Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alternatives to Takete?

I've been playing with the LITE version of the Takete app. For those not familiar, it's sort of a custom performance, instrument, audio, visual, effects app.

It's more than a bit cryptic, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. The trouble is, it's a $50 app and I'm just playing at it. If I were a live show performance artist, I'd be all over it. But I'm just looking for something to play/mix audio, effects, and motion graphics... preferably with FX that are influenced by the audio.

I'm going to keep playing with the free LITE version and maybe if the dev ever has another good sale, I might buy it... but I can't justify that kind of cash for something I'm not using professionally.

Still, I haven't been able to find anything that does quite what Takete does yet. I know there are some OSX apps that do this sort of thing, and they're even more expensive. Besides, I wanted something that could run on an iPad.

So far, Takete is just about exactly what I'm looking for. Like I said, it's cryptic for sure... but I'm starting to get the hang of the dev's interface language and logic.

Before I get too much deeper into this app... are then any others that I should also look into... that do roughly the same sort of thing... and are priced more for a hobbiest/novice budget?

Comments

• I've been looking all over the place for an App like that (without the price tag) and could never find anything... . In Takete (lite) the audioreactive part isn't really customizable as I found (maybe I missed it-?), and this is really essential to me. We might not be right there at the moment, for iPads, who knows? Good luck, and let me know, if you find something promising. Cheers, t

• Try vidibox, import video clips, then import loops from audioshare. Then cut your video to the loop length of the audio

• Has certain restrictions, also a work in progress, you'll need Ableton Live with Max 4 Live, VIZZable - http://vizzable.zeal.co/

• Here's one I did

• Takete is awesome! Now I'ts included Ableton Link as well. I didn't found anything comparable like Takete. Well, I'ts a bit pricey but I'ts worth and I want to support the Dev and also for further features...!

• @skiphunt,

Just saw this sale discount!

Maybe a helpful alternative instead of its visualization.

Gravitarium Plus - The Best Dancing Particles Show & More by QApps LLC
    https://appsto.re/tw/cOyjA.i

• edited May 2016

I do like what Takete does and how you can blend motion images with effects also. There are some affordable audio reactive apps like Generate & Glitché that are fun, but really don't have the great audio integration and are low res.

I looked at vidibox too, but it seems fairly limited and not audio reactive from what I can see.

Can't really fault the dev of Takete for his pricing. It's a niche product for a very specific type of user. And it appears to be a potentially powerful tool for live performance. The trouble is, I'm not a performer and cold manage most of the final look and sound using Logic Pro & FCPX. It would just be more fun, immediate and tactile using an iPad. It's just that I'm only doing this stuff for fun, not professionally, so I can't justify the professional cost.

I also hope the dev gets enough users to warrant further development. For time being, I'll have to make do with alternative, lower price opitione, while keeping an eye open for another contest or great sale on it.

Will give vidibox another look too since that's more in line with my toy allowance budget. ;)

@mireko_2 I like you vidibox project. That's cool. Kind of abstract while almost being somewhat narrative too. Sweet! :)

• Vidibox doesn't have a reactive-to-audio element, and also has lower video resolution (which understandably was done so it would run on more/older ipads).

• @rhcball said:
    Vidibox doesn't have a reactive-to-audio element, and also has lower video resolution (which understandably was done so it would run on more/older ipads).

I didn't know that. I wonder the max resolution Takete supports for input/output?

I used some of my own HD clips in Takete and had a few problems. Seems fine if I stick to the visuals that the dev includes, but erratic if I'm using my own stuff. Not sure if it's my file res, or the "LITE" version of Takete, or user error.

Emailed the dev, but he finally only replied with a link to his manual and a claim that he's used several files without issue.

I'm not a paying customer, so I'm guessing he can't be bothered with it.

It's an interesting app that looks like it has the potential to do what I want. It's more expensive than I'm willing to spend, but I plan on playing with the LITE version a bit more, keeping it on my radar for a killer sale, while keeping an eye open for a less expensive alternative in the meantime.

• As it stands right now you're going to be much better off using a mac or pc to do video work, the options available with reactive shaders and such can't be done on an ipad yet. I posted this in a similar thread, but this is a very much affordable alternative to the $800 VJ software that I fawn over: https://magicmusicvisuals.com

After using that program I feel like trying to replicate it on my ipad is a waste of time, currently.

• edited May 2016

@rhcball said:
    As it stands right now you're going to be much better off using a mac or pc to do video work, the options available with reactive shaders and such can't be done on an ipad yet. I posted this in a similar thread, but this is a very much affordable alternative to the $800 VJ software that I fawn over: https://magicmusicvisuals.com

After using that program I feel like trying to replicate it on my ipad is a waste of time, currently.

That looks cool. I only skimmed over it so far. Does this focus more on 3D/canned/included graphic/motion files? Or, heavily support manipulating your own, image/video/motion files?

I may have developed a bit of tunnel vision trying to do everything on an iPad, when I have a completely capable MacBookPro to use instead.

• @skiphunt I use it for manipulating stuff I make on the ipad, animations and such, and mix those with different audio-reactive shaders (and obviously using ipad-created music as the soundtrack). If you know how to code GLSL type stuff then u can really go to town, but for right now there's hundreds of free ones online. It's the best solution I've found for $40 (it's $70 for the enhanced version but that only really benefits live performers, for video exports the regular version is enough). Here's some examples of stuff I've done with it, in the first few weeks:

I'm the same way tho with wanting to do everything on my ipad, I would prefer to remain on my back on a couch rather than sitting at a desk.

• @rhcball said:
    As it stands right now you're going to be much better off using a mac or pc to do video work, the options available with reactive shaders and such can't be done on an ipad yet. I posted this in a similar thread, but this is a very much affordable alternative to the $800 VJ software that I fawn over: https://magicmusicvisuals.com

Thanks for posting about this, I didn't know Magic. Will try it out, very interesting...!

• edited May 2016

@rhcball those are both really cool and inline with the kind of manipulation I want to do as well. I'm going to try out the demo. Looks like the audio reactivity is fairly sophisticated.

That audio reactive playback speed of video is pretty awesome too.

Do you know if Magic supports 4K video input and/or output?

Also, I just spent more time with Takete. At first it was looking like the fx weren't really audio reactive, but indeed they are. You just have to set the audio trigger macros.

All in all, it's looking like the on the iPad, for this kind of stuff, it's in a class by itself. I can't justify the price for my personal non-performance needs, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for a killer sale.

Have you spent much time with the LITE version of Takete?

• I bought Takete when it was half off the original price of $80, I used it up until I discovered that Magic program. I will probably go back to it but it doesn't really fit into my flow right now since I have to go to the desktop to really accomplish anything more than a 20-second thing posted to twitter.

Magic has a whole math section where you can adjust the reactivity, I barely understand it but just fumbling around you can do some cool stuff. Plus there's multiple sources for the reaction: volume, specific frequency ranges, tone and pitch. I'd like to learn shader programming to really make it my own but that seems an exhausting prospect, especially since video production itself is already a huge undertaking to get more than 30 seconds of material.

But anyone who tries Magic, go here and download the expansion pack for the shader module, it gives you hundreds of new designs to work with. https://magicmusicvisuals.com/resources

• edited May 2016

@rhcball said:
    I bought Takete when it was half off the original price of $80, I used it up until I discovered that Magic program. I will probably go back to it but it doesn't really fit into my flow right now since I have to go to the desktop to really accomplish anything more than a 20-second thing posted to twitter.

Magic has a whole math section where you can adjust the reactivity, I barely understand it but just fumbling around you can do some cool stuff. Plus there's multiple sources for the reaction: volume, specific frequency ranges, tone and pitch. I'd like to learn shader programming to really make it my own but that seems an exhausting prospect, especially since video production itself is already a huge undertaking to get more than 30 seconds of material.

But anyone who tries Magic, go here and download the expansion pack for the shader module, it gives you hundreds of new designs to work with. https://magicmusicvisuals.com/resources

Hmmmm.... the more I play with Takete, the more I'm falling in love with it... until I get abruptly taken out of my groove as the 10 min LITE trial session comes to an end ;)

But, you've got me looking seriously at this Magic program instead. Is it stable with regular dev maintenance updates?

And can you do quite a bit without any programming, or diving into the extensive math section?

Also... I'm wondering if there's something built into Apple's Motion software that does this too. I have it but haven't used it in ages. Or, maybe there's a plugin for it. Better make I don't already have tools for the job that I'm simply not aware of.

• I'm not a mac user so I dunno about the last bit, kinda wish I was cuz there's some cool VJ stuff on mac. Magic is totally useable though, just had an update in March, the devs are active on their forum, without programming you can do a lot. I just want everything in my work to be created by me or else it feels a little cheat-ish, thus I need to learn a hundred different skills (but won't, because I'm lazy).

For sure though, Takete is really cool and I'd recommend buying it just to support this somewhat neglected category of ipad apps. At the very least it's a portable workspace to produce video when you're not at a desktop, like if u need to quickly do a music video featuring dancing penises so u can tweet it to donald trump.

• please explain what audio reactive playback is to me so that I might know what it is that I do not know?

• @kobamoto said:
    please explain what audio reactive playback is to me so that I might know what it is that I do not know?

I'm probably not using the right terminology but I mean the ability to have animation or other visual material react to changes in the music, like a pulsing circle that gets wider as the music gets louder, and stuff like that.

• @rhcball said:
    I'm not a mac user so I dunno about the last bit, kinda wish I was cuz there's some cool VJ stuff on mac. Magic is totally useable though, just had an update in March, the devs are active on their forum, without programming you can do a lot. I just want everything in my work to be created by me or else it feels a little cheat-ish, thus I need to learn a hundred different skills (but won't, because I'm lazy).

For sure though, Takete is really cool and I'd recommend buying it just to support this somewhat neglected category of ipad apps. At the very least it's a portable workspace to produce video when you're not at a desktop, like if u need to quickly do a music video featuring dancing penises so u can tweet it to donald trump.

LOL... I'm keeping my eye on Takete for now... $50 is a bit steep for my use.. but it looks like a sweet deal if you're a performance artist.

Thanks for the Magic tips though... going to give the demo a spin at least.

• @kobamoto said:
    please explain what audio reactive playback is to me so that I might know what it is that I do not know?

• thanks guys, I appreciate it.

• edited May 2016

For those following along... you CAN actually do audio reactive fx/animation in Apple's Motion app.

All you do is add your graphic, video, or particle generator... import in your audio clip... then select the behavior you want to change or effect... (like the scaling) Then add a Parameter behavior from the list. Audio is is the first parameter behavior... then tell it which audio clip in your project you want to use... then you can change it to be effected by "All Frequencies", or specify Bass, Mids, or Treble. You can set it to respond to Amplitude or Transients, and also dial in the specific high/low frequency envelope to effect the behavior.

So, the specific audio reactive stuff is definitely doable with what I already have. :)

• Magic Music Visuals is $40 for one computer, $70 for a second computer. You can use the demo but a watermark appears after 30 days.

• @philowerx said:
    Magic Music Visuals is $40 for one computer, $70 for a second computer. You can use the demo but a watermark appears after 30 days.

I played around with the demo a little bit. It's ok, but I think what I really want is either Takete or something closer to that and less node-based. thx :)