Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep scene launching query

Anyone know if it's possible to set specific clips to not launch with the rest of the scene in Modstep?

It would be useful to move scenes without changing clips as tempo changes on shifts is the most convenient way I've found in an iOS performance setup to execute Link wide tempo movements on cue.

Comments

• Hi @OscarSouth, this is currently not possible. So you would like to be able to exclude Clips from being launched with the Scene they are in? I still haven't really understood what the use case would be, can you elaborate on this?

• Can you not just copy and create a new scene without that particular clip in it?
    Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

• edited May 2016

Surely the whole point of scenes is to play a group of clips! I would just create a scene with your new tempo, which contains a copy of the clip you want to keep playing at this different tempo. Then that clip is effectively being repeated as in the previous scene, just at a different tempo.

I must confess, I don't understand what the issue is! Is this a super-long clip or something?

• I'm guessing he would like to do track mutes for midi as well. So that when a scene is launched the muted tracks won't send midi.
    I must admit that could be incredibly useful for live jamming.

• edited May 2016

Being able to deactivate a clip would be very useful, as you can do in Ableton Live. sometimes you want to leave a clip where it is but not have it play.

@Nerk_ Here's another thing I'd like to see in Modstep: the ability to hide scenes. it has an equivalent in the animation world in Adobe After effects as "shy" layers and could be applied to scenes (and tracks) in Modstep.

Quite often when working on a piece i'll have several scenes set up in a sequence and then have several scenes as a work in progress or experimenting bit where I'm working things out or playing around. If you could select in the scene settings to make a scene "shy" then why you press the shy button all shy enabled scenes and tracks are hidden from view so you can focus on certain scenes and tracks. So playing back the scenes then miss all the rough bits. Very useful for workflow and especially on devices with small screens.

The difference to the Adobe application here would be that in Modstep's case shy scenes and tracks would not play and can only be played when unhidden. In AE the hidden layers still affect the project.

• @Nerk_ said:
    Hi @OscarSouth, this is currently not possible. So you would like to be able to exclude Clips from being launched with the Scene they are in? I still haven't really understood what the use case would be, can you elaborate on this?

Thanks for the reply!

Exactly, and preferably to keep any other clips that are playing on the track of the disabled clip going, but I realise that this could possibly conflict with Modstep's established workflow.

It would be useful for better management of tempo changes, being able to shift tempo and hold clips back 'in reserve', or simply to bring a scene in without firing all the cannons in one go, holding clips back for growth.

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Surely the whole point of scenes is to play a group of clips! I would just create a scene with your new tempo, which contains a copy of the clip you want to keep playing at this different tempo. Then that clip is effectively being repeated as in the previous scene, just at a different tempo.

I must confess, I don't understand what the issue is! Is this a super-long clip or something?

You can set a new tempo to each scene and using Ableton Link the tempo of every Linked app will change with Modstep. One specific example would be to keep the current clips playing and shift the tempo without affecting what's happening. Would be very useful for multi taskers in performance.

Another example is you could have some unused scenes at the bottom of the page and allocate them to midi control. If the clips wouldn't change with them, you'd have some very effective tempo shift buttons.

• edited May 2016

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'm guessing he would like to do track mutes for midi as well. So that when a scene is launched the muted tracks won't send midi.

Revisiting this thread, this is the best description of this function. Not necessarily a 'mute midi' function, but maybe as simple as a tick box for "Do not run on scene launch" in the clip's properties.

• edited August 2016

@OscarSouth said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'm guessing he would like to do track mutes for midi as well. So that when a scene is launched the muted tracks won't send midi.

Revisiting this thread, this is the best description of this function. Not necessarily a 'mute midi' function, but maybe as simple as a tick box for "Do not run on scene launch" in the clip's properties.

Is Modstep the only clip launcher that does tempo change on scene launch a la ableton live? And, has the 1/8 beat drift on Linked tempo change been fixed?

• @lukesleepwalker I'm interested to know how you can set different tempos into clips ! (you mean changing the tempo of all song right ? not just change the speed of playing of a clip)

About Link, it's pretty damn stable with my setup :)

• @crony said:
    @lukesleepwalker I'm interested to know how you can set different tempos into clips ! (you mean changing the tempo of all song right ? not just change the speed of playing of a clip)

You can set it on a whole scene change, not on individual clips.

I only had the eighth note offset happen while switching between tempo changes, never happened on it's own.

• @OscarSouth said:

@crony said:
    @lukesleepwalker I'm interested to know how you can set different tempos into clips ! (you mean changing the tempo of all song right ? not just change the speed of playing of a clip)

I only had the eighth note offset happen while switching between tempo changes, never happened on it's own.

Can you set the contents of a clip to be a MIDI CC so that you are essentially triggering actions in different Link enabled apps at the scene tempo? I'm thinking of it like a smart setlist maker.

• edited August 2016

@lukesleepwalker said:

@OscarSouth said:

@crony said:

Can you set the contents of a clip to be a MIDI CC so that you are essentially triggering actions in different Link enabled apps at the scene tempo? I'm thinking of it like a smart setlist maker.

You could build a template with various CCs of your choosing and include CC info for them into the clips in that scene (or have separate clips for these kind of changes/modulations). I use this method to make on the fly changes to apps on moving to a new scene. Very useful.

One situation I use this with specifically is in making on the fly changes to 'fine tune' dials when the instrumentalist I'm performing with changes to a differently 'not tuned to any kind of pitch whatsoever' instrument.

I've gone deeper than this in the past and had an entire set in one modstep project, with each song mapped to a different pad bank on my controller, so I don't have to touch the iPad, just move from Pad Bank A to Pad Bank B (etc.). Modstep changes everything including changing delay sync settings in order to keep delays in time across different time signatures. It's great!

I've also considered sending CCs to Patterning to move between different Patterns without changing manually, but not gotten round to programming it yet. Should be easy. As an instrumental performer my ethos is that absolutely everything than can be controlled from Modstep, should be. One button to make two dosen changes, so that I can concentrate on playing my instrument!

• @OscarSouth said:
    You could build a template with various CCs of your choosing and include CC info for them into the clips in that scene (or have separate clips for these kind of changes/modulations). I use this method to make on the fly changes to apps on moving to a new scene. Very useful.

One situation I use this with specifically is in making on the fly changes to 'fine tune' dials when the instrumentalist I'm performing with changes to a differently 'not tuned to any kind of pitch whatsoever' instrument.

I've gone deeper than this in the past and had an entire set in one modstep project, with each song mapped to a different pad bank on my controller, so I don't have to touch the iPad, just move from Pad Bank A to Pad Bank B (etc.). Modstep changes everything including changing delay sync settings in order to keep delays in time across different time signatures. It's great!

I've also considered sending CCs to Patterning to move between different Patterns without changing manually, but not gotten round to programming it yet. Should be easy. As an instrumental performer my ethos is that absolutely everything than can be controlled from Modstep, should be. One button to make two dosen changes, so that I can concentrate on playing my instrument!

I can see how to assign a PC in the clip but can't find where to include a CC. Help?

• Eh, forget it. I found the CCs. It was right in front of me but I apparently couldn't see it. The UX is not the most intuitive I've seen...

• edited September 2016

You're looking in the Template Editor yea? Create the CC and then drag it into the strips of 8 blank spaces

• @OscarSouth said:
    You're looking in the Template Editor yea? Create the CC and then drag it into the strips of 8 blank spaces

Yeah, that's the part I figured out. Is there a simple way to send the CC at a certain value? I've found the X/Y stuff and can draw in the Mod panel. But what if I just want to send CC80 at a value of 127 at the beginning of a clip?

• I just draw in a single point at the beginning of the pattern with a single touch at the left of the screen. Sometimes more than one point will get drawn, in which case I just touch them to erase them until I'm left with only one.

• edited September 2016

@lukesleepwalker said:

@OscarSouth said:

Yeah, that's the part I figured out. Is there a simple way to send the CC at a certain value? I've found the X/Y stuff and can draw in the Mod panel. But what if I just want to send CC80 at a value of 127 at the beginning of a clip?

To do that I would just set it to output max value for an instant, then at some point during the bar set it back to minimum or something, so that at the start of the clip it jumps back to 127. That last step might not be necessary though. If you just want it to send the value once, you could set it to 127 and leave it there, then set that CC on all your other clips to 0 or something. Tweak until it works right. I automate the Fine Tune dial in Viking Synth in this way to match the pitch of 'non-fine tuned' ethnic instruments.

Unfortunately, although 127 should be possible as it's at the top of the range, it's impossible to set an exact value. Real pain actually as some numbers are inaccessible (jumps from 21 to 24 to 27 etc.).

I mentioned it to the Dev team already but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt for other people to mention it. Defo needs the ability to enter an exact value for a node.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

This is exactly it! @Nerk_: Hope you'll consider it!