Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Model 15 App Released

Comments

• @bsantoro, thank you for the input. I don't care much about presets - they usually only tell more about the creativity of the synth's creators than to the power of synth itself. IPolisixx and IMS-20 has relatively uninspiring presets, yet they are among la creme de la creme of iOS synths. If Moog 15 has boring presets, I really don't care. On the other hand, if it lacks flexibility, or if the sound itself is a little dull (again, like Animoog), that's a deal breaker.

• @theconnactic said:
    Of course, @kaikoo: to each his own! To me, Animoog is underwhelming, not really my cup of tea, and Twin/One are the very best on iOS: that's why I cannot decide wether there is a real need to buy Model 15. Of course, if it sounds less like Animoog and more like the real thing (does anyone have a real Model 15 to compare?), that will be a huge plus.

To be fair. Animoog is an old app that runs on 32bit devices. The Model 15 is a 64bit only app. Comparing the two is like comparing a busted up chevvie with a Lamborghini. The sound quality is a lot better in mimicing analog feel than even desktop synth. Which surprised the heck out of me.

• Thank you for the answer, @gonekrazy3000!

• @theconnactic said:
    Of course, @kaikoo: to each his own! To me, Animoog is underwhelming, not really my cup of tea, and Twin/One are the very best on iOS: that's why I cannot decide wether there is a real need to buy Model 15. Of course, if it sounds less like Animoog and more like the real thing (does anyone have a real Model 15 to compare?), that will be a huge plus.

I don't have Auria, so can't comment on Twin/One on IOS, though I have owned them on a Mac. As 7 year old tech, on which Fabfilter themselves admit aliasing, if that is the best IOS can offer then it is perhaps a little worrying, though it may be all that can be expected.

That aside, I very much doubt that you can expect the Model 15 to sound a precise replica of the hardware. There is a reason why Aalto, or Diva and Ace, The Drop or Reaktor 6 can bring computers to their knees. Before they came along, WayoutWare's Timewarp 2600 was probably the best analog model and Gforce's Oddity 2 is also very good and less demanding, but in general it would be fair to say that Madrona Labs, U-He, NI or Cytomic are not wasting all those processor cycles for no reason when running their analog modelling algorithms.

An iPad cannot compete with that without breaking the laws of physics. Moog, despite their long history, don't have some magic processor dust that they can sprinkle on IOS devices. Anti-aliasing eats CPU and Moog will have had to compromise somewhere on this.

If that all sounds negative it is not meant to. I think the Model 15 sounds terrific, and I will enjoy many long hours/days playing with it, but I won't be doing that worrying about whether it sounds exactly like $10k's worth of hardware or not. I'll be appreciating it for what it is - an excellent and fun synth.

• @firejan82 said:
    Can I make it retrigger the envelopes? I thought connecting the trigger outputs to envelopes would do it be it seems like it is always in legato mode. I must be missing something obvious.

The keyboard has only one trigger and one control voltage. Pushing a key starts the trigger and letting it go ends the trigger. If you are holding down the first key, the trigger is "blocked" open so when the second key is pressed it doesn't affect the trigger. The note will change because the individual keys change the voltage to the OSCs but aren't affecting the trigger. A depressed key must be released to close the gate before it can be retriggered.

There are three trigger plugs next to the Pitch jacks on the Controller Output module, but they are all the same trigger. Think of them as a multiple, so you can send the same trigger to three destinations. The keyboard's trigger is hardwired to the envelopes but you can "break" this connection using the switch just above the Trunk 2 jack. Once this is turned off you manually send a trigger using a cable from the CO. This includes the Ribbon Controller's trigger which can be sent from the Ribbon Main and/or Ribbon Aux (same trigger for both).

The only way to "retrigger" would be to turn Polyphonic on, but that won't stop the release of the first envelope that was triggered. I left the Arp out of this for simpleness.

• edited May 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@nick said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Seangarland said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Hafta to say that in portrait on the new Big Boy it's something to stare at...

This is the first app that's really got me considering an iPad Pro. Some iPod the others would be nice (TC-11, Borderlands Granular), but the Model 15 seems ideal on that device.

I like the big machine. It's worth saying that after two or three days it no longer felt big. Good in one way, but in another made me think that we do adjust and maybe there wasn't such a leap forward beyond that first 'whoah' moment. However, for the apps that it makes a difference with it IS a huge difference. As mentioned elsewhere, it's actually almost comical to see Thesys and Rebirth on an iPad and be able to consider using them, neither of which are a reason to spend the money.

The bang for the buck (and I'm only addressing music here, yes graphic work is a world better as can be games, but -again- I personally couldn't justify getting a Pro for those reasons, much as I enjoy the facility etc.) is immediately in Auria and, interestingly, in Cubasis, which is suddenly (pesky zoom to one side) like a whole different, more serious, usable, object now. And then all the obvious suspects, Turnado, the FFs, Egoist (which is a dream) etc. Hmmm. Essentially it comes to me that an iPad Pro is a Sugar Bytes Enhancing Machine :)

The Model 15 is night and day and I have no doubt that other apps will come along that take advantage etc, but the 'look' while obviously front and center is still only about 20% of my pleasure/excitement. The memory in all its forms is what makes the immediate and productive difference....I'm off to Maine for a sudden two-week trip to work in the wilderness and this will be the only thing of any technological consequence I take with me....

I've got the 12.9" iPad Pro also, and, I've never go back to that tiny 9,7" iPad Air 2 again!
    The old iPad Air 2 has retired and it has lazy days now ;-)

I also like to paint with my iPad Pro 12.9", and, besides Procreate, there's a new paint app called Paintstorm Studio that I can recommend! Amazing brush engine, and if you like Photoshop you're home...

Thanks for mentioning paintstorm! Had seen it a while back and forgot the name and no amount of Googling got me back to it ...

Yeah, Paintstorm Studio is amazing!

And, believe it or not, one guy has done all three version of Paintstorm Studio (iPad, MacOSX and Windows)!

And, they are all the same, with same features on all three platforms...

The developer is russian and lives in Moscow...

If you like synths, Moogs Model 15 is da shit, and if you're into art Paintstorm Studio will blow your mind...

It really is that good, huh? I have all the usual suspects (Procreate, Art studio, sketch club and a boatload of others etc), and was thinking this might be a 12 dollar more-of-the-same, but your enthusiasm makes me think I might be underestimating it...

Paintstorm Studio, and a really good Synth app, lays alot about the interface and the behavior of the GUI...
    Paintstorms terrific brushengine (worldclass) is not the whole point here, it's the way you can make your own GUI in the app...

There are soooo many possibillities with all kind if toolwindows, shortcuts, toolwindows opacitys, Apple Pencils adjustments etc etc etc...
    In you go deep into Paintstorm Studio you certainly gets in love with!

The developer is also very quick with updates (just like Moog with Model 15)...

The key to Paintstorm on iPad lays alot also that you got an Apple Pencil...

Just try it!

• @MrNezumi Thanks, that's good to know. Many synths do retrigger in mono when legato is off but I do appreciate the Model 15 being a faithful recreation and if I play or sequence without note overlap I think I get the same result. Just needed to know that it's not me missing something, wanna have it all figured out asap.

• edited May 2016

@theconnactic said:
    @bsantoro, thank you for the input. I don't care much about presets - they usually only tell more about the creativity of the synth's creators than to the power of synth itself. IPolisixx and IMS-20 has relatively uninspiring presets, yet they are among la creme de la creme of iOS synths. If Moog 15 has boring presets, I really don't care. On the other hand, if it lacks flexibility, or if the sound itself is a little dull (again, like Animoog), that's a deal breaker.

I don't know what am talking about, just my random babble here. The main point to play a synthesizer music is to play its filters! From the name implied by 'Moog LP ladder', I should think of it must be some kind of 'cascading algorithm'. This math can be used to ping down quite accurate science prediction including stock market prices prediction. Any thing belongs to mathematically cascaded algorithm matrix, it should run for its intended purposes; which means 'fast filter ladder sweeping'. That math should be fast and efficient that the Moog hardware transistors to the now our Apple app simulation must be coded by hands of expert programming. Unfortunately, it is quite hard for normal programmer to learn this algorithm. This side alone I should immediately be a loyal Moog customer to test flight its debut. The end of result is absolutely worthy amazing. That is why majority of world musicians excited about this Moog Model 15. Cheers.

• Fabfilter Twin 2 have admittedly some aliasing in the HP filters, but less than NI Massive (which is the king of aliasing) yet Massive would already be better and more flexible than most if not all iOS synths (I don't own Model 15 to be sure).

Twin 2 is one of the best soft synths even in the Desktop ecossystem. Better than Massive for example (most reviews seem to agree with me). Of course, it's no Diva or Alchemy, and yes, those two can give even an i7 iMac a run for its money, specially with more than an instance. Conversely, there are some Twin 2 presets that can crash an iPad Air, so - using a reasoning analog to yours, no pun intended - FabFilter surely is not wasting those processor cicles for no reason.

I certainly don't expect Model 15 to sound exactly like the expensive real thing: I expect it to sound at least more like it, quality-wise, or more like Desktop synths, than like Animoog, with was fun as a toy but mediocre as a production tool, specially now when we have a hi-quality Desktop synth ported to iOS in FabFilter's!

That said, I'm inclined to buy it.

• edited May 2016

@theconnactic , after reading It I felt this from the photo....

But It is good to hear contradiction. :)

• P.S.: I was answering to @lnikj. :)

• @theconnactic said:
    P.S.: I was answering to @lnikj. :)

I agree with your reply.

I guess the thing that prompted my post, but that I stupidly didn't say, was that I think I was surprised to find a modular analog modelled synth being compared to a non-modular (albeit with masses of modulation possibilities) synth.

Anyway, my apologies. My post was completely over the top.

• edited May 2016

Well, I finally got around to buying this amazing app and I had a good laugh when I saw the space at the bottom because this is exactly how I had my own modular setup about a year ago.

• ^yes, good place to keep your patch cables :)

• @djjuniorpops said:
    @Dham could you provide a close up image please

@djjuniorpops Sure thing. I'll take one when I get home from work.

I got the idea from this video. It also shows a close-up of the controller:

https://youtu.be/0wX7NMls960

• @djjuniorpops said:

@djjuniorpops Sure!

Got the idea from this Youtube video. There is a link to the template as well: https://youtu.be/0wX7NMls960

• @djjuniorpops said:

@djjuniorpops Sure!

Got the idea from this Youtube video. There is a link to the template as well: https://youtu.be/0wX7NMls960

• Here's a video where I'm using TC-Data as a MIDI front-end for the Moog Model 15 app.

The TC-Data patch is based on the Drag Echoes patch that's included with the app. It lets you drag notes to create an echo effect. The Model 15 patch is based on the ArpGlass preset that's included in the optional Textural Points expansion pack.

Quick Demo of TC-Data with Moog Model 15 App

• Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to share with you what I'm currently working on.
    I decided to make a dedicated controller for the model 15. It's such an awesome app, I figure it would be even better with a custom controller, right?

Progress:
    Case is 90% done (need to mount the latches and add USB ports)
    Panel is 80% done (test panel shown below, need to make a few changes and finish labels)
    Electronic bits are being collected and pcb to be finalized shortly.

I welcome your feedback.

• @dichstudios said:
    Hello Everyone!

I decided to make a dedicated controller for the model 15. It's such an awesome app, I figure it would be even better with a custom controller, right?

Progress:
    Panel is 80% done (test panel shown below, need to make a few changes and finish labels)

I welcome your feedback.

Holy shit!

We want!

• @dichstudios - Sounds rather ambitious, but it looks great! How much will you be selling them for??

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@dichstudios said:
    Hello Everyone!

Progress:

I welcome your feedback.

Holy shit!

We want!

Amazing, will it be a one off Or plan to produce more?

• :) The one you see here is a "one off" for myself. I'm really enjoying the process of making this one and would be thrilled if others wanted one as well. That said, I would obviously have to remove anything that said "moog" and the logo on the back, before I would start selling them. Sorry, I have a lot of respect for the people at Moog and don't want to step on any toes.

But to the point, yes, if people want to buy one, then I'll gladly start making them.

I would most likely sell them in $650 range. It's a lot of hand work, but I think people will appreciate all that goes into it.

Pre orders will start when I finish this one off.

More specs:

• 13" x 20" x 6" case with lid
    • Using encoders and lighted push buttons for all knobs and switches so when you change presets you don't have to worry about re-adjusting pots to match.
    • internal powered USB hub on back to "hopefully" charge iPad/iPhone and allow the connection of midi keyboards.
    • 5 pin midi in/out/thru for syncing to extrernal gear

As stated earlier, it is ambitious, but my code monkey assures me that he can easily make it happen.

• @dichstudios said:
    :) The one you see here is a "one off" for myself. I'm really enjoying the process of making this one and would be thrilled if others wanted one as well. That said, I would obviously have to remove anything that said "moog" and the logo on the back, before I would start selling them. Sorry, I have a lot of respect for the people at Moog and don't want to step on any toes.

But to the point, yes, if people want to buy one, then I'll gladly start making them.

I would most likely sell them in $650 range. It's a lot of hand work, but I think people will appreciate all that goes into it.

Pre orders will start when I finish this one off.

More specs:

• Using encoders and lighted push buttons for all knobs and switches so when you change presets you don't have to worry about re-adjusting pots to match.
    • internal powered USB hub on back to "hopefully" charge iPad/iPhone and allow the connection of midi keyboards.

As stated earlier, it is ambitious, but my code monkey assures me that he can easily make it happen.

Awesome, how about selling a kit version where all the assembly is done by the buyer? :)

• Not a bad idea, I'll keep that in mind when I finish this one up.

• @dichstudios said:
    Hello Everyone!

Progress:

I welcome your feedback.

WOW, go for it I wish you all the success :) ....sounds great, how big is the box? H-W-D?

...and then what are you going to use inside? Are you designing/building a special midi controller ?
    Please show progress...

• @soundklinik

Sorry, sometimes I get a bit long winded.
    The insides will indeed be a custom made midi controller. More photos in the next couple days.

More specs:

• @dichstudios said:
    @soundklinik

Sorry, sometimes I get a bit long winded.
    The insides will indeed be a custom made midi controller. More photos in the next couple days.

More specs:

Man that's a dream controller, sorry I started to write and then went to make dinner and when I finished my post, most questions were answered...

Thank you and good luck and keep us posted :)

• Holy cannoli- ambitious project! I wish you the best with it.