Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Very interesting

• edited June 2013

Exciting times! Even more exciting would be if this is opened up to 3rd party synths and effects, like VST. With track freeze, this needn't put too much strain on the processor and would give a very good working environment.

• Surprised Apple let them list a feature that's not actually implemented. Seems a little misleading to the purchaser...

• Suspect this is not using the VST interface but is an additional built in sound.

• I really don't need another synth.They should focus on automation first.Just my 2 cents...

• @crabman Absolutely agree!

I like the modular multivendor approach to making music on iOS. Not really interested in an everything included box. Synths from synth experts, dedicated effects and editors from others.

• The mention of Instrument Rack sounds to me like they may at some stage support third party plugin instruments, even if not with this release.

• @Ian looks like someone may be in for a bollockin at Steinberg HQ !

• I don't want included synths - waste of CPU. A well done audio and midi composer is what satisfies me and I wish Steinberg would focus on that. This path for Cubasis has me seriously considering changing over to an Auria and Genome track. But probably not since many have bemoaned Auria's processor piggishness so I'll save my pennies until we see how IOS 7 and inter app audio change the scene. A multi vendor modular approach is where I think we should be headed.

• "A multi vendor modular approach is where I think we should be headed."

Auria does this today. And while Auria may be a little "piggish" in it's cpu consumption, I have yet to lose all of an evening's work because of hitting the undo button. Also it may just be my limited ability, but I can't get anything else to sound remotely close to what I can get out of Auria. I record into BM2 for all of the midi goodness and then export to Auria, so I'm using two apps to accomplish what I'm after. Auria 1.10 is coming with the first implementation of midi from WML now, but I think full midi editor functionality is probably still a few releases away. Still looking forward to the clock sync.

• I agree Jack of all trades music apps are more often than not masters of none !
    I would much prefer an App to one thing really well than try to do everything and fail but in the case of cubasis it seems as though they are trying to play catch up with Auria and I don't mean in
    An audio sense,I mean business model,Auria can still generate additional revenue through plugins and Steinberg are saying WTF we invented plugins so now we are gonna implement them
    and make loads of cash OK.

• Steinberg says "The complete list will come the day of the release." So I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

• edited June 2013

Included synths equals extra code, which uses up extra memory, but if you're not running the synth routines, they don't use up CPU cycles. You do get a choice. Auria uses up more CPU cycles by default. Auria's devs have stated that they also intend to add virtual instruments, which if you wish to use them will have an additional CPU impact on top of Auria's own requirement.

BTW, BM2 is also an "everything in one box" app with an impressive list of problems of it's own, in spite of it being the darling of a number of forum members. All the DAWs have their issues, as do the various design philosophies adopted by their developers, but as far as I'm concerned, choice is choice. If it isn't complete crap with no features it's useful.

• @PaulB, absolutely agree that all of the apps have their own problems. The UI in BM2 could use some work and I'm sure others could list more, but I haven't ever lost an evening's work to it. That happened with me three different times with Cubasis before I finally deleted it (twice *after they "fixed" it). Totally agree about choices being good, but I personally choose to not get fooled by Cubasis again. What works for one person might not work for another. If it's working for others, that's a great thing. Choices can drive innovation and I'm all for that.

• Amen brother. :)

• If they "fix' the Sustain Pedal Events "feature" I would be happy as well.
    I'm still a piano player, and it's a nightmare to edit notes this way, with "sustained" notes becoming looooong notes in the Event Editor and you don't have the Sustain Pedal events... That's absolutely silly!

And without Automation it's getting dust here, I'm using Beatmaker 2 for my MIDI work. Beatmaker does everything I need and it does it very well. When I'm done, I finish my work in Auria, a serious DAW.

• I can't see how they going to release this update without Automation, which is such a most requested feature

• edited June 2013

+1000 for the Automation.I really (R.E.A.L.L.Y) would like to start ARRANGING songs asap and not just making Loops with Audiobus recordings (and arrange/finish them in auria).Automation (c'mon,at least volume automation!!)is essential to my music (to most peoples music i guess).I already own beatmaker but i love the cubasis workflow so much more...such a shame i cannot use it in another way then just record some audiobus stuff.

by the way,did anybody manage to SYNC other apps to Cubasis?I tried it with DM1 and Finger Bassline but no luck...should be easy to set it up,no?Would love to sync DM1...

• Frankly, until any of us earn a living making music on iDevices, nothing we do on them is "work", serious or otherwise.

• Having spent most of my 61 years as a pro musician, songwriter and producer, I've always been amazed at how often people think what we do is not real work. I just mean that serous work doesn't always equal money. Also I gotta say that before audiobus iOS music was mostly just fun, but since then I'm hearing some fairly serious work.

• Yea I don't necessarily agree that serious work needs to equate to money...

Frankly, @PaulB, I like your one-liners better!

...no harm meant just messing with ya

• Ok, I'll stop beating around the bush. I get irritated by the Auria snobbery, with its implication that other DAWs are not serious tools and that only Auria users can do quality 'work'. That view is rubbish. I have listened to a great deal of music produced on iDevices over the last few months and very little of the best of it was produced using Auria. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Yes, Auria is undoubtedly a great DAW with some nice features and plug-ins, but until someone uses it to produce some quality 'work' that blows everything else away, any assertions of superiority are just hot air.

• @PaulB, do you own Auria and any of its FabFilter plugins? Not assuming anything. Just asking an honest/not-loaded question.

• Yea, I didn't gather that view from your previous comment so didn't know where it was directed. I agree, and don't know how anyone could disagree, that all the top players have their own strengths and weaknesses. I don't feel that any out-DAWs the others, I tend to look at it as somewhat complimentary in the sense that each apps strengths are different than the others.

I also think, and completely understand, the hostility some have towards Cubasjs due to the "Undomywholeproject" issue. I think everyone knows and can relate to the frustration behind putting in hours on something and actually getting some content rolling only to lose everything with no chance of salvage. It's "balloon-popping" and makes you not even want to mess with it. Just my .37 cents worth...

• By the way:maybe the undo bug is solved but i recently had a cubasis crash and 2-3 fresh recorded audiobus files disappeared again...

• edited June 2013

@boone51
    a) No I don't, and I don't feel the need to. I'm happy with what I'm using.
    b) I'm not knocking Auria, I accept it's a quality toolset. I just don't like the attitude that other tools aren't 'serious' and that anyone who uses anything else is a lesser musician/producer.

• @PaulB, understood. I'm certainly not saying Auria is the only 'real' DAW out there and I hope I've never come across that way. I would just say that Auria, in my very humble opinion, provides me with the best opportunity to get the best results out of my recordings. That could absolutely be because I just don't know how to get those results out of other applications (since the FabFilter plugins make it ridiculously simple to dial in what you're looking for with their graphical interfaces - a very Hasbro approach to filters/Filters for dummies if you will). I personally don't feel that I could get the same quality out of any other DAW on iOS right now. That's just my own personal and extremely limited view point. It doesn't mean that other DAWs on iOS aren't 'serious'. It just means that I believe Auria is at the top of the class for what I'm looking for. A very subjective thing that surely changes from genre to genre/person to person.

• @boone51 I don't recall you ever making such assertions, and I completely accept when someone says that they can get their best results when using toolset X. That is an entirely reasonable statement.

• edited June 2013

I'm gonna throw in a curve ball and say Nanostudio is the most accomplished of all the Daws on IOS as it has a synth, a drum sampler, a sampler with the synth's parameters and a kind of timestretch for loops and a fairly accomplished audio editor and with Audiobus you can sample any Audiobus compatible synth and voila! you van have 16 tracks without all the hassle of the mess that is IOS midi !

And there is no issue with processor/memory or lack of Audiobus slots to boot :)

Export to Auria and your ready for some refinements....

Sorry back to your discussion ;)