Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Waldorf Nave your first impressions

Comments

• i've been having lots of fun with the vocal synth part of Nave today - a standalone app of just that would be worth a buck or two.

• I have a bunch of wavetables extracted from various synths, mostly regular wav/mono/44.1khz stuff, I thought would be fun to add to the wavetable library in Nave. But it always crashes when trying to import really short wavetables, both from iTunes file sharing and audio paste. Are there any requirements for what length, format and so on the wave files must be for Nave to handle them?

Also btw, having a file/folder manager for your own wavetables would be useful

• edited June 2013

You know the 3 different main performance options, ie. the keyboard, the blades and the XY pads? What's the use of having the XY pads as an option, as you can't actually play anything when they're on screen! I assume I'm missing something really obvious. Are they for manipulating loops after they've been recorded in the 4 track recorder?

• I guess with the xy pads you have to be either sustaining a sound triggered via the keyboard in hold mode, or receiving midi notes from another source.

• Or the arp

• yeah - in one of the demo videos they say 'you can even have another extra set of x/y pads turned on if you're using an external midi keyboard" to play notes

• I think the main intention of the extra xy pads is when you are playing via a midi keyboard, but the above suggestions should work too. Having fun with the x-touch and y-touch controls!

• What's the best way to use an external midi controller and use the CCK to connect to an audio interface ?

• Powered usb.

• Ah, of course - an external keyboard! Thanks, guys!

• @mgmg4871 will this give audio out and midi in/out at the same time ?

• If your audio interface is compatible with USB hub it should work. A USB hub connects multiple devices to a single USB port audio and midi. In this case via cck. My audio interface Akai EIE does this without USB hub.

• I use the Apogee Duet for iPad, it charges my IPad and also has a USB port where you could plug your USB device. I use a powered USB hub so I could plug more than one device into my interface,works like a charm.

• See attached a list of tested interface with the iPad

http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

• There's a nasty bug in there, at least if you're using your own wavetables to make presets. Changing presets back n forth it will sometimes load (and save/keep) the wrong wavetable, and maybe even change some parameters in the process. Don't know yet how to reproduce it step by step, could have something to do with changing names on the presets (just a thought). So keep backups of your bank/presets just to be safe, until Waldorf have fixed this.

• edited June 2013

This may have been covered, but if you double tap upper right side of Waldorf logo, there's a Easter egg. Swipe lef/ right and up down to change vScale and hScale.

• @mgmg4871 will try the USB hub method and fingers crossed I can get high quality sound and midi control at the same time :)

• Paul B heck yes! I've used it to create a bunch of very deep evolving sounds. I still like my Palm apps just fine and will continue to use them, but Nave is a patch designer's dream! Heck, you can ignore the wavetables and it's still a must-have for me!

• Post 'em then, I'm perfectly willing to be convinced.

• not my clip, but none of these sound like the 80s (i'll admit a few of em are harsh).

• Waldorf synths certainly have characteristics that sets them apart, but unfortunately I seem to really dislike those characteristics. Sorry.

• edited June 2013

no need to apologize - you know what tools suit you best. And we are lucky to have TONS of them to choose from!

• Just another Nave video not mine but I wanted to share.

• edited June 2013

Ok so I'm working a new preset bank. Nave is just really really fun to mess around in, and with the clean interface it makes it really simple to alter or create your own stuff from scratch. Even for me, and I'm no sound designer and only know the very basics when it comes to synthesis. I only got around 20 presets so far (most using new wavetables), if there's any interest for new Nave banks and presets I'll set up a link for it. But since Nave still got some probs I'll probably stop creating presets for a while and keep on filling up/updating the bank as time goes by. Maybe do a "preset share: insert synth name thread(s). Are you guys creating presets yet? Would be awesome to have an off topic sub forum here for this kind of stuff.

Anyway what ruins all the fun here is that it is so prone to crashing when going through wavetables (on iPad 2 latest iOS). So that preset you've been working on for 30 min-1 hr will be gone forever when it crashes. And crash it will, all the time. Besides memory management improvements I think Nave really needs a "redundancy" backup system that constantly saves the preset you're working on in a tucked away backup file in the background, after every single change to any of the parameters. So when it crashes it can call that backup-preset up again. Get on it Waldorf/Tempo Rubato. :)

• I'm always down for presets : ) love hearing what other come up with

• Cool. Will try to have it done tomorrow, getting late here. And my head is spinning from all the Nave...ing? K pzz out

• Haha "Man I was naving so hard last night, I naved till the break of dawn....Nave On!!! ||nn||

• edited December 2013

Ok so I put together a sound demo for some of the presets currently in the bank. Made and slapped together on tablet clip-on speakers SO PLEASE WATCH YOUR EARS.

• @ChrisG - some really nice sounds there - expressive, powerful, beautiful.