Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Frekvens AU update v 1.3.3

frekvens by Erik Sigth
https://appsto.re/tw/i6xu_.i

Thank you, my developer.

Comments

• My favourite FX just got even better - thank you developer !!!

• Awesome! ios music is moving forward!!!

thank you !!!

• Never used it. Shuffle lost in. One of the things I value most about this estimable place is how every once in a while an app gets re-mentioned and folks share their enthusiasm which makes me think; oops, must be me, quick, go back...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Never used it. Shuffle lost in. One of the things I value most about this estimable place is how every once in a while an app gets re-mentioned and folks share their enthusiasm which makes me think; oops, must be me, quick, go back...

Maybe good for Moodscaper?

a strings play

• Love this app, but I'm not sure when I would need multiple instances of it running at the same time. Still, good to know I can if the need ever arises.

• @MrNezumi said:
    Love this app, but I'm not sure when I would need multiple instances of it running at the same time. Still, good to know I can if the need ever arises.

Maybe a double layering on one instrument with one AUM track, then do a Zero Reverb.

• edited May 2016

Updated and tried. Running extremely slow when added as AU. I tried 2 instances and it was running at a snails pace. Then lost all sound and had to reboot. Tried again with same results. Anyone else? iPad Air 2, latest iOS

UPDATE: runs fine now for some reason. I rebooted and it was doing the same, then did the shut down, hold home button thing and that didn't fix either. Gave up. Bought Crytaline, tried it... Then tried adding Frekvens too & it worked fine. Then tried my original test, i.e. Launchpad + blocs wave + AUM with Frekvens as AU on each, and it worked fine. Have no idea what was going on but the ghost appears to have moved on. :)

• Cheers guys for the kind words.

@skiphunt Oh, that doesn't sound good. Not seen that one, I will test your combination of apps and see if I can recreate it. I am seeing this AUv3 stuff as bit of an experiment, I think for the most solid experience iaa is a safer bet. It definitely has potential though, with multiple instances and exposed parameters.

But then you are also kind of at the mercy of the host, I have done most of my testing with AUM and Cubasis which overall I think are very nice.

Thanks

ERik

• edited May 2016

@humbletune said:
    Cheers guys for the kind words.

@skiphunt Oh, that doesn't sound good. Not seen that one, I will test your combination of apps and see if I can recreate it. I am seeing this AUv3 stuff as bit of an experiment, I think for the most solid experience iaa is a safer bet. It definitely has potential though, with multiple instances and exposed parameters.

But then you are also kind of at the mercy of the host, I have done most of my testing with AUM and Cubasis which overall I think are very nice.

Thanks

ERik

Hi ERik,

I was just able to reproduce the same problem. Quit out everything, restarted, and was able to reproduce the behavior consistently.

Seems to have to do with the order in which apps are added and played in AUM.

Here's the initial test that caused it in the order of actions that consistently causes Frekvens to slow down to a crawl and eventually lose audio:

Open AUM>Add 2 Channels>Add Launchpad to 1 and Blocs Wave to 2>Add Frekvens AU to each channel>Play a few pads in Launchpad to get a loop going>Get a couple of Blocs Wave loops going in chan 2>click to launch Frekens as AU in chan 1 or 2

At this point, Frekvens is running extremely slow, and will eventually loose all audio for all. Even if you quit out and close all apps, then launch another audio app, still no audio. Only fix is to reboot and start over.

Here's where it gets interesting... If you first add Launchpad to one channel only in AUM only, then add frekvens AU, then get a loop going, then hit frekvens, it works perfectly. If you then add the second channel after the first channel with Launchpad is set up and running with frekens, THEN add a second channel with Blocs wave, and frekvens AU, get a loop going there too, then hit frekvens, it's all working fine as well.. BOTH at the same time.

The problem is ONLY if you set everything up and once, ie. both channels, both apps, add frekvens AU to each, THEN start your loops, frekvens slows to crawl and eventually all sound is lost, with only a reboot fixing it.

By the way, I think it's awesome you dove right into the AUv3 waters. Very cool and thx!

Hope that helps. :)

• Hey, @skiphunt, thanks for the guide, we like consistent behaviour. Will try this as soon as I can. I have no idea what it could be but hopefully the debugger will tell me something. :)

Happy Friday!

ERik

• @humbletune said:
    Cheers guys for the kind words.

Thanks

ERik

hey. i was wondering. is there a way to get the app to accept host midi clock ?

• @gonekrazy3000 At the moment no. The AUv3 protocol does support getting musical beat info from the host but at the time I tried it I came to the conclusion no host yet supports it. However, I might have been wrong because I stumbled upon a thread earlier today talking about getting that stuff from Cubasis, so I will probably have another look at that soon.

@skiphunt I think I've fixed the bug, some crazy OpenGL frame buffer things happening. Very good find. :)

Thanks

ERik

• @humbletune said:
    @gonekrazy3000 At the moment no. The AUv3 protocol does support getting musical beat info from the host but at the time I tried it I came to the conclusion no host yet supports it. However, I might have been wrong because I stumbled upon a thread earlier today talking about getting that stuff from Cubasis, so I will probably have another look at that soon.

@skiphunt I think I've fixed the bug, some crazy OpenGL frame buffer things happening. Very good find. :)

Thanks

ERik

Thanks for the quick fix , and update - love this app !

• Frekking great! AU isn't just about multiple instances, it's just as much about native state saving too.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Never used it. Shuffle lost in. One of the things I value most about this estimable place is how every once in a while an app gets re-mentioned and folks share their enthusiasm which makes me think; oops, must be me, quick, go back...

Mr. Goodyear, the app is total insanity, you must check it out (for the obvious reasons).

• @TozBourne said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Mr. Goodyear, the app is total insanity, you must check it out (for the obvious reasons).

Erm. I will. Thank you, I think. Still....taking a moment....to connect....me and the obvious total insanity :)

• Anyone used this as a normal stereo delay? Delay is missing from Blamsoft effects. I own it anyway so will test out myself, but if anyone has any experience then i'd be interested to hear.

• It comes with a preset called "simple delay" which is pretty much a normal delay. You can adjust it to what you want.

• Brilliant AU this, just been playing it with DM2. The vector interface is perfect for AU as you can resize it to fill the screen. I hope that means the other humbletune apps will be converted too.

• Anyone had any performance issues when running as an AU? Using Viking Synth, Frekvens, ReSampler, F-16 Delay and Zero Reverb inside AUM, I was getting loads of digital pops and things on Frekvens.

I'm sure that it was Frekvens as I was running two effects busses, one with Frekvens and Zero Reverb and the other with ReSampler and F-16 Delay. There was only unfavourable noise coming from Frekvens bus.

There was also a lot of favourable noise coming from it too however, so I hope that it's an issue I can resolve! ;)

• @humbletune said:
    @gonekrazy3000 At the moment no. The AUv3 protocol does support getting musical beat info from the host but at the time I tried it I came to the conclusion no host yet supports it. However, I might have been wrong because I stumbled upon a thread earlier today talking about getting that stuff from Cubasis, so I will probably have another look at that soon.

Thanks

ERik

Just tested your OpenGL fix/update. Fixed. Jolly good show my good man! :)

• @skiphunt Excellent, phew, glad that was it. :)

@OscarSouth Not tried that combination of apps, will do some testing. It might be that there isn't enough cpu there to run all those apps, maybe a bigger buffer could help. Could also be that the input gain is too big maybe, but I am not sure..

@Carnbot Very good point, the state saving is a really nice thing with au. :)

Cheers

ERik

• @humbletune said:

Thanks

ERik

To be fair even ableton link would be perfect. From what I hear Rp1 delay has support for ableton link even when used as an AU. Which would mean it would link with both modstep or AUM. As long as I can get the delays running in time I wouldn't care if it was midi clock, IAA sync or ableton link. just please see if you can get it to work in time somehow please :)

• edited May 2016

Anyone had any performance issues when running as an AU? Using only Viking Synth, Frekvens, RE and Zero Reverb> @humbletune said:

@skiphunt Excellent, phew, glad that was it. :)

@OscarSouth Not tried that combination of apps, will do some testing. It might be that there isn't enough cpu there to run all those apps, maybe a bigger buffer could help. Could also be that the input gain is too big maybe, but I am not sure..

ERik

Thanks for the reply.
    Is there anything you'd like me to test personally?

I've previously run AU:FX Space and Dub (IAA) in place of Zero Reverb/Frekvens and WOW Filterbox in place of the other two Blamsoft AUs, with no performance issues. When I was getting audio issues I only had Viking synth, Fugue Machine or Thumbjam loaded (one at a time), whereas with the IAA setup I had:
    Hardware input with Crystalline
    Patterning
    Modstep
    Sector
    Samplr
    Loopy
    All this with no performance issues.
    I also noticed that there were only audio artifacts on Frekvens' channel and not on the other effects bus. When Frekvens' bus was muted but audio was being passed through it, there was no issue, and I think if it was a general performance issue then the artefacts would be on all audio. (Using an Air2). I'll try and capture some audio demonstrating. Let me know if any other specific testing is useful.

Biiigg +1 for synched delays.

Just want to add that Frekvens is one of the most fantastic apps I've ever used. A big thank you for such a wonderful creative tool!!

• @OscarSouth Cheers, I think leave it with me for now. I will run do some testing. I know one performance tweak I can do, that I have been putting off because I am lazy, but I am not sure either how much that will do. Also even though it looks quite simple, frekvens is quite cpu intensive. There are many different filters running.

@gonekrazy3000 For tempo sync I think I prefer going through the host when runnig as app extension because you are essentially not an app yourself, just a part of that app. Thinking about how to sync a delay, in itself the delay is a continouse signal, so it should already stay in sync as long as the tempos match. What could be synced is the bubble start and when a change of delay divider happens.

I will definitely have a good think about it all.

Cheers for the input. :)

ERik

• @humbletune said:
    @skiphunt Excellent, phew, glad that was it. :)

I'm afraid I noticed another problem... a new problem. I wasn't going to mention it because I was hoping someone else would this time. ;)

Here's what Frekvens does and is repeatable. I have not tried deleting and reinstalling yet, but I will.

Load Launchpad into a channel in AUM>add frekvens AU>get loop in LP going>adjust frekvens. All good.

Then, add ANY other app in a second channel>added Sector>add frekvens>Get loop going in Sector>Got to adjust frekvens... but, although you can adjust, no change takes place, the frequency values don't change, gain doesn't change, nothing changes... the sliders work, but the values don't actually change and no audible changes either.

@OscarSouth have you tried backing off the gain in Frekvens? It defaults at 100%. I've found if I back that off to about 70%, I get less crackles/pops. Or, at least it seems that way.

• @skiphunt Hmm, interesting, never seen that one either. I will have a look at that tonight. AU is fun stuff right.. :) Thanks, really appreciate the report.

ERik

• @humbletune said:
    @gonekrazy3000 For tempo sync I think I prefer going through the host when runnig as app extension because you are essentially not an app yourself, just a part of that app. Thinking about how to sync a delay, in itself the delay is a continouse signal, so it should already stay in sync as long as the tempos match. What could be synced is the bubble start and when a change of delay divider happens.

This seems odd since other AUs such as Viking and iSEM don't seem to have any problem getting the tempo when loaded in to AUM?

• @skiphunt Sorry I've not been able to recreate the sound cutting out tonight, will do some more testing.

@OscarSouth From my tests the clicking can be removed by lowering the input gain. Some apps push the sound levels to the max, which gives frekvens very little room to do its stuff. It does some compression but when the levels are too high it won't be enough. I guess 100% input gain is optimised for microphone input.

@wim I am not saying that you can't do Link or MIDI clock in an au extension, just that I think maybe conceptually you shouldn't. But as I said earlier, I will look at getting the host tempo sometime soon, it probably is possible.

Cheers

ERik