Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IAA/AU VU Meter

Are there any IAA or AU VU meters available ? Or what apps could I add to my master bus to get an average volume reading ?

I am assuming that most meters in apps are peak level meters and not VU meters, am I correct in assuming this ? Am I correct in thinking that they are different ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Are there any IAA or AU VU meters available ? Or what apps could I add to my master bus to get an average volume reading ?

Have a look at Vectorscope or M/S Processor from 9Labs

• @AndyPlankton said:

I am assuming that most meters in apps are peak level meters and not VU meters, am I correct in assuming this ? Am I correct in thinking that they are different ?

Thanks in advance

I'm looking for an analog style VU meter as well, and I've only found this:

AudioTools by Andrew Smith
    https://appsto.re/us/vX8yt.i

$20 for the app and $3 for the VU meter as an IAP. I'll keep looking.

• @supanorton
    Bit steep for me at the moment, I only want it to be able to perform 1 particular mixing 'trick'
    Have you tried either of the suggestions from @chris_foster ? I haven't as yet because I could only see AB compatibility and I specifically want AU/IAA so I can load directly in either ModStep or AUM.

@chris_foster Do you know if these work as either AU or IAA ?

• What about MiMix app. That has VU meter. Audiobus compatible?

• @AndyPlankton said:

Thanks in advance

The main meter in AUM shows both peak and average dB levels. As you probably know already, tap the meter to select the meter source, it can be anything.

• edited May 2016

@j_liljedahl said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Thanks in advance

The main meter in AUM shows both peak and average dB levels. As you probably know already, tap the meter to select the meter source, it can be anything.

@j_liljedahl I did look at AUM meter but couldn't see how to make it show average, does it just do it and I just don't know how to read the meter properly ?

it is this 'trick'

that I am wanting to do

• @AndyPlankton

That's the trick I'm looking to do too.

• If you have Auria, micro warmer might do this? But of course it's only available within Auria.

• edited May 2016

@AndyPlankton said:

Edit: Ok I just bought the bundle @ $3.99 and indeed they both load as an IAA device! Vectorscope has larger meters and so is the best choice if you just want metering and analysis for $2.99

Vectorscope and M/S Processor both have RMS metering which is what that VU meter is displaying.

The 'M/S Processor' has the advantage of M/S processing which is a trick for getting a wide stereo field...so you get the solid middle with the Bass/Drum 'trick' and the wider sides to complement.

How to use a vectorscope

Vectorscope iOS Demo 1

Vectorscope iOS Demo 2

Vectorscope iOS Demo 3

• @supanorton said:
    @AndyPlankton

That's the trick I'm looking to do too.

Great minds think alike :)

• @chris_foster said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Edit: Ok I just bought the bundle @ $3.99 and indeed they both load as an IAA device! Vectorscope has larger meters and so is the best choice if you just want metering and analysis for $2.99

Vectorscope and M/S Processor both have RMS metering which is what that VU meter is displaying.

The 'M/S Processor' has the advantage of M/S processing which is a trick for getting a wide stereo field...so you get the solid middle with the Bass/Drum 'trick' and the wider sides to complement.

How to use a vectorscope

Vectorscope iOS Demo 1

Vectorscope iOS Demo 2

Vectorscope iOS Demo 3

Firstly thanks for looking into this, I assumed that you had the apps and that's why you suggested them, for you to go and buy them to find out was cool, cheers dude ! I hope you have a use for them yourself.

Gonna check the vids and may well invest, as M/S is something I have been thinking about but not been ready to do as I'm still at the composing/initial mixing stage of my current project :)

• Hmmmm Cannot find these apps through the UK store on the iPad, shows up in iTunes on PC, but not on the iPad itself ??

Anyone got any ideas ?

• @AndyPlankton said:

Firstly thanks for looking into this, I assumed that you had the apps and that's why you suggested them, for you to go and buy them to find out was cool, cheers dude ! I hope you have a use for them yourself.

No worries, had these on the buy list for ages, I use bx_digital VST on Reaper for comprehensive M/S processing and have two M/S condenser arrays...so this carries it through the iOS chain.

I have no idea why these apps don't show on a iOS device App Store...I use the desktop version exclusively.

• @chris_foster said:

@AndyPlankton said:

No worries, had these on the buy list for ages, I use bx_digital VST on Reaper for comprehensive M/S processing and have two M/S condenser arrays...so this carries it through the iOS chain.

I have no idea why these apps don't show on a iOS device App Store...I use the desktop version exclusively.

I guess you have them working ok, what iOS version / iPad are you running them on ?

• 4pockets Meteor DAW has VU meters built in. It is also AAI output in AUM. Still works with AudioBus too.

• Now I've said this meteor is now crashing.

• @studs1966 said:
    Now I've said this meteor is now crashing.

Lmao...always the way :)

• @dblonde said:
    If you have Auria, micro warmer might do this? But of course it's only available within Auria.

I think you're right. All controls set to zero seems to make it a "backwards UV meter".

• @AndyPlankton said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Thanks in advance

@j_liljedahl I did look at AUM meter but couldn't see how to make it show average, does it just do it and I just don't know how to read the meter properly ?

The green bar shows RMS average level, the white small indicator shows peak level. They use dBFS (full scale), so 0 dB is the maximum value of the full scale (+/- 1.0 signal amplitude in floating point)

The point with the "trick" in the video is to balance kick and bass so that the average level increases by 3dB. This is totally possible with the level meter in AUM.

By the way, the video says + 3dB means the amplitude is doubled. This is true only for uncorrelated signals. Summing two identical signals (which logically doubles the amplitude) actually results in + 6dB increase.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Thanks in advance

The green bar shows RMS average level, the white small indicator shows peak level. They use dBFS (full scale), so 0 dB is the maximum value of the full scale (+/- 1.0 signal amplitude in floating point)

The point with the "trick" in the video is to balance kick and bass so that the average level increases by 3dB. This is totally possible with the level meter in AUM.

By the way, the video says + 3dB means the amplitude is doubled. This is true only for uncorrelated signals. Summing two identical signals (which logically doubles the amplitude) actually results in + 6dB increase.

Cheers @j_liljedahl The font of all useful knowledge :)

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I guess you have them working ok, what iOS version / iPad are you running them on ?

Air1 with 9.3.1

• @j_liljedahl said:
    The green bar shows RMS average level, the white small indicator shows peak level.

Good info for the in-app help.

Didn't realize you can preserve M/S through the AUM signal chain....very nice.

• Old but interesting thread.
    Are there any VU meter apps that we can use in AUM today ? I have both tried M/S processor and Vectorscope but they fail loading in aum as IAA.

• @Bob said:
    Old but interesting thread.
    Are there any VU meter apps that we can use in AUM today ? I have both tried M/S processor and Vectorscope but they fail loading in aum as IAA.

V-Meters AUV3 from ApeSoft. I believe it comes with ApeMatrix, not standalone.

• NuRack has these available, shown in dual mode here.
    Single meters are available as well.

• And these...

(they can be split apart visually though they're part of one module.)

@CracklePot said:
    NuRack has these available, shown in dual mode here.
    Single meters are available as well.

• @wim
    Do you know if there is a way to switch peak/rms metering on the LEDs?
    (The others have the obvious switch on the meter, but not the LED)

• @CracklePot said:
    @wim
    Do you know if there is a way to switch peak/rms metering on the LEDs?
    (The others have the obvious switch on the meter, but not the LED)

I don't see any.

• @zilld2017 : thanks, but not having apesoft.
    Will try to use the aum meter to check averages....

• Do we have any cool AUv3 VU meters for iOS/iPadOS that lets use set the 0VU level?
    I love to use the free mvMeter2 in Logic...
    https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/download.html

(It's also got a nice trim pot in case the gain needs to be adjusted).

Cheers!