Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Model 15 App Released

Comments

• Just when I was breaking away from iOS and onto that SP 3, Moog and Modstep drag me back in...incredible, and on iPhone too (where Infinite Looper just found a fast friend)

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Just when I was breaking away from iOS and onto that SP 3, Moog and Modstep drag me back in...incredible, and on iPhone too (where Infinite Looper just found a fast friend)

Ah. Hadn't even thought about IL. Of course. I must be honest and admit that all the wiring sent me back pretty sharpish to IMS-20, but I wasn't there for long....

• What about the in app purchases, what are the prices and what are exactly presets? It doesnt show in my appstore

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@jooga1972 said:
    Oh my...this is happening the same day I had to shell out like 300 $ to have the broken fuel pump of my car replaced...

Talking of value propositions. Fuel pump is essential of course, but that's TEN of these buggers... :)

I hear ya! :)

• @Rafael_laurenti said:
    I just use it all day standalone on my ipad mini 2, not a single glitch or crash, worked flawlessly

Oh happy days. So pumped for this!!

• @MoogMusicInc said:
    @crzycrs: those presets are only available with a Facebook account, it's very easy to create one and you'll immediately get the presets for free afterwards

Eww. :s
    Pass.

• @Aphex said:
    What about the in app purchases, what are the prices and what are exactly presets? It doesnt show in my appstore

The Facebook pack is free apart from the invasion of privacy (I know, I know, your own choice :)) There are three others for now, no doubt more coming:

Textural Points: $4.99 (Richard Devine)
    Sonic Mayhem: $2.99
    Psychotropic Synthesis: $2.99

Haven't bought yet, can't speak to their contents etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Aphex said:
    What about the in app purchases, what are the prices and what are exactly presets? It doesnt show in my appstore

The Facebook pack is free apart from the invasion of privacy (I know, I know, your own choice :)) There are three others for now, no doubt more coming:

Good prices in iap thanx for the info, i think cheaper than some animoog pack.

• @Aphex said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Aphex said:

Good prices in iap thanx for the info, i think cheaper than some animoog pack.

Somewhat surprised myself. No doubt the pay ones are good, but I swiped the FB ones and while a few of the percussive sounds are interesting (reminds me of Earhoof actually), I don't think anyone who doesn't want to visit the Facebook Pit is really going to be missing out so very much.

Interested if there is some way (haven't checked, maybe) for users to share presets. This would be valuable...

• yum, 64 bit only! those are pretty much the only synths I will be bothering with on iOS from here on. Tired of the thin fuzzy buzzies.

• i picked up all the in apps. they are divine.

• How many tutorial patches are people seeing? I have only two but in the sonic state viv looks like a lot more.

• The IAPs are excellent. Very different sounding with a wide spectrum of sounds made by Pro musicians with four different minds. And the sounds are just beautiful, and tweaking and saving sound is easy into your own (created Folder).

Nothing but highest praise for this gem....

@johnfromberkeley , thanks for the manual.

• pardon my sacrilege but does it have a randomizer?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:
    PURCHASED

The plan was to wait for the sale but fuelling this IOS madness is not a bad thing either. Seems like.

Next step: testing it on my new old 600w celestion PA!

Edit: Program change was a massive selling point of course.

Forgive my dull head. Program change is doing what for you/us? (Sorry, I really am that ignorant etc).

It allows for changing presets remotely via midi. In my case push of a button of a controller.

Not many IOS synths have it (isem, nlog, Magellan etc) but for me it's a huge difference. Currently I have akai mpk mini drum pads set to send PM messages and the controller really feels like a synth, in fact, as practicalities go, it is more flexible than any hardware synth as you're free to assign anything to everything.

Probably not that superuseful for studio work albeit I've never used it in a way @Carnbot suggested.

• Excellent dissection here,

• @wim said:

@MoogMusicInc said:
    @crzycrs: those presets are only available with a Facebook account, it's very easy to create one and you'll immediately get the presets for free afterwards

Eww. :s
    Pass.

Fake email. Fake Facebook. 10 mins. Done.

• I made a fake Facebook years ago and it really is handy

• edited May 2016

@Nathan said:

@wim said:
    In my twisted old-school business head, putting stuff on sale is something you do when you need to boost flagging sales.

[Edit] That said ... I'm not in due to the price point. Not because I think it's overpriced, but because I was able to talk myself out of "needing" it right now. If it was on sale I probably woulda jumped.

Yes, I'm sure you're correct about Moog strategy, and like Apple the idea of a sale does not fit with what they have calculated is possible. On the other hand, as you and I have both proven, a nice intro price would encourage more prospective purchases from those who don't necessarily need the app but could be tempted.

I know there are many apps I've bought in sale or at an intro price, then gone on to become a regular customer of the developer.

I'm still smarting at the purchase price , and I agree an intro offer would have been nice , but that's not a reflection on the app itself which is more than worth the cost. , but a reflection on my ropey finances !

Basically it's a top drawer app , and if it means I have to put a lid on my app spending for the next couple of months , then so be it lol .

I was going to buy z3ta and a couple of FX over the next couple of weeks which would have cost the same as this anyway , so would much rather have this one !

• @Nathan said:

@firejan82 said:
    @Nathan Moog sells the hardware Model 15 for 10 000$ and with less features. In my opinion it's crazy generous of them to make this app. It's practically a gift. A gift which I cannot afford right now because I would have to buy a new iPad but that's beside the point.

I would point out that another big synth company, Yamaha, are truly generous, giving away their excellent IOS synth with no strings at all. Moog are selling the Model 15 in the App Store, which by definition is not a gift.

I don't think they needed a team of devolepers to work for a year to meticulously recreate a virtual analog. I'm guessing they can just port that since it's already virtual. And that's a cheap hardware synth anyway and I'm pretty sure out of production so it's not like they are undermining the sales of their own hardware with the free app.
    I said the Model 15 was practically a gift. Not literally.

• The clips of this that I've heard sound great. I just need to cool it for a little while on the spending front. Soon enough though, waiting on a bass to sell, then a sub phatty will be entering my life, maybe this will be a nice companion.

• ok people. is there anywhere on the internet where i could find a circuitboard diagram to making a hardware midi controller for this ? or any modular for that matter ? Hell. i would actually make one even if it took me months. i LOVE this app. the main thing i cannot figure out is how you would make a midi controller that told the App or Daw cables were attached between ports A and B.

• @RustiK said:
    MOOG: Can you please fix FILTRATION orientation issues on IPAD AIR 2 and PASTE related issues?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we'll look at it for the next Filtatron update.

• @livemike said:
    How many tutorial patches are people seeing? I have only two but in the sonic state viv looks like a lot more.

Good catch! :-)
    The SonicState video showed a beta with 6 very short tutorials, we redesigned and condensed them for final release, making them much more user-friendly and accessible.

• @MoogMusicInc - First, love the app. Great job! Second, just curious, why isn't the delay module like the rest (meaning with an audio in and audio out)?

• @firejan82 said:

@Nathan said:

@firejan82 said:
    @Nathan Moog sells the hardware Model 15 for 10 000$ and with less features. In my opinion it's crazy generous of them to make this app. It's practically a gift. A gift which I cannot afford right now because I would have to buy a new iPad but that's beside the point.

I would point out that another big synth company, Yamaha, are truly generous, giving away their excellent IOS synth with no strings at all. Moog are selling the Model 15 in the App Store, which by definition is not a gift.

I don't think they needed a team of devolepers to work for a year to meticulously recreate a virtual analog. I'm guessing they can just port that since it's already virtual. And that's a cheap hardware synth anyway and I'm pretty sure out of production so it's not like they are undermining the sales of their own hardware with the free app.
    I said the Model 15 was practically a gift. Not literally.

Sounds about right.

But just because someone doesn’t know what a Model 15 is, or what might go into the making of an accurate virtual version of it, or possibly have any use for such a thing, it shouldn’t stop them from whining about it not being super cheap and on sale. :)

This is the kind of app that should make iOS musicians happy, even if they don't want it. Moog appears to be taking the platform seriously. If they were giving it away, I’d wonder if they really put enough into the making of it. It appears they’re proud of what they’ve accomplished. I’m looking forward to getting into it.

• I've been programming this all evening, and as a long time owner of a Moog 55 modular system, I'm finding that this is an incredibly close simulation.
    Plus, you can make presets!

There's a LOT to like here, and although this is more than I'm typically used to spending on apps, it's certainly worth every penny.

It seems to work better in AUM than Audiobus for me. I do get a bit of crackling occasionally on my Air1 with some poly patches, and I'm trying to run down the best way to get everything stable. Sometimes changing a setting will cause the dreaded buzzing crash.

A question for the guys at Moog...
    I've noticed that on the standalone 921 oscillator, the square waves are bipolar (go positive and negative) while on my modular they only go positive, which comes in handy for making modulated trills with the mod wheel or other controllers. Could there be a way to enable this for such a purpose?

All quibbles aside, I think that Moog really hit it out of the park with this one.

Thanks, guys!

• @MrNezumi said:
    @MoogMusicInc - First, love the app. Great job! Second, just curious, why isn't the delay module like the rest (meaning with an audio in and audio out)?

Thanks! :-)
    There were a few reasons, but main one is that a simple to use stereo delay is very high on the list of desired modules, but the Model 15 is internally mono. Designing a stereo delay that would work in all possible situations was becoming more complex than we thought it should be.

• I've been making patches all night, after the tutorial and a few explorations, it's surprisingly easy to come up with the patch you want (not far at least)

Now, I'm not finding a S&H module to add randomness in the filter, is there's a routing trick to have this effect?

• @Audiohub said:
    I've been programming this all evening, and as a long time owner of a Moog 55 modular system, I'm finding that this is an incredibly close simulation.
    Plus, you can make presets!

What a great testimonial, very happy that you're having fun with the app alongside your System 55.

@Audiohub said:
    There's a LOT to like here, and although this is more than I'm typically used to spending on apps, it's certainly worth every penny.

It seems to work better in AUM than Audiobus for me. I do get a bit of crackling occasionally on my Air1 with some poly patches, and I'm trying to run down the best way to get everything stable. Sometimes changing a setting will cause the dreaded buzzing crash.

Thanks for reporting this, the main quirk with the iPad Air 1 is that it's very restricted on memory, so when using the app together with other apps, iOS might decide on its own to terminate it. Is there a setting in particular that causes this for you?

A question for the guys at Moog...
    I've noticed that on the standalone 921 oscillator, the square waves are bipolar (go positive and negative) while on my modular they only go positive, which comes in handy for making modulated trills with the mod wheel or other controllers. Could there be a way to enable this for such a purpose?

This is a very good suggestion and we've taken note of it for a possible future improvement. An offset module would indeed be quite useful for these situations.