Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iConnect Audio 4+: Discussion

Comments

• Also this is a very helpful thread but a weird title. Sounds like a gripe session but there is lots of positive feedback for iCA4+ here.

• edited June 2016

@gburks said:
    A great feature, probably imaginary and impossible, would be for iConnectAudio4+ to somehow create a LAN network that would let you run a wired Ableton LINK connection between two devices, and not have to sync them over wi-fi.

you can basically do this already. have link apps running on master ipad. have say modstep,patterning etc send midi clock to 2nd ipad. have midi link sync running on 2nd ipad recieving midi clock. will link to other apps running on 2nd ipad. thus wired Link. just make sure to do tempo changes on master ipad since midi link sync is unidirectional i think when it comes to midi.

• Hey, I work with iConnectivity and got a link to this thread from a post on our forum. From my prejudiced point of view, nobody else is making MIDI interfaces - never mind audio - that address the way people want to work today - they haven't changed since the '80s.

But of course it's true that things aren't as straightforward when you're routing audio and MIDI between two computer devices. The idea is that you can just plug in a computer and collaborate, or re-connect your live rig to your studio set-up, or just use two computers. And it took some engineering to make the Lightning cable charge an iPad.

Anyway, I don't always see these posts, but if anyone is having issues, please post on the iConnectivity forum. I'll try and help, and if I can't then I'll refer you to support.

By the way, three new mio MIDI interfaces for Mac and PC were just announced today. :)

• edited June 2016

@crony said:

@rad3d said:

@MusicInclusive said:
    So, @rad3d and others, are you connecting your 3rd iPad to the Host port for that MIDI?

Yes -
    IOS device >> CCK >> Powered Hub >> Host Port

Hello,
    I just tried that, but the ICA4+ does not see the Ipad at all...It does not respond or send any midi.
    I have the CCK powered, connected to the host port (tried only with the Ipad) with a male/male USB cable...
    Do you see the name of the Ipad into the connected devices ? Can you assign it properly ? (to reconnect automatically on reboot)

So after discussing with @nickbatz (from Iconnect team) it seems impossible to do that.
    I ended up by using a classical midi interface connected thru usb on the Host port, then on the third Ipad, a CCK to an other midi interface, then I've connected both midi interface, just tested : this works perfect !

• edited June 2016

@Harro said:
    @gonekrazy3000, here's a dropboxlink to my iCA4+ setup. Use at your own risk ( :| ). It's a iConfig-preset-file and you should copy that on your PC to the folder where iConfig can find its presets (search for "*.ica4" on the drive where you installed iConfig, and you'll find that folder).
    Notice that I have my PC in usb-port 1 and the iPad in usb-port 2, while the default is the other way round!
    Also: maybe it's easier to just build your patchbay in iConfig like mine (see picture above) (after first saving the preset that you're using now)?
    Good luck!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5483870/default_with_headphonemix.ica4

ok. the file doesn't work. but in trying to recreate your routing i cant seem to find out how to get 8 analog I/O mixer destinations and 6 sources. i can either get 8/4 or 6/6.

how did you manage 6/8 ???? could you please give some screens of your audio info page ?

• edited June 2016

I'm using a USB hub plugged into the host port on the iCA4+, and have several midi controllers plugged into that.

I have a major issue whenever the iCA4+ is reconnected, my midi controllers are assigned a different port name. Like sometimes my keyboard will be iConnectAudio4+ HST1, and sometimes it will be HST6.

This is a nightmare trying to recall AUM or Modstep projects. Whatever I have saved for routings in those projects is totally wrong when I reopen it later.

Before I had the iCA4+, the controllers where all known by their name, instead of being obsfucated by a generic HST #. I can deal with the guessing game of which host goes with which controller, but I cannot deal with the host names reshuffling themselves between sessions. What is the solution?

• i believe the ica4 has the ability to reserve midi ports for usb devices, intended to solve the very problem you are having.

• @wellingtonCres said:
    i believe the ica4 has the ability to reserve midi ports for usb devices, intended to solve the very problem you are having.

Can someone tell me how to do this? This is causing major problems every day trying to reopen my projects...

• edited June 2016

@gburks said:

@wellingtonCres said:
    i believe the ica4 has the ability to reserve midi ports for usb devices, intended to solve the very problem you are having.

Can someone tell me how to do this? This is causing major problems every day trying to reopen my projects...

I covered it in one of the official iCA4+ videos here:

• @MusicInclusive said:

@gburks said:

@wellingtonCres said:

@MusicInclusive this was INCREDIBLY helpful. I have been watching a few of those videos but had not made it to this one. Great videos!

These instructions achieved most of my needs - my saved Modstep and AUM configurations do not shuffle around from session to session any more.

However, I renamed the ports under USB Device Jacks and USB Host Jack1, from names like "HST 1" to names like "nanoKEY2," but all of my iPad apps still list the ports under the generic names ("iConnectAudio4+ HST1"). Shouldn't these friendly names show up as the port names on my iPad?

• @gburks said:

@MusicInclusive said:

@gburks said:

@wellingtonCres said:

@MusicInclusive this was INCREDIBLY helpful. I have been watching a few of those videos but had not made it to this one. Great videos!

These instructions achieved most of my needs - my saved Modstep and AUM configurations do not shuffle around from session to session any more.

However, I renamed the ports under USB Device Jacks and USB Host Jack1, from names like "HST 1" to names like "nanoKEY2," but all of my iPad apps still list the ports under the generic names ("iConnectAudio4+ HST1"). Shouldn't these friendly names show up as the port names on my iPad?

Unfortunately - there's the rub... When you first connect your iPad to the interface, as I understand it, it caches the names of whatever the ports are set to in the attached device (this isn't a specific iC issue). The only sure way round that is to completely reset your iPad and start over. :neutral: Not a good solution. It's an Apple / iOS issue.

So, no, it will not reflect the changes in iOS that you made in the iConfig software :confounded:

• edited June 2016

@MusicInclusive said:
    Unfortunately - there's the rub... When you first connect your iPad to the interface, as I understand it, it caches the names of whatever the ports are set to in the attached device (this isn't a specific iC issue). The only sure way round that is to completely reset your iPad and start over. :neutral: Not a good solution. It's an Apple / iOS issue.

So, no, it will not reflect the changes in iOS that you made in the iConfig software :confounded:

UHG. It would be nice to figure out how to poke around and clear that name cache. I wonder if this could be found in some config file in the iExplorer, iFunbox, or iMazing backup explorers?

It seems like iConnectivity should offer a big "STOP! Do this first!!!" card that instructs you to connect to a desktop and change the port names before connecting to your iPad for the first time?

• @gburks said:

@MusicInclusive said:

UHG. It would be nice to figure out how to poke around and clear that name cache. I wonder if this could be found in some config file in the iExplorer, iFunbox, or iMazing backup explorers?

It seems like iConnectivity should offer a big "STOP! Do this first!!!" card that instructs you to connect to a desktop and change the port names before connecting to your iPad for the first time?

Same would be true of any other manufacturer that offered the capability. :smile:

I've discussed the issue previously with iC and, as I say, AFAIK, there is no way to poke around and change things. It's locked down by Apple.

• Just confirmed, I had not connected my iPhone to my iCA4+ before I changed port names, and my desired port names show up throughout my iPhone. It's going to be frustrating on an ongoing basis having to view my ports using a generic name on the iPad.

On the other hand port configurations aren't permanent so it is going to be equally frustrating on my iPhone if I ever change out midi controllers, but they forever are cached to show an old port name.

• edited December 2016

It's baffling how fast time can fly by when you are hellbent on figuring this stuff out on your own. Unfortunately--I jumped right in before consulting this endless pool of knowledge.

Bunch o' Questions I Definitely NEed Help With:

My Equipment: ICA2+, IM2+, Scarlett 214 2nd, IpadPro, iPhone, akai mpd226, akai mpk226, my pc in ableton.

Idea: 2 apps from my iPhone coming out of AUM via Audiobus...channels 1/2 and 3/4 respectively going to channels 1/2 and 3/4 into audiobus, into aum and bussed with how many other apps I may have open in the ipad--all via audiobus and aum with audio being sent to headphones

THE QUESTION REGARDING THAT CONCEPT
    1. I want to use the iconfigure software to make a custom patch that:
    A) Doesn't use the iconfigure mixer AT ALL (I don't think I need or want that) Do I need it to get sound out?
    B ) Only uses analog output for my monitors and headphones/At the moment I don't even need analog in
    C ) USB1 would be my iPad (or pc) receiving from USB2 (iPhone) via correlating channels 1/2 and 3/4 .
    D) Everything would be bussed and mix in AUM as a 2 channel stereo mix, out of the analog outs (and into whatever app I record with

IDEA #2:

Iphone connected to Midi2+ with the PC USB going into the AUDIO2+. The idea is to connect one of my controllers to the midi2+ and then another to the ICA2+ for my ipad.

Basically daisy chain the IM2+ phone > ICA2+ to Ipad

Should've just bought the damn ICA4.

• Hi all, I’m eyeing up Iconnect audio 4+ but watching one of the videos (most likely yours @MusicInclusive) I’ve noticed powered usb hub mentioned. So, is that true that a passive hub will not be enough to power even low power Akai midi controllers?

• edited November 2017

I power an (mpd32) pad controller, a (code25) keyboard controller, a few other midi bits and pieces and an LED snake light thing (to illuminate the mpd pads!) all from a usb hub plugged into the iCA4+ host port. Don’t even need to supply power to the hub (although I guess I could if I wanted/needed).

• @supadom I can also confirm that I have used a non-powered USB hub with it to power my Launchpad Pro and Axiom 49. Works fine for me.

• @gmslayton said:
    @supadom I can also confirm that I have used a non-powered USB hub with it to power my Launchpad Pro and Axiom 49. Works fine for me.

Cheers man, that's a good news, making sure it is charged is one less thing to worry about.

Since I've posted I've done more reading of this thread and have to say that it paints a rather unfavourable picture in terms of stability. Akai EIE has been super stable for me but both of my units developed some intermittency with the USB port and I'm kind of on the market for a new, hopefully better one.

How did you get on in the end?

@Shaken&;Stirred @OscarSouth @Carnbot @Munibeast @Harro @rad3d
    @mkell424 @Fitz @BigDawgsByte @gonekrazy3000 @crony

• Take a lot of tweaking to get the most out of it but there’s literally no comparison - iCA4+ is the only viable option. Unbelievably cool hardware.

• Hello @supadom, there is a discussion about (compatible) usb hubs for the iConnectivity devices on the iConnectivity forum; see: https://www.iconnectivity.com/forum#/categories and then; Midi -> USB hubs working with host port.
    And yes, I'm still very happy with my iCA4+ and there is good news: iConnectivity is "almost ready" with the development of a completely new version of the iConfig software...

• edited November 2017

I'm still using it every day. My novation audiohub is sad and lonely as a result. No issues whatsoever for me. I love that it has the ability to loopback audio even on the same system. I'm currently using it to loop back audio between ableton and the newly released freeware modular app VCVRack on my PC. It's a lot more stable than Jackrouter anyways.

• edited November 2017

@OscarSouth said:
    Take a lot of tweaking to get the most out of it but there’s literally no comparison - iCA4+ is the only viable option. Unbelievably cool hardware.

Yep, it certainly goes well beyond what others can do. And I guess the complexity springs out mostly from that. What I was worried about was instability that some here have reported.

@Harro said:
    Hello @supadom, there is a discussion about (compatible) usb hubs for the iConnectivity devices on the iConnectivity forum; see: https://www.iconnectivity.com/forum#/categories and then; Midi -> USB hubs working with host port.
    And yes, I'm still very happy with my iCA4+ and there is good news: iConnectivity is "almost ready" with the development of a completely new version of the iConfig software...

If software is clunky then that's a good news indeed.

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'm still using it every day. My novation audiohub is sad and lonely as a result. No issues whatsoever for me. I love that it has the ability to loopback audio even on the same system. I'm currently using it to loop back audio between ableton and the newly released freeware modular app VCVRack on my PC. It's a lot more stable than Jackrouter anyways.

Cool. Amazing features are nothing without stability ;)

• I trust it live.

• I love mine and have 2 ica4s :)

It does take a while to get into setting up your best options but once you are there it's great. I only wish the usb ports were on the front of the box so I can swap between two ios or computer and ios easily. The actual usb connections are a bit wobbly on the ports is my only gripe with the hardware itself.

• I have the midi4+
    I hope the software is much improved - it has been turned off for over a year now....

• I have been investigating the ICA4+ because one was offered on craiglist in my area.

I did think it was the best option for a one box audio/midi interface but I was put off by the seller saying that it wouldnt work with a 64bit/ios10 iPad. I tralled the forums etc and didnt find anything to indicate this is true but it did put me off enough to miss a bargain. The only thing I can imagine he was referring to was the iconfig app.
    It is good to here that this inspires confidence. I wont hesitate next time one comes up

• I have an iConnectAUDIO2 which is sitting in a box in my apartment. It never really worked for me. What I mean by that is that it would disconnect from audio two-three times a day. This went on for months. I would either unplug it or reset the computer. Otherwise it was fine, but annoying.

But when it completely shut down, I spent $40 sending it to the factory in Canada. They said it worked perfectly, and I'm sure it did.

But when I got it back, I had the same problem. I'm willing to believe that the issue is with my system, and not the unit. I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and I've never had this problem once. And I like having all those knobs and buttons.

I haven't sold the iConnectAUDIO2 even though the factory gave it a clean bill of health. So I keep it around to use if I ever want to hook up my iPad. I can get it to work, but it's not worth it to me to have the sound go off on my computer constantly.

• not sure about this model, but i’ve had an iconnectmidi2+ and it has been the best thing ever for integrating ios in to the mix with my desktop audio workspace. It so nice to be able to send audio and midi either direction between computer and ipad. great company, and they are very helpful if you have problems setting up or anything. i highly recommend