Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep 1.1

Comments

• @Kaikoo2 yes welcome back, I was imagining that you were getting lots of work done whilst not being on this forum ;)

• edited April 2016

@firejan82 said:

@Kaikoo2 said:

@firejan82 said:
    The only real issue I found is that the AUs don't save states. Someone already mentioned that in here. I hope that'll get fixed. Other than that, this is the best iOS clip launching midi sequencer by a lot.

Not just that, I do not have idea on how to off the iSem AU internal sequencer to stop playing itself!

You probably have the iSEM Arpegiator set to HOLD.

Oh! I will check it later, thks @firejan82

Good to see you all, @Littlewoodg, @Carnbot,

@studs1966' can not cancel my account, because my email deleted! So 2nd generation prototype is here, :p

• Kaikoo2: Stronger, Faster, Better.

• @syrupcore said:
    Kaikoo2: Stronger, Faster, Better.

Cool! Lets race em!

• Welcome back Captain Kaikoo.... :)

• Cool, thank you all for warm welcoming! <3

• edited April 2016

@Rustik,,

To answer those question:

I do not and will never see it as a DAW.
    I find it better to suit me than Genome do to!

AUM needs futher development on Midi connections, develeper is doing now from all your knowledge! AUM can now only do good to AU and IAA! So soon will see the differences!

Modstep and AUM can be well to each other without a DAW.

Best DAW is Auria on iPad, You need to follow the 'modstep2Auria' tutorial work flow to realize the Power of Fab and PSP on Auira! you should give SoundPrism Pro and SP link more hand to this area, becuase I found SP is my favorite to play with including StepPolyArp to combine with Auria!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

I hear you (on a number of fronts). Would certainly welcome some straightforward 'This Is Block A, This Is Block B' videos. I am taken with @Reid's approach to Drum Perfect Pro, perhaps there is some other patient teacher out there willing to flex their skills in the service of the numbskulls etc.

I would also like somebody to do something like what I'm doing with my DrumPerfect Pro videos. I have had no luck learning how to use Modstep. I fiddle with it all the time but am still on the last train to plinksville because I have been too lazy to crack the manual. Every time I go on this forum I feel like hanging my head in shame because of my pathetic lack of Modstep skills.

• @Reid said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I hear you (on a number of fronts). Would certainly welcome some straightforward 'This Is Block A, This Is Block B' videos. I am taken with @Reid's approach to Drum Perfect Pro, perhaps there is some other patient teacher out there willing to flex their skills in the service of the numbskulls etc.

I would also like somebody to do something like what I'm doing with my DrumPerfect Pro videos. I have had no luck learning how to use Modstep. I fiddle with it all the time but am still on the last train to plinksville because I have been too lazy to crack the manual. Every time I go on this forum I feel like hanging my head in shame because of my pathetic lack of Modstep skills.

I am pathetic lacking of Drum Perfect Pro skills too. We polar opposition each other!

• @crifytosp said:
    Be nice if l could copy between automation cells.

Yes! I ran into that last night. Tried importing some MIDI files. Each had to end up in a separate clip, with no way to combine them.

On a related note, it would be great to be able to import MIDI files into a clip rather than having to import them to the song as a separate track. As far as I can see, you have to go to the files tab to import the midi, which results in a new sampler track with the clip in it. Then you have to copy the clip to the track you wanted it in ... and then it has to remain a separate clip. Not ideal.

But! I'm not complaining. Terrific update!!

• Although the current update is HUGE regarding IAA support, so far I can't see myself leveraging it much. I think it may be ignorance on my part, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get apps like DrumPerfect, ElasticDrums, iSpark, BassLine ... that have their own sequencers to keep from triggering their own patterns when used via IAA. I can work around it sometimes by putting in a blank pattern, but that just doesn't sit well with me.

Even if there's an answer to the above, I think I'd still keep my sequencing setup (ModStep), and audio processing setup (AudioBus + AUM), topped off by AB Remote for convenience. It just makes more sense to me that way. And like @syrupcore (i think) mentioned, moving ModStep off to an slower device, is a lot easier if all it's doing is sequencing. I'm not doing that now, but like the idea.

On the other hand, AU support within ModStep is mucho attractive. I might need to rethink my approach on that one.

• edited April 2016

I loved to figure out the progress of Modstep... but recording with the virtual keyboard is not possible. Second, even in melody mode it's not possible to draw notes longer than one grid with the cool brush tool. Third, transpose of clips in octaves works fine here, but not in semitones. That kills the workflow for me a bit (for making sketches with Cubase 8.5 instruments), and for now I will go on with Ableton Live and Touchable.

• @Reid said:

I hear what you're saying, however, just as a counterweight on the scales, I am somewhere in between: I love what I CAN do with ModStep, today. I also love what I think I can be doing in the future, even though I'm not there just yet with ModSteps all functions (mainly because I haven't needed it).

Not knowing every nook and cranny of every app ever made shouldn't be a reading to hang your head in shame, the other way around, if you did you would probably only verify one of two things: you are extremely productive and your workflow does not matter, or the more common: maybe this will add something good to my creative output.

When it comes to ModStep, it definitely has added to my creative and musical output. I don't know it all. So far I haven't needed to. That is ok. :)

• @AudioGus said:

@hellquist said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@hellquist said:

Hehe, excellent, cheers for that, always interesting to see/hear how people go about doing their things. :)
    I should also be working...:)

I wish doing this or making music was my day job B)

Indeed. It used to be my job, but it sort of went away. Now it is back, as a hobby, whilst I do grown-up things.
    I think more of us would strive to find our sweet spot in Ikigai. :smile:

Cool diagram. 'That which the world needs' is the most painful part to me.

The most painful part for me is that I do pretty much most of those things labelled in there, in one form or another, and I do them well and at times very intensely, at the expense of the other parts/labels. Then I over compensate. I haven't found the sweetspot yet though, where I truly spend most of my days in that sweet spot where they all meet.

• edited April 2016

@hellquist said:

@AudioGus said:

@hellquist said:

Cool diagram. 'That which the world needs' is the most painful part to me.

The most painful part for me is that I do pretty much most of those things labelled in there, in one form or another, and I do them well and at times very intensely, at the expense of the other parts/labels. Then I over compensate. I haven't found the sweetspot yet though, where I truly spend most of my days in that sweet spot where they all meet.

I totaly relate to what you are saying. The crazy imbalance of it all by not being able to get it in one place, heh. I just have the feeling that the sweet spot simply doesnt exist for me. Our culture puts a lot of emphasis on people finding it but when I look around and don't see anyone doing something for a living that appeals to me... Well I sure hope I still have creative juice and mental faculties left in the tank if and when I make it to retirement so that I can do it then. :smile:

• edited April 2016

@Syngularity said:
    I loved to figure out the progress of Modstep... but recording with the virtual keyboard is not possible. Second, even in melody mode it's not possible to draw notes longer than one grid with the cool brush tool. Third, transpose of clips in octaves works fine here, but not in semitones. That kills the workflow for me a bit (for making sketches with Cubase 8.5 instruments), and for now I will go on with Ableton Live and Touchable.

Not sure what you mean by recording with virtual keyboard not possible- track needs arming to record midi.

Notes can be drawn longer than one grid by sliding the small travelling rectangle at the top of screen: center the grid seams in the center of the piano roll, drag the note as far as you want.

EDIT Also pinch gesture shrinks piano roll to show multiple grids on one screen- this is pinch or spread 2 fingers between piano roll and the mini clip strip across the top, you can pinch on left side also, which expands or contracts the piano roll on the y axis...). The horizontal gesture works if you want to assign a single up to 30 second (or longer?) sample to sampler and loop it as a clip.

Also haven't had a problem with semitones transpositions, generally. Some synths aren't linking as well IAA wise, perhaps.

• Did have a few issues with Modstep tonight. Couple of times it just stopped playing randomly. All the clips started flashing and the play icon with circle was stuck half way thru. Nothing responded. Also had notes playing when there were none in either drum or piano roll... I hit stop and started again and no notes played. I only had 5 tracks running in total at the time - 1 internal synth 1 sampler 1 AU iSem. 1 IAA Beathawk and another synth or sampler.

I accidentally deleted a drum clip. So I went to reload the project - but the damn auto save (which resaves every few ms it seems) had saved over my initial project - so when I reloaded the drum clip was still missing.

Still running much better than before - I'm gonna try some more over next few days and see how it goes

• When I sync Beathawk to Modstep - I hit play in ms - and BH starts - but will only play the first bar of a 2 or 4 bar pattern in BH and loop that 1 bar. Anybody know how to get BH to play more than the 1 bar?

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Syngularity said:

Not sure what you mean by recording with virtual keyboard not possible- track needs arming to record midi.

Notes can be drawn longer than one grid by sliding the small travelling rectangle at the top of screen: center the grid seams in the center of the piano roll, drag the note as far as you want, Also pinch gesture shrinks piano roll to show multiple grids on one screen (I think up to 16...). This works if you want to assign a single 30+ second sample to sampler and loop it..,

Also haven't had a problem with semitones transpositions, generally. Some synths aren't linking as well IAA wise, perhaps.

I noticed the semitones thing. If modstep's synth was playing, I could dynamically transpose in octaves from the cliplaunch window, but not in semitones. Inside piano roll, semitone transposition worked fine.

• Just spotted a little noticed aspect of modstep's update:
    It now has Remote Triggers!

They may be extremely limited, but just having a 'play/stop' button on there is a big thing in performance.

• Hi @OscarSouth : Are you referring to the MIDI MAP functionality? Pretty much all parameters in modstep including the clips and the mixer can be controlled remotely, what are you missing there?

• edited April 2016

@Halftone said:
    When I sync Beathawk to Modstep - I hit play in ms - and BH starts - but will only play the first bar of a 2 or 4 bar pattern in BH and loop that 1 bar. Anybody know how to get BH to play more than the 1 bar?

No problem at all for BH ipad air2 9.31
    BH: active mid input 'Modstep', Midi 'send Omni'

Modstep: Beathawk on IAA instru, both in and out on Ch 10

Run many times, goes fine, looping many bars on pads.

I prefer don't have autosave feature, and at least one level undo button for all, plus save all things on Dropbox.

• edited April 2016

@Nerk_ said:
    Hi @OscarSouth : Are you referring to the MIDI MAP functionality? Pretty much all parameters in modstep including the clips and the mixer can be controlled remotely, what are you missing there?

Before the update, on my Audiobus Remote screen there was nothing at all for modstep, just the quicklaunch icon. I noticed while working today that there's a play/stop button, a back to 0 button and a 'rec' button. Minor yet huge boost in functionality!

It was becoming a major issue to stop modstep in a musical manner, in rehearsals have been just zeroing it's faders (which were broken, so I was using the hardware master vol..) and it wasn't a smooth ending. Losing reverb trails and not feeling resolved etc. With the stop button.. Pow! Track finished.

• Super n00b here. I just want to play the session that comes with the app - but when I hit the PLAY button, the counter begins counting up, but I get no sound.

I've gone over all the vids I can find and they are all great for specific functions - but nothing on simple use - like how to play a session!

I think everybody is so advanced they "assume" all the simpler features are obvious and don't bother talking about them. Not to mention how fast they go over the stuff the do show.

• @seachord - in addition to hitting play, one or more clips need to be selected which contain notes. In fact, you don't even need to press play...just press a clip to start it playing.

• edited April 2016

Hi @cblomert and all,

Today I will do Midisteps2Modstep tutorial topic after few hours.

@cblemert, thank you for Modstep development, I think AU synth coming into Modstep is a big step on this app!

However, shortly you will discover both midisteps and modstep can marry each other too. As I alway think, they do not against each other for all musicians. So friends here should consider owning both apps without competition.

The tutorial is on Animoog, midisteps and Modstep. There is one important issue that Modstep developers need to solve, that is the AU synths on Modstep need an internal midi channels! It is like AUM to provide internal option to let 3rd part apps to play Modstep AU synth, so the midi data signal flow should be passing through! At present moment, there is no way to allow midisteps or other virtual data passing into Modstep AU synths. So @Cblemert, please read my tutorial on these aspects to understand what I ask you for! Thk you!

Cheers

Tutorial is out here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/13259/midisteps2modstep-tutorial#latest

• Anyone got Sector to follow IAA host sync in Modstep? It just seems to occasionally play slices every few measures. I doubt it's a Sector problem as it is hosted by AUM and Cubasis perfectly fine.

• Is there a way to record a passage of longer than 1 bar? I know you can play back passages that are longer than 1 bar by playing back multiple patterns in a row. It seems like pattern length in the step sequencer is limited to 1 bar. But the piano roll also seems limited to this constraint.

Not a huge constraint IMO since you can string together up to 16 patterns, but I'm just trying to make sure I understand Modsteps structure and workflow correctly

• @Kaikoo2 said:

@Halftone said:
    When I sync Beathawk to Modstep - I hit play in ms - and BH starts - but will only play the first bar of a 2 or 4 bar pattern in BH and loop that 1 bar. Anybody know how to get BH to play more than the 1 bar?

No problem at all for BH ipad air2 9.31
    BH: active mid input 'Modstep', Midi 'send Omni'

Modstep: Beathawk on IAA instru, both in and out on Ch 10

Run many times, goes fine, looping many bars on pads.

I prefer don't have autosave feature, and at least one level undo button for all, plus save all things on Dropbox.

Are you sequencing BH notes from MS sequencer? I have a 4 bar pattern i made in BH that I want to play in MS. So I set up 4 blank loops in MS and when I hit play - only the 1st bar of the BH pattern loops. Is this how you're doing it? It looks like you have notes in your clip in MS...

• @OscarSouth said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Syngularity said:

Notes can be drawn longer than one grid by sliding the small travelling rectangle at the top of screen: center the grid seams in the center of the piano roll, drag the note as far as you want, Also pinch gesture shrinks piano roll to show multiple grids on one screen (I think up to 16...). This works if you want to assign a single 30+ second sample to sampler and loop it..,

I noticed the semitones thing. If modstep's synth was playing, I could dynamically transpose in octaves from the cliplaunch window, but not in semitones. Inside piano roll, semitone transposition worked fine.

Wish I could see what was happening, or since it's a memory maybe this glitch was pre updates. Tested this just now, I have onboard synth, iSem as AU, and Korg Module loaded as IAA, all three transpose on the fly, in clip view, both semi tone and octave. This is most enjoyable. Transposing in piano view is also very cool, as one can lasso a set of notes or select single notes and transpose in the grid, on the fly. The piano roll view also has those mini clip bar sections at the top, and one can select some of those contained in the mother clip, or just one of the set to transpose, also on the fly.