Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy no longer responds to cc command to record without count in

edited March 2016 in Support and Feedback

I've posted this on loopy forum but there's more traffic here.

As per title. I think this happened since 9.3 update but can't be sure as I've only just noticed it. One thing I did was to update Audiobus to the latest beta but I doubt that's the reason. I've rebooted the iPad and reassigned the midi controller but the same problem persists. When I trigger the cc it starts recording immediately but records for the set number of bars rather than until I press again.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Comments

• All fixed now....by itself.

• I spread some magic pixie dust on it while you weren't looking.

• I've been experiencing something similar, related to punching in without preroll/count in.

I'm using a Behringer FCB1010 to send CC to Loopy HD on iPad Air 2, iOS 9.3.1

For testing and as backup, I aso have Loopy on an iPad 2 with iOS 8.3 and on an iPhone 6S (iOs 9.3)

Interfaces include iConnectAudio4 and iConnectMIDI4+, both with latest firmware.

Until very recently, all has been working well. Rock solid stable since Sept 2015.

Recently however, a problem has occurred which causes a lag of approx 1 second before punch in commences when I punch in to record a loop. The same lag also occurs when punching out. I dont use pre-roll - I use immediate punch in and immediate punch out. The lag is a showstopper problem.

Two things have significantly changed - I've swapped an iPad4 for an iPad Air2, and I've upgraded from iOS 8.3 to iOS 9.3.1

I'm using Loopy 1.5.3

MIDI Clock is working fine. The lag occurs when using external or internal MIDI clock ie it doesnt seem related to MIDI Clock.

I assumed the lag problem was the (now fixed in 9.3.1?) known latency issue related to iOS9.x, but after further testing it seems related to a lag in receiving the MIDI CC rather than an audio latency problem. If I engage record via the touchscreen, no lag results.

I'm starting to suspect something has gone awry with the FCB1010.

The FCB1010 has been rock solid for at least two years, so it didnt initially occur to me that the FCB1010 might be the culprit. I'm now wondering if I misdiagnosed the situation.

My question: has anyone here experienced a problem with the FCB1010 which manifests as a lag before a CC is processed by a connected device?

Thanks!

• Have you tried messing with these settings? Maybe they got reset after you've migrated between iPads?

• I'm having some other problems with Loopy HD on 9.3 now:

1. The most serious one is that I still get the 1 second audio lag when LINK is on. It works for a little while and then it starts scrambling everything. It doesn't happen with LINK disabled.
    2. My iRig BlueBoard, which just had the firmware updated for general MIDI over BT support sends the notes C, D, E and F but when I try to set up bindings in Loopy strangely all triggers are detected as C-1.
    3. I had some other weird things happen in the MIDI configuration like not being able to change the selection of sources without quitting the app.

So I think there's definitely something wrong with Loopy HD at the moment. I hope @Michael can still dedicate some time to this while working on masterpiece and AB3.

• @Munibeast said:
    I'm having some other problems with Loopy HD on 9.3 now:

1. The most serious one is that I still get the 1 second audio lag when LINK is on. It works for a little while and then it starts scrambling everything. It doesn't happen with LINK disabled.
    2. My iRig BlueBoard, which just had the firmware updated for general MIDI over BT support sends the notes C, D, E and F but when I try to set up bindings in Loopy strangely all triggers are detected as C-1.
    3. I had some other weird things happen in the MIDI configuration like not being able to change the selection of sources without quitting the app.

So I think there's definitely something wrong with Loopy HD at the moment. I hope @Michael can still dedicate some time to this while working on masterpiece and AB3.

Sorry to hear that man. Hope you're not relying on loopy for gigging etc. There's nothing worse than your rig falling apart like that.

Because of this I have 2 iPads now, one for playing (8.4) and one for testing (latest). I don't have any issues other than the one that just sorted itself out. Despite what people say I still find 8.4 better than 9.3 as far as my rig is concerned.

What iPad are you using?

• Yeah, that's a big PITA! I've got this and the other thread marked for some attention over the next day or two.

• @Michael said:
    Yeah, that's a big PITA! I've got this and the other thread marked for some attention over the next day or two.

Great, thanks. I thought it fixed itself but looks like I just got confused between the two ipads I use.

Hope not too much of a PITA, I prefer naan!

• Naan is so much more delicious than debugging.

Oh! so:

When I trigger the cc it starts recording immediately but records for the set number of bars rather than until I press again.

...this is still happening?

• @Michael said:
    Naan is so much more delicious than debugging.

Oh! so:

When I trigger the cc it starts recording immediately but records for the set number of bars rather than until I press again.

...this is still happening?

Yep

• Bugger. Okay, another thing to look into tomorrow.

• @Michael said:
    Bugger. Okay, another thing to look into tomorrow.

Soz man, hope you still like your job ;)

• @Michael the funny thing is that this feature specifically puts loopy above many other loopers (hardware or software). The ability to decide the length of the loop on the fly is a freaking miracle!

• Haha! You know that feature actually exists in Loopy legitimately, right, not just as a bug?

• @Michael said:
    Haha! You know that feature actually exists in Loopy legitimately, right, not just as a bug?

I know. That's why you're the greatest loop head out there. ;-)

• @supadom: Ah, okay. I see what's happening. It's mistakenly scheduling the count-out even when disabled by that MIDI trigger. Will have it fixed in the next version. Thanks for heads-up!

• @Munibeast, just wanted to get some more details:

The most serious one is that I still get the 1 second audio lag when LINK is on. It works for a little while and then it starts scrambling everything. It doesn't happen with LINK disabled.

Can you tell me a little more about that? What is lagged, here - is it the mic playthrough? Track playback? MIDI triggers? Count-in/out? Does it only happen with certain hardware plugged in, or does it happen with nothing plugged into the device? Does the lag begin as soon as you hit the LINK switch? Or do you need to be connected via LINK to another app/etc first? Forgive the inquisition, but I can't figure out how to reproduce this on my end so I need a little more guidance =)

My iRig BlueBoard, which just had the firmware updated for general MIDI over BT support sends the notes C, D, E and F but when I try to set up bindings in Loopy strangely all triggers are detected as C-1.

Have you tried this with any other apps, like MIDI Monitor?

I had some other weird things happen in the MIDI configuration like not being able to change the selection of sources without quitting the app.

Any more info on this? Plugging/unplugging my Beatstep and selecting/deselecting all seems to work as expected on my iPad Air 2/iOS 9.3.1.

• @Michael said:
    @supadom: Ah, okay. I see what's happening. It's mistakenly scheduling the count-out even when disabled by that MIDI trigger. Will have it fixed in the next version. Thanks for heads-up!

Niiiice. I'll be looking out for the beta. Cheers ☺

• @Michael said:
    @Munibeast, just wanted to get some more details:

The most serious one is that I still get the 1 second audio lag when LINK is on. It works for a little while and then it starts scrambling everything. It doesn't happen with LINK disabled.

Can you tell me a little more about that? What is lagged, here - is it the mic playthrough? Track playback? MIDI triggers? Count-in/out? Does it only happen with certain hardware plugged in, or does it happen with nothing plugged into the device? Does the lag begin as soon as you hit the LINK switch? Or do you need to be connected via LINK to another app/etc first? Forgive the inquisition, but I can't figure out how to reproduce this on my end so I need a little more guidance =)

My iRig BlueBoard, which just had the firmware updated for general MIDI over BT support sends the notes C, D, E and F but when I try to set up bindings in Loopy strangely all triggers are detected as C-1.

Have you tried this with any other apps, like MIDI Monitor?

I had some other weird things happen in the MIDI configuration like not being able to change the selection of sources without quitting the app.

Any more info on this? Plugging/unplugging my Beatstep and selecting/deselecting all seems to work as expected on my iPad Air 2/iOS 9.3.1.

About the lag: everything is completely scrambled when this kicks in. Loops that are currently playing as well as the incoming signal, which seems to be delayed around 1 sec.
    It happened with my apogee one plugged into the new usb3 camera adapter. I'll have to check if it happens with my other gear and without anything attached as well. And I'll also check if it's consistent on all 3 iOS devices. And I'm not sure now if this happened only with other apps linked or stand alone as well. I'll get back to you about that.

The blueboard problem is only happening in loopy. All other apps I tried recognize the notes C D E F correctly while loopy detects C-1 for all notes. So the blueboard is definitely not to blame here. Midi monitor shows C D E F in octave 5.

The last issue I'll have to see if it happens again. Might have been some weird coincidence.

I'll have to do some more thorough testing and will let you know my findings asap.

If you want I could send you my email for beta testing.

Cheers

• Okay, thanks for the details =)

The blueboard problem is only happening in loopy. All other apps I tried recognize the notes C D E F correctly while loopy detects C-1 for all notes. So the blueboard is definitely not to blame here. Midi monitor shows C D E F in octave 5.

Got it. Okay, looks like I need to dig up a Windows image for Virtualbox so I can update my Blueboard's firmware. Have you got any other MIDI hardware to try with, by the way?

If you want I could send you my email for beta testing.

Sure - that'd be helpful for if I managed to figure out what's going on =) loopyapp.com/testing

• @Munibeast, could you give me some pointers on how to get the Blueboard to do this? I downloaded a Windows VM and used IK's firmware updater on the Blueboard, and now I'm not quite sure what to do =) I connected it the usual way, with the Blueboard app, and Loopy's seeing the usual CC 0-3 coming in as expected. Is there another way to connect it?