Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Infinite/Aleph Looper 1.3 update -- piano roll editing improvements

Version 1.2 should be rolling out now. The new version supports a variety of different scales for the keyboard, and you can switch between a piano layout, or equal-height pads. The scales can be transposed to different root notes, and you can toggle on or off individual notes if you want to customize the scale.

In the piano arrangement, the non-scale keys are faded out, or you can disable them entirely -- this will let you "see" where the scale notes are, and you can go outside the scale if you want, or set things so that you can't possibly hit a bum note.

Also a couple of bug fixes in this release -- tapping play on the audio files, without having a file selected, could cause a crash. And there were cases where notes could be dropped, or you'd get a stuck note, when using the internal synth engine.

Hope y'all dig it, and give me a shout if you've got questions!

Comments

• Good to hear and thanks for your efforts. Not much of a scale man myself (apart from the ones you stand on that laugh), but I know many folks here will be turned on by this latest development.

• Thank you, my developer!

list 3 and list 4 mission completed, I love it. <3

Please!

Allow midi clock in,let DAW drives the playheads

'Midi in' window should show and list the name of virtual 'midi in' apps name, and provide that name a channel

Detail notes labeling option on Keyboard

Different keyboard scales support

Metronome count-in and count-in units/number/times adjustment

Provide 6 IAA output ports for 6 individual instrument to AUM mixer

Allow AUM playhead drives Infinite Looper when seated on AUM IAA slot if any of the 6 ports is on AUM input slot

Detail latency buffer size adjustment instead of Low, Medium or High; including positive and negative milliseconds adjustment for midi timing

At present, the piano roll is good, needs a dynamic window view showing the whole picture, zoom in /out might not be best, I simply can not see the whole view to decide what notes to adjust. Should not dealing big programming task to fix zoom dynamically.

Midi notes quantization on piano roll button

list here for future update should be reasonable request, nothing so challenging for Infinite Looper.

My developer, thank you!

• Out of scale keys can be disabled. Awesome, Navichord alike.

• The keyboard is velocity based and then exported midi file to AShare.

Love the keyboard now and can play a thing well. :*

• edited May 2016

I want to say something to support the developer...

Infinite Looper app is the first piano keyboard
    supporting 'Slide Over' and 'Split View' for iOS 9 and beyond.

So you can do even by-passing internal IAA slot and using midi keyboard to AudioShare IAA audio recording. This is top notch that no other apps has done before. Even without Audiobus Remote. :p

• edited May 2016

Damn that's a good feature.

• edited May 2016

Yes, because of that Split View, two apps work together without grey out one of them. The photo has Fab Twin2 on Auria Pro.

If Auria Pro supports Split View, there is no need for It to make internal keyboard in the future.

• Here's a quick video I threw together to show the keyboard stuff (running on an iPhone 5S).

• Nice update.
    Looking fwd for x2, /2, + and - functions bigger than 1mm. Metronome could also be bigger.
    Why is every function button so crowded and squeezed in 2 tiny areas?

• @Philippe said:
    Nice update.
    Looking fwd for x2, /2, + and - functions bigger than 1mm. Metronome could also be bigger.
    Why is every function button so crowded and squeezed in 2 tiny areas?

Currently, the UI is almost identical for everything from the iPad Pro down to the iPhone 4S; they only differ where they absolutely have to. I'm focusing on adding functionality right now -- and the less time I have to spend rebuilding the UI for different devices, the more time I've got for the things I'd like to get added in. I'll probably split the iPad and iPhone UIs apart some time this summer, which will make it easier to allocate space differently.

Having the UI be "generic" is why the slide-over and split-screen stuff works. The UI is designed to be functional over all kinds of worst-case scenarios, which has resulted in it being kind of packed in, even when there's space available.

• I have really, really been enjoying Aleph Looper. My challenge to myself has been to make as many pieces as possible using only the internal soundfont bank and nothing else. So much fun!

I have one big request: please please pretty please add a triplet mode to the piano roll quantization?

• Finally convinced this might be the app for sequencing my hardware that I wanted Modstep to be. I'm hesitant to purchase with no manual to peruse beforehand, though. There's very little text information regarding the full functionality. For example - and forgive me if this is mentioned somewhere in the YouTube clips - is there an offset option for Link sync? Also, am I right in thinking it can do loops up to 64 bars?

• edited May 2016

@sleepless said:
    Finally convinced this might be the app for sequencing my hardware that I wanted Modstep to be. I'm hesitant to purchase with no manual to peruse beforehand, though. There's very little text information regarding the full functionality. For example - and forgive me if this is mentioned somewhere in the YouTube clips - is there an offset option for Link sync? Also, am I right in thinking it can do loops up to 64 bars?

hey, you can test the app for free, just download nice to be your friend synth, which if I understand correctly is now the trial for IL

edit: might be .99 now, but you can then update via bundle

• Sweet tip Nick! I've been hesitant about this cause MusicIO is really unreliable for me.

• @nick said:

@sleepless said:
    Finally convinced this might be the app for sequencing my hardware that I wanted Modstep to be. I'm hesitant to purchase with no manual to peruse beforehand, though. There's very little text information regarding the full functionality. For example - and forgive me if this is mentioned somewhere in the YouTube clips - is there an offset option for Link sync? Also, am I right in thinking it can do loops up to 64 bars?

hey, you can test the app for free, just download nice to be your friend synth, which if I understand correctly is now the trial for IL

Wow, excellent! Just trying it now and the workflow is so quick, unhindered by any needlessly fiddly menus or functions. Had a few stuck notes when using Model 15 in IAA but I'm looking forward to setting it up with my hardware. Wish more developers would offer such a clever bundle system..

• Does this work with Studiomux or only musicIO?

• @AudioGus said:
    Does this work with Studiomux or only musicIO?

I'm sure it works with both. I just posted about musicIO cause it's the same developer. I kinda feel bad about mentioning my problems though cause this is a totally different program.

• Am i doing something wrong? I select a box, hit record, hit play, play notes with the built in keyboard and nothing gets recorded. So I try to program notes. The programmed notes won't play. I can watch the cursor go over them and I hear nothing.

• @db909 said:
    Am i doing something wrong? I select a box, hit record, hit play, play notes with the built in keyboard and nothing gets recorded. So I try to program notes. The programmed notes won't play. I can watch the cursor go over them and I hear nothing.

Select the destination loop after you've got record and play toggled on -- the way I've been thinking of the work flow is that you've got the looper running continuously, and you toggle on the record, and select the destination, when you want to capture something. And.... this work flow fits in with something that's planned for an update that I can't really talk about yet.

If you've got the notes programmed in -- or recorded -- you should be able to see them in the loop. When not in record mode, tapping on a loop will enable or disable it. If the loop is dark blue, it's "off," while lighter blue is "on." Maybe you've got the loop toggled off?

• @raindro said:

@AudioGus said:

I'm sure it works with both. I just posted about musicIO cause it's the same developer. I kinda feel bad about mentioning my problems though cause this is a totally different program.

AFAIK, it should work with Studiomux. For musicIO, we're wrangling with some DAW-specific headaches; for some, things work like a champ, and for others, it's a lot of grief. We're getting support requests for DAW versions that went off the market years ago -- so there's no way to get a copy for testing, and no way to know what's broken. It's turned into a much bigger can of worms than it looked like, but we're slogging through it.

• @SecretBaseDesign I got it working. Didn't realize you had to double tap it to make it orange.

• @nick said:

@sleepless said:

Yup -- I decided to make NTBYF a "light" version for people to try things out. I've been debating dropping it to free -- but my non-scientific impression is that people who live for free apps rarely buy things, and people who buy things don't usually investigate free versions. In my dreams, Apple will offer a try-before-you-buy program, where people can test something out for a few days before deciding if they want to invest the cash. The NTBYF-for-a-buck seems like the closest I can get to that arrangement.

• @db909 said:
    @SecretBaseDesign I got it working. Didn't realize you had to double tap it to make it orange.

Should just need to single tap -- when record is on, any loop you tap once will be the recording target.

• @SecretBaseDesign said:

@db909 said:
    @SecretBaseDesign I got it working. Didn't realize you had to double tap it to make it orange.

Should just need to single tap -- when record is on, any loop you tap once will be the recording target.

If it is already selected to play. But with a blank project where all loops are darkened to start, it's two taps, one to play loop (light blue) another to target for recording (orange). I still can't get programmed notes to play. The notes are programmed, the box is light blue, the cursor is moving across and they are not playing.

• @SecretBaseDesign is it possible to record loops from another apps ui? Like playing ifretless into IL

• Sigh of relief facing (another) reasonable developer.

• @sleepless said:

Indeed, it is streamlined and far less distracting. The only trip up for you might be not being able to automate cc's as you can in ModStep. If that's not too important, or if you can live with exporting the MIDI to another app for additional tweaking once the basic song idea is laid down, it's has a great flow for composing.

• Ok I got it. I was just randomly doing stuff to test the functionality while at work and the notes I programmed in were in the absolute highest octave and were therefore inaudible on that instrument. My bad. This is why you don't test audio apps at work at lower volumes.

• @SecretBaseDesign said:

@raindro said:

@AudioGus said:

AFAIK, it should work with Studiomux. For musicIO, we're wrangling with some DAW-specific headaches; for some, things work like a champ, and for others, it's a lot of grief. We're getting support requests for DAW versions that went off the market years ago -- so there's no way to get a copy for testing, and no way to know what's broken. It's turned into a much bigger can of worms than it looked like, but we're slogging through it.

Cool, I will probably try it. Does Infinite Looper support midi clock? I would love to hit play in PC daw land and have it sync up nice. If not I suppose I could just export the midi file. Would be nice to sync it up with Patterning in Studiomux though.

• @Bootsy said:
    @SecretBaseDesign is it possible to record loops from another apps ui? Like playing ifretless into IL

If iFretless outputs MIDI, then yes. MIDI notes that come into the app can be recorded into whatever loop you have active for recording. There's also latency adjustment for the recording if you need it -- one of my apps is a guitar pitch-to-MIDI converter, and there's some latency in that -- on the MIDI page, you can toggle the compensation, so that the recorded MIDI is closer to the intended time (and quantization helps too).