Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iConnect Audio 4+: Discussion

Comments

• @mistercharlie said:

@[Deleted User] said:

I believe the iconnect gear can link together so you get more audio channels, maybe worth keeping your iconnect midi?

Not a bad idea, seeing as it all works perfectly right now.

EDIT: Here's how to connect two devices together.

EDIT 2: This looks like the perfect solution. Well, almost perfect. I'd prefer the iCA4+ with more DIN ports, but this will do the trick.

Awesome!

• @mistercharlie said:

@[Deleted User] said:

I believe the iconnect gear can link together so you get more audio channels, maybe worth keeping your iconnect midi?

EDIT 2: This looks like the perfect solution. Well, almost perfect. I'd prefer the iCA4+ with more DIN ports, but this will do the trick.

Whoa for a second I thought I could expand audio inputs this way as well. Kinda glad I can’t because I’ve been using that as an excuse for not buying hardware.

• edited December 2019

@jipumarino said:

@mistercharlie said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Whoa for a second I thought I could expand audio inputs this way as well. Kinda glad I can’t because I’ve been using that as an excuse for not buying hardware.

internal digital audio channels are increased and can be routed I believe.

• I tried hooking up a Mio2 to the USB Host port of the iCM, only I didn’t connect them directly. I have a USB hub in the Host port, and I wanted to see if I could daisy-chain another iConnect device via the hub, while still using the hub for other midi devices.

It works perfectly. The Mio’s 4 DIN ports (2+2) show up in the USB host list. Very cool indeed. This also means I can hook up a little Mio to get a few more DIN ports, and sell the iCM.

Oh, and the Mio is powered from the bigger unit, via USB.

• edited December 2019

@Telefunky said:
    (as with all pro audio gear you pay double for a quarter of improvement) ;)

Truth!

• I like my iCA4+ plenty. I generally use a Sytek pre when recording mics but have used the on board pres several times and never had a problem with the sound. The config app was still really slow last I used it but it's been a while to be honest—basically set and forget for me.

• I picked one up, and I have my old Mio hooked up to add two extra DIN pairs.

And I have a question about Audio routing:

I use a Mackie mixer, and send an output from that to the audio interface. I then take the output from the audio interface, back to the Mackie.

By default, the audio routing inside the iConnectAudio4+ is more complex than I need. It uses a mix bus — called Analog Mixer — as an intermediary stage between ins and outs. It also routes the analog input jacks direct to the output jacks. I don’t need either of these.

I just want to send iPad audio out of one output pair, and Mac audio out the other, and also send audio from Mac to iPad and Vice versa.

My question, finally, is: Is there any disadvantage to ignoring the Analog Mixer section? I don’t need to change levels, just route audio.

• edited January 2020

@mistercharlie said:
    I picked one up, and I have my old Mio hooked up to add two extra DIN pairs.

And I have a question about Audio routing:

I use a Mackie mixer, and send an output from that to the audio interface. I then take the output from the audio interface, back to the Mackie.

By default, the audio routing inside the iConnectAudio4+ is more complex than I need. It uses a mix bus — called Analog Mixer — as an intermediary stage between ins and outs. It also routes the analog input jacks direct to the output jacks. I don’t need either of these.

I just want to send iPad audio out of one output pair, and Mac audio out the other, and also send audio from Mac to iPad and Vice versa.

My question, finally, is: Is there any disadvantage to ignoring the Analog Mixer section? I don’t need to change levels, just route audio.

I completely bypass the analog mixer section, it has no use to me as I using both the iPad and PC as the mixers. Just makes the routing easier to visualise without that pesky mixer section.

• @[Deleted User] Excellent. I shall do the same.

Also, how do you know when the inputs and outputs are at unity gain when using the knob? I don’t need extra gain — that all comes from the Mackie.

• edited January 2020

@mistercharlie said:
    @[Deleted User] Excellent. I shall do the same.

Also, how do you know when the inputs and outputs are at unity gain when using the knob? I don’t need extra gain — that all comes from the Mackie.

I think you can check in the iconfig software looking at the audio mixer page, I believe it still shows the levels even when not routing. I double clicked the level to put them at 0db when needed. once you have all your levels set (and your routing) remember to save the set up to hardware so you have a default template in the hardware.

• I’ll try that. I remember wiggling the knob and watching the levels on the in-app mixer, and not seeing any changes.

• edited January 2020

@mistercharlie said:
    I’ll try that. I remember wiggling the knob and watching the levels on the in-app mixer, and not seeing any changes.

with the knob you need to make sure it is set to either in or out before wiggling but i'm sure you know this.

• What are advantages to not using 2 audio interface, should I buy another ipad. Id probably buy an interface suitable for 1 turntable and mixer for timecode vinyl and dvs dj program on ios. Think interface for that needs rca, so a behringer ufo thing at least, unless a deck could use trs inputs and dj program recognises iconnecr interface and has low latency but I dont think it works that way. Is only 1 deck though.

With 2 interfaces I dont get midi or be able to use an ipad for sequencing to the other. Think I just need it for standalone programs but wont be happy should I need to sequence.

What do you think. Sell u44 and capsule and buy iconnect 4 and a behringer thing for scratches.

Or just a behringer thing, input to u44 and no midi.

• @sigma79 said:
    What are advantages to not using 2 audio interface, should I buy another ipad. Id probably buy an interface suitable for 1 turntable and mixer for timecode vinyl and dvs dj program on ios. Think interface for that needs rca, so a behringer ufo thing at least, unless a deck could use trs inputs and dj program recognises iconnecr interface and has low latency but I dont think it works that way. Is only 1 deck though.

With 2 interfaces I dont get midi or be able to use an ipad for sequencing to the other. Think I just need it for standalone programs but wont be happy should I need to sequence.

What do you think. Sell u44 and capsule and buy iconnect 4 and a behringer thing for scratches.

the u44 has midi no?

• @sigma79 said:
    What are advantages to not using 2 audio interface,

I'm starting to wonder the same thing. I got the iCA4+ so I could have fewer boxes on the desk, and not need switch the USB connector between iPad and Mac.

In practice, it's not so great. I appear to have a defective unit -- one of the USB input channels doesn't work. It's hidden in the default setup, but when you strip down all the extra routes, it shows up. I don't think it's user error :smile:

Also, the unit doesn't charge the USB-C iPad Pro, which means I have to connect it to a hub, in which case I may as well go back to separate audio and midi devices.

• edited January 2020

@mistercharlie said:

@sigma79 said:
    What are advantages to not using 2 audio interface,

I'm starting to wonder the same thing. I got the iCA4+ so I could have fewer boxes on the desk, and not need switch the USB connector between iPad and Mac.

In practice, it's not so great. I appear to have a defective unit -- one of the USB input channels doesn't work. It's hidden in the default setup, but when you strip down all the extra routes, it shows up. I don't think it's user error :smile:

Also, the unit doesn't charge the USB-C iPad Pro, which means I have to connect it to a hub, in which case I may as well go back to separate audio and midi devices.

The ipad only works on one of the usb inputs (only one usb charges) I believe when in use with PC, iconnect have the manual messed in regards to newer versions if i remember, they swapped the usb 1 and 2 inputs in the newer hardware revision. Maybe this helps

As for charging i have a ipad pro with lightening connection so cant help you there.

• edited January 2020

@deltaVaudio

On your ICA4 which input is for ipad? 1 or 2?

• @[Deleted User] said:

@sigma79 said:
    What are advantages to not using 2 audio interface, should I buy another ipad. Id probably buy an interface suitable for 1 turntable and mixer for timecode vinyl and dvs dj program on ios. Think interface for that needs rca, so a behringer ufo thing at least, unless a deck could use trs inputs and dj program recognises iconnecr interface and has low latency but I dont think it works that way. Is only 1 deck though.

the u44 has midi no?

For a 2nd ipad possibly. The benefits to potentially sending midi through the iconnect from ipad to ipad vs 2 audio interface, as I could use a behringer for the dj program to make turntable timecode/dvs and also use behringer for standalone auv3/iaa ( mainly ios drums and stuff like shoom, bram new app but as I say it could end up for sequencing so xequence has a screen etc. I know everything can be done on a single ipad but it might be creative to have a couple screens, along with midi controllers. I guess more function overall.

• Seems like hassle. Can it function with 2 ipads. Midi and audio. Wouldnt want to spend over 500 pound for something thats hassle, when can just use a single ipad.

• edited January 2020

@sigma79 said:
    Seems like hassle. Can it function with 2 ipads. Midi and audio. Wouldnt want to spend over 500 pound for something thats hassle, when can just use a single ipad.

Yeah it can connect two ipad at the same time midi and audio. ICA4 is 250 quid new. I say this but i never use two iPads myself, only one iPad will be charge by the unit though. Also i dont use a usb-c ipad.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@sigma79 said:
    Seems like hassle. Can it function with 2 ipads. Midi and audio. Wouldnt want to spend over 500 pound for something thats hassle, when can just use a single ipad.

Yeah it can connect two ipad at the same time midi and audio. ICA4 is 250 quid new.

I know. Expensive to add a 2nd ipad. Could buy a digitone or something. Would sell u44 and capsule though.

Thanks.

• You wouldnt use a 2nd ipad for drambo/sb drumcomputer. Xequence on a screen. Shoom type stuff on screen?

I guess its because you actually make tracks and Im just playing some synths over a volca drum but Im like what now usually.

I guess people would prefer a laptop to arrange or a digitone instead of ipad but the original theory remains with the ios drum machines etc.

• @sigma79 said:
    You wouldnt use a 2nd ipad for drambo/sb drumcomputer. Xequence on a screen. Shoom type stuff on screen?

I guess its because you actually make tracks and Im just playing some synths over a volca drum but Im like what now usually.

I guess people would prefer a laptop to arrange or a digitone instead of ipad but the original theory remains with the ios drum machines etc.

You can have two ipads and a digitone, ICA4 has a usb connection for midi devices, i stuck in a usb power hub and can run 8 usb midi devices.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@sigma79 said:
    You wouldnt use a 2nd ipad for drambo/sb drumcomputer. Xequence on a screen. Shoom type stuff on screen?

You can have two ipads and a digitone, ICA4 has a usb connection for midi devices, i stuck in a usb power hub and can run 8 usb midi devices.

Thanks Trevor. Will use gear till about Feb anyway. See if I need more gear then.

• I wonder, what are you folks using for input levels? I'd like to have my iCA4+ at unity in and out, to let my Mixer take care of things, but it's hard to tell what unity levels are. I seems you have to crank the input levels a bit to get a healthy signal for recording.

• edited January 2020

@mistercharlie said:
    I wonder, what are you folks using for input levels? I'd like to have my iCA4+ at unity in and out, to let my Mixer take care of things, but it's hard to tell what unity levels are. I seems you have to crank the input levels a bit to get a healthy signal for recording.

You can route to the analogue mixer in real time and set levels then deselect the routing once set.

I'm running at 96khz 24bit hence the limited channels

• That looks like a good idea. I’ll see how I get on with that, but it looks straightforward.

One more question: what do the red/green modes mean on the front panel. When I set the “in” levels, for instance, tapping the IN button once gives a green LED. Tapping again is red. Both seem to affect different settings. Is it gain and volume?

• edited January 2020

@mistercharlie said:
    That looks like a good idea. I’ll see how I get on with that, but it looks straightforward.

One more question: what do the red/green modes mean on the front panel. When I set the “in” levels, for instance, tapping the IN button once gives a green LED. Tapping again is red. Both seem to affect different settings. Is it gain and volume?

Green shows your input level, red shows the db position of the analogue input so it reflects the analogue inputs channels in diagram one i posted (red reflects the blue line).

• @[Deleted User] said:

Green shows your input level, red shows the db position of the analogue input so it reflects the analogue inputs channels in diagram one i posted (red reflects the blue line).

Ok, so the knob increase the input level, regardless of whether the red or green is showing? That is, the knob only changes one parameter?

It looks like it adjusts different things though. I get different level meters on the front panel depending on whether I pick the red or green LEDs.

Sorry if I’m being dumb here. I’m used to analog mixers, with an input gain and a level for each channel.

• @mistercharlie said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Ok, so the knob increase the input level, regardless of whether the red or green is showing? That is, the knob only changes one parameter?

It looks like it adjusts different things though. I get different level meters on the front panel depending on whether I pick the red or green LEDs.

Sorry if I’m being dumb here. I’m used to analog mixers, with an input gain and a level for each channel.

There is a manual which explains better than me.