Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iConnect Audio 4+: Discussion

Comments

• @mistercharlie your observation is correct:
    with red light on the knob adjusts the respective input gain, green indicates output gain control.
    The fiddly part is know what was tapped (I can't read the labels from my regular position)...

• Ha! Good point. I have read the manual several times, but I’ll check again.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Ha! Good point. I have read the manual several times, but I’ll check again.

Hihi, did you manage to get the ipad and computer both to be recognized? Using the right usb port is a curve ball.

• No problems at all with connections for me. Sending audio between mac and iPad is also fine.

I’ve been talking to the support team, as my output jack #2 is dead, but otherwise it’s all working as it should.

I’m also becoming a fan of the iConnect software. Once you get orientated, it’s very fast and powerful.

One other oddity. I renamed all ports, everywhere I could, before connecting the iPad for the first time. And yet, it still took the generic port names — USB Host 1, etc.

• Slightly off-topic: I’m using Mozaic to change iCA’s parameters with sysex messages (at the moment, just enabling/disabling direct monitoring for a single input). Would anyone be interested in me cleaning up the code a bit and make it available?

• @jipumarino said:
    Slightly off-topic: I’m using Mozaic to change iCA’s parameters with sysex messages (at the moment, just enabling/disabling direct monitoring for a single input). Would anyone be interested in me cleaning up the code a bit and make it available?

Yes please, that be awesome! 👏

• edited January 2020

I get this, if anyone smart people know how to solve this please tell

@mistercharlie said:
    No problems at all with connections for me. Sending audio between mac and iPad is also fine.

I’ve been talking to the support team, as my output jack #2 is dead, but otherwise it’s all working as it should.

I’m also becoming a fan of the iConnect software. Once you get orientated, it’s very fast and powerful.

One other oddity. I renamed all ports, everywhere I could, before connecting the iPad for the first time. And yet, it still took the generic port names — USB Host 1, etc.

Yes, so on the pc/mac the port naming will show correctly but it doesn’t work on the ipad 😔 Its a real shame since i have so many midi inputs into AUM. Thanks god AUM updated the midi matrix to highlight incoming and outgoing messages.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@jipumarino said:
    Slightly off-topic: I’m using Mozaic to change iCA’s parameters with sysex messages (at the moment, just enabling/disabling direct monitoring for a single input). Would anyone be interested in me cleaning up the code a bit and make it available?

👍 great! I'll post it here some time next week

• @[Deleted User] I’m sure I’ve gotten ports names to show up on iOS before. I think it was my Mio. I shall investigate further.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@jipumarino said:

• Does Auracle still only let you have one sending device and one receiving device? That drives me nuts. I'll have to look into reverting back to the old config as the way I want to use mine is to have 2 simultaneously playing iPads.

• @oddSTAR said:
    Does Auracle still only let you have one sending device and one receiving device? That drives me nuts. I'll have to look into reverting back to the old config as the way I want to use mine is to have 2 simultaneously playing iPads.

that auracle software is a mess.

• Just realized I can use this to route audio out from GarageBand, and into other apps. That means I can use its fantastic piano in BM3, all via nice stable hardware.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Just realized I can use this to route audio out from GarageBand, and into other apps. That means I can use its fantastic piano in BM3, all via nice stable hardware.

This is exactly why I use the ica4+ you can do stuff like route apple music into Ableton for sampling just like how people sample vinyls, or say any app that only sends audio to 1/2 into any daw for recording.

• @oddSTAR said:
    Does Auracle still only let you have one sending device and one receiving device? That drives me nuts. I'll have to look into reverting back to the old config as the way I want to use mine is to have 2 simultaneously playing iPads.

Auracle is only for beginners. The iconnect software is the real bread and butter.

• edited November 2020

Hey guys,
    I recently got a iCA4+ and having a hard time configuring it with Bitwig.
    What I try to achieve is to connect as many channels between my DAW and my iPad for full access in processing the sound.
    Maybe I have a major misunderstanding of how to route channels, but with this setup I have a feedback on Bitwigs Audio 2 - Channel, which is very annoying..

So this is my routing:

I am basically sending MIDI from my iPad via AUM to my Desktop on CH1, where I have loaded a VST instrument, which outputs to the Desktop' USB Stereo Out 1/2:

This then goes back into AUM on the iPad's USB Stereo In 1/2, where I add an effect and send it back to the DAW via the iPad's USB Stereo Out 1/2:

Back in my DAW I feed it in its USB Stereo In 1/2, where the feedback occurs:

What am I doing wrong here?

I have also tried to disable the iPad's routing into the Analog Mixer, but the feedback still occurs.

Are the USB-Audio-Channels on the iCA4+ only one-directional?

Or did I set something wrong in Bitwig (I am a newbie in Bitwig...)

I would really appreciate your help here..

/edit: It seems like it is the iPad's Channel 1/2, since it is reserved for its own audio. Maybe there is a workaround, but at this moment it works by avoiding to feed anything from Bitwig into the Stereo Out 1/2. This still gives me 4 Stereo / 8 Mono Channels for signal processing with both devices, or still 5 Stereo / 10 Mono Channels if I dln't interconnect the signal flows, but maybe there is another solution..

• Yes I think you should remove the 2 iPad connections into the analog mixer.

Just a quick question : I would like to set a FX loop with a guitar pedal, do you know if the ICA4+ supports it ? So I would route the iPad/desktop to one of the outputs and it back in the ICA. But I would have to disable monitoring of the dry signal, right ?

• All of a sudden the iPad is not seeing the iconectaudio4 as an audio device. Midi is fine. Anyone else seeing this? Air 2, iOS 14.3, Windows 10. Has been working flawlessly before.

• Have you tried restarting the iPad?

• I’ve restarted, unplugged, replugged everything. Going to start over and start again though

• Did that include a reset of the ICA4 as well?
    I'm going to try later with my iphone, I've not updated from 13.7 yet on ipad.

• Yes reset everything. Connected and reconnected everything. I connected my phone (iPhone 7, iOS 14.2) and got the same result. I think it’s a bad usb cord. Contacted iconnectiviy

• @ecamburn said:
    Yes reset everything. Connected and reconnected everything. I connected my phone (iPhone 7, iOS 14.2) and got the same result. I think it’s a bad usb cord. Contacted iconnectiviy

Good luck with the USB to lightning cord. Mine stopped working about a year ago, and iconnectivity doesn’t make the cord anymore. BUT, you can use a regular usb cable with the Apple Camera Connection dongle...just make sure you have the power hooked up to it also.

• @thatguysmitty said:

@ecamburn said:
    Yes reset everything. Connected and reconnected everything. I connected my phone (iPhone 7, iOS 14.2) and got the same result. I think it’s a bad usb cord. Contacted iconnectiviy

Good luck with the USB to lightning cord. Mine stopped working about a year ago, and iconnectivity doesn’t make the cord anymore. BUT, you can use a regular usb cable with the Apple Camera Connection dongle...just make sure you have the power hooked up to it also.

Good to hear you got something working.

Replacing the USB B to lightning cord with a Lightning to USB 3 Camera adapter fixed it (using a lightning cable for power). Apparently it's a common problem:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511212

• Hi there !
    Some routing questions here !
    I am trying to use several geoshred instance to save some CPU processing power (and I am such a cheapskate to not buy the desktop swam plugins :-) . I am kind of hitting a wall.

• Let say I want 3 sessions of geoshred in AUM running at the same time, with clarinet, sax and cello.
      • My MPE keyboard (sensel morph) is hooked to midi host port of the ICA4+
      • in bitwig, I use the HW instrument, that makes possible to input (and record)midi notes from the sensel into a clip. I select "USB2 ", so that notes can reach the iPad through the usb port. The midi clip then output notes to the first session of geoshred. It works, cool !
      • if I add another track in Bitwig, and I want to add another geoshred thread, I will run through the same process. As it is MPE, I cannot separate channel, so all the Bitwig clips will output into the same "USB2" port. So all geoshred instance will receive all the notes from the HW instruments...
        I read one could use up to 10 ports per USB connection (not midi host, that can go up to 8), but I get to see them in Bitwig, only the generic "USB2". Is that something we can iron out ?
        Thanks !!!!
  • @ecamburn said:
    All of a sudden the iPad is not seeing the iconectaudio4 as an audio device. Midi is fine. Anyone else seeing this? Air 2, iOS 14.3, Windows 10. Has been working flawlessly before.

This also happens to me. What usually helps is to plug out the USB hub from the iPad, plug out all MIDI devices from the USB hub and then plug the USB into the iPad so that the iConnect is the only USB device connected to the iPad. Then usually the iPad properly recognizes the iConnect and I can consequently connect all other USB devices again. I think I made it a routine when starting to work to connect the iConnect first and then all the other USB devices.

• @jazzmess said:
    Hi there !
    I am trying to use several geoshred instance to save some CPU processing power (and I am such a cheapskate to not buy the desktop swam plugins :-) . I am kind of hitting a wall.

• Let say I want 3 sessions of geoshred in AUM running at the same time, with clarinet, sax and cello.
      • in bitwig, I use the HW instrument, that makes possible to input (and record)midi notes from the sensel into a clip. I select "USB2 ", so that notes can reach the iPad through the usb port. The midi clip then output notes to the first session of geoshred. It works, cool !
      • if I add another track in Bitwig, and I want to add another geoshred thread, I will run through the same process. As it is MPE, I cannot separate channel, so all the Bitwig clips will output into the same "USB2" port. So all geoshred instance will receive all the notes from the HW instruments...
        I read one could use up to 10 ports per USB connection (not midi host, that can go up to 8), but I get to see them in Bitwig, only the generic "USB2". Is that something we can iron out ?
        Thanks !!!!

Are you on Windows or Mac? What Drivers?

How have you configured the MIDI Port Routing in the iConnect software?

• @uncledave said:

@jazzmess said:
    Hi there !

Thanks !!!!

Are you on Windows or Mac? What Drivers?

How have you configured the MIDI Port Routing in the iConnect software?

Thanks for your help :smile:
    iOS and Windows, I use the iconnectaudio app to set the routing, but what puzzles me is that I can only select "USB2" in Bitwig and not "Usb2-port1" "USB2 port 2" and so on, and the same on the iPad. Am I expecting too much here ? I can't route midi precisely midi with this...

• Nevermind I figured it out .
    Iconnectivity use the same naming for all devices (each of them have some HST, USB ports), which has confused me. I thought they were the same but it's not the case. So I managed to set up Bitwig 4 HW instruments sending midi, and routing back the audio of 4 channels in stereo, can sample and slice to Bitwig drum machine. Great stuff !

I am having trouble attaching an iPad mini on the usb host port (via powered usb, all other devices are detected by the iPad isn't). By the way, how do you send midi out as a slave midi device ? What output port can one select ?
    Thanks

• A midi slave has to listen to it‘s master‘s port, but can output anywhere.
    It may not start output until the master (condition) allows/gives start sign.