Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep 1.1

Comments

• edited April 2016

Anyone found out how to delete a track or a scene?
    edit: found it. Touch upper left edit, select trashcan symbol and tap on track header.

• To the people who use Modstep in conjunction with AUM:
    What are the benefits? You can insert fx in tracks, adjust level and record the outcome.
    So why use AUM ?

• @dreamrobe said:
    To the people who use Modstep in conjunction with AUM:
    What are the benefits? You can insert fx in tracks, adjust level and record the outcome.
    So why use AUM ?

Because, for now, IAA sync & usage in general is decidedly shaky in MS & works much better in AUM.

• @dreamrobe said:
    To the people who use Modstep in conjunction with AUM:
    So why use AUM ?

Panning and the other types of AUMs stereo processing, bussing, send effects, AUMs dynamic effects, filters and eq.

• Thank you for the answers.

• @hellquist said:

Thanks, that'd be great, if you have the time. Have been exploring various apps in a similar set-up a bit myself, based on the awesomeness of both ModStep and AUM, so was curious on how you set up Blocs and Launchpad to have it integrate (if they do). Just from cursory looks it looks like a nice qua-mbo (as opposed to combo, which is 2) but I have yet to find if Blocs or Launchpad will respond to external (app) midi control in any way.

For example, it looks like there is an IAP for Launchpad for midi sync out, but I have yet to find if I could midi learn the transport controls in Blocs/Launchpad or indeed if I can start/stop clips to play (or record, where applicable) controlled from for example ModStep. I shall keep digging though. I should probably purchase Blocs, it helps when trying to work out functionality. :)

This is a rule of thumb that i tend to use, and this is not really 'workflow' but a setup. I take workflow to mean the process of creation, so where do i start, where do I finish and how do i get there.

For Jamming or live played samples I find/make them using blocs wave/AB/a selection of AU/IAA live guitar/bass or vocals, and then load them into Launchpad for actual playing, this is because Launchpad app works with my Launchpad controller, if blocs wave worked with the controller I would probably leave the samples there until i either needed more than 8 or want to use the Launchpad performance effects. With promised updates to wave, particularly the slicer, wave is set to become a much more playable instrument in it's own right, so will become more of a multi-use tool.

For samples that I want to trigger from a sequencer I load them into the drum sampler in ModStep. HOT TIP, when using internal ModStep instruments make them the first 8 tracks in your project so that you can easily route their output into AUM later if you want to.
    AUM brings all the audio together, as well as being the multitracker for timeline based audio, a guitar track that is not looped for example.

MIDI Sync out on launchpad app is used with MIDI Link sync, to keep everything synced.

I guess what I am saying is that how much I want to interact with the sample/synth during a performance (do i want to fiddle, or just press play) will dictate where that 'soundsource' ends up.
    If it is unchanging throughout the performance, make it a sample and loop it. (Takes up less space if looped as opposed to being a full length audio track)
    If it makes pre-defined changes over time then make it an audio track in AUM, (Generally audio playback takes up less processor than seqeuncer/synth combination)
    If you want to play a synth live load it in AUM, you can the either sequence from ModStep or play from a controller..
    If you want to 'play' samples load them in either wave or Launchpad depending on exactly how you want to play them. Launchpad for triggering and performance effects (You could do effects in AUM also) or use wave if you want to mess with loop points or live transpose.

Going back to actual workflow, I can start a jam or idea in any one of these 4 apps, and because of their flexibility I can end up with any combination of them, depending on how I want to interact with the tune while it is playing in it's final form, and I can use many combinations of these apps to turn the idea into the final parts.

Now I need to get some work done :D

• does anyone have midi over usb working? On Windows going into live, can't see any ports in studio up server.

• @AndyPlankton said:

This is a rule of thumb that i tend to use, and this is not really 'workflow' but a setup. I take workflow to mean the process of creation, so where do i start, where do I finish and how do i get there.

For Jamming or live played samples I find/make them using blocs wave/AB/a selection of AU/IAA live guitar/bass or vocals, and then load them into Launchpad for actual playing, this is because Launchpad app works with my Launchpad controller, if blocs wave worked with the controller I would probably leave the samples there until i either needed more than 8 or want to use the Launchpad performance effects. With promised updates to wave, particularly the slicer, wave is set to become a much more playable instrument in it's own right, so will become more of a multi-use tool.

For samples that I want to trigger from a sequencer I load them into the drum sampler in ModStep. HOT TIP, when using internal ModStep instruments make them the first 8 tracks in your project so that you can easily route their output into AUM later if you want to.
    AUM brings all the audio together, as well as being the multitracker for timeline based audio, a guitar track that is not looped for example.

MIDI Sync out on launchpad app is used with MIDI Link sync, to keep everything synced.

I guess what I am saying is that how much I want to interact with the sample/synth during a performance (do i want to fiddle, or just press play) will dictate where that 'soundsource' ends up.
    If it is unchanging throughout the performance, make it a sample and loop it. (Takes up less space if looped as opposed to being a full length audio track)
    If it makes pre-defined changes over time then make it an audio track in AUM, (Generally audio playback takes up less processor than seqeuncer/synth combination)
    If you want to play a synth live load it in AUM, you can the either sequence from ModStep or play from a controller..
    If you want to 'play' samples load them in either wave or Launchpad depending on exactly how you want to play them. Launchpad for triggering and performance effects (You could do effects in AUM also) or use wave if you want to mess with loop points or live transpose.

Going back to actual workflow, I can start a jam or idea in any one of these 4 apps, and because of their flexibility I can end up with any combination of them, depending on how I want to interact with the tune while it is playing in it's final form, and I can use many combinations of these apps to turn the idea into the final parts.

Hehe, excellent, cheers for that, always interesting to see/hear how people go about doing their things. :)
    I should also be working...:)

• @hellquist said:

Hehe, excellent, cheers for that, always interesting to see/hear how people go about doing their things. :)

I wish doing this or making music was my day job B)

• @dreamrobe said:
    Anyone found out how to delete a track or a scene?
    edit: found it. Touch upper left edit, select trashcan symbol and tap on track header.

Edit > Trashcan > tap twice on what you want to delete.

There is> @AndyPlankton said:

@hellquist said:

Thanks, that'd be great, if you have the time. Have been exploring various apps in a similar set-up a bit myself, based on the awesomeness of both ModStep and AUM, so was curious on how you set up Blocs and Launchpad to have it integrate (if they do). Just from cursory looks it looks like a nice qua-mbo (as opposed to combo, which is 2) but I have yet to find if Blocs or Launchpad will respond to external (app) midi control in any way.

For example, it looks like there is an IAP for Launchpad for midi sync out, but I have yet to find if I could midi learn the transport controls in Blocs/Launchpad or indeed if I can start/stop clips to play (or record, where applicable) controlled from for example ModStep. I shall keep digging though. I should probably purchase Blocs, it helps when trying to work out functionality. :)

Brilliant! Off to work I go...

• Congratulations. A mind blowing update! Listening to the users can work. And we remember the devs that do it ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@hellquist said:

Indeed. It used to be my job, but it sort of went away. Now it is back, as a hobby, whilst I do grown-up things.
    I think more of us would strive to find our sweet spot in Ikigai. :smile:

• oh wow! what an amazing update! so many new features packed in one update. this is like a whole new app to me. great job devs

• @hellquist - Yeah that's about it, I am in the profession box, used to be in the cross between profession and passion, but I now have same job, different industry, never really had a passion for this :/
    Shhh....don't tell my boss LOL

• edited April 2016

@gburks said:

I haven't gotten a chance to play with the update but for me, the previous version wasn't exactly a hands free looper. For that it would need "one click" looping to start recording, automatic clip length based on how many bars you played, and one more click to stop recording and start looping. You know, like Loopy does for audio.

Does this update give it automatic clip lengths? Do you still have to do multiple taps to create a clip, then start it playing, then start it recording?

I don't think it will work as a blind midi looper for recording in the way you describe.

You still need to specify the number of patterns/'bars' you want your clip to be, there is an option to specify the default number of patterns for a new clip, i put 'bar' in quotes because depending on your playback speed selection a pattern won't necessarily be a bar.

I haven't tried using it blind for recording, only for playback and tweaking with controllers but live recording is possible from controllers, but it still requires creating the tracks and empty parts ahead of time and mapping them to pads, record and arm are mappable also.

@cblomert Any plans for this sort of functionality ?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    A great idea for newbies like me, would be an optional, able to enable/disable in menu, a feature for labels to come up when you hover over an icon. This would help so much with learning and work flow. Of course, those experts could just turn off this feature in the menu. Just my two cents for a possible future update.

Agreed, I like those options a lot, addictive synth has that, as do others, and it's great!

• Had a little go this morning. Solid update. I'm finding the whole app much more usable and reliable.

Anyone figure out how to import chords into the chord pad templates? I tried arming a track and pressing the capture button then playing in chords from Navichord but no go. Would be amazing to be able to bring in chords from an external source.

• @hellquist said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@hellquist said:

Indeed. It used to be my job, but it sort of went away. Now it is back, as a hobby, whilst I do grown-up things.
    I think more of us would strive to find our sweet spot in Ikigai. :smile:

Cool diagram. 'That which the world needs' is the most painful part to me.

• UPDATE:

I spent some time with M-Step.

Honestly, I am impressed.

Even a curmudgeon like me can say there has been serious improvements.

Just a little explanation on the IAA details, arming, and MIDI channel situation and this may actually be a go.

Big Picture stuff may actually help.

What is the intended use of this app?

I mean for me, I am not sure what the goal of this app is? I am looking to replace Genome with advanced higher end model with more bells and whistles. I also am down to ditch my DAW to eliminate a heavy burden. So, what role does this app have in this sort of scenario?

Audiobus or not really?

Is it ideal to record the audio into this app or use a DAW or just a recording app?

Is this meant replace DAW?

Do the developers see AUM a good fit with MOD or too many too many multiple moving channels and parts?

What is the primary objective and original purpose the brainchild of this app had intended?

Maybe if I(we) know that, it can help in how I approach it?

Kind of deductive reasoning. Lets go from you know to what I don't and build momentum.....................

Thanks for reading my feedback and opinion.

• It just seems impossible that this many people feel so similar with out some sort of issue needing addressing.

Especially cuz no one is hatin', just wantin' to love!

• Be nice if l could copy between automation cells.

• @Aphex said:

@Nerk_ said:
    @Aphex : all the Volcas (except for the Volca FM, but that´s coming soon) are available with all there CCs in modstep. But it´s also very easy to create your own template if there is some piece of gear you are missing.

Thanx for the info, is all i need for buy it!!

• edited April 2016

@RustiK said:
    UPDATE:

I spent some time with M-Step.

Honestly, I am impressed.

Even a curmudgeon like me can say there has been serious improvements.

Just a little explanation on the IAA details, arming, and MIDI channel situation and this may actually be a go.

Big Picture stuff may actually help.

What is the intended use of this app?

I mean for me, I am not sure what the goal of this app is? I am looking to replace Genome with advanced higher end model with more bells and whistles. I also am down to ditch my DAW to eliminate a heavy burden. So, what role does this app have in this sort of scenario?

Audiobus or not really?

Is it ideal to record the audio into this app or use a DAW or just a recording app?

Is this meant replace DAW?

Do the developers see AUM a good fit with MOD or too many too many multiple moving channels and parts?

What is the primary objective and original purpose the brainchild of this app had intended?

Maybe if I(we) know that, it can help in how I approach it?

Kind of deductive reasoning. Lets go from you know to what I don't and build momentum.....................

Thanks for reading my feedback and opinion.

I don't see Modstep as a single comprehensive birth to the grave solution for a track or a companion to another specific tool but rather a collection of possibilities. Like this...

or this...

...different craftspeople and artists will pick and choose differently and bring their own existing tools to the table as well.

• @ecamburn said:
    Had a little go this morning. Solid update. I'm finding the whole app much more usable and reliable.

Anyone figure out how to import chords into the chord pad templates? I tried arming a track and pressing the capture button then playing in chords from Navichord but no go. Would be amazing to be able to bring in chords from an external source.

Not sure if this should work, I haven't tried it, but it works with the internal keyboard. Don't have a keyboard here with me to try it for you.

Have you checked the midi setup (under the gear icon) to check that Navichord is enabled as a midi note source device and that modstep is set as midi note destination ? the icons with musical notes on it should be circled.

• @AndyPlankton said:

Have you checked the midi setup (under the gear icon) to check that Navichord is enabled as a midi note source device and that modstep is set as midi note destination ? the icons with musical notes on it should be circled.

Yeah midi from navi is definitely making it in to modstep. Will keep playing around with it.

• The only real issue I found is that the AUs don't save states. Someone already mentioned that in here. I hope that'll get fixed. Other than that, this is the best iOS clip launching midi sequencer by a lot.

• @firejan82 said:
    The only real issue I found is that the AUs don't save states. Someone already mentioned that in here. I hope that'll get fixed. Other than that, this is the best iOS clip launching midi sequencer by a lot.

Not just that, I do not have idea on how to off the iSem AU internal sequencer to stop playing itself!

• @Kaikoo2 said:

@firejan82 said:
    The only real issue I found is that the AUs don't save states. Someone already mentioned that in here. I hope that'll get fixed. Other than that, this is the best iOS clip launching midi sequencer by a lot.

Not just that, I do not have idea on how to off the iSem AU internal sequencer to stop playing itself!

You probably have the iSEM Arpegiator set to HOLD.

• @Kaikoo2 said:

@firejan82 said:

Kaikoo! Kaikoo is that u? It says 2, a new you?
    Welcome back

• Or there's two of them? :o