Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help, No midi. Doesn't wanna work :(

Need some help/thoughts please. I made a video of me attempting to play a midi keyboard through my ipad. Specifically the Rock Band 3 one. With a generic midi innerface. I can't get any sound out of the midi keyboard.
I even tried hooking it up to my computer and used Synthmaster as a plug-in in Reaper. Still couldn't hear anything? The computer downloaded the driver(s)/software it needed.
So if you have the time, and know anything about this midi crap, take a look at my video, and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I am thinking I need to return the keyboard and midi innerface cuz they don't work right, or not at all?

Here's a video of me showing exactly how I hook things up.

Comments

• edited April 2016

If your midi interface needs drivers there is little chance of it working with an iPad. You need to get an usb class complient midi interface - this means it doesn't need drivers to work.
    Have u tried on all 16 ch.?
    Switch the app through all midi channels

Btw. You know that midi just sends control messages (key pressed, knob turned, ...)- no audio?

Probably not what you wanted to hear.
    :cookie:

• @High5denied - There are a couple of videos on Youtube showing the Rock Band 3 Keyboard being used as a Midi keyboard, so it should work. As @lala said, if the USB Midi interface needs drivers, then it won't work with an iOS device. So that is most likely your problem. The USB Midi cable/adapter/interfave must be USB Class Compliant to work with iOS via the CCK.

The only other hints I can add are:

The Rock Band 3 keyboard only has Midi out so make sure you are connecting the correct Midi cable from the Midi interface.

It might be easy to see if the midi interface is recognized by using something like "Midi Monitor" . the midi device should show up on its display when you start the app.

Also, if your Music App has the choise of input midi channels, selecting Omni will allow it to listen to all the channels at once. Not all apps have this choice and not all apps even give you a choice, but it helps remove some of the searching to begin with.

• Thanks guys. From what I have read, and know(which isn't much) the device I bought should be usb class compliant. I've read of other's via the ipad musicians page that have used it and it worked, according to them. I guess what the thing does when hooked to a computer is download some generic drivers or something? So it doesn't need them when hooked to the ipad? I don't know this is all over my head.

I just wanted an inexpensive way to play Keyboard through my ipad instead of always using my ipad screen. When I type this into Amazon: usb class complient midi interface, I get a lot of options, obviously. More than half of them are the midi innerface/device thing I bought to go along with my keytar. Most of them get good reviews, they all appear to be the same. Just a re-branding of the same device.

What can I get that will work for under $20.00?

• edited April 2016

I don't know what you downloaded and installed. Maybe some firmware update? you can't install drivers on iOS ...
    Try the midi monitor app, it used to be free, connect the cck with the interface and the keyboard and look if midi monitor is seeing the interface, press a few keys, if it works midi monitor will show you what midi messages arrived...

• @lala said:
    I don't know what you downloaded and installed. Maybe some firmware update? you can't install drivers on iOS ...
    Try the midi monitor app, it used to be free, connect the cck with the interface and the keyboard and look if midi monitor is seeing the interface, press a few keys, if it works midi monitor will show you what midi messages arrived...

Oh no, I meant on my computer when I tried to use it with reaper and desk top synthmaster.

• thanks I will look into midi monitor. I think some one on FB mentioned that as well.

• U r welcome.

• I have the Rock Band 3 keyboard too - for me, it just worked but I have it going through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 which is iPad compatible... The keyboard only outputs on MIDI channel 1 so make sure your software is set to ch1 or omni. I think your problem is that midi interface you have - either it's not class compliant for iDevices or there is something wrong with it (or you are using the wrong midi socket?!). When you plug in the keyboard to a computer or iPad via interface, you should get a solid light (red?) and I can see from your video that all the lights are flashing on it constantly. I think there is a "reset" option - something like holding down back/guide/start buttons all together - may help. Do you have another midi interface to test with?

• @Durwin99 said:
    I have the Rock Band 3 keyboard too - for me, it just worked but I have it going through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 which is iPad compatible... The keyboard only outputs on MIDI channel 1 so make sure your software is set to ch1 or omni. I think your problem is that midi interface you have - either it's not class compliant for iDevices or there is something wrong with it (or you are using the wrong midi socket?!). When you plug in the keyboard to a computer or iPad via interface, you should get a solid light (red?) and I can see from your video that all the lights are flashing on it constantly. I think there is a "reset" option - something like holding down back/guide/start buttons all together - may help. Do you have another midi interface to test with?

Thanks for the info. I think the interface is my prob. Too. So I ordered a different one. Should be here tomorrow. Had to spend more on it then the keyboard. I do have a Focusrite 2i4, but no other midi cables to test it out.