Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep 1.1

Comments

• edited April 2016

Thx for the huge Update. I have Problems with many IAA / f.e Synthmaster Player / IK MUltimedia Apps like Grand Piano to output Audio in Modstep1.1. Mostly its silent on the Ipad Air alltime. . If i open Synthmaster in InfiniteLooper it works from scratch. Volume is sure up and i can record and also see the notes being recorded but there is no sound output. Sure restarted my IPAD. And all Apps are loaded in the background too and do work once being in Front. What is working as IAA in 1.1 from scratch for example is Animoog. I am running latest IOS.
    Anyone can verify this behave with IAA atm ?

• @Halftone said:

@Kaikoo2 said:

@Halftone said:
    When I sync Beathawk to Modstep - I hit play in ms - and BH starts - but will only play the first bar of a 2 or 4 bar pattern in BH and loop that 1 bar. Anybody know how to get BH to play more than the 1 bar?

No problem at all for BH ipad air2 9.31
    BH: active mid input 'Modstep', Midi 'send Omni'

Modstep: Beathawk on IAA instru, both in and out on Ch 10

Run many times, goes fine, looping many bars on pads.

I prefer don't have autosave feature, and at least one level undo button for all, plus save all things on Dropbox.

Are you sequencing BH notes from MS sequencer? I have a 4 bar pattern i made in BH that I want to play in MS. So I set up 4 blank loops in MS and when I hit play - only the 1st bar of the BH pattern loops. Is this how you're doing it? It looks like you have notes in your clip in MS...

Man! I do the drum notes on Modstep. I do not do inside BeatHawk. It is easier to use Modstep drum pad for track than use other apps own sequences. Let Modstep do the perforamnce, other apps just send the sound to Mod!

• @Kaikoo2 said:

@Halftone said:

@Kaikoo2 said:

@Halftone said:
    When I sync Beathawk to Modstep - I hit play in ms - and BH starts - but will only play the first bar of a 2 or 4 bar pattern in BH and loop that 1 bar. Anybody know how to get BH to play more than the 1 bar?

I prefer don't have autosave feature, and at least one level undo button for all, plus save all things on Dropbox.

Are you sequencing BH notes from MS sequencer? I have a 4 bar pattern i made in BH that I want to play in MS. So I set up 4 blank loops in MS and when I hit play - only the 1st bar of the BH pattern loops. Is this how you're doing it? It looks like you have notes in your clip in MS...

Man! I do the drum notes on Modstep. I do not do inside BeatHawk. It is easier to use Modstep drum pad for track than use other apps own sequences. Let Modstep do the perforamnce, other apps just send the sound to Mod!

yeah - i agree about the drums - but I have a bunch of BH songs with melodic parts I wouldn't want to recreate in Modstep. I guess I could save out the audio loops... but would be nice to have MS play more than 1 bar in BH if possible.

• @Halftone said:

@Kaikoo2 said:

@Halftone said:

@Kaikoo2 said:

@Halftone said:

yeah - i agree about the drums - but I have a bunch of BH songs with melodic parts I wouldn't want to recreate in Modstep. I guess I could save out the audio loops... but would be nice to have MS play more than 1 bar in BH if possible.

In that case, try 'midi select' instead of omni..
    I can hear the tonal difference on each part of Modstep drum pads. You need to test the rest on it.

• @ecamburn said:
    Is there a way to record a passage of longer than 1 bar? I know you can play back passages that are longer than 1 bar by playing back multiple patterns in a row. It seems like pattern length in the step sequencer is limited to 1 bar. But the piano roll also seems limited to this constraint.

Not a huge constraint IMO since you can string together up to 16 patterns, but I'm just trying to make sure I understand Modsteps structure and workflow correctly

If I understand your question correctly, then yes you can. You need to highlight the bars to enable them to play, so you could record a 16 bar passage if you highlight them all.

• @firejan82 said:

@ecamburn said:
    Is there a way to record a passage of longer than 1 bar? I know you can play back passages that are longer than 1 bar by playing back multiple patterns in a row. It seems like pattern length in the step sequencer is limited to 1 bar. But the piano roll also seems limited to this constraint.

Not a huge constraint IMO since you can string together up to 16 patterns, but I'm just trying to make sure I understand Modsteps structure and workflow correctly

If I understand your question correctly, then yes you can. You need to highlight the bars to enable them to play, so you could record a 16 bar passage if you highlight them all.

Yes you understood perfectly. That works great. For others - in Modstep lingo, you can control the length of the clip you're recording by selecting different numbers of patterns before recording. Modstep then records into the patterns you've selected one by one. For example I wanted to record a 4 bar clip. I selected 4 patterns, recorded the clip and the clip was automatically "spread" across the 4 patterns. Sort of like MIDI auto slicing.

Alright, next question. Anyone know what the Export button under clip settings does? It appears to write an audio file but I can't find the file in the browser. It seems like it's almost like a freeze function because I can hear the exported audio clip play when I trigger the clip. I've switched out a dfferent synth on the track but can still hear this exported audio clip playing. ???

• edited April 2016

One of those worth the price of the ipad alone apps.

One thing i can't get my head around though is MIDI import. I'll put one of Modstep's samplers on a track, then in the top right of the UI go into the file section and import a MIDI file. The MIDI imports in a clip on a new Modstep track, but the new track that is opened is a Modstep synth, and not the sampler. I know the file was imported because I can hear the synth playing it (and see the info in clip preview), however, I want to get the MIDI file into a sampler track to drive drums that are in a Modstep Sampler, but when I copy the midi clip to a sampler track clip, the data is not in the piano roll.

So what I'm wondering is, can you drive the internal Modstep "sampler" with an imported MIDI file , or does imported MIDI only work with an internal Modstep synth? Please discuss

• @ecamburn : Export for the Clip doesn't create an audio file, but a Clip file so that you can import it to another modstep Session.You can load Clips from the same menu into another Clip. It will not only remember all the note data, but also all Clip data such as Program Changes, the CCs (and Templates) etc.

You can also export it straight to a MIDI file.

@bounce : Sure you can! Just exchange the automatically loaded Synth againstthe Sampler by dragging it from the Browser to the Track you want to use it on.

Hope that helps!

• edited April 2016

Thanks @Nerk_ I see now. I was expecting the clip to show up in the document browser. But I can see that it shows up with you click the Clip import button.

While you're here, is there any way to get Track Templates out of Modsteps so that they could be shared with others. When I clicked on the Export button in the Template tab I was hoping there would be a pop up to export to Dropbox or something similar.

I wanted to give a shout out for investing a little time in creating MIDI CC maps. One of the most powerful features of Modstep is its modulation options. I knocked out an Animoog template today in about 30 minutes. Animoog is easy because you can directly type in CC #s and don't have to set CCs through a MIDI learn process.

• @ecamburn : You can find and backup all modstep related files using iTunes: you can also transfer them to another iPad by just dragging them on the file sharing tab:

Then you can zip them and put them online if you want to share them, which is easy because they are quite small (not counting the audio recordings of course). We are thinking about how we could make that more easily accessible in the future, but we are not sure whether this should be something like dropbox or rather more generic. Any thoughts on this?

• @bounce : Sure you can! Just exchange the automatically loaded Synth againstthe Sampler by dragging it from the Browser to the Track you want to use it on.

Thanks for that, however, I tried it that way before and when I replace the internal synth with the internal sampler, the MIDI file's data instantly vanishes from the piano roll. Does this sound like a bug? I sent a report yesterday about it.

Other than that, Modstep and Samplr are audio/MIDI nirvana.

• wimwim
    edited April 2016

@bounce said:

@bounce : Sure you can! Just exchange the automatically loaded Synth againstthe Sampler by dragging it from the Browser to the Track you want to use it on.

Thanks for that, however, I tried it that way before and when I replace the internal synth with the internal sampler, the MIDI file's data instantly vanishes from the piano roll. Does this sound like a bug? I sent a report yesterday about it.

@bounce You probably just need to switch the track you copied the pattern into from a drum track to a midi track. That's a confusing aspect of ModStep. Drum and "melody" tracks are completely separate, and one mode's notes don't show up in the other's.

If the Track header says "Melody" then touch the piano roll icon under the words "add track" at the top of the screen to switch to Melody/Piano roll mode.

• Thanks @Nerk_

Here's an Animoog CC map and a Modstep template that work together. There's a little readme in the zip file that says where to install the files and how to open them in their respective apps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udkhw4msi57z9bi/animoog-modstep-cc-templates.zip?dl=0

• Further to the Sector IAA sync problem earlier, it does the same thing with Seekbeats (plays a sustained note on every beat, skips all the 16th notes completely). Add this to Patterning stopping after 1/2 a bar...

Then it crashed. Is IAA sync fundamentally broken in Modstep?

• @wim said:

@bounce said:

@bounce You probably just need to switch the track you copied the pattern into from a drum track to a midi track. That's a confusing aspect of ModStep. Drum and "melody" tracks are completely separate, and one mode's notes don't show up in the other's.

If the Track header says "Melody" then touch the piano roll icon under the words "add track" at the top of the screen to switch to Melody/Piano roll mode.

Thanks for pointing out that distinction, must have glossed over it when reading the manual. Still having a weird issue though: when I switch the type from melody to drum I can then hear the drums play the midi file and I can see the clip has midi parts in the piano roll via clip preview. Yet, when I go into the clip it still plays the midi file with the samplers drums, but none of the midi notes show in the piano roll. So, I can add midi notes in the piano roll by touching lanes, but I can't subtract anything from the imported midi file because none of the notes show in the piano roll other than the ones I've added.

• Is it possible to make a PDF version of the manual? It would be a lot easier to read it instead on a browser :)

• wimwim
    edited April 2016

@bounce said:
    Thanks for pointing out that distinction, must have glossed over it when reading the manual. Still having a weird issue though: when I switch the type from melody to drum I can then hear the drums play the midi file and I can see the clip has midi parts in the piano roll via clip preview. Yet, when I go into the clip it still plays the midi file with the samplers drums, but none of the midi notes show in the piano roll. So, I can add midi notes in the piano roll by touching lanes, but I can't subtract anything from the imported midi file because none of the notes show in the piano roll other than the ones I've added.

That doesn't happen to me. Are you sure you're in the piano roll, not the step sequencer? Once you switch over to melody, you should be editing in the piano roll, even if it's a "drum" midi part. Confusing as hell, I know. It seems like the developers are heading in a direction to make that clearer, but aren't quite there yet.

• Thanks for this fantastic app. Plus 1 for PDF manual.

I can't figure out one thing...Audio Share works great, but there is a BIG difference between a sample in AS and the one I import...imported one sounds tiny, quiet, pitched up?...nothing like my original...what happens there? Why isn't the sample exactly same as original?
    Also previewing them, I can barely hear them... I didn't do any volume adjustment anywhere....

• it would be great to see different sets of stock chords included in future updates.

• edited April 2016

@Carnbot said:
    it would be great to see different sets of stock chords included in future updates.

Hehe, you the hand behind the move! My sensor says.

Ya, I report a bug to yesterday too, a ghost midi data.

I quite feel the keyboard so beautiful and the key reflecting the track colors, just needs an optionable pitch wheel and mod wheel. I just feel the AU gui matching so well with keyboard.

• edited April 2016

Just trying few times of new drawing mode. It is very responding and quick. I like it's feeling by touch and like the way to delete notes. Mod developer does very good job at midi editing on pianoroll update!

• @soundklinik said:
    Thanks for this fantastic app. Plus 1 for PDF manual.

I can't figure out one thing...Audio Share works great, but there is a BIG difference between a sample in AS and the one I import...imported one sounds tiny, quiet, pitched up?...nothing like my original...what happens there? Why isn't the sample exactly same as original?
    Also previewing them, I can barely hear them... I didn't do any volume adjustment anywhere....

this.
    also, if modstep could slice and chop samples to 16 pads it would be the app champion.

• edited April 2016

Keyboard has good velocity implementation, Richard Devine RD-Iceland preset of Animoog proves Modstep keyboard usage, but the velocity has reverse order compared to Animoog, the upper touch reflects lower vel on Modstep.

Future update needs a hold button on keyboard, btw!

• edited April 2016

This time Turnado works so well under v1.1, due to the new piano roll brush and New IAA arranger.

Turnado now is really made for Modstep. I was expecting this for years on iPad!

So much musical fantasy fulfill by these combination to modulate sounds.

Same is true for rhythmic WOW!

• my first days with Modstep. Love it. Just one thing. I see that you can use Samplr as an instrument. But i don't understand how. I'm a Samplr user and i know it is lacking of Midi controls, but then: what can i do with it within Modstep?

thnx!

• edited April 2016

@Nerk_

Can you help the audio recorder, the WOW on Animoog keeping clipping no matter what sample rate buffer size adjusted by me to all of them within Modstep environment!

The generated audio files are bad for my ears when listen them on AudioShare.

Sounds are perfect inside Mod but not on the recorded audio loops!

2 apps on a IAA track

air2 ios9.31

Thks

• I have missed the enthusiastic twittering of the rare Kaikoo bird in my mornings :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I have missed the enthusiastic twittering of the rare Kaikoo bird in my mornings :)

Hi, wake up now? Make urself a comfortable cup of coffee!

I love WOW on Mod! It is the only grateful filters app which can generate rhythmic tunes on iOS without going in Auria Volcano!

Mod is very good for fun play, I do not want to waste my time on Mod! Love the way to fluff or mod the WOW!

• @Kaikoo2

In this life we all mostly want to Love the way to fluff or mod the WOW!, happy that you got there already :)

More seriously, I bought Turnado and WOW on the same day, found more immediate use in Turnado, and for that reason hardly ever think of opening up WOW. I am off on a many-flight trip very soon and have a list of things to re-visit while bored on planes, will add WOW to that....

• @Nerk_ ,

@JohnnyGoodyear,

You can hear it ....