Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is it just me...?

It might just be me, but I cannot seem to get Loopy working in Audiobus (output) with any app. I was trying to duplicate the Sunrizer into Loopy YouTube video, but when I launch Loopy from Audiobus and press record, I never see the audiobus tab, and when I use the home button to switch back to Audiobus, Loopy's status is ZZz.... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Comments

• Have you the latest versions of all 3 apps?

• Yes, I have the latest of all three!

• Try a hard reset of your device before you run Audiobus.

• Yes,

I have rebooted the device (iPad 3), force closed all other apps, everything is most recent. I have also un-installed and reinstalled both Loopy and Audiobus.

Also, I have noticed that Loopy will not successfully "wake up" in any of the three Audiobus docks.

I'm a tad disappointed, as it was the Sunrizer to Loopy video that sold me on Loopy.

Thanks for your help!

• I have no such problems, admittedly with Loopy (not HD) and Sunrizer on an iPad 2.

• Well, thanks for your help Paul! Hopefully someone else will be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong!

• edited June 2013

I also have no such problems with Sunrizer -> Audiobus -> LoopyHD with iPad3/64GB, iOS6.1.3. Details of your iPad might help (i.e. model, size, iOS version, spare disk capacity, etc.). Is it only with Loopy you're having problems? Have you tried any other apps in Audiobus's output slot?

• iPad3/64GB, iOS 6.1.3 / 12 gigs free

I have also have problems getting Mixtikl to work properly in the input slot. Anything I try in the output slot other than Loopy HD works OK.

• edited June 2013

Weird. Maybe not good news (as it's unhelpful) but I was doing sunrizer to LoopyHD via audiobus yesterday without any issues. iPad3/64GB, iOS latest.

• edited June 2013

I hope this isn't another iPad 3 quirk! I don't have any problems on my 3 with Loopy, but have had a seemingly unreplicable issue with recording in Auria so I sympathise.

One observation from your opening post, @Sapereaude: you seem to be suggesting that you are pressing record inside Loopy rather than accessing it from the Audiobus side-panel in Sunrizer.

Just in case, here are the steps to record Sunrizer in Loopy using Audiobus:

1. From the main Audiobus panel, launch Sunrizer (input).
    2. From the main Audiobus panel, launch Loopy (output).
    3. The arrows on the Audiobus panel should now be flashing from left to right, indicating that the signal flow between the inputs is working.
    4. Set up Loopy to your requirements. For test recording purposes, I suggest a simple 4 bar clock length so that we get a nice 4 bar loop. Activate the metronome. (Don't hit record in Loopy, though. Don't even start the clock. We're just testing for now.)
    5. Go back to Sunrizer. Tap the Loopy icon in the Audiobus side-panel. Hit the record button that has appeared underneath it - the button should turn red - and immediately play some notes on the Sunrizer keyboard. After 4 bars, the recording should start looping.

Does that work?

• Hi Michael,

I followed your steps, but I get hung up on #2. When I add Sunrizer to Audiobus and then tap to "wake it up", it goes to Sunrizer which loads, I see the Audiobus tab appear, and then it goes back to Audiobus. When I do the same with Loopy HD - i.e. tap it to wake it up, it goes to Loopy and stays there. I do not see the Audiobus tab appear, and it doesn't go back to Audiobus on its own. When I'm manually back at the Audiobus screen, the Loopy HD is still showing "Zzz" with the "Tap to Launch" message.

Thanks!

Jamie

• You say that you don't see the AB tab in LoopyHD - that's significant. If (after force-closing all apps) you start only AB and then select LoopyHD in the Output slot, do you still not see the AB tab in LoopyHD. BTW, my AB is v.1.0.2.1 and my LoopyHD is 1.4.4. I'm also not jailbroken. BTW, you will experience the symptoms you describe if you force-close LoopyHD from the Home button after it's been launched by AB, (e.g. you won't see the AB tab).

• I'm also at Loopy HD 1.4.4, and my Audiobus is 1.0.2.1. When starting only AB and then LoopyHD in the Output slot, I never see the AB tab appear in LoopyHD. And when I use the home button and switch back to AB, the LoopyHD slot is showing Zzz.

• edited June 2013

Well, @SapereAude, I'm stumped! Everything you've written suggests you've tried from scratch (i.e. force-closing all apps and resetting your iPad) before loading only AB and LoopyHD. You've reinstalled both AB and LoopyHD. You've plenty of free disk and, from a 'clean start' you should have plenty of free RAM. You didn't indicate whether or not your iPad's jailbroken but, in all other respects, our two set-ups are the same. You need @Michael's input on this.

P.S. When you reinstalled, did you do so from back-up or by re-purchase? The latter is better (you're not re-charged, of course).

• Hey @Washboy, thanks for your help. My iPad is not jailbroken. I have received some direction from support which I will attempt after work. My issue is believed to be a cache problem, so I'm going to un-install LoopyHD, turn off the iPad for at least 30 minutes, reinstall LoopyHD and try again.

• I have a similar problem, but it's spelled differently... :P

• @SapereAude: You're very welcome. Good luck. Let us know how you get on :)

• @PaulB: Appoholism'll do that to ya! :D

• Also something that is occasionally important, which I didn't see mentioned in my brief scan here, is the order in which you start up apps. Making sure everything is closed in the background, starting audiobus first and then Loopy, could be something else to consider. Good luck.

• Well, I followed the instructions as well as other tips posted here, and I still have the same problem.

• iOS version?

• I guess the answer to your original question is 'Yes. It's just you...'.
    Sorry I couldn't help.

• Yup, just me... $8.00 poorer!

• Just chiming in - I'm currently on vacation so only half paying attention, but this is definitely something I'd like to understand. @SapereAude, if you're up for it I'd like to see some console output from your device. You can get the iPhone Configuration Utility from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1465 (or http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1466 for Windows), then plug your iDevice in via USB and record the console output while you launch Loopy from Audiobus and see it fail to connect (more details: http://osxdaily.com/2011/01/31/monitor-console-activity-on-the-iphone-and-ipad/). Then maybe email that to me at michael at audiob.us

• Thanks heaps for that @SapereAude, that was extremely helpful. It looks like your device has a problem with its keychain - you can reset it via the Reset All Settings feature in Settings, General, but that means all your apps' settings will be reset too (not just Loopy!). I don't think there's any other solution that you can take right now, but I'm gonna continue looking into this.

• @Michael: Hope you're having a great vacation. Well deserved! :D

• Thanks Michael. I'm guessing when you say Reset All Settings, you mean with the deletion of all content as well? I tried the basic reset, and I still have the issue.

• Cheers @Washboy =)

@SapereAude - Ah. I beg your pardon, you're absolutely correct; Erase All Content And Settings is the thing that'll do it, but of course that'll mean you'll need to set everything back up again too. Not very convenient, I know!

• @SapereAude, I have a better idea. Please check your email before trying the reset.