pro directly from the AudioBus sidebar in Navichord. You just need to remember to arm the track in Auria Pro

Yeah. I need to just fumble around a bit. I tried to get navichord to drive Sunrizer. No sound. Did all configurations -- midi in and midi out just don't make sense in my bones yet, so I tried everything. Nothing. Then I put Synthmaster in navichord's midi out and it worked. Oh. Ok!

So then I load navichord into AB with Auria as the AB destination.
    But then what?

I'll figure it out. I at least see the shape of how things are supposed to look. I truly am in awe of you all who know this stuff inside out -- and then are willing to explain to people like me. Someday I hope to repay the favor to neophytes who come after me. And if any of you ever need a professional editor to read or proof anything at all, I'm your guy.

• edited May 2016

@ExAsperis99 said:

Yeah. I need to just fumble around a bit. I tried to get navichord to drive Sunrizer. No sound. Did all configurations -- midi in and midi out just don't make sense in my bones yet, so I tried everything. Nothing. Then I put Synthmaster in navichord's midi out and it worked. Oh. Ok!

But then what?

I'll figure it out. I at least see the shape of how things are supposed to look. I truly am in awe of you all who know this stuff inside out -- and then are willing to explain to people like me. Someday I hope to repay the favor to neophytes who come after me. And if any of you ever need a professional editor to read or proof anything at all, I'm your guy.

A) Fumbling is the key. B ) You have the gift of willingness, don't ever sell the value of that short :)

• Fumbling is the essential tool in the iOS musician's box.... :wink:

• It can be really confusing because so many different concepts are jumbled together. And MIDI implementations and needed settings vary from app to app. Then add that to all the different ways you can host apps (stand alone, in AUM, in AudioBus, in AUM within AudioBus. In Auria Pro, in Auria Pro within AudioBus, in Modstep, in Modstep within AudioBus, outside of Modstep but controlled by it ... It's endless and multi layered.

It'll help if you separate your thinking about Audio from your thinking about MIDI.

The best way I can put it is MIDI is a lot more "independent" than Audio. It doesn't usually matter where you load a MIDI app, as long as you set up the input and output ports correctly, the data should be able to get there.

@ExAsperis99 said:
    But then what?

The setup would be the same as before. You would set up Fab Twin (or whatever) in Auria Pro just like you did in my example before. The only reason you would load NaviChord into AudioBus is to take advantage of the app switching, start stop buttons, state saving, etc.

@ExAsperis99 said:

Sorry, can't help you there. I don't have Sunrizer.

• edited May 2016

As mentioned above. Midi is separate from audio. Doesn't matter if one app is loaded in modstep. Another in AUM and another in audiobus. As long as the ports are correct midi will pass from one to the other. For example. I open thumbjam standalone. Say I load an IAA in modstep. I want to drive this synth via thumbjam that is by itself outside modstep.

So in modstep I set input channel as thumbjam port 1. Output to modstep channel 1. Now I open the synth eg lorentz. Set its input to modstep channel 1. So now our midi route is thumbjam=>modstep=>Lorentz.
    Arm the channel in modstep doing the route. Say track 1. Click record. Now whatever you press in thumbjam will trigger the synth and also record into modsteps piano roll.

P.s:- I usually mute thumbjams internal insturments by clicking the menu bottom left =>controls=>fixed volume=>minimum possible.