Moog Model 15 App Released

18911131426

Comments

  • I've noticed something odd about the manual. In the description of the various modules, it looks like the info for the single reversible attenuator was a cut and paste for the 955 triple attenuator...
    _ 955 ATTENUATORS
    This module contains three individual attenuators, each with an IN and an OUT. Setting the Attenuation knob to 10 will allow signal to pass at full strength. Rotate the Attenuation knob to the left to attenuate the signal. NOTE: If an Attenuator is set to 0, NO SIGNAL will pass.

    TIP: The three attenuators in this module are “normalized” in a descending order. For example, the signal arriving at the IN jack of the first (top) attenuator is sent to the OUT jacks of all remaining attenuators—unless it is blocked by a signal connected to the IN jack of one of the other Attenuators.

    REVERSIBLE ATTENUATOR (CP-15B)
    This module contains three individual attenuators, each with an IN and an OUT. Setting the Attenuation knob to 10 will allow signal to pass at full strength. Rotate the Attenuation knob to the left to attenuate the signal. NOTE: If an Attenuator is set to 0, NO SIGNAL will pass.

    TIP: The three attenuators in this module are “normalized” in a descending order. For example, the signal arriving at the IN jack of the first (top) attenuator is sent to the OUT jacks of all remaining attenuators—unless it is blocked by a signal connected to the IN jack of one of the other Attenuators.

    VOLTAGE CONTROLLED REVERSING ATTENUATORS (IN EXTENSION CABINET)
    This bonus module is similar to a standard Reversible Attenuator (described above), but with the addition of a Control input jack allowing modulation of the Attenuation amount.

    TIP: By connecting audio rate signals to the Control input, interesting effects like Ring Modulation can be achieved._

    For a few moments there, I was eargerly looking for the triple reversible attenuator module I must have missed, until I realized what must have happened was just a cut-and-paste error!

    HOWEVER...
    This got me thinking that having the inputs of the single CP15B RA and the two voltage controlled RAs below it normalized together would be a GREAT idea!
    One patch cable to the top input, and you could route and adjust the others without using up your multiples, just like you can already do with the 955 attenuators!
    Interesting mod idea?

    One other thing that would be great for the 955 attenuators would be that if nothing is patched into the top input, have it connected to a virtual CV source. That way each of attenuator outs could be used as a variable CV source for adjustable offsets and other useful purposes.

  • @Audiohub

    Lots of possibilities. I kind of like the fixed module architecture, makes you look and think 'how am I going to achieve this?' :)

  • This Synth is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
    Love how it brings the iPad Air 1 to it's knees sort I speak but with just enough room to have RockbDrum Machine running. The sound is super thick and warm!! I love how only 4 voices sound like 40!!!!

    I love it!!!!! :)

  • @Audiohub said:
    I've noticed something odd about the manual. In the description of the various modules, it looks like the info for the single reversible attenuator was a cut and paste for the 955 triple attenuator...
    _ 955 ATTENUATORS
    This module contains three individual attenuators, each with an IN and an OUT. Setting the Attenuation knob to 10 will allow signal to pass at full strength. Rotate the Attenuation knob to the left to attenuate the signal. NOTE: If an Attenuator is set to 0, NO SIGNAL will pass.

    TIP: The three attenuators in this module are “normalized” in a descending order. For example, the signal arriving at the IN jack of the first (top) attenuator is sent to the OUT jacks of all remaining attenuators—unless it is blocked by a signal connected to the IN jack of one of the other Attenuators.

    REVERSIBLE ATTENUATOR (CP-15B)
    This module contains three individual attenuators, each with an IN and an OUT. Setting the Attenuation knob to 10 will allow signal to pass at full strength. Rotate the Attenuation knob to the left to attenuate the signal. NOTE: If an Attenuator is set to 0, NO SIGNAL will pass.

    TIP: The three attenuators in this module are “normalized” in a descending order. For example, the signal arriving at the IN jack of the first (top) attenuator is sent to the OUT jacks of all remaining attenuators—unless it is blocked by a signal connected to the IN jack of one of the other Attenuators.

    VOLTAGE CONTROLLED REVERSING ATTENUATORS (IN EXTENSION CABINET)
    This bonus module is similar to a standard Reversible Attenuator (described above), but with the addition of a Control input jack allowing modulation of the Attenuation amount.

    TIP: By connecting audio rate signals to the Control input, interesting effects like Ring Modulation can be achieved._

    For a few moments there, I was eargerly looking for the triple reversible attenuator module I must have missed, until I realized what must have happened was just a cut-and-paste error!

    HOWEVER...
    This got me thinking that having the inputs of the single CP15B RA and the two voltage controlled RAs below it normalized together would be a GREAT idea!
    One patch cable to the top input, and you could route and adjust the others without using up your multiples, just like you can already do with the 955 attenuators!
    Interesting mod idea?

    One other thing that would be great for the 955 attenuators would be that if nothing is patched into the top input, have it connected to a virtual CV source. That way each of attenuator outs could be used as a variable CV source for adjustable offsets and other useful purposes.

    Please 995 not 955, u change it, I will erase those here

  • Interesting catch, Kaikoo2, I missed that entirely!
    That's a copy from the manual, they'll have to fix that too.

  • I won't be buying it as I don't really need it but I think the price is perfectly reasonable. That's about 3 JD & Cokes on a night out here in Manchester...I feel the Model 15 is definitely the better value option. I know we're spoiled with cheap apps but Moog seem to have delivered a real, quality, copiously-functioned labour of love.

  • edited May 2016

    @Audiohub said:
    Interesting catch, Kaikoo2, I missed that entirely!
    That's a copy from the manual, they'll have to fix that too.

    Ok, I see! So Moog's fault!

    Because my brain knows 911 for EG, 921A/B for OSCs etc....

    ...........

    i guess it is good to have few LFOs to work at the same time at different amount to different modules, that is why given few extra attenuators or a reverse one. Without few extra, music would be too dull, even if you have strong ladder filter on it.

  • Wow. This app is now number 7 in the App Store chart (UK). That's for all categories, not just music. Guess MoogMusicInc have got everything right with this one.

    I also love how Moog worked closely with Apple on this app. Hopefully Apple will recognise the true possibilities of iOS music production. This could really push what is (still) a niche interest further towards the popular mainstream.

  • Looks great and the demos sound very good too. The price seems very fair, but I've got enough iOS synths that I've only scratched the surface of.

  • edited May 2016

    @Igneous1 said:
    Looks great and the demos sound very good too. The price seems very fair, but I've got enough iOS synths that I've only scratched the surface of.

    Ya! Tomorrow is the exam date!

    If you failing, you won't enroll to Moogy circle. o:)

  • No 4 here in Slovakia for Music category

  • edited May 2016

    @Goozoon said:
    No 4 here in Slovakia for Music category

    Ya, worldwide depression time forecasting, so short the stock markets or just short Apple Co.

    Because nobody can afford the real one!

  • Right, but.. I think i would build a midi controller of that size. Amazing app, but hate to scroll all the time to make connections or rotating knobs here and there

    Im on air1. Try this, open The Moog, chood let sat plucked arp, press hold and put a note. Start Aum..you start to hear cracks...ok. in aum open Source, interapp and when the list appears, slowly scroll the list..it cracks the same way you are moving. Didnt we have that stuff by Apple fixed some time ago?

    Another dumb Q, if i put a note on hold, how to depress it to stop it? Should i really unhold all?

  • So, I really don't need this because I too already have too many that I haven't scratched the surface on.

    And, I've learned in the last 3 months to resist the "app-launch-hype" where all you cats sound like you're jizzin' all over yourselves with the new sextoy LOL ;)

    Gonna wait until you early adopters shake this muthah out and then maybe down the road when/if it goes on-sale I might pick it up.. only because it looks and sounds cool to tinker with.

    That being said, with all the block-buster enthusiasm, I'm surprised I haven't seen many recordings from this app on Soundcloud or Youtube. Only the pre-release stuff and Moog-produced.

    I'm guessing since this Moog 15 synth app seems to be the holy grail of what many of you have dreamed about... that it would inspire some amazing recordings. Anyone got some links to some of the first recordings from users who've seen the light as the clouds part and the angels sing all glory to Moog?

  • @jooga1972 said:

    @pierre said:

    @jooga1972 said:

    Ghost apps? Could you be a bit more specific please? There might be something going on as right now I'm unable to reset the buffer in AUM. It's stuck at 256 and I get the "either the hardware does not support... or another app controlling it..." message. Ghost app?

    Edit: after rebooting the iPad I can reset the buffer again in AUM. So there must be something going on in the background and it might be related to one or more of the apps (Mod.15., Pattering, AUM) involved in the tests. Or it's my device. Or who knows.

    If you open a fx app in AUM and turn it off from AUM, it will stay active in the background and take up resources while being invisible (sometime a red bar with the name of the app signals it on the top of your screen), > ghost apps

    Press the on/off ipad button until you see the "turn off" slider on the screen, instead of turning off the ipad, long press the home button untill you come back to your home screen... kills all background activity (ghost apps)

    Oh, that explains a lot, thanks. However, I just did this, killed all possible ghost apps, reopened AUM, then Mod.15. and CPU is up to 95 %, while it's all idle. Hmm... there's not much I can do like this I guess.

    There can be a lot more going on on an iPad than you think. Clearing out ghost apps is a good thing to do regularly. But you might also want to switch off Background Refresh for any and all apps you can. Also turning off notifications where it makes sense. App store downloading updates automatically? Do you have many email accounts set up? All of those things can contribute to background cpu utilization, and may actually increase for a time after a reboot.

    I haven't had to do it for awhile, but used to need to delete and re-add my work Microsoft Exchange email account from time to time. It would get into some kind of a loop that sucked my battery dry until I set it up fresh again. That kind of thing is always possible, so turning off all the background refresh and app notifications may help stabilize things.

  • @skiphunt said:
    So, I really don't need this because I too already have too many that I haven't scratched the surface on.

    And, I've learned in the last 3 months to resist the "app-launch-hype" where all you cats sound like you're jizzin' all over yourselves with the new sextoy LOL ;)

    Gonna wait until you early adopters shake this muthah out and then maybe down the road when/if it goes on-sale I might pick it up.. only because it looks and sounds cool to tinker with.

    That being said, with all the block-buster enthusiasm, I'm surprised I haven't seen many recordings from this app on Soundcloud or Youtube. Only the pre-release stuff and Moog-produced.

    I'm guessing since this Moog 15 synth app seems to be the holy grail of what many of you have dreamed about... that it would inspire some amazing recordings. Anyone got some links to some of the first recordings from users who've seen the light as the clouds part and the angels sing all glory to Moog?

    A tad too cynical for my taste.

  • Does 4 voices mean you can only play four notes at a time? Or is it referring to oscillator voices per note? Dumb question?

  • edited May 2016

    Just figured out if you tweak a knob with one finger and want to get a really precise value, by holding another finger on the screen it slows down the speed of the knob to give greater precision :)

  • @skiphunt said:
    So, I really don't need this because I too already have too many that I haven't scratched the surface on.

    And, I've learned in the last 3 months to resist the "app-launch-hype" where all you cats sound like you're jizzin' all over yourselves with the new sextoy LOL ;)

    Gonna wait until you early adopters shake this muthah out and then maybe down the road when/if it goes on-sale I might pick it up.. only because it looks and sounds cool to tinker with.

    That being said, with all the block-buster enthusiasm, I'm surprised I haven't seen many recordings from this app on Soundcloud or Youtube. Only the pre-release stuff and Moog-produced.

    I'm guessing since this Moog 15 synth app seems to be the holy grail of what many of you have dreamed about... that it would inspire some amazing recordings. Anyone got some links to some of the first recordings from users who've seen the light as the clouds part and the angels sing all glory to Moog?

    Sarcasm, you should skipping-WitchHuntering! o:)

  • @Crabman said:

    @skiphunt said:
    So, I really don't need this because I too already have too many that I haven't scratched the surface on.

    And, I've learned in the last 3 months to resist the "app-launch-hype" where all you cats sound like you're jizzin' all over yourselves with the new sextoy LOL ;)

    Gonna wait until you early adopters shake this muthah out and then maybe down the road when/if it goes on-sale I might pick it up.. only because it looks and sounds cool to tinker with.

    That being said, with all the block-buster enthusiasm, I'm surprised I haven't seen many recordings from this app on Soundcloud or Youtube. Only the pre-release stuff and Moog-produced.

    I'm guessing since this Moog 15 synth app seems to be the holy grail of what many of you have dreamed about... that it would inspire some amazing recordings. Anyone got some links to some of the first recordings from users who've seen the light as the clouds part and the angels sing all glory to Moog?

    A tad too cynical for my taste.

    +1

    Moog make an iOS emulation of one of their hardware modular synths that they sell for $10,000. It comes with just about every possible feature, at launch, and sounds as near-as-makes-no-difference as good as the original. All for £23!

    I, for one, am enthusiastic about this one. How can you not be? As for all the recordings, it was only released yesterday!

  • @Crabman said:

    @skiphunt said:
    So, I really don't need this because I too already have too many that I haven't scratched the surface on.

    And, I've learned in the last 3 months to resist the "app-launch-hype" where all you cats sound like you're jizzin' all over yourselves with the new sextoy LOL ;)

    Gonna wait until you early adopters shake this muthah out and then maybe down the road when/if it goes on-sale I might pick it up.. only because it looks and sounds cool to tinker with.

    That being said, with all the block-buster enthusiasm, I'm surprised I haven't seen many recordings from this app on Soundcloud or Youtube. Only the pre-release stuff and Moog-produced.

    I'm guessing since this Moog 15 synth app seems to be the holy grail of what many of you have dreamed about... that it would inspire some amazing recordings. Anyone got some links to some of the first recordings from users who've seen the light as the clouds part and the angels sing all glory to Moog?

    A tad too cynical for my taste.

    Not cynical at all. It looks cool, and I'd buy if I didn't already have way too many apps that I haven't mastered yet.

    But, from what I've seen... Moog 15 makes some neat sounds. Has some cool ways to tweak, and make patches from some groovy looking 3D cables, etc.

    I listened to the recording Suzanne Ciani made and it sounds delightful. Simply looking for compositions other's have made that this app and their artistry was primarily responsible for. Tweaking knobs and plugging/unplugging virtual cables is neat-o, but I'm curious what can be made with this.

  • edited May 2016

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @Aphex said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @Aphex said:
    What about the in app purchases, what are the prices and what are exactly presets? It doesnt show in my appstore

    The Facebook pack is free apart from the invasion of privacy (I know, I know, your own choice :)) There are three others for now, no doubt more coming:

    Textural Points: $4.99 (Richard Devine)
    Sonic Mayhem: $2.99
    Psychotropic Synthesis: $2.99

    Haven't bought yet, can't speak to their contents etc.

    Good prices in iap thanx for the info, i think cheaper than some animoog pack.

    Somewhat surprised myself. No doubt the pay ones are good, but I swiped the FB ones and while a few of the percussive sounds are interesting (reminds me of Earhoof actually), I don't think anyone who doesn't want to visit the Facebook Pit is really going to be missing out so very much.

    Interested if there is some way (haven't checked, maybe) for users to share presets. This would be valuable...

    Thanx for the info :smile:
    Will be good to see a page kind of animoog.org but for share presets for model 15

  • @skiphunt said:

    @Crabman said:

    @skiphunt said:
    So, I really don't need this because I too already have too many that I haven't scratched the surface on.

    And, I've learned in the last 3 months to resist the "app-launch-hype" where all you cats sound like you're jizzin' all over yourselves with the new sextoy LOL ;)

    Gonna wait until you early adopters shake this muthah out and then maybe down the road when/if it goes on-sale I might pick it up.. only because it looks and sounds cool to tinker with.

    That being said, with all the block-buster enthusiasm, I'm surprised I haven't seen many recordings from this app on Soundcloud or Youtube. Only the pre-release stuff and Moog-produced.

    I'm guessing since this Moog 15 synth app seems to be the holy grail of what many of you have dreamed about... that it would inspire some amazing recordings. Anyone got some links to some of the first recordings from users who've seen the light as the clouds part and the angels sing all glory to Moog?

    A tad too cynical for my taste.

    Not cynical at all. It looks cool, and I'd buy if I didn't already have way too many apps that I haven't mastered yet.

    But, from what I've seen... Moog 15 makes some neat sounds. Has some cool ways to tweak, and make patches from some groovy looking 3D cables, etc.

    I listened to the recording Suzanne Ciani made and it sounds delightful. Simply looking for compositions other's have made that this app and their artistry was primarily responsible for. Tweaking knobs and plugging/unplugging virtual cables is neat-o, but I'm curious what can be made with this.

    SexMusic! If you wish

  • @Beathoven said:

    @Crabman said:

    @skiphunt said:
    So, I really don't need this because I too already have too many that I haven't scratched the surface on.

    And, I've learned in the last 3 months to resist the "app-launch-hype" where all you cats sound like you're jizzin' all over yourselves with the new sextoy LOL ;)

    Gonna wait until you early adopters shake this muthah out and then maybe down the road when/if it goes on-sale I might pick it up.. only because it looks and sounds cool to tinker with.

    That being said, with all the block-buster enthusiasm, I'm surprised I haven't seen many recordings from this app on Soundcloud or Youtube. Only the pre-release stuff and Moog-produced.

    I'm guessing since this Moog 15 synth app seems to be the holy grail of what many of you have dreamed about... that it would inspire some amazing recordings. Anyone got some links to some of the first recordings from users who've seen the light as the clouds part and the angels sing all glory to Moog?

    A tad too cynical for my taste.

    +1

    Moog make an iOS emulation of one of their hardware modular synths that they sell for $10,000. It comes with just about every possible feature, at launch, and sounds as near-as-makes-no-difference as good as the original. All for £23!

    I, for one, am enthusiastic about this one. How can you not be? As for all the recordings, it was only released yesterday!

    Sure, I've read all of that. I've heard the few demo videos from Moog, and a couple pre-release versions. Other than the Suzanne Ciani, I haven't heard anything but tweaking cool sounds.

    So they've emulated some hardware they sell for $10k. How are folks going to use this? ie. tweak a bunch of knobs until they like what they here, and record it? What makes this synth so much more exciting than all of the others out there?

    Not cynical. Not doubting. I'll likely get it eventually because it looks like fun. But, beyond that... why is this app so much more "mind-explodingly-great" compared to all the others out there? I'm NOT saying it isn't. I don't know.

    It's quite likely I don't even need something like this at all. I'm just trying to figure out why there's so much enthusiasm for this particular one. Yes, it sounds cool and looks neato... but so do a lot of others.

    Anyone made anything yet? Would love to hear how regular iOS sound users are using this. Even sample, test demo stuff is cool. Anyone?

  • @skiphunt said:

    What makes this synth so much more exciting than all of the others out there?

    The sound quality . Simple as that , it's about as close to a hardware synth as you can get , and for twenty three quid that's exceptionally cool beans

  • edited May 2016

    @carol said:

    @skiphunt said:

    What makes this synth so much more exciting than all of the others out there?

    The sound quality . Simple as that , it's about as close to a hardware synth as you can get , and for twenty three quid that's exceptionally cool beans

    Hey Carol, I've got you followed on Soundcloud. Once you get something nifty that was a direct result of the quality of this app... do you mind poppin it up on Soundcloud and droppin me a note?

    I'm resisting this one for now because there are 2-3 more I'd rather get soon, that I've already done the research and know I'll benefit from, ie. I don't have Fugue Machine yet. I'm also hoping to be traveling/backpacking/motorcycling very soon and likely won't be tinkering with IOS sound apps anyway, so there's no rush at the moment.

    Just trying to filter out the new-app-hype, and get to the gist of what this app can do and why I might want/need it, or if it would be a waste on me.

  • @skiphunt said:

    @Beathoven said:

    @Crabman said:

    @skiphunt said:
    So, I really don't need this because I too already have too many that I haven't scratched the surface on.

    And, I've learned in the last 3 months to resist the "app-launch-hype" where all you cats sound like you're jizzin' all over yourselves with the new sextoy LOL ;)

    Gonna wait until you early adopters shake this muthah out and then maybe down the road when/if it goes on-sale I might pick it up.. only because it looks and sounds cool to tinker with.

    That being said, with all the block-buster enthusiasm, I'm surprised I haven't seen many recordings from this app on Soundcloud or Youtube. Only the pre-release stuff and Moog-produced.

    I'm guessing since this Moog 15 synth app seems to be the holy grail of what many of you have dreamed about... that it would inspire some amazing recordings. Anyone got some links to some of the first recordings from users who've seen the light as the clouds part and the angels sing all glory to Moog?

    A tad too cynical for my taste.

    +1

    Moog make an iOS emulation of one of their hardware modular synths that they sell for $10,000. It comes with just about every possible feature, at launch, and sounds as near-as-makes-no-difference as good as the original. All for £23!

    I, for one, am enthusiastic about this one. How can you not be? As for all the recordings, it was only released yesterday!

    Sure, I've read all of that. I've heard the few demo videos from Moog, and a couple pre-release versions. Other than the Suzanne Ciani, I haven't heard anything but tweaking cool sounds.

    So they've emulated some hardware they sell for $10k. How are folks going to use this? ie. tweak a bunch of knobs until they like what they here, and record it? What makes this synth so much more exciting than all of the others out there?

    Not cynical. Not doubting. I'll likely get it eventually because it looks like fun. But, beyond that... why is this app so much more "mind-explodingly-great" compared to all the others out there? I'm NOT saying it isn't. I don't know.

    It's quite likely I don't even need something like this at all. I'm just trying to figure out why there's so much enthusiasm for this particular one. Yes, it sounds cool and looks neato... but so do a lot of others.

    Anyone made anything yet? Would love to hear how regular iOS sound users are using this. Even sample, test demo stuff is cool. Anyone?

    I think you're poking the bear here my friend, despite your protestations to the contrary.

    Folks who evidently know stuff have ponied up, bought an app and report that the sound etc is terrific. Folks who know nothing (self) feel likewise. You'll have to take us at our word. Or not. All good. It's not a million miles away from a fair few people telling you that Thumbjam is an absolute essential app. It is. For us. It may not be for you. Yet. But it may be best to let people have their enthusiasms (especially when they're so widespread) rather than making them feel you're on the sidelines and sealioning them, even though that may not be your intent at all.

  • edited May 2016

    @MoogMusicInc is there a way of individually deselecting held notes added to an arpeggiated pattern in error?

  • @skiphunt said:

    @carol said:

    @skiphunt said:

    What makes this synth so much more exciting than all of the others out there?

    The sound quality . Simple as that , it's about as close to a hardware synth as you can get , and for twenty three quid that's exceptionally cool beans

    Hey Carol, I've got you followed on Soundcloud. Once you get something nifty that was a direct result of the quality of this app... do you mind poppin it up on Soundcloud and droppin me a note?

    I'm resisting this one for now because there are 2-3 more I'd rather get soon, that I've already done the research and know I'll benefit from, ie. I don't have Fugue Machine yet. I'm also hoping to be traveling/backpacking/motorcycling very soon and likely won't be tinkering with IOS sound apps anyway, so there's no rush at the moment.

    Just trying to filter out the new-app-hype, and get to the gist of what this app can do and why I might want/need it, or if it would be a waste on me.

    https://open.spotify.com/user/xeroxboy/playlist/70rhUd0ccuLavmSkaBUzfn

  • @skiphunt said:

    @carol said:

    @skiphunt said:

    What makes this synth so much more exciting than all of the others out there?

    The sound quality . Simple as that , it's about as close to a hardware synth as you can get , and for twenty three quid that's exceptionally cool beans

    Hey Carol, I've got you followed on Soundcloud. Once you get something nifty that was a direct result of the quality of this app... do you mind poppin it up on Soundcloud and droppin me a note?

    I'm resisting this one for now because there are 2-3 more I'd rather get soon, that I've already done the research and know I'll benefit from, ie. I don't have Fugue Machine yet. I'm also hoping to be traveling/backpacking/motorcycling very soon and likely won't be tinkering with IOS sound apps anyway, so there's no rush at the moment.

    Just trying to filter out the new-app-hype, and get to the gist of what this app can do and why I might want/need it, or if it would be a waste on me.

    My 2 cents for you,

    You have Reverse-Skydiving logic!

    You told you doesn't have Fugue Machine, so you want it first!

    I am Fugue Machine user; in fact, if you really listen Alexandernault's music, you should really really chasing Model 15 before you have your hand on Fuguing the machine.

    What kind of music? You kidding me, if you don's know Alex's music and thought, you are really shame not by using Moog Model 15!

    I am his loyal follower! Just a hint for you.

Sign In or Register to comment.