Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep 1.1

Comments

• This is an amazing update. Thanks.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Wally said:
    @Nerk_ thanks , I was posting initial impressions , will delve deeper into Controls whilst awaiting tutorials .

@JohnnyGoodyear "the jelly feeling " was describing the specific touch graphic issue of a scrolling list item unwantedly becoming dragged across the screen.
    But yes generally there is a learning curve to Modstep , & as I pointed out in another Modstep vs Cream differences thread , for me the minimalist , icon & gesture based GUI of Modstep is more difficult to understand than a screenful of skeumorphic labelled buttons & knobs . I'm not a fan of IOS minimal aesthetics , staring at emptiness wondering what hidden gesture is needed to make something work , I'd much rather stare at a visually complex but LABELLED screen .

I tend to agree, however I am willing to learn if there are resources to help me. A clear updated manual for sure, a collected and cogent FAQ, and -for me- more than anything a 'from the basics on up' video(s).

You would be very lucky to get instant gratification from modStep. It does take a little effort to get your head into the right space when first picking it up, not much though if you already understand sequencers and Midi control, The control you get from ModStep is immense.

There are a lot of things in the new interface that make it a lot more intuitive, particularly in the midi routing and IAA/AU/Effects area. When working with hosted IAA and AU it is now as simple as open the chain, open the browser and drag onto the chain from the browser, instead of all this being hidden in a popup that you accessed via a long press which was previously the case.

The MIDI import export is also a hugely useful addition, it makes moving projects and clips between apps far easier than trying to MIDI record them.

The new follow on actions and loop setting for scenes and clips has made the whole song building experience more Gadget like in that you can set up an entire song that will play from end to end, but with the added flexibility of being able to select individual clips for playback/stop in realtime during the song playback, so allowing you to break out from your pre-defined path (something that led to me deleting Gadget, once I put a structure in, I felt like I was then on rails)

I defy anyone, who has put the effort in, to say that they do not find ModStep a very useful weapon in their music making armoury.
    I have said elsewhere on here that the combination of ModStep, blocs wave, AUM and Launchpad allows me to work in may different ways, enabling a workflow to suit the material I am producing at the time but using the same basic tools, which means once I've learned it, it goes towards anything I will do in the future. These four apps are the scaffolding that I can use to build anything I want.

Pure awesomeness!

• So now, can Modstep be used as Audio or midi Looper? Meaning without even touching the ipad, using a midi controller.

• Get me a couple of beers inside me later tonight and yes this will be me, but with Launchpad in hand, launching ModStep clips :)

• @Wally said:
    @cblomert thanks for your response

However ,the scroll/ drag issue I mentioned was from testing todays release , so I suggest it needs even longer hold to stop this happening .

Thanks.

@Wally, I'm with you on this. An even longer long-press next time around, please. There must be a bit of a convention among apps by now, although I have noticed that the handy long-press seems to be more common in the Android world than the iOS world.

• edited April 2016

@Korakios said:
    So now, can Modstep be used as Audio or midi Looper? Meaning without even touching the ipad, using a midi controller.

You can midi learn each clip and or scene to enable launching from a controller yes. You can also midi learn the mixer controls too.

• So now I will start buying AUs.

Amazing update.... and I was more than happy with it already!

• @Korakios : Just connect your controller and tap "MIDI MAP" next to the Settings button to control pretty much all features externally. You can find a list of assignable controls at the end of the manual.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Korakios said:
    So now, can Modstep be used as Audio or midi Looper? Meaning without even touching the ipad, using a midi controller.

You can midi learn each clip and or scene to enable launching from a controller yes. You can also midi learn the mixer controls too.

Thank you very much. :)

@Nerk_ said:
    @Korakios : Just connect your controller and tap "MIDI MAP" next to the Settings button to control pretty much all features externally. You can find a list of assignable controls at the end of the manual.

I haven't bought Modestep yet ,need to make sure that I can use it on-the-fly. Reading the manual I see you can assign midi to the "arm" and "record" buttons and trigger clips. So I suppose I can remotely record or overdub

• edited April 2016

@cblomert said:
    To celebrate the release, modstep will be on sale for $14,99 until monday.

Exactly what I've been waiting for, and I'm buying IMMEDIATELY.

THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!

In the meantime, I've acquired a minibrute and two volcas, so see you guys some time in the fall!

Update: Transaction complete. Thank you for the sale!

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@cblomert said:
    To celebrate the release, modstep will be on sale for $14,99 until monday.

Exactly what I've been waiting for, and I'm buying IMMEDIATELY.

THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!

In the meantime, I've acquired a minibrute and two volcas, so see you guys some time in the fall!

Update: Transaction complete. Thank you for the sale!

Good. Another n00b. Please sweat blood and bang in nails with you head. Will follow your lead etc.

• Any recommendations?

@AudioGus said:
    So now I will start buying AUs.

Amazing update.... and I was more than happy with it already!

• Unfortunately, not too many AUs out there, but here is what i know is available: NS1, iSEM, Viking Synth, KQ MiniSynth, Zero Reverb, Zero Chorus, DC-9 Overdrive, Resampler, F-16 Filter, RP1 and MicSwap - Mic Emulator. Except for RP1, they all work within modstep, but you can use RP1 as an AU without problems.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    cogent FAQ

You're so cute. Remember when people used to write FAQs? B)

• Sorry, i meant "use RP1 as an IAA"

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    cogent FAQ

You're so cute. Remember when people used to write FAQs? B)

But I have so many questions Doctor and, you know, frequently....

• As i said before, the FAQ should be there after the weekend:) What are your most pressing questions?

• edited April 2016

Sent as an email, but the dev seems to be here so:

Huge update! Worth the waiting. This one is becoming a monster.

Few things though:

1- I should have been accepted as a beta tester ;), even though I was late… ;)

here is some feedback on the update:

-When keyboard is activated, would be nice to be able to scroll the clip screen all the way up to see the content behind it and have access to whats hidden behind, like clips, and track controls: arm, solo, volume…
    Perhaps would be nice also to be able to resize piano, or slide it down partially.

-I notice an empty area in the keyboard window: I hope that it is to put in there the tools hidden by keyboard from the current screen such as:
    - for clip screen: transport button: arm, mute, solo, mixer, chain
    - for piano roll: mods, scale, velocity, controls
    - for step sequencing screen: XY pads

Having at least a play/stop button and a clip selector (4 arrows in circle) in the keyboard would be very useful. Now I have to turn the keyboard on and off all the time to start clip.

One big issu related to that: clip should be able to be selected and play/stopped from every screen: there is currently no way to do that from the synth or sampler screen!

• In the step sequencer screen, when pressing in the little pop up window brought by the arrow circle to select clips, the screen turn to black with a red frame pulsating, then I have to shut the app down cause I get stuck there.

-On keyboard: a gray color key for base note would be nice also when in scale mode.

-When zooming horizontally in the piano roll, would be nice to have a visual indication of bars limits, and to make the zoom snap to the grid size.

-Would be nice if in the piano roll, clip portion (top row) could be turned on/off by sliding through them, instead of toggling them one by one.

-Would be nice to be able to do things with AU windows like in AUM ;) (sorry got spoiled), like moving it, having access to presets right from it in a scrolling menu, so I could use the keyboard while going through them. At least, being able to close the AU window, from the window itself.

-I wonder what the Loopy HD pads template is for ??

-For non midi IAA instruments, like sequencer and audio looper, would be nice to have their transport button showing in the clip launcher, so they could be at least started and stopped. Especially for Link enabled app.

Besides that, THANK YOU and congrats for this huge update. Very impressive!

Are we ever going to see Audio clips?! Since the app can record perfect loops, we’re not far from there ;). Would be totally awesome!!!!

Thanks again

• Ok, so everyone's happy, so I must be doing something wrong.

Every time I press load mid it crashes.

• Hey Bianca: could you send us the midi file in question? at best to [email protected]
    Cheers!

• I haven't had a chance to get to my iPad to do the update yet, but does anybody know if they implemented an easier way of importing samples into modstep(vs. iTunes file sharing)? say audioshare or audio paste?

• eross: we included audioshare import for samples! :)

• Modstep was awesome the first time around...now I'm pretty much speechless B)

• Ok, so I didn't get the v 1. It got so appealing reviews that it was easy to resist. I've just checked the uk AppStore and reviews are still pretty damning. Of course they're all for v 1 so I'm guessing all is good in .1 but is it?

Also is modstep more problematic on some devices more than others?

I guess I should just perch on the fence and listen to your chatter.

• edited April 2016

@cblomert said:
    Hey Bianca: could you send us the midi file in question? at best to [email protected]
    Cheers!

Sent it.

• Super powers! thank you for this app.
    Niggle; when copying a clip an immediate slide doesn't grab. I think it should especially as long press opens properties.
    and Quantise doesn't snap to all bar divisions :( Please open the beta testing again

• @supadom said:
    Ok, so I didn't get the v 1. It got so appealing reviews that it was easy to resist. I've just checked the uk AppStore and reviews are still pretty damning. Of course they're all for v 1 so I'm guessing all is good in .1 but is it?

Also is modstep more problematic on some devices more than others?

I guess I should just perch on the fence and listen to your chatter.

Most people just want instant gratification with apps that do one specific thing well, for a low price tag. I think this is the only main for the modstep abuse that you see, because it really is by far the most serious and fully featured performance tool on the platform. Yeah, it's slightly harder to learn than most other apps and slightly more expensive; it's a serious tool and people who treat it that way will be able to take it more than 'slightly' further than anything else available on iOS.

• hey crifty: confirmed, we'll send up a bugfix update tomorrow that takes care of this issue :) cheers

• Has anyone figured out how to import midi clips from Dropbox or audio share ? Trying to get a chord progression from suggester into mod step without touching a pc to no avail.....

• @cblomert said:
    hey crifty: confirmed, we'll send up a bugfix update tomorrow that takes care of this issue :) cheers

Quick question while I see that you're actively posting. I've more of less sussed modstep out after buying it last week, but I can't work out out audio routing works.

I've tried with Synth and Sampler in slots 1 and 2 in modstep and Modstep 1 & 2 in AUM or AB, but they don't seem to relate to individual sources or affect anything at all really. In fact modstep doesn't respond to any fader in AUM. The audio just seems to come from 'nowhere', doesn't respond to any control in AUM and I've got no idea how that is even possible.

Can anyone clear this up for me?
    1. How can I get modstep's audio into AUM in a way that AUM is processing it, and I can control with AUMs faders etc.
    2. Is it possible to have different modstep internal sources coming into AUM through different isolated channels.