Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone using Noatikl and/or Mixtikl ?

Noatikl has caught my eye , but I've not heard or seen much about it , and I see the dev has a similar app Mixtikl .

Anyone using them ? Noatikl looks like a more powerful , but random , Fugue Machine and I'm guessing you can assign other synth apps via MIDI per track . Mixtikl sounds very similar , so any feedback welcome as I'm a bit confused lol !

Comments

• I am using Noatikl.

IOS version lacks midi file export and scripting, I got version 3 for iOS after 2 disappeared (but Mac version became just too expensive and no upgrade options for existing users and no useful improvements to justify the expense) Mac version 2 cannot open the files of current iOS version.
    Intermorphic becomes more and more expensive and their line-up became even more esoteric after versions 3 came out. It has always been a big mess, with IAPs and all.

The iOS version of Noatikl has midi out enabled now without IAP.

Noatikl is interesting but, overall, intermorphic apps are highly inaccessible and the community is not very active.

• edited April 2016

@neinneinnein said:
    I am using Noatikl.

IOS version lacks midi file export and scripting, I got version 3 for iOS after 2 disappeared (but Mac version became just too expensive and no upgrade options for existing users and no useful improvements to justify the expense) Mac version 2 cannot open the files of current iOS version.
    Intermorphic becomes more and more expensive and their line-up became even more esoteric after versions 3 came out. It has always been a big mess, with IAPs and all.

The iOS version of Noatikl has midi out enabled now without IAP.

Noatikl is interesting but, overall, intermorphic apps are highly inaccessible and the community is not very active.

Thanks for the feedback :)) I just watched Tim Webbs video complaining about the IAP's in the last version of Mixtikl , so its good they've removed these from their apps . Are there any IAP's at all now in Noatikl ?

I'd like to use it to trigger other MIDI aps on each track ( e.g. Cyclop for the bass part , Thor for the pads etc. ) - is this possible ? If so I'd then route them trhough aum channels for recording , as I do with Fugue Machine

I presume its pretty straignforward to record the built in synth output - either via an internal recorder or via IAA or Audiobus

• I have them both and have looked at them in some depth, but that was quite some time ago. I think Noatikl is really unique and powerful, I intend to do a generative ambient project using it primarily.
    My intention is to use good quality Sound Fonts (such as Digital Sound Factory's EMU vintage pro) as the sound sources and record the output in Audioshare and then probably bring them together on the desktop.

Yes, it's pretty cryptic, but I've seen worse ! I tried the windows desktop demos and I prefer the iOS versions.

• @Igneous1 said:
    I have them both and have looked at them in some depth, but that was quite some time ago. I think Noatikl is really unique and powerful, I intend to do a generative ambient project using it primarily.
    My intention is to use good quality Sound Fonts (such as Digital Sound Factory's EMU vintage pro) as the sound sources and record the output in Audioshare and then probably bring them together on the desktop.

Yes, it's pretty cryptic, but I've seen worse ! I tried the windows desktop demos and I prefer the iOS versions.

Thanks @Igneous1 :)) sounds promising ! I'd be using it with the built in synth but mostly other synth apps . I'd build soundscapes with apps like Mitosynth so hopefully hooking up apps via MIDI is as straightforward as Fugue Machine

• Yes, the midi output for controlling synth apps works well, it also has midi clock output.

• I love the idea of the apps (I have all the Intermorphic apps) and they have been quite nice once or twice to get me out of a creative stand-still, mainly by twiddling/tweaking stuff without having a clue what it will actually do, but creating pleasing enough sounds that I could keep working on.

I am not too keen on their "here's a new version, with some few additional things added, please pay up full again", however no one forced me to buy the new bundle after the old bundle was...umm...old, and I was thinking these apps are different enough to warrant some encouragement for the devs (Intermorphic, which is two guys or something) that I bought them all again anyways. As I say, no one forced me to, and I have no regrets, I'm just not that keen on that tactic (though I understand it).

I have been contemplating for some time to do an experiment, but as I fail to put it into action I'll just voice it here, and perhaps someone else likes the idea and picks it up and does something with it:

Imagine you have the following assets:

• A few images that mean something to you.
    • You write a text that means something to you, preferably in relation to the images.
    • A video clip that means something to you, preferably in relation to the images and the text.
    • Some audio (field) recordings that were taken at the same time as the images and/or the video.

That'd mean you have still/moving images, audio and text that are all related somehow (you see fit).

You then create a song with the Intermorphic apps: you write the text in Liptikl (or if you are like me, possibly start in Creative Writer or Roller Journal). Load that text into Wotja to get some music out, which you mix with your field recordings. Load your images into Virtual Ans or SunVox to get audio out that you mix with the rest. Create a spoken lyric/voice with iSpeech that you can add to parts, based on your text. Turn some of those audio clips into midi that you load into whatever app you'd like. Load some of your audio clips into MixTikl/NoaTikl and let them do their thing and generate random parts based on non-random sounds. Bring it all together. Visualize with video. A fully conceptual song from one moment using all the input senses as the source, and giving back something new to all of them.

In general, doing a song from one moment, but doing a whole lot with it. In that scenario I am thinking the Intermorphic apps would be awesome additions. But that's me. And I haven't done it yet myself. :)

• @neinneinnein said:
    Yes, the midi output for controlling synth apps works well, it also has midi clock output.

Great thanks !!!

• @hellquist said:
    I love the idea of the apps (I have all the Intermorphic apps) and they have been quite nice once or twice to get me out of a creative stand-still, mainly by twiddling/tweaking stuff without having a clue what it will actually do, but creating pleasing enough sounds that I could keep working on.

I am not too keen on their "here's a new version, with some few additional things added, please pay up full again", however no one forced me to buy the new bundle after the old bundle was...umm...old, and I was thinking these apps are different enough to warrant some encouragement for the devs (Intermorphic, which is two guys or something) that I bought them all again anyways. As I say, no one forced me to, and I have no regrets, I'm just not that keen on that tactic (though I understand it).

I have been contemplating for some time to do an experiment, but as I fail to put it into action I'll just voice it here, and perhaps someone else likes the idea and picks it up and does something with it:

Imagine you have the following assets:

• A few images that mean something to you.
    • You write a text that means something to you, preferably in relation to the images.
    • A video clip that means something to you, preferably in relation to the images and the text.
    • Some audio (field) recordings that were taken at the same time as the images and/or the video.

That'd mean you have still/moving images, audio and text that are all related somehow (you see fit).

You then create a song with the Intermorphic apps: you write the text in Liptikl (or if you are like me, possibly start in Creative Writer or Roller Journal). Load that text into Wotja to get some music out, which you mix with your field recordings. Load your images into Virtual Ans or SunVox to get audio out that you mix with the rest. Create a spoken lyric/voice with iSpeech that you can add to parts, based on your text. Turn some of those audio clips into midi that you load into whatever app you'd like. Load some of your audio clips into MixTikl/NoaTikl and let them do their thing and generate random parts based on non-random sounds. Bring it all together. Visualize with video. A fully conceptual song from one moment using all the input senses as the source, and giving back something new to all of them.

In general, doing a song from one moment, but doing a whole lot with it. In that scenario I am thinking the Intermorphic apps would be awesome additions. But that's me. And I haven't done it yet myself. :)

Sounds like a great project , you should do it :))

I'm a big fan of random / chance moments - whether they're words , art or music . I can feel a bundle comin on !!!

• Oh sweet! I'd abandoned Mixtkl mostly. Stopped upgrading after Mixtkl 6. But, you can indeed use it to drive external synths. I'm doing that right now, ie. driving DRC, Crystal Synth XT, TF7, and EGSY01 Analog Synth. I've got 3 drone cells triggered with all of them driving these synths at the same time. No dropout or crackles at all.

Awesome, I didn't know you could do that with Mixtkl. I was only using the built-in sounds.

• @skiphunt said:
    Oh sweet! I'd abandoned Mixtkl mostly. Stopped upgrading after Mixtkl 6. But, you can indeed use it to drive external synths. I'm doing that right now, ie. driving DRC, Crystal Synth XT, TF7, and EGSY01 Analog Synth. I've got 3 drone cells triggered with all of them driving these synths at the same time. No dropout or crackles at all.

Awesome, I didn't know you could do that with Mixtkl. I was only using the built-in sounds.

How do you connect them ? I just discovered I have Mixtikl 6 ( must have got it free or cheap at some point in the past but not used it ), but I can't seem to connect it to my apps

• I can see why I deleted this bloody thing now , I cannot for the life of me get it to connect to any of my MIDI synths and the help files don't help . I the new Mixtikl or Noatikl are like this I won't be buying

• @carol said:
    I can see why I deleted this bloody thing now , I cannot for the life of me get it to connect to any of my MIDI synths and the help files don't help . I the new Mixtikl or Noatikl are like this I won't be buying

First go to the settings and turn on Core Midi and Virtual Midi (not sure if you need both, that's just what I did)

Then, I launched all my synths. I think all of them were set to Chan 1, but one might have been on OMNI, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Then, I double clicked in a cell, open the content folder, add pretty much whatever you want of the included content, ie. (IM_DroneMaker1) etc. they each have different generative qualities...

Then, make sure you "trigger" that cell with the lightning bolt.

Now just sit back and listen to he magic. :)

• @skiphunt said:

@carol said:
    I can see why I deleted this bloody thing now , I cannot for the life of me get it to connect to any of my MIDI synths and the help files don't help . I the new Mixtikl or Noatikl are like this I won't be buying

First go to the settings and turn on Core Midi and Virtual Midi (not sure if you need both, that's just what I did)

Then, I launched all my synths. I think all of them were set to Chan 1, but one might have been on OMNI, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Then, I double clicked in a cell, open the content folder, add pretty much whatever you want of the included content, ie. (IM_DroneMaker1) etc. they each have different generative qualities...

Thank you ! I had virtual but not Core MIDI on , and not the lightning bolt selected . Got something going now , bit of a racket though lol

• edited April 2016

@carol said:

@skiphunt said:

@carol said:

Thank you ! I had virtual but not Core MIDI on , and not the lightning bolt selected . Got something going now , bit of a racket though lol

Yeah, but I like the generative quality of it. I've been doing the same thing lately with Xynthesizr, but it's pretty hit and miss with the randomization. It loses musicality fairly quickly. The only way I can keep it musical AND random is to build some structure manually, then select some cells at the end or in the middle for the "life" randomization.

The few quick tests I did with Mixtikl sounded like they were evolving, but maintaining more of a musical quality instead of devolving into chaos.

In the Mixtikl settings, you can also influence the generative qualities of each content cell by hitting that "generators" icon with the musical note. You can change it from patterns, to chords, etc, etc. and there's more you can adjust that effects the generative stuff.

• I am mainly using Noatikl, and found it is very rewarding to dive deeper into its sometimes complicated-like system. It is core to my setup, sending midi to various synths/effects simultaneously (ifretless, Cyclop, Turnado, Sector, etc.). It takes some time to understand the inner workings of ambient/fixed pattern etc., but I have found some magical ways to put it to work... . All the sounds then go into Logic for panorama-routing/live-eqing/master effects, and then further looped into VDMX for audioreactive videotriggering (almost like the suggestion of @hellquist, but all is realtime-configurable and -adjustable). I looove to be surprised by the algorythms I programmed into Noatikl, and it does make a great job at this... . The forums do seem like an empty room somehow, though, and there's not too many videos to cover the workings. I found Noatikl much easier to manipulate to my liking, compared to Mixtikl (easier to get to, and change, parameters that define the overall sound). I encourage everyone to play around with these! (not, if you want something to sound exactly like what you have in your mind beforehand, though, it will colour the output with a special tan everytime...!)
    Cheers, t

• Oh, could add that when I try to make sense of Noatikl I usually have these tutorials open in a browser nearby: http://whitherwalter.blogspot.se/2014/01/noatikl-for-ipad-tutorial-files-in-order.html

• @animal said:
    I am mainly using Noatikl, and found it is very rewarding to dive deeper into its sometimes complicated-like system. It is core to my setup, sending midi to various synths/effects simultaneously (ifretless, Cyclop, Turnado, Sector, etc.). It takes some time to understand the inner workings of ambient/fixed pattern etc., but I have found some magical ways to put it to work... . All the sounds then go into Logic for panorama-routing/live-eqing/master effects, and then further looped into VDMX for audioreactive videotriggering (almost like the suggestion of @hellquist, but all is realtime-configurable and -adjustable). I looove to be surprised by the algorythms I programmed into Noatikl, and it does make a great job at this... . The forums do seem like an empty room somehow, though, and there's not too many videos to cover the workings. I found Noatikl much easier to manipulate to my liking, compared to Mixtikl (easier to get to, and change, parameters that define the overall sound). I encourage everyone to play around with these! (not, if you want something to sound exactly like what you have in your mind beforehand, though, it will colour the output with a special tan everytime...!)
    Cheers, t

Mixtikl has put me off a bit, but I think Notakil sounds more to my taste , and what you're doing sounds similar to how I'd use it .

Do you have any tracks online I could hear ? Might inspire me to part with my money today !!

• @skiphunt said:

@carol said:

@skiphunt said:

@carol said:

Yeah, but I like the generative quality of it. I've been doing the same thing lately with Xynthesizr, but it's pretty hit and miss with the randomization. It loses musicality fairly quickly. The only way I can keep it musical AND random is to build some structure manually, then select some cells at the end or in the middle for the "life" randomization.

The few quick tests I did with Mixtikl sounded like they were evolving, but maintaining more of a musical quality instead of devolving into chaos.

In the Mixtikl settings, you can also influence the generative qualities of each content cell by hitting that "generators" icon with the musical note. You can change it from patterns, to chords, etc, etc. and there's more you can adjust that effects the generative stuff.

Thanks for your help :)) I feel a bit lost in the interface at the moment , so a bit more learning time is required ! Think I might just jump in and get Notakil though , as it's the latest version ( I'm using v6 of Mixtikl ) and probably more relevant for what I want to do . This is a good starting point though

• @hellquist said:
    Oh, could add that when I try to make sense of Noatikl I usually have these tutorials open in a browser nearby: http://whitherwalter.blogspot.se/2014/01/noatikl-for-ipad-tutorial-files-in-order.html

Great stuff , I'll check these out thanks :))

• @Nathan said:

@carol said:

Using this kind of stuff successfully requires a certain amount of luck and serindiipity. Often it's like sculpting in sound while wearing a blindfold. But, when it does start to work, to results can be like nothing else.

Yeah . It's tricky getting the control / random balance right . At the moment ( in v6 Mixtikl ) I'm struggling to personalise it ( through inexperience of the app ) so when I get Notakil I think it's going to take a bit if dedication to wrestle control , whilst keeping the surprise element intact lol

• @Nathan said:

@carol said:

Using this kind of stuff successfully requires a certain amount of luck and serindiipity. Often it's like sculpting in sound while wearing a blindfold. But, when it does start to work, to results can be like nothing else.

In Noatikl the midi part is extremely easy, user assigns generator to output midi channel and then in the respective external app the input is assigned.

• @neinneinnein said:

@Nathan said:

@carol said:

In Noatikl the midi part is extremely easy, user assigns generator to output midi channel and then in the respective external app the input is assigned.

Thanks for the tip , I think I'll be getting this later :))

• @carol said:

@animal said:
    I am mainly using Noatikl, and found it is very rewarding to dive deeper into its sometimes complicated-like system. It is core to my setup, sending midi to various synths/effects simultaneously (ifretless, Cyclop, Turnado, Sector, etc.). It takes some time to understand the inner workings of ambient/fixed pattern etc., but I have found some magical ways to put it to work... . All the sounds then go into Logic for panorama-routing/live-eqing/master effects, and then further looped into VDMX for audioreactive videotriggering (almost like the suggestion of @hellquist, but all is realtime-configurable and -adjustable). I looove to be surprised by the algorythms I programmed into Noatikl, and it does make a great job at this... . The forums do seem like an empty room somehow, though, and there's not too many videos to cover the workings. I found Noatikl much easier to manipulate to my liking, compared to Mixtikl (easier to get to, and change, parameters that define the overall sound). I encourage everyone to play around with these! (not, if you want something to sound exactly like what you have in your mind beforehand, though, it will colour the output with a special tan everytime...!)
    Cheers, t

Mixtikl has put me off a bit, but I think Notakil sounds more to my taste , and what you're doing sounds similar to how I'd use it .

Do you have any tracks online I could hear ? Might inspire me to part with my money today !!

There's some aggregates at my website: tobiasrobens.com/101/animalaleman

Or vimeo: vimeo.com/animalaleman

All my works are pretty experimental, though. Don't expect pop!
    Hope you enjoy, cheers, t

• @carol said:

@skiphunt said:

@carol said:

@skiphunt said:

@carol said:

Thanks for your help :)) I feel a bit lost in the interface at the moment , so a bit more learning time is required ! Think I might just jump in and get Notakil though , as it's the latest version ( I'm using v6 of Mixtikl ) and probably more relevant for what I want to do . This is a good starting point though

I'm personally torn... I've enjoyed their Mixtikl app for the most part, and don't mind supporting devs... but the way this outfit has gone about it in the past has left a bad taste in my mouth. And, because I'm not all that fond of their interface in Mixtikl, I'd be hard-pressed to give them my money once again for Noatikl.. expecting it to somehow be more intuitive interface design.

• @animal said:

@carol said:

@animal said:
    Cheers, t

Cool stuff! I'm also interested in the VDMX software you're using. It's a bit pricey for playing around with and I know there's a free demo with no saving... but do you know of other video triggering by audio programs that are less dense? Or, maybe an interesting module for FCPX that does some of the basics? Or, maybe something like SunVox but for audio/video triggering?

• @animal said:

@carol said:

@animal said:
    Cheers, t

Great stuff , I like it ! My output is hardly easy listening either lol . I think Noatikl would fit nicely into what I do too

• edited April 2016

@skiphunt said:

I'm personally torn... I've enjoyed their Mixtikl app for the most part, and don't mind supporting devs... but the way this outfit has gone about it in the past has left a bad taste in my mouth. And, because I'm not all that fond of their interface in Mixtikl, I'd be hard-pressed to give them my money once again for Noatikl.. expecting it to somehow be more intuitive interface design.

I really don't like the Mixtikl ( v6 ) interface , too many pages to click through and I've found their help files wanting - but listening to what @animal has done with it , I think my resistance is futile as it's the perfect tool for some projects I have in mind . I think in this instance maybe the end justifies the means lol Basically I just have to knuckle down and learn it inside out .

I don't like having to buy a new app each time there's a big update , but then again if it funds future development then maybe it's better than the alternative of potential abandonware , and as there's nothing else like it on ios I have to accept these onions !

• @Nathan said:

@carol said:

I don't like having to buy a new app each time there's a big update , but then again if it funds future development.

If you have Mixtikl, you can get the other apps as a nice price bundle.

Don't think I can , I have the old v6 version :(

• @carol said:

@skiphunt said:

I really don't like the Mixtikl ( v6 ) interface , too many pages to click through and I've found their help files wanting - but listening to what @animal has done with it , I think my resistance is futile as it's the perfect tool for some projects I have in mind . I think in this instance maybe the end justifies the means lol Basically I just have to knuckle down and learn it inside out .

I don't like having to buy a new app each time there's a big update , but then again if it funds future development then maybe it's better than the alternative of potential abandonware , and as there's nothing else like it on ios I have to accept these onions !

That's just it... ie. potential abandonware... haven't heard much from these cats at intermorphic is a good long while. Toyed with getting Noatikl myself, but am apprehensive whether they're still on it.

• @skiphunt said:

@carol said:

@skiphunt said:

That's just it... ie. potential abandonware... haven't heard much from these cats at intermorphic is a good long while. Toyed with getting Noatikl myself, but am apprehensive whether they're still on it.

Oops. Looks like they JUST had an update. I've been interested in generative music apps for awhile, and I think intermorphic is really, pretty much, the only game in town.