Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep 1.1

Comments

• edited April 2016

Another quick question:
    Any way to disable the new 'direct to piano roll' shortcuts? I like how they speed up workflow but for playing live, while splitting my attention in about 6 different directions I'd rather not risk hitting them by mistake.

EDIT:
    Had a closer look at patch notes and saw that it exists. Will have a deeper play with new version.

• Thanks for finding a workaround to my problem. Look forward to the bug fixed update soon.

• edited April 2016

@OscarSouth said:

@supadom said:
    Ok, so I didn't get the v 1. It got so appealing reviews that it was easy to resist. I've just checked the uk AppStore and reviews are still pretty damning. Of course they're all for v 1 so I'm guessing all is good in .1 but is it?

Also is modstep more problematic on some devices more than others?

I guess I should just perch on the fence and listen to your chatter.

Most people just want instant gratification with apps that do one specific thing well, for a low price tag. I think this is the only main for the modstep abuse that you see, because it really is by far the most serious and fully featured performance tool on the platform. Yeah, it's slightly harder to learn than most other apps and slightly more expensive; it's a serious tool and people who treat it that way will be able to take it more than 'slightly' further than anything else available on iOS.

Most of the complaints actually related to crashes rather that learning curve. I'll probably hold off just a little longer.

• @cblomert said:
    eross: we included audioshare import for samples! :)

friken sweet! awwww I can't wait to try it out!

• @supadom said:

@OscarSouth said:

@supadom said:
    Ok, so I didn't get the v 1. It got so appealing reviews that it was easy to resist. I've just checked the uk AppStore and reviews are still pretty damning. Of course they're all for v 1 so I'm guessing all is good in .1 but is it?

Most people just want instant gratification with apps that do one specific thing well, for a low price tag. I think this is the only main for the modstep abuse that you see, because it really is by far the most serious and fully featured performance tool on the platform. Yeah, it's slightly harder to learn than most other apps and slightly more expensive; it's a serious tool and people who treat it that way will be able to take it more than 'slightly' further than anything else available on iOS.

Most of the complaints actually related to crashes rather that learning curve. I'll probably hold off just a little longer.

I think it might depend what you are using it for.

Anything with lots of AUs and IAAs running is, in my experience, bound to be a little bit crashy because of those technologies.

However, using ModStep purely for multitrack clip based midi out, pointed at Gadget (on another device actually), I don't think I've had one crash. It's super solid used this way, in my opinion.

I also really like the fact it seems to remember all the virtual midi port mappings. So when you come back to a session you just pick up where you left off without having to connect all the midi again.

As a midi sequencer I think it's pretty amazing.

• A very impressive update indeed !
    One new feature which interests me the most is, if I understand correctly, the possibility to have Audiobus as an input in MODSTEP (it says : ModSTEP can now receive audio via Audiobus). I am a little bit clumbsy but I didn't found to configure that (I now how to load MODSTEP as an input in Audiobus but Audiobus as an input in MODSTEP.... Mystery!)
    Could you please give me a hand on this one ?
    Thanks !

• edited April 2016

@supadom said:

I got it more less right away and was honestly just kind of semi-peeved for a couple days by all the crashing but clearly the idea and intention was awesome. Then the updates and fixes rolled in right away with lots of forum chat with the dev etc etc. It got 90% more stable FAST. I was super impressed by what I thought was the first 'major update' with 'multi-app clip-quantised' recording that seemed to follow like a month or so later.

This new update, while I have not tried it, on paper brings it to a whole level I didn't expect.

I don't have any specific exectations with Modstep updates now as they are ahead of my yearnings by several miles. But yah, it is awesome, useful and keeps me thinking of and planning new ways of approaching this whole music making thing. (Oh I am on an air and it is super stable last couple months, IAApple though is... well... we all know...)

• @OscarSouth said:

@cblomert said:
    hey crifty: confirmed, we'll send up a bugfix update tomorrow that takes care of this issue :) cheers

Quick question while I see that you're actively posting. I've more of less sussed modstep out after buying it last week, but I can't work out out audio routing works.

I've tried with Synth and Sampler in slots 1 and 2 in modstep and Modstep 1 & 2 in AUM or AB, but they don't seem to relate to individual sources or affect anything at all really. In fact modstep doesn't respond to any fader in AUM. The audio just seems to come from 'nowhere', doesn't respond to any control in AUM and I've got no idea how that is even possible.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
    1. How can I get modstep's audio into AUM in a way that AUM is processing it, and I can control with AUMs faders etc.
    2. Is it possible to have different modstep internal sources coming into AUM through different isolated channels.

I saw this too. I think you have to create the channel in AUM first and then in Modstep. I don't have it in front of me right now but I had it working great.

Some of the problems people are having are simply from not RTFM. It's a complex app that requires some study. I haven't gotten into the update yet but I can't wait!

• @cyril777 said:
    A very impressive update indeed !
    One new feature which interests me the most is, if I understand correctly, the possibility to have Audiobus as an input in MODSTEP (it says : ModSTEP can now receive audio via Audiobus). I am a little bit clumbsy but I didn't found to configure that (I now how to load MODSTEP as an input in Audiobus but Audiobus as an input in MODSTEP.... Mystery!)
    Could you please give me a hand on this one ?
    Thanks !

You can put Modstep into the output slot in Audiobus .....

• Cheers guys @Matt_Fletcher_2000 @AudioGus

I think this is exactly what I wanted to hear. The fact that it retains midi settings is definitely great as time spent messing with cables is stolen from the time making music.

Anyway I'm getting it. It's been a while since I've bought a major app.

Cheers

• It's not really about not having RTFM in many cases, though. Modstep is by no means a complex app, with its design having been well thought out. The problems are with things like Midi sources & destinations not showing up, IAA sync not working (when the same apps sync perfectly in other hosts), the master scene launch down the right side freezing up, hung notes, crashes....

I have realised that, perhaps, Modstep is indeed best employed as a purely MIDI-focuses sequencer. Definitely going to try it just driving my hardware, without the instability that IAA apparently brings.

• @anickt said:

@OscarSouth said:

@cblomert said:
    hey crifty: confirmed, we'll send up a bugfix update tomorrow that takes care of this issue :) cheers

Quick question while I see that you're actively posting. I've more of less sussed modstep out after buying it last week, but I can't work out out audio routing works.

I've tried with Synth and Sampler in slots 1 and 2 in modstep and Modstep 1 & 2 in AUM or AB, but they don't seem to relate to individual sources or affect anything at all really. In fact modstep doesn't respond to any fader in AUM. The audio just seems to come from 'nowhere', doesn't respond to any control in AUM and I've got no idea how that is even possible.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
    1. How can I get modstep's audio into AUM in a way that AUM is processing it, and I can control with AUMs faders etc.
    2. Is it possible to have different modstep internal sources coming into AUM through different isolated channels.

I saw this too. I think you have to create the channel in AUM first and then in Modstep. I don't have it in front of me right now but I had it working great.

Some of the problems people are having are simply from not RTFM. It's a complex app that requires some study. I haven't gotten into the update yet but I can't wait!

Cheers, will have a play. I think that this is the case though as my launch process is always Audiobus->Load preset, AUM->Load preset, then everything else.

Can you specify what you mean by 'creating the channel in modstep'? (or am I misreading your message?)

• @sleepless said:
    It's not really about not having RTFM in many cases, though. Modstep is by no means a complex app, with its design having been well thought out. The problems are with things like Midi sources & destinations not showing up, IAA sync not working (when the same apps sync perfectly in other hosts), the master scene launch down the right side freezing up, hung notes, crashes....

I have realised that, perhaps, Modstep is indeed best employed as a purely MIDI-focuses sequencer. Definitely going to try it just driving my hardware, without the instability that IAA apparently brings.

I load the IAA synths into AUM and drive them from Modstep. Works great.

• edited April 2016

I'm glad that there are apps out there such as modstep, which push things to the next level and demand a professional approach to a professional tool.

That said, I feel it's still 99% of the way there as there are a few bugs (such as in my previous post!) and workflow issues left, but we're living in a better world for having people as ambitious as the modstep dev team trying to create genuinely professional level tools on iOS.

• Looking more info of this sequencer can anyone please post the screenshot of the template of korg volca bass for see the parameters and tell me if the volca keys is avaliable too.
    Thanx :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Korakios said:
    So now, can Modstep be used as Audio or midi Looper? Meaning without even touching the ipad, using a midi controller.

You can midi learn each clip and or scene to enable launching from a controller yes. You can also midi learn the mixer controls too.

I haven't gotten a chance to play with the update but for me, the previous version wasn't exactly a hands free looper. For that it would need "one click" looping to start recording, automatic clip length based on how many bars you played, and one more click to stop recording and start looping. You know, like Loopy does for audio.

Does this update give it automatic clip lengths? Do you still have to do multiple taps to create a clip, then start it playing, then start it recording?

• Got it. No regrets whatsoever. Smooth performance so far. Couldn't get MS pads to control sounds in elastic drums nor dm1. Isem works as expected though.

• Well, getting much more satisfying results when using it only for MIDI, sending notes out to apps in AUM or hardware! Massive improvement over v1. Some slight quirkiness in the way quantising sometimes behaves but nothing show-stopping.

• @supadom said:
    Got it. No regrets whatsoever. Smooth performance so far. Couldn't get MS pads to control sounds in elastic drums nor dm1. Isem works as expected though.

I too am having trouble with sending notes to Seekbeats. And, for some reason, the TR8 template isn't mapped to the right notes on my hardware (although the CC mod bit works fine).

• Never had Modstep. Just got it too. When I first loaded it up the very first time.....My jaw almost hit the floor!!!! That is how amazingly AWESOME this app is. Professional. This should be called Modstep PRO, in the true sense of the word! I love it and cant wait to learn from all the Modsters around here. Keep on keeping on Modsters!!!!!

Rock on!

@supadom said:
    Cheers guys @Matt_Fletcher_2000 @AudioGus

I think this is exactly what I wanted to hear. The fact that it retains midi settings is definitely great as time spent messing with cables is stolen from the time making music.

Anyway I'm getting it. It's been a while since I've bought a major app.

Cheers

• @OscarSouth : You can deactivate the Enter Clip Shortcut by going in the Settings and deactivating "Show Enter Clip Shortcut"
    @sleepless: Please try to change the Relative Octave of the Pads in the Template Editor. And what´s your issue with quantizing?

• 'Added midi indicators' :) it's the simple things. Wish more apps did this

• @Aphex : all the Volcas (except for the Volca FM, but that´s coming soon) are available with all there CCs in modstep. But it´s also very easy to create your own template if there is some piece of gear you are missing.

• @Nerk_ said:
    @OscarSouth : You can deactivate the Enter Clip Shortcut by going in the Settings and deactivating "Show Enter Clip Shortcut"

Cheers. I had a closer look in the app and saw this before but thanks for responding.

The biggest issue that I had was not being able to get modstep's audio to work properly with Audiobus and AUM. Is this a known issue? How should I properly set it up to be hosted in Audiobus and mixed with AUM?

Thanks,
    Oscar

• @Nerk_ Quantising an already quantised selection of notes results in an alteration of some of the notes therein.

• edited April 2016

@supadom said:
    Got it. No regrets whatsoever. Smooth performance so far. Couldn't get MS pads to control sounds in elastic drums nor dm1. Isem works as expected though.

Interested in how far you take it as it says here in your file that you're a mad looping bastard.

• @Carnbot said:
    Scene and clip pop up settings are much improved....

Wow. Just that is enough to make me jump back in. Nice work MS team! That includes you lovely testers.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

Interested in how far you take it as it says here in your file that you're a mad looping bastard.

Looping yes, sequencing not. I'd love to assimilate this matrix - style but we haven't evolved as far yet and imminent house move means I can only dabble with the shallow end of this.. Also the lack of (or my inability to find) any serious tutorial videos makes this a bit of a tap and see kind of exercise. So far I've managed to get some grooves going but the CC section leaves me totally wide eyed. I probably should consult the manual.

This UI definitely needs muscle memory type of learning. It in many ways reminds me of the old pal Beatmaker 2, which once learned, became my absolute best friend and we spent many happy months together. During the time when there was time.

I have no doubt some serious tutorial material is going to drop soon.

• The keyboard addition makes this much more useable. A quick 10 minute play with the update was the most productive I've been with this app since purchasing Modstep when first released. Things seem to make more sense. Very happy with the short test I did. Great stuff!

• @supadom said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@supadom said:

Looping yes, sequencing not. I'd love to assimilate this matrix - style but we haven't evolved as far yet and imminent house move means I can only dabble with the shallow end of this.. Also the lack of (or my inability to find) any serious tutorial videos makes this a bit of a tap and see kind of exercise. So far I've managed to get some grooves going but the CC section leaves me totally wide eyed. I probably should consult the manual.

This UI definitely needs muscle memory type of learning. It in many ways reminds me of the old pal Beatmaker 2, which once learned, became my absolute best friend and we spent many happy months together. During the time when there was time.

I have no doubt some serious tutorial material is going to drop soon.

I hear you (on a number of fronts). Would certainly welcome some straightforward 'This Is Block A, This Is Block B' videos. I am taken with @Reid's approach to Drum Perfect Pro, perhaps there is some other patient teacher out there willing to flex their skills in the service of the numbskulls etc.