Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Question for Loopy Masterpiece: In-app content store?

Hi folks!

Got a Loopy question for you Loopy-ers. I'm considering an in-app store for content within the upcoming Loopy Masterpiece Edition: packs of loops and one-shots that you can use in your own projects (commercial or otherwise), made by a variety of musicians, in a variety of styles.

I like the idea of having content available in there to augment people's creations, but on the other hand Loopy has never been a 'clip launcher'. Its focus has always been recording live loops, generating your own content. Masterpiece will have a few more clip launcher-ish features than Loopy, such as grouping (and some other stuff I wanna keep a surprise ;-)), but...it ain't truly what the app's about.

So I can see two sides to the idea, and rather than take a guess, I want to see what you guys think.

Hence, my question: would you use such a thing? Would you like to see a variety of content available for sale?

Poll
  1. Would you use an in-app content store in Loopy Masterpiece Edition?86 votes
    1. Hells yeah
      36.05%
    2. Nah, not my thing
      63.95%

Comments

• Hi Michael!
    Yes and yes.

• edited March 2016

Yessssss!

• I don't know if there's an investment/up front cost for this (beyond the small matter of hosting/facilitating a store), but folks buy them. I don't even use them that much and wouldn't describe myself as someone interested in generic loops (sounds so déclassé :)), but, I buy 'em.

• I think it's a good idea and it won't hurt if:
    1) Loopy ME will not contain any packs by default. I'm sick of ~1GB apps
    2) we will be able to delete packs easily if space is an issue
    3) there will be no annoying messages encouraging to buy loop packs

• @yug said:
    I think it's a good idea and it won't hurt if:

I'd even go further and say it'd be pretty to be able to delete individual samples in packs. There are often many I will NEVER use and would like, for reasons of space but also clarity, to be able to prune out the weak etc.

• I like the idea, especially if it's easy to delete to make space on your iPad.

• That sounds very sensible! Thanks, guys =)

• Loop packs not so much. Very much looking forward to grouping though.

• I'd say maybe add it in later and launch it as soon as possible without the content store. I just want to start using this as soon as possible and I think the content store would probably mean a lot of extra time before it can be released...

• Perhaps it is of a different matter, but I watched the youtube videos of masterpiece developpement yesterday and when it came to the slicing feature, I wished somehow that it would reach to the point where it would be possible to tweek loops, loops slice in different sequences lenght and orders, like let say blocs wave, takete, samplr. And with fx integration, I would see playable fx pads à la garageband ios.

What I mean is this: loop packs gets interesting when you can do more than just playing them as is.

• edited March 2016

I don't mind, and I also think it's a good idea to build an ecosystem, and if I can apply to submit a soundpack I'll be glad and will do my best as well !
    But, I'm not that interested to buy samples personally...
    Of course I did buy some, for instance, some of Novations / Launchpad packs are really great (except that I had to resample and export everything, because app is useless in an advanced environment) but finally, I rarely use them...
    I get so much more creative with apps links based...

• I voted 'not my thing' but wanted to say so long as there weren't popups it would't put me off in the slightest. Think it's a great idea actually. I imagine lots and lots of loopers would be really happy to have a set of quality drum loops to start tunes with instead of a metronome.

Reckon you'd sell even more if they came as verse/chorus pairs of loops which would serve to exploit new scene features in ME. Actually, presuming the concept of stacks still exists in ME, would be even cooler if they could be downloaded as stacks groups. Then you could have a drum loop track in different scene groups and quickly choose which loop you want use from the stack without having to faff around with manually putting different loops in different places.

Actually, maybe I'm a yes... :)

• Voted no, but it wouldn't bother me so long as it didn't add bloat.

This reminds me that SoundPrism used to sell instruments in the app for a while. Selling instruments can't be as lucrative as the loop packs, I guess, but since you guys might be making a store anyway, how about putting one in SoundPrism LE with an expanded range of presets that utilize the engine, or even an IAP to unlock some of the synth options?

Thread hijack over.

• Voted no too, have so much sample content...and if thisneeds time to implement, i vote no no no
    Please invest in essential not aditional....
    Coffeeeee

• Also voted no but wouldn't be that bothered if I could choose not to have default sample content. If it helps fund future development I am all for it but would probably be willing to pay for the option to delete content in many apps.

One thing I am really hoping for is a browser where I can make my own folders like audioshare. It gets kind of messy and limiting when a single 'user' folder is filled with kicks, snares, bass loops etc.

• I think it is a grand idea. I don't use premade stuff myself but I can imagine that will make the app a sustainable venture for the future rather than living off Loopy's global success.

As others mentioned the ability to clear all loops from the app to save space would be massively great.

Looking forward to a progress update.

• I think the new standard should be the 'option' of both. and everything deletable.

• For me, the ability to import loops and files easily from different sources is much more important. But however I am Very interested in the clip launching prospects of Loopy MP :)

• You guys (Loopy/AB devs) completely understand our position as musicians (sample-creators) so I have zero fear that you'd create some pre-packaged loop jukebox. I know you guys wouldn't be so invasive about a content store that it would interfere with those not interested. Thus this is a win/win, cuz you guys make more revenue to support yourselves, and those that want loops can get them. So definitely go for it, I say. Anything to avoid a world where I have to have monthly subscriptions for apps, paid out of my penniless useless bank account.

• Emphatic NO if it means any delay in the release of Loopy Masterpiece. Otherwise, I honestly don't care.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@yug said:

I'd even go further and say it'd be pretty to be able to delete individual samples in packs. There are often many I will NEVER use and would like, for reasons of space but also clarity, to be able to prune out the weak etc.

+1

• Having loop packs as an option makes a lot of sense. Think of it as opening up the app to a whole new market, yet not being an issue for those that don't want them. They don't have to buy them!

• @AndyE said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@yug said:

+1

+1 too

• I like to use my own stuff so I wouldn't buy it but I don't mind it being there for those who want it.

• Other peoples loops can be great idea generators whether you end up actually using them or not. I say go for it.

• Have to add that the ability (in Blocs) to simply set a loop point/sort-of-edit the wave is a nice thing also. Offers a lot of different 'looks' for every sample...

• It sounds a great idea but its not for me. At least thats what I thought. Thinking about ThumbJam, I never thought I would use all those extra instruments but they are amazing. On that vein, definitely maybe

• I myself would not be interested in purchasing content, but I would be interested in submitting content for others to purchase...

• @Deb said:
    I myself would not be interested in purchasing content, but I would be interested in submitting content for others to purchase...

Brilliant answer and proof finally that there is a professional in our raggedy midst...