Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM app

I see lot about the AUM app, I have watched a few videos I looked for one by thesoundtestroom but there was not one. I feel kinda stupid, guess i'm not grasping what it really does that the other primary apps do not do, in the description they say its a mixer, which Auria does, it record which Auria does....please don't make fun of me but what does it do that the others don't ? how does it stand out above the rest for what it does? Am i overlooking something? I saw in a reply to one of my posts how crucial of an app it was so thought i would take a look at it

Comments

• It was me on that Korg Gadget post...

Just buy and try, no doubt you will surprise yourself its omni powers, particularly on recording the mix.

• It's just lighter, quicker to use, and simpler than Auria.

The only thing I can think of just now that AUM can do that Auria can't us host AU's. And it has a built in keyboard that is very handy. Other than that, Auria (and especially Auria Pro) can do a lot more than AUM, just in a more cumbersome way.

AUM is a motorcycle, and Auria is a full-size sedan. Motorcycles have definite advantages, so do luxury cars. Just different.

• Actually this video from Doug kinda opened my mind to at least one way AUM can be used - and there are many it seems! Struck me that AUM can be a bit of a playground for bringing apps together.

http://thesoundtestroom.com/aum-ivcs3-mitosynth-isem-soundscaper-bitwiz-zero-reverb-and-echo-pad/

• @wim said:
    It's just lighter, quicker to use, and simpler than Auria.

The only thing I can think of just now that AUM can do that Auria can't us host AU's. And it has a built in keyboard that is very handy. Other than that, Auria (and especially Auria Pro) can do a lot more than AUM, just in a more cumbersome way.

AUM is a motorcycle, and Auria is a full-size sedan. Motorcycles have definite advantages, so do luxury cars. Just different.

I like AUM a lot a lot, very sinuous. I would also like to be able to paste directly into it. I know, Mister J feels he needs to keep that as a USP -comparatively- for AS. I disagree, but hey, they're his apps :) I also find myself often missing a timeline/track space to lay things out or move them around in, so fun for drafts but sooner or later the files move over to Auria...

• For live use, you can layer multiple sounds easily and apply effects to each. Great for the gigging keyboard player.

• Runs on iPhone too.

• Hey, Jim. I'm sorry if this comes off dickish, but instead of starting all these threads, maybe you should pore over the forum's archives and dig into the in-depth analysis already available. Admittedly, searching topics is not the best here, but you're making these guys run over a lot of old rutted roads. A little time spent should help you finally pick the setup you need to start making music again.

• edited May 2016

Don’t use the on-site search, it is useless, it’ll basically list any results where people wrote something using words.

Refer to this post instead as a methodology (or method) for searching.

• putting this into google search ..

intitle:"AUM" site:forum.audiob.us

.. should show all threads with AUM in the title, works quite well

(was another syrupcore tip I think)

• @cabo said:
    putting this into google search ..

Can we somehow post that as a sticky note on the front page of the forum so I remember it...

• @rhcball said:

@cabo said:
    putting this into google search ..

Can we somehow post that as a sticky note on the front page of the forum so I remember it...

For the love of everything that's good in the world yes please.

• Aum , along with Audioshare is in my top 5 apps . It's priceless as s a live playing tool and recording sketch pad . Completely revolutionised the way I work . I can't imagine making music in the iPad without it now

• edited May 2016

iPAD Air 1 iOS 9.3

I 've been experimenting with running 8 synths via iconnectaudio4+ to a PC

A whole world of glitches and crashes.

I tried 8 x IAA inside AUM and 8 x AudioBus inside AUM...same result....chaos

The built in AUM keyboard will stuck note some apps and then take down a load of others, session over.

Try and go into a synth to change a patch, it glitches and takes down the whole session.

Some IAA apps are just trouble makers and bring down the rest. In a group environment like AUM, there seems to be no isolation from bad actors taking the whole show down.

The only way I've had flawless operation is to cold boot IOS, load all apps manually one by one, then go into AUM and load the 8 synth preset. Awesome sound coming into 8 tracks in Reaper....mind you, I haven't tried changing any patches mid session as yet....maybe it's best to get them learned onto a controller for patch tweaking.

So it is possible, but it seems the IAA loading scheme is seriously messed up.

Given this scenario, I'd like to see a shortcut launcher within AUM for any given session...no triggering of IAA, just linked icons to the apps, that once launched... come back to that launch screen ala AudioBus.

Or a button...'Launch all apps manually' :smile:

• I keep coming back over to loading everything in AudioBus. Every time I try leveraging IAA by loading in ModStep, AUM, Auria Pro, whatever, I spend more time sorting out settings, what needs to load in which order, and other weirdness, I start to feel like I'm working on Linux or something (not that I mind Linux ... love it). AUM has been the most stable IAA host so far, but still, it only takes one wrong app to send everything off the rail.

IAA app switching is annoying as well AUM always has the ability to switch to the apps, but half the time they don't have the IAA bar to switch back.

The best and most stable approach I've found is to load all my input apps into AudioBus. I load AUM as an input as well so it can be my AU host. If I'm using ModStep or another app for sequencing I load as an input too. Next, I add AUM as an output as well. This gives me all the input apps in AudioBus as audio inputs. FX go in AUM, either on their individual channels, the master, or any send buses I decide to create. If I want to get serious about mixing I Auria Pro for AUM in the output slot. I find this provides stability, state saving, consistent app switching, and a better working "Start All" button.

I keep wanting IAA to make sense and work well for me, but it keeps coming up short vs. the AudioBus / AUM combination.

• edited May 2016

I hope I die before Mr. Kymatica cuz I would rather not face ipad music production without his assistance.

I am going to emulate your system @wim because yeah the IAA system is almost laughably dysfunctional, maybe Apple could invest a tiny slice of their hundreds-of-billions into fixing it. Someone needs to do a guerilla confrontation on Tim Cook re: IAA like those zany 9/11 Truthers do to all the politicians.

• edited May 2016

@wim thanks for explaining this, +1

... Auria Pro as output in a seperate ab lane with Aum as input, thus bringing other ab input apps into Auria (ab source as input in an Aum channel, Auria ab2 as output; sending back from Auria via Subs for extra Aum channel inputs.)

• @rhcball said:
    I hope I die before Mr. Kymatica cuz I would rather not face ipad music production without his assistance.

I am going to emulate your system @wim because yeah the IAA system is almost laughably dysfunctional, maybe Apple could invest a tiny slice of their hundreds-of-billions into fixing it. Someone needs to do a guerilla confrontation on Tim Cook re: IAA like those zany 9/11 Truthers do to all the politicians.

Ya, see how ignorant they are; the Apple!

• Somewhat unrelated: is it possible to sync Samplr to AUM?

• @Kaikoo2 said:

@rhcball said:

Ya, see how ignorant they are; the Apple!

Yes. hundreds-of-billions of ignorant. I wish I was even half that ignorant! ;)

• edited May 2016

@rhcball said:
    Somewhat unrelated: is it possible to sync Samplr to AUM?

What kind of sync you wish to know?

Midi Clock from AUM to Samplr? Ans: No!

Samplr on IAA slot for sync start and stop? Ans: No

Because AUM does not have midi clock for apps.

• AUM is a very sophisticated mixer. It's great for bringing other apps together and routing things. It's not a standalone environment, except for fairly basic stuff. It just depends on how you want to run your workflow.

I did pick it up, as I can see it's usefulness. But to be honest, I'm concentrating on working mostly within Auria for now, because, as was stated in another thread, better to concentrate on a few things and learn them well, rather than pick up a million and one apps and learn very little about any of them.

• @rickwaugh said:
    AUM is a very sophisticated mixer. It's great for bringing other apps together and routing things. It's not a standalone environment, except for fairly basic stuff. It just depends on how you want to run your workflow.

I did pick it up, as I can see it's usefulness. But to be honest, I'm concentrating on working mostly within Auria for now, because, as was stated in another thread, better to concentrate on a few things and learn them well, rather than pick up a million and one apps and learn very little about any of them.

I have 3 in 1 hub center: 1/3 Modstep + 1/3 AUM + 1/3 Auria Pro = 1

• @Kaikoo2 said:

@rickwaugh said:
    AUM is a very sophisticated mixer. It's great for bringing other apps together and routing things. It's not a standalone environment, except for fairly basic stuff. It just depends on how you want to run your workflow.

I have 3 in 1 hub center: 1/3 Modstep + 1/3 AUM + 1/3 Auria Pro = 1

If you really want me to choose one although I have full set of Fabfilter and PSP,

I will choose Modstep simply because I am a sequencer type of folk, other things just add up the quality.

• @rhcball said:

Yes if you use Link to Midi app (free).

• @Halftone said:

@rhcball said:

Yes if you use Link to Midi app (free).

I'll try it, I was earlier persuaded by the 'don't use with apps' warning but I will charge on ahead anyway.

• It works. Was using samplr synced to Loopy via Link to Midi running inside AUM last week. Samplr will respond to Loopys stop start this way - but if you just sync Samplr to the Link tempo in AUM it will only sync tempo - not respond to stop start

• Yeah Modstep is the same, that's all I need is for the clip-type tracks in Samplr to stay in sync.

• @Halftone said:
    It works. Was using samplr synced to Loopy via Link to Midi running inside AUM last week. Samplr will respond to Loopys stop start this way - but if you just sync Samplr to the Link tempo in AUM it will only sync tempo - not respond to stop start

I use sector to sync samplr to AUM, and it works perfectly, respond to start/stop etc

• smart, use IAA internal start/stop of Sector on AUM.

• @wim said:

The best and most stable approach I've found is to load all my input apps into AudioBus. I load AUM as an input as well so it can be my AU host. If I'm using ModStep or another app for sequencing I load as an input too. Next, I add AUM as an output as well. This gives me all the input apps in AudioBus as audio inputs. FX go in AUM, either on their individual channels, the master, or any send buses I decide to create. If I want to get serious about mixing I Auria Pro for AUM in the output slot. I find this provides stability, state saving, consistent app switching, and a better working "Start All" button.

Thanks for explaining your set up. Unfortunately, I don't think I can achieve 8 hardware outputs from Audiobus.

The app switching in Audiobus is an advantage, but maybe not enough to justifying putting 8 Synths ->8 Inputs Audiobus ->8 Inputs AUM. I might see if Sidecar can facilitate better app switching.

Is IAA fundamentally broken or are Devs lacking the knowledge or motivation to implement the functionality to an acceptable standard?

I reckon Apple should reject any app that does not correctly implement IAA...it's fundamental to making IOS a Pro level music platform.