Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning is amazing! Anything similar for notes?

As in the thread title I guess! Only just got Patterning after seeing it crop up in status after status here. And it's so insanely powerful. I love all that polymetric evolving stuff. So I just wondered if there's anything even close to that for notes? I got Fugue machine, and that's really cool too. Not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for though. Open to suggestions!

Comments

• Patterning itself and spice it up to taste with other midi trickeries. You can also send all the automations out via midi

• @mschenkel.it said:
    Patterning itself and spice it up to taste with other midi trickeries. You can also send all the automations out via midi

facepalm I should really poke around before I post. Amazing!! Thank you :)

• edited April 2016

Hi,

No offense, because I might be the first purchaser of Patterning due to the debut timeframe at that time.

I like the idea of polymetric. however, as one of the appholic member, I have met many drum apps. What from my brain understanding is that no one drum app does the vertical matrix for looping pattern!

You may not understand what I am saying? So lets say every one of the drum apps does from left to right for patterns, including Patterning if you think it still a horizontal runs (ya, I know it is round shape).

So did you guys and developers see Skram?

If you use Skram drum patterns, you know what I meant by vertical looping patterns! It is this kind of vertical matrix which makes a sophicated drum patterns!

Ya, still don't understand? All deverlopers? Hope one day I will see such a matrix exist!

Good luck to your fortune!

Kaikoo

• edited April 2016

To expand a bit on what @mschenkel.it said...

A little clunky, but you can use Patterning as is for melody sequencing. You have two options - 1. Use Patterning to drive a melodic synth. You can set the MIDI note triggered by each track in MIDI configuration. 2. Load melodic samples instead of percussion samples

It would be cool to be able to set MIDI notes/track to a specific scale.

• Try an app called 'poly'.

• edited April 2016

Different Drummer may be of interest to you. The name does not mean it is a drum machine btw.

• edited April 2016

Got me thinking of Werkbench. I wish apps could just go open source once the original dev gives up on them.

• @aaronpc said:
    Got me thinking of Workbench. I wish apps could just go open source once the original dev gives up on them.

Seriously

• edited April 2016

new EDIT : Each track can be used to play a monophonic melody by using Coarse Tune +/-12 semitones per Step automation , setting appropriate Midi Note Out & Pitch Automation On in midi settings .
    So 8 x independent monophonic melodies.

( i posted this previously , then deleted thinking I had divulged new beta info , then realised this is possible in current version so reposted )

• @TGiG said:

@aaronpc said:
    Got me thinking of Workbench. I wish apps could just go open source once the original dev gives up on them.

Seriously

Amen

• workbench isn't abandoned, the dev is currently working on a major update.

• forgot to mention the werkbench dev is really open to suggestions so get in touch with him

• I'd like to use Patterning for notes too; being able to quantize values to a scale would make that more practical.

• @kobamoto Great to hear! I don't think I'll contact him, though. I would just tell him to hurry it up already.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Try an app called 'poly'.

Just checking out the app poly for first time. Thanks @Matt_Fletcher_2000. A bit of a hidden gem me-thinks.

• edited April 2016

Another app that's somewhat within the OP's brief is 'Rhythm Necklace - Geometric Sequencer'. Doug did a video review over at thesoundtestroom.com a while back. No AB, but MIDI in/out. I haven't got it myself. iPhone only?

• StepPolyArp.

It's primarily a MIDI controller (has a few internal sounds) that can do a wide range of things. One of my favorite apps.

• edited March 2018

I think it's amazing to chain these apps, both MIDI and Audio:

1. I have a song set up in Patterning, but the main mixer is turned all the way down.
    2. I'm sending the MIDI through Johannes Doerr's MF Randomizer with a stretch of 13.
    3. I'm sending THAT output to BM3 with different samples on all 64 pads.
    4. Then I'm sending the Audio output from BM3 to Voice Synth.

Anyone familiar with all those apps can just imagine. Lord, what fantastic stuff! :smiley:

Oh, and if your samples on the pads in BM3 are melodic (arpeggios?), even more interesting. Then turn the volume back up in Patterning to reaffirm the rhythm component. Put some harmony/melody over the top and it's mesmerizing.

• @chimp_spanner said:
    As in the thread title I guess! Only just got Patterning after seeing it crop up in status after status here. And it's so insanely powerful. I love all that polymetric evolving stuff. So I just wondered if there's anything even close to that for notes? I got Fugue machine, and that's really cool too. Not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for though. Open to suggestions!

We are waiting for the update of Quantum.

• @motmeister said:

1. I have a song set up in Patterning, but the main mixer is turned all the way down.
    2. I'm sending the MIDI through Johannes Doerr's MF Randomizer with a stretch of 13.

Anyone familiar with all those apps can just imagine. Lord, what fantastic stuff! :smiley:

Oh, and if your samples on the pads in BM3 are melodic (arpeggios?), even more interesting. Then turn the volume back up in Patterning to reaffirm the rhythm component. Put some harmony/melody over the top and it's mesmerizing.

Great patch ideas--thanks! I will have to get the MF apps now just to try this out.

• @motmeister said:

Lets hear it!

• @motmeister said:

>

Errrrrt, not getting how to arrange step 2. How do we get Patterning to send through MF Randomizer?

• @Zen210507 said:

@motmeister said:

>

Errrrrt, not getting how to arrange step 2. How do we get Patterning to send through MF Randomizer?

The MF itunes pages says that Audiobus is required. Do these not work with AUM?

• edited March 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    The MF itunes pages says that Audiobus is required. Do these not work with AUM?

>

AFAIK, they are AB3 only.

We can, of course, connect apps to AB3, then use that under AUM as AB source. So maybe that is what I should try.

EDIT

Errrr, still not having much success. This would be so much easier if MF made their stuff AU.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr @Zen210507 I use Midiflow Adapter to use Midiflow plugins with AUM. Here are some screenshots of how I set it up.

Particles and Troublemaker in AUM, both AU.

Midiflow Adapter in Audiobus Midi Input and Output, with Midiflow Randomizer and Midiflow Scales in series.

In AUM Midimatrix, connect Particles out to Midiflow Adapter In channel 1.

In AUM Midimatrix, connect MidiflowAdapter Out channel 1 to Troublemaker in.

• @CracklePot said:
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr @Zen210507 I use Midiflow Adapter to use Midiflow plugins with AUM. Here are some screenshots of how I set it up.

Just spotted this, Mr Pot. Very helpful. Will hopefully be able to give it a bash on the morrow.