Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg gadget

As I have bee adding up all the costs of all the apps that I have lost, the price tag is high. How good is korg gadget? Is a all in one solution?

Comments

• edited April 2016

Are you a music producer? I doubt much you don't know about Gadget! It seems I am producing info to you!

If you can read english!

http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget/

Cheers

• How did you loose your apps? If you got them on your account they aren't lost regardless of your hardware
    As for gadget it's ok I find it lacks good effects to make it good

• Apple locked my ID permentley because I asked for too many refunds, so I lost couple hundred dollars worth of apps and they are refusing to refund them to me and they told me my only option is to create a new I'd and repurchase my apps so I'm looking at taking the best route to take yes I'm a producers but I recently migrated from a pic so just looking for the best ion, so recceomenationsvare appreciated

• Kinda fell off at the end! Gadget is incredible for what it is, start or add something in gadget the bounce it to another app and continue! There is no perfect app or program just use each for what the are good at! Gadget is a great starting point!

• edited April 2016

Well, I know your story already. Be good to you as you are pro, I think you only need Auria with all plugins, Modstep and AUM. The rest is your work!

You can not work with pro quality without Auria Pro!
    You can not work with pro speed without Modstep!
    You can not work with pro flexibility without AUM!

Gadget is not for you as a producer, imo! then you need hardware filters to hide your using of iPad. Because they think you are cheap! Unless you are talented. You need couple of thousand dollars (not hundreads) to produce great startup! Unless you are me alike, an amateur.

Btw, if need iPad randomizer, go midiSteps.then read my iElectribe tutorial and rest of tut.

End.
    Good luck

• Cool, that would be the perfect addition, as I already use beat hawk, patterning, Arctic keys, Poseidon and nave

• It takes a lot of time with apps that are available to really know what they’re capable of and if they work for you personally. There’s so much I don’t know. Lots of people love Gadget. I like that’s it’s very quick to learn, is designed to work solid, to look and feel good, and you can make full music arrangements with it without leaving the app. I wouldn’t want to be without it, but I also like other alternatives too. There seem to be countless possible workflows with an iPad. I haven’t settled on anything.

• I just bought Abu dabi today, a korg gadget and all i have are regrets.For that price i could have Beathawk or Impc pro.Not that gadget is bad but Bilbao and abu Dabi dont Worth 20 euros.

• Gadget is some kind of mind control device that subliminally persuades you to make the music that Gadget wants, not what you yourself may desire. Its all so smooth and accessible because Gadget needs an immense supply of artistic convention to keep itself alive.

I deleted it and I'm never going back in there.

• @rhcball said:
    Gadget is some kind of mind control device that subliminally persuades you to make the music that Gadget wants, not what you yourself may desire.

I know what you mean. It's fun and quick and easy. But....nothing I write on it sounds like me. I personally only use it for ideas and inspiration. Then I take those ideas to my piano.
    But I completely understand why people love it.

• I for one welcome our Gadget overlords. Bleep.

• It certainly means you have lots of clean 8 or 16 bar sections unless you work hard to add in those 'fuzzy edges' at the start and ends of sections.

Its a bit of a faff to put samples in, so it tends to favour synth music. And it's really designed for electronic music, certainly.

But other than that - I think it will mostly do what you want it to do.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I for one welcome our Gadget overlords. Bleep.

Me too. Gadget has lots of scope, especially if you've added Module & iM1.

• Yeah if you venture into the weeds a bit there are features of gadget that will definitely not lead to the next dance hit. For example per scene time sig changes :)

• Interesting. Tempted to have a stab at something sloppy and rough sounding entirely within The Big G. I so wish (yes, yes audio files), that the sample length could at least be increased to, say, 30 seconds...

• Hello BUY GADGET it is a great app.
    solid sequencer'
    Lots of sounds'
    lots of drums
    buy Bilboa and Abudabi and module too if you can

Buy Auria and all the Fabfilter plugins
    those tw plus the apps you already own and you will have a killer set up

For glitch effects buy apps like Effectrix, Samplr, Sector
    check out the thesoundtestroom.com for demos of apps you are interested in.

I hope this helps.

• @rhcball said:
    Gadget is some kind of mind control device that subliminally persuades you to make the music that Gadget wants, not what you yourself may desire. Its all so smooth and accessible because Gadget needs an immense supply of artistic convention to keep itself alive.

I disagree about your statement that Gadet persuades you to make music that Gadget wants...

• How to import samples into Korg Gadget -Eric from Retronyms

• @Halftone said:

@rhcball said:
    Gadget is some kind of mind control device that subliminally persuades you to make the music that Gadget wants, not what you yourself may desire. Its all so smooth and accessible because Gadget needs an immense supply of artistic convention to keep itself alive.

I disagree about your statement that Gadet persuades you to make music that Gadget wants...

I only ever speak for myself but I imagine (for fun?) that anything I 'know' also applies to a broad swath of nameless other persons. it mskes statements seem more, uhm, weighty maybe.

I get the same thing with Gadget that I get with apps like iMaschine and Beathawk, it's something like, everything is so quick and handy and accessible, that it coaxes me into taking the easy way, more conventional-like, if that makes sense. Whereas when I am at my desktop DAW, I am a lot less quick in certain ways that keep me from sliding right into some vaguely conventional-type not-weird-enough sound. I tried to maximize my weirder attributes in Gadget, but after a few months things like the grain slice effect and that 'wobble' synth were no longer exotic or novel, it became sort of formulaic (for me). You can import your own samples to try and overcome that but i quickly tire of living thru five/ten second intervals (as per the sampler limitations).

It's all very painful though because the only people who listened to my music were on gadget cloud and now i'm back to sing-songing the endless void, etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Interesting. Tempted to have a stab at something sloppy and rough sounding entirely within The Big G. I so wish (yes, yes audio files), that the sample length could at least be increased to, say, 30 seconds...

I'd be interested to hear that.

• I just recently got hooked on gadget after having it on my phone unused for months. I think it's damn near perfect. The perfect blend of things included and things left out. I always turn off quantize and stay the hell away from the piano roll, playing patterns in live. The only thing i don't like is that the chord mode has terrible voice leading. Which is surprising given that the chords in ikaossilator, whose workflow clearly inspired gadget, are spot on. It would be awesome if the chord mode had like 8 different voicing settings to choose from, not labeled anything other than 1,2,3, etc, where the chords were voiced with the top note being the key pressed and smooth voice leading.

• @db909 said:
    I just recently got hooked on gadget after having it on my phone unused for months. I think it's damn near perfect. The perfect blend of things included and things left out. I always turn off quantize and stay the hell away from the piano roll, playing patterns in live. The only thing i don't like is that the chord mode has terrible voice leading. Which is surprising given that the chords in ikaossilator, whose workflow clearly inspired gadget, are spot on. It would be awesome if the chord mode had like 8 different voicing settings to choose from, not labeled anything other than 1,2,3, etc, where the chords were voiced with the top note being the key pressed and smooth voice leading.

Can you elaborate for someone not great on music theory?

Too many notes in the chords Gadget gives you? I notice there's 4 notes, but they aren't major / minor 7 I don't think. I think they are triads with an extra octave thrown in or something(?).

• It will always be the case that if a particular software makes certain things easy, then more of that will be produced with it. But that is not to say that is the only thing you can do with it, and indeed the best results can often come from using software tools in unexpected ways. As true with Gadget as any.

• Gadget was my gateway app. It's easy and seamless, but its hermetic environment will ultimately lead me to abandon it. It reminds me of the early days of the Web: Gadget is roughly equivalent to AOL. It is a beautifully structured environment that is apparently self-contained. But it is not the Internet.

Similarly, as I have wanted to branch away from the limits of Gadget, I have found myself paralyzed by options. It is true that the songs I made in Gadget were crazy and nothing like what I listen to — but the app really inspired creativity. I need to create the workflow that will allow me to use the sounds I want. (Seriously, Miami?) Part of me wishes Gadget had audio tracks and that Abu and Bilbao were not so limited.

But now? Samplr? AUM? ISEM? Impaktor? Audiobus? Cubasis? Auria? Patterning? Loopy? Thumbjam? Blocs Wave? Synthmaster. I would pay good money to have somebody come up with a workflow for me.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@db909 said:
    I just recently got hooked on gadget after having it on my phone unused for months. I think it's damn near perfect. The perfect blend of things included and things left out. I always turn off quantize and stay the hell away from the piano roll, playing patterns in live. The only thing i don't like is that the chord mode has terrible voice leading. Which is surprising given that the chords in ikaossilator, whose workflow clearly inspired gadget, are spot on. It would be awesome if the chord mode had like 8 different voicing settings to choose from, not labeled anything other than 1,2,3, etc, where the chords were voiced with the top note being the key pressed and smooth voice leading.

Can you elaborate for someone not great on music theory?

Too many notes in the chords Gadget gives you? I notice there's 4 notes, but they aren't major / minor 7 I don't think. I think they are triads with an extra octave thrown in or something(?).

I looked at it again and it's not as bad as I thought. When you bring up a new gadget, the scale defaults to 5 notes so that was throwing me off. It is just triads with an extra octave, I just wish the extra octave was below rather than above

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Samplr? AUM? ISEM? Impaktor? Audiobus? Cubasis? Auria? Patterning? Loopy? Thumbjam? Blocs Wave? Synthmaster?

Yes.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Samplr? AUM? ISEM? Impaktor? Audiobus? Cubasis? Auria? Patterning? Loopy? Thumbjam? Blocs Wave? Synthmaster?

Yes.

Haha, well, yes. Buying them was easy enough. Want to tell me how to arrange all these to make a sound I like and can listen to later?
    I'm really baffled by midi. Ex-bass player who made records in the grunge days, and ... well, I'm looking at a cool sequence in Nanolog. And it's like reinventing the wheel to record this chord progression. I try connecting to Cubasis...but...no sound? Where's the background sound switch? Each program has its own quirks....
    I do love the ease in Gadget: Idea; play; record; edit. But then it just dies there....

• I've also suffered from the Gadget mind control effect. One thing that's worked for me is having an idea of what I want to do ahead of time to keep me on track rather than just turning it on and fooling around (which is what I like to do with other apps).

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Yes.

Haha, well, yes. Buying them was easy enough. Want to tell me how to arrange all these to make a sound I like and can listen to later?
    I'm really baffled by midi. Ex-bass player who made records in the grunge days, and ... well, I'm looking at a cool sequence in Nanolog. And it's like reinventing the wheel to record this chord progression. I try connecting to Cubasis...but...no sound? Where's the background sound switch? Each program has its own quirks....
    I do love the ease in Gadget: Idea; play; record; edit. But then it just dies there....

Sounds like you need a place to put it/build it/make it. I would suggest Auria Pro, but that's just me, and as you know there are endless discussions hereabouts on these matters. In the end we're all trying to find our spot (and that's often different of course).

• edited May 2016

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Gadget was my gateway app. It's easy and seamless, but its hermetic environment will ultimately lead me to abandon it. It reminds me of the early days of the Web: Gadget is roughly equivalent to AOL. It is a beautifully structured environment that is apparently self-contained. But it is not the Internet.

Similarly, as I have wanted to branch away from the limits of Gadget, I have found myself paralyzed by options. It is true that the songs I made in Gadget were crazy and nothing like what I listen to — but the app really inspired creativity. I need to create the workflow that will allow me to use the sounds I want. (Seriously, Miami?) Part of me wishes Gadget had audio tracks and that Abu and Bilbao were not so limited.

But now? Samplr? AUM? ISEM? Impaktor? Audiobus? Cubasis? Auria? Patterning? Loopy? Thumbjam? Blocs Wave? Synthmaster. I would pay good money to have somebody come up with a workflow for me.

Ya, Gadget is so pissed me off on the earlier days without good midi communication with other apps. Now things changing, still way to go on Gadget midi out and IAA instrument generator.

I am by your side. However, my recent discovery of Modstep and AUM, those will bring my future days on them! Gadget will just become few instrument tools on them only.